Kids Today

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My youngest has to work from home some days. On Friday when the phone rang her 4 year old asked if it was Nanna. When she said "No" he asked who it was then?
She replied "Mario" and he became very excited because he's a fan of the Mario party games.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
sticking nicotine pouches up their arses.

If it does to their arses and foreskins what Skoal Bandits did to the cheeks and jaws of users, some young Swedes are in for a rude awakening!

I had not previously connected the name Skoal with Skol, the Scandinavian toast - and Godawful lager - but the popularity of this habit there seems to have been responsible for the branding.

Browsing for more on the subject of Skoal Bandits suggests that the Web may be burying the traces. You have to dig with +Cancer to find some of the more alarming images. More than gum disease! :(

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd never heard of this modern Swedish tradition, but, as the article explains, it's one with beneficial effects for children in terms of health, forward planning and financial independence.

Lördagsgodis: Sweden’s Saturday-only candy tradition
By Maddy Savage
https://twitter.com/@maddysavage
8th October 2021

Swedish children look forward to the weekend for their once-weekly candy fix. But beyond being a treat, these Saturday sweets teach a bigger lesson.

[...]

Swedes are so into the norm of buying and eating candy on Saturdays they’ve even got a special word for it: lördagsgodis, which literally translates to ‘Saturday sweets’.

“Lördagsgodis has always been ‘a thing’,” says Robert Lundin, who grew up in the 80s and has just bought marshmallows with his five-year-old daughter. “You wait for Saturday to get your candy. And it's like a small, big event with your parents. And now I do it with my daughter as well.”

The lördagsgodis concept dates to the 1950s. Swedish medical authorities began recommending sweets as a once-a-week treat, to try and limit rising cases of tooth decay as the country became richer, says Sofi Tegsveden Deveaux, an author and lecturer on Swedish culture and values. Swedes’ propensity to “trust the state a lot” encouraged them to follow and stick to the advice to restrict eating sweets to Saturdays, she argues, with the trend evolving into the beloved family-oriented activity that exists today.

Details follow:
https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20211004-lrdagsgodis-swedens-saturday-only-candy-tradition

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
If it does to their arses and foreskins what Skoal Bandits did to the cheeks and jaws of users, some young Swedes are in for a rude awakening!

I had not previously connected the name Skoal with Skol, the Scandinavian toast - and Godawful lager - but the popularity of this habit there seems to have been responsible for the branding.

Browsing for more on the subject of Skoal Bandits suggests that the Web may be burying the traces. You have to dig with +Cancer to find some of the more alarming images. More than gum disease! :(
As you'll know, Skoal Bandits and the like are banned in the UK on the grounds of their ferocious danger to health.

The company fought hard against the ban especially after securing government funding to build a European distribution centre at East Kilbride. For a while it looked as if we'd be flooded with the stuff.

Do you remember Esther Rantzen campaigning against it? She's someone people looked up to and they listened.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
No one batted an eyelid at this sort of thing when I was going to school.

A student bought an old hand grenade into a history lesson, causing part of the school to be evacuated, police have said.

Officers were called to Parkside Community School in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, at 11:00 BST on Wednesday.

Students and staff were ordered to clear the area while a military bomb disposal team was contacted.

The grenade was examined and the team confirmed the weapon had been decommissioned.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-58909456

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Indian teen inventor's solar-powered ironing cart

Ironing vendors are common across India. The irons are heated using charcoal, a fuel that contributes to air pollution. But Vinisha Umashankar, a 14-year-old girl from Tamil Nadu, has found a clean solution.

Vinisha's invention has been nominated for this year's Earthshot Prize.
video at link.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
the world can live without ironing I think

Mainly, I concur. Then I laundered my downstairs curtains . . .

"Those creases will soon fall out!"

No sign of that.

They need replacing! I am on the lookout! Better by far new curtains than an ironing board! Why are they so hideous?

I have a steam-iron and two, cute travel irons. None of them plugged in for years. The table I once ironed on is now under the telly.

Yes, the world can live without ironing! :)

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

No sign of that.

They need replacing! I am on the lookout! Better by far new curtains than an ironing board! Why are they so hideous?

I have a steam-iron and two, cute travel irons. None of them plugged in for years. The table I once ironed on is now under the telly.

I find that if you take things straight out of the tumble drier as soon as its finished and fold it, there is no need to iron, take your bedding off your bed, wash it, dry it, stick it back on the bed job done, you could try that with your curtains :)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

No sign of that.

Go to a launderette. Use their washing machine and giant dryer to launder it.
For some reason, a bigger air dryer helps the creases drop out.
If that fails... ahh well, it might be the material that is the problem.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The best thing about the pandemic was that our iron didn't get used for 18 months.

Granted I only ever ironed five shirts a week, but that was one chore I don't miss. Just one, maybe two per week now.

MrsCarlos never irons any of her clothes. She thinks it's a scam.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I hate ironing too & avoid wherever possible but an ironed shirt is way better than a crumpled one. It’s even more pleasant to wear. Wouldn't bother with anything else though.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Yes, to all the above! Keeping the wash small has an effect on the creases. Four or five shirts max. in a domestic machine.

Tumble-drying does not suit some fabrics. Better to hang them up, straight from the spin cycle. Definitely, don't let them languish for long in the drum!

The fabric itself is key. I had some lovely classic shirts that never creased, though they were not trumpeted as non-iron. Just poly-cotton but it is all in the weave, I guess. Pure cotton is a nightmare!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I'm hoping to be sewing with silk fabrics later. They need to be pressed first and it's always a worry that I'll burn them. :(

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

No sign of that.

I did that once, walked funny for a week, haven't been the same since...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I'm hoping to be sewing with silk fabrics later. They need to be pressed first and it's always a worry that I'll burn them. :(
Use greaseproof paper or some other cloth on top as a protective layer.