Kids Today

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I don't think I'd be comfortable on his plane, really. But that's almost unbelievable that he learned do pilot it in that way, though I suppose I'd be even more incredulous if he'd taken to the air.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
15-year-old sends tweets from her fridge after mother confiscates phone

She resorted to drastic measures after action taken ‘so I’d pay more attention to my surroundings’

Dorothy, who declined to share her last name, says her mother disciplined her two weeks ago after she got too distracted while cooking and caused a fire.
She then started twittering using her Nintendo. After her mum discovered & shut that down, she went on to her Wii U & sent tweets from that. After her mum discovered & took her Wii U away, she found she could tweet from her smart fridge. “I’m talking to my fridge what the heck,” she said.

LG did not respond to request for comment, but its website confirms the refrigerator does have social media capabilities, and the tweet source confirms it was sent from the device.
Kudos for ingenuity & determination.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Because the others they picked, youtube whore and vlogger whatever is the easiest thing, just laziness is it not?

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Why would a fridge need social media capabilities?
Presumably so it can advertise itself on your social media account.

"Gosh, I'm keeping Shady's food really cold with my awesome refrigeration capabilitites! #itssomuchfunbeingafridge"

"Hey, you are about to run out of milk and that carrot has gone a bit mouldy #handyhavingatalkingfridgeisntit?, #whatdoyoumeanitsreallyannoying?

"17th beer of the night, are you sure you haven't had too many? #drinkaware, #bigbrotheriswatchingyou."

INT21

Antediluvian
'Damn you, fridge. I'll unplug you. Show you who's boss'.

'I wouldn't do that if I was you. I have been talking to the car. And we agree that you may not make it to work tomorrow'.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
At least this kid had some prior "experience" and acted responsibly in ending his little runaway road trip ...

Germany: 8-year-old goes on highway joyride with mom’s car

Police say an 8-year-old boy took his mom’s car and went for a nighttime joyride on a highway in western Germany.

Soest police said the boy’s mother called them early Wednesday after she noticed that both her son and her VW Golf had disappeared.

Mother and police eventually found the boy at a highway service area where he’d parked the car, turned on the hazard lights and put up the warning triangle.

According to police, the boy said he started feeling “uncomfortable” once he hit 140 kph (87 mph) on the highway.

The boy’s mother said her son regularly drives go-carts and bumper cars and has in the past practiced driving a real car on private property.
SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/be42e6c8294146afb027db37f8ad47dd

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
At least this kid had some prior "experience" and acted responsibly in ending his little runaway road trip ...
SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/be42e6c8294146afb027db37f8ad47dd
That was the last episode, from only a couple of days ago ... Here's the new episode ...

The combination of:

(a) failing to absorb the message;
(b) repeating the offense in even wilder fashion; and
(c) being formally referred for psychological counseling

... would seem to even more starkly illustrate this story's relevance to the thread theme - i.e., kids today.

Boy takes mom’s car for German autobahn joyride - again!

An 8-year-old boy got a stern talking-to earlier this week when he took his mom’s Volkswagen for a joyride on the German autobahn, but after pulling the stunt again — hitting speeds of 180 kph (112 mph) — he’s been put into psychological counselling.

Dortmund police said Friday the grade-schooler stole the keys to the Golf around midnight and drove from his hometown Soest to Dortmund, about 50 kilometers (30 miles) away.

Police say another motorist reported the child driving at high speeds in the city, saying “red lights and driving regulations did not seem to interest” him.

As police searched for the vehicle, the boy drove out of town and crashed into the rear of a parked truck at a rest stop. Nobody was injured but the Golf was badly damaged.
SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/f039fe082e9f49edb7cb01be4028da5a

GerdaWordyer

Abominable Snowman
Long before "smart" fridges, the teenage son of a colleague imagined and recorded this fridge dialogue as an answering machine message: "Hello. This is Alix's fridge. The answering machine isn't working, but if you leave a message with me, I will write it on a piece of paper and stick it to myself with a magnet." I can't imagine a connected fridge coming up with something so clever. The message I left was that her teen was adorable.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
"Screens could be killing off the imaginary friend, according to nursery bosses, as a new survey found the majority of staff believe the childhood tradition is in danger of dying out.

Fewer children are now thought to claim invisible companions as their own, which has prompted concerns that imaginations are being adversely affected.

A study of 1,000 nursery workers indicates that almost three in four nursery owners, managers and staff think fewer children have imaginary friends now than five years ago."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ds-have-imaginary-friend-nursery-workers-say/

Paywalled, but you get the gist.

maximus otter