• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kids Today

Some days I feel positive about today's youth.

Other days, not so much.

SmartSelect_20211129-115747_Samsung Internet.jpg

Kudos to her, but the world can live without ironing I think, I'm pretty sure civilization would not collapse due to a creased shirt, i would actually campaign to ban ironing worldwide to save energy :)
Reminds me of the scenes in Robocop when terrorists are contaminating cosmetics, and the TV newsreaders look more and more unkempt as their make-up departments run out of supplies. :chuckle:

Those punks, (if they are punks, which I doubt) are the cutest and most unthreatening punks ever

Youngest's Father in law died unexpectedly and they were trying to explain to 4 year old why Poppy wasn't there anymore.
They told him that Poppy was now a star in the sky to which he replied " Well I'm going to build a rocket ship and bring him back."

Comfortably numb They all love their devices don't they?
Daughter had wanted to dress her 4 year old in something dark for the funeral, But the only darkish ones were of Ghostbusters and Here we go which she thought weren't appropriate so she let him wear his Pokemon shirt and Mario hat.

They all love their devices don't they?
That's a snapshot from our recent trip to Edinburgh. There was hardly a moment when granddaughter (using my mobile's WiFi hotspot) did not give a running video commentary, either via her own mobile, or iPad, to various friends. :)

A Florida teacher attacked by an out-of-control 5-year-old special needs student ended up with a concussion and multiple injuries that may require surgical repairs.
Florida teacher beaten and hospitalized after attack by 5-year-old student, police say

A south Florida teacher was taken to the hospital last week after she was attacked by a 5-year-old student, leaving her "dazed" and "unresponsive" ...

The unidentified instructor was found by first responders “sitting on the ground against the wall" and "appearing to be in a faint state" at Pines Lakes Elementary School, about 15 miles southwest of downtown Fort Lauderdale ...

The victim was "clearly weak and dazed," able to "blink and breathe regularly but at no point was able to vocally respond or show signs of a response" ...

The troubling incident started when a 5-year-old boy had to be removed from class for “throwing things around” and “flipping the chairs” ...

The youngster was taken to an empty “cool down” room, where the attack on the teacher allegedly took place ...

The victim, in her late 30s or early 40s, is about 5-foot-4 with a slender frame, Broward Teachers Union President Anna Fusco told NBC News ...

She suffered a concussion and other injuries after the "enraged" special education student, between 50 and 60 pounds, unleashed on the teacher, according to the union chief.

The instructor had been leading an "exceptional student education" class with a "group of children with some type of special needs or special disability, with all kinds of different diagnoses" ...

"The way he pounced on her and the way she fell backwards and smacked her head, it was a severe concussion," Fusco said.

"She's got some other bodily injuries from him jumping on her, attacking her, kicking, punching, biting that's going to lead to surgery." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna18961

Boy, 13, drove truck that struck van and killed 9, including 6 from University of Southwest golf team, in Texas

The pickup truck had crossed into the opposite lane on a two-lane West Texas highway before colliding head-on with a University of Southwest van, National Transportation Safety Board Vice Chairman Bruce Landsberg said on Thursday.

It’s unclear how fast the two vehicles were traveling, but according to Landsberg, it was ‘clearly a high speed collision.’
The left front tire of the truck was a spare, which blew and sent the truck into the northbound lane where it collided head-on with the van, officials said.

Passengers in the van were members of University of Southwest’s men’s and women’s golf teams and their coach. Six students, as well as their 26-year-old coach, died in the fiery crash.

Two Canadian students on the team, Dayton Price, 19 and Hayden Underhill, 20, were hospitalized in critical condition following the collision.

Also killed in the crash were Henrich Siemens, 38, of Seminole County, Texas, and an unidentified 13-year-old boy, who authorities say was the one driving the 2007 Dodge 2500 pickup truck. It’s unclear who was driving the university’s van.
1647554937081.png

Brilliant story today from the US where a 13 year old boy notices the school bus driver has taken ill and manages to take control of the bus. There is a video at the link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65431744

Sixty-six Michigan school students are all safe thanks to one quick-thinking 13-year-old who steered the school bus to safety after the driver lost consciousness, officials said.
Dillon Reeves of Carter Middle School in Warren leapt to the front from his seat about five rows back before taking control of the wheel.
A video shows the bus driver messaging officials that she is not feeling well.
The town is hailing the schoolboy as a hero.
Good on you young man!

Her reaction was a tad OTT. Thjose who locked the dormitory also bear responsibility for the deaths,

A deadly fire at a school dormitory in Guyana appears to have been started by a pupil who was angry her mobile phone had been confiscated, officials say.

Nineteen people - mostly female students - were killed in the blaze in the South American country in the early hours of Monday. The dorm was reportedly locked and had covered windows which trapped victims.

The teenage suspect is currently in hospital with burns, and has reportedly admitted to the arson. Authorities are now taking advice on whether to charge her, according to a government source who spoke to the AFP news agency.

The fire was started in the bathroom area and eventually tore through the whole building, which was partially made of wood and was housing 57 pupils at the time.

Survivors of the incident in the central town of Mahdia spoke of being woken up in the middle of the night by screams.

The girl is accused of threatening her attack after being disciplined for having a relationship with an older man, according to an Associated Press report.

It has emerged that the dorm administrator - who lost her five-year-old son in the fire - was unable to locate the keys to unlock the door in her state of panic.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-65691848

When he was younger my grandson used to say that he was going to marry their friend's daughter who is 4 years older.
This school holidays he went for a playdate while his parents were working and on asking how it went he said that it was boring as she treated him like a little kid. He's 6 now.

Comfortably numb They all love their devices don't they?
Nice generalisation there.
I've seen parents use tablets to act as entertainment for their children. It's the same as when parents would pull out their child's favourite toy car, story book etc. I've heard moaners in the pub, complaining about 'youths' on their mobile phones ... while using mobile phones themselves. If you don't want to answer the 'phone then don't. It's not obligatory.
So is it the children's 'fault' that they use a device like a tablet, or the parents?
Frankly, it's a matter of perspective. There's nothing wrong with children using electronic gadgets but there has to be proportion.
When growing up, I'd have loved game stations, tablets, mobile 'phones but they didn't exist at the time. Technology use is what generations are brought up to and bemoaning children using the current tech is somewhat disingenuous.

And even at that age, he's proving the old assertion that top darts players tend to be overweight in order to throw from a more stable platform.

Back