Kids Today

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Youngest has been having trouble toilet training her boy.
When he found out she was talking to me today he asked to have facetime then went to use the toilet much to her delight.
I used to leave the potty training with my kids until they were ready. Comes a time when they notice the Big Boys and Big Girls nipping to the loo and they want some too. They might have been a couple of weeks behind their cousins but there was no drama. Thank you, Dr Spock.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well he's 4 now and she hoped he'd be trained by now. She's tried charts for rewards, rewards for actions, praise, using cheap pullups that are not so comfy but has had no luck.
My friends with grandsons have found the same thing.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Well he's 4 now and she hoped he'd be trained by now. She's tried charts for rewards, rewards for actions, praise, using cheap pullups that are not so comfy but has had no luck.
Shaming? Tell him that the big boys do the poop properly, and if he wants to be a big boy, he's got to do it himself.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
He's not ready. You can't make them do it if their bodies aren't mature enough. Pushing the issue makes it worse.

At least one of mine was four when the penny dropped.
Used to frustrate me a bit but then I'd think It's not a competition. Their body knows what's best for them.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
Shaming? Tell him that the big boys do the poop properly, and if he wants to be a big boy, he's got to do it himself.

I think modern kids are beyond shame

How do you know it's not an interoception issue? Not sure if the "let's shame a human being" idea is a joke or not, sorry.

Fluttermoth

Cult of Jari
Reaction score
Toilet training is something that everyone (excluding the severely disabled) gets in the end. I did the same as Scargy, and my three all got the hang of it within a week or so, once they were ready. I don't believe any charts, rewards or, god forbid, shaming will work, it's literally just time.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I picked that word so it wouldn't be as provocative as the word 'normal'.
But there you go, I can't please anybody.

I have no idea on links between interception and autism (truly), but perhaps you might consider the comment that suggests Frideswide is obsessive warrants an apology--on or off thread.

Entirely up to you, of course.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I have no idea on links between interception and autism (truly), but perhaps you might consider the comment that suggests Frideswide is obsessive warrants an apology--on or off thread.

Entirely up to you, of course.
Already did, thank you.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure this sort of thing fills me with glee.

E_l05pmXsAQBgOR.jpeg

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Tennessee teen allegedly shot mother in head at close range for confiscating his cell phone
Jessica Schladebeck 44 mins ago

A Tennessee teen accused of shooting his sleeping mother in the head allegedly fired off the fatal shot because she confiscated his cell phone.
Shawn Willis has been charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of his mother, Sandy Willis. According to authorities, he was only 17 years old when he crept into his mother’s bedroom inside their Rocky Top home and then used a handgun she kept in her nightstand to kill her.
By the time police arrived on the scene the night of April 20, 2020, Sandy was already dead.
With is father’s permission, Shawn Willis voluntarily agreed to be interviewed by investigators in wake of the shooting. He reportedly confessed to snatching the gun and then going into another room to load it so now to wake his sleeping mother. When he returned, he said he shot her at close range in the head.
Details surrounding the case were mostly unknown, but newly released juvenile court documents obtained by WATE provide some insight into the slaying.
Shawn allegedly told investigators he was annoyed with his mother for taking away his cell phone earlier in the night.
Prosecutors are charging Willis, who has since turned 18, as an adult. He is being held in the Anderson County Jail with a bond set at $1 million.

Mr. Banooka

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
My 8 year old had ink marks all over his lower right arm earlier this week. My wife asked him “George, what’s that on your arm”?. “Oh, I drew a penis” was his reply. And yes when she looked up close it was in fact a ‘cock and balls’ the length of his lower arm. Thankfully it wasn’t spurting. Apparently he had drawn it in school and had been walking around with his ‘tattoo’ all day!