Kids Today

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
A friend's son who is British is teaching in Japan. During his interview process, he was warned, an actually given a pamphlet in Japanese about some of the things teachers can face in Japan.

One of the things is that school kids try and stick their fingers up the backsides of their teachers, sort of the equivalent of drawing a willy on a blackboard. Done to humiliate the teacher and get a laugh from the other kids.

Now there is no way I'm googling this but has anyone else heard of it? Or is he just winding his mum up? (pretty weird if he is).

Tribble

Furry Idiot
A friend's son who is British is teaching in Japan. During his interview process, he was warned, an actually given a pamphlet in Japanese about some of the things teachers can face in Japan.

One of the things is that school kids try and stick their fingers up the backsides of their teachers, sort of the equivalent of drawing a willy on a blackboard. Done to humiliate the teacher and get a laugh from the other kids.

Now there is no way I'm googling this but has anyone else heard of it? Or is he just winding his mum up? (pretty weird if he is).
Kancho!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanchō

It gets sillier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boong-Ga_Boong-Ga

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

Ddong-chim in Korean.

Yes, it very much exists. Young child puts both hands together, extends both index and middle finger as if forming an imaginary pistol, and then waits for an opportunity to thrust this between the cheeks. It's a bit like a playful 'gotcha!' and not designed to humiliate. More like 'bunny ears' behind a person's head.

I had a child do it to me in my first job.

He didn't do it a second time.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Amazing. In the UK, this would meet the strict legal criteria for sexual assault.

How has this behaviour survived into the 21st century CE, anywhere?
Because we're talking about little kids and there is no sexual intent.

Generally, East Asian cultures have far fewer hangups about physical contact between adults and children and most haven't let paedo-mania disrupt normal interaction. In many cases, a child's playschool or elementary school teacher is very well-known to the family--they will certainly have each other's private phone numbers and will exchange gifts and greetings regularly. There have been abuse scandals that rocked Korea and Japan, but they didn't result in changes of culture, only law.

I don't teach young children now, but when I did I would pick them up and swing them around like nephews and nieces, and when I got paid I'd treat them to doughnuts or buy small toys out of my own pocket as rewards for good work.

I would never dream of teaching children in the UK, although I did briefly do adult EFL classes in London.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
I don't teach young children now, but when I did I would pick them up and swing them around like nephews and nieces, and when I got paid I'd treat them to doughnuts or buy small toys out of my own pocket as rewards for good work.
So after my own heart, I could have written that.

Growing up in Glasgow, my uncle was the recently deceased Billy McNeill, of Celtic fame.

Would always have me laughing, the highlight being when I had a swing around from him.

'Right... hold on tight... here we go...'.

Happy, innocent, memories... :)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I speak now of Korea and not Japan, which I know far less well, but until these last few years I'd say that despite an advanced economy, technology and infrastructure, Korean society was something akin to what I take to be England in the 50s and 60s in key respects. The country was quite small-c conservative, extended families were the norm and community cohesion was very high due to ethnic and cultural homogeneity. There was nothing like equality, but in tacit adherence to Confucian thought, everybody was assigned a role and all those pulling their weight were respected to a degree. This, of course, resulted in big advantages but notable drawbacks.

On the positive side of the ledger, children were viewed partially as a communal project. Not only were child-rearing duties shared among aunts, uncles and grandparents who lived nearby, but relations between children and their neighbours and family friends were often very close. I don't just mean familial in spirit, I mean they would often carry out interactions which might normally be reserved for parents: washing, feeding, chastisement--although seldom physical.

This is still true in some places, but in spite of growing equality most people in Korea are notably wealthier than a generation ago and--as we all know--money changes everything, for good and for ill.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Ddong-chim in Korean.

Yes, it very much exists. Young child puts both hands together, extends both index and middle finger as if forming an imaginary pistol, and then waits for an opportunity to thrust this between the cheeks. It's a bit like a playful 'gotcha!' and not designed to humiliate. More like 'bunny ears' behind a person's head.

I had a child do it to me in my first job.

He didn't do it a second time.
If little Kim attempts to put his ddong anywhere near me he will encounter the traditional UK police riposte of AirWair, where l respond by inserting eight laceholes into his hoop.

maximus otter