• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kids Today

Why would a fridge need social media capabilities?
Presumably so it can advertise itself on your social media account.

"Gosh, I'm keeping Shady's food really cold with my awesome refrigeration capabilitites! #itssomuchfunbeingafridge"

"Hey, you are about to run out of milk and that carrot has gone a bit mouldy #handyhavingatalkingfridgeisntit?, #whatdoyoumeanitsreallyannoying?

"17th beer of the night, are you sure you haven't had too many? #drinkaware, #bigbrotheriswatchingyou."

Opens fridge for another beer, "I'm afraid i can't allow you to do that" says the fridge.

'Damn you, fridge. I'll unplug you. Show you who's boss'.

'I wouldn't do that if I was you. I have been talking to the car. And we agree that you may not make it to work tomorrow'.

'Dave, you know I have every confidence in you reaching work unharmed tomorrow.'

At least this kid had some prior "experience" and acted responsibly in ending his little runaway road trip ...

Germany: 8-year-old goes on highway joyride with mom’s car

Police say an 8-year-old boy took his mom’s car and went for a nighttime joyride on a highway in western Germany.

Soest police said the boy’s mother called them early Wednesday after she noticed that both her son and her VW Golf had disappeared.

Mother and police eventually found the boy at a highway service area where he’d parked the car, turned on the hazard lights and put up the warning triangle.

According to police, the boy said he started feeling “uncomfortable” once he hit 140 kph (87 mph) on the highway.

The boy’s mother said her son regularly drives go-carts and bumper cars and has in the past practiced driving a real car on private property.

SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/be42e6c8294146afb027db37f8ad47dd

At least this kid had some prior "experience" and acted responsibly in ending his little runaway road trip ...
SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/be42e6c8294146afb027db37f8ad47dd

That was the last episode, from only a couple of days ago ... Here's the new episode ...

The combination of:

(a) failing to absorb the message;
(b) repeating the offense in even wilder fashion; and
(c) being formally referred for psychological counseling

... would seem to even more starkly illustrate this story's relevance to the thread theme - i.e., kids today.

Boy takes mom’s car for German autobahn joyride - again!

An 8-year-old boy got a stern talking-to earlier this week when he took his mom’s Volkswagen for a joyride on the German autobahn, but after pulling the stunt again — hitting speeds of 180 kph (112 mph) — he’s been put into psychological counselling.

Dortmund police said Friday the grade-schooler stole the keys to the Golf around midnight and drove from his hometown Soest to Dortmund, about 50 kilometers (30 miles) away.

Police say another motorist reported the child driving at high speeds in the city, saying “red lights and driving regulations did not seem to interest” him.

As police searched for the vehicle, the boy drove out of town and crashed into the rear of a parked truck at a rest stop. Nobody was injured but the Golf was badly damaged.

SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/f039fe082e9f49edb7cb01be4028da5a

Long before "smart" fridges, the teenage son of a colleague imagined and recorded this fridge dialogue as an answering machine message: "Hello. This is Alix's fridge. The answering machine isn't working, but if you leave a message with me, I will write it on a piece of paper and stick it to myself with a magnet." I can't imagine a connected fridge coming up with something so clever. The message I left was that her teen was adorable.

I left an exact message on my brothers answerphone, years ago, he said get rid of it, but people were liking it, it made them smile
Exact, was it?

"Screens could be killing off the imaginary friend, according to nursery bosses, as a new survey found the majority of staff believe the childhood tradition is in danger of dying out.

Fewer children are now thought to claim invisible companions as their own, which has prompted concerns that imaginations are being adversely affected.

A study of 1,000 nursery workers indicates that almost three in four nursery owners, managers and staff think fewer children have imaginary friends now than five years ago."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ds-have-imaginary-friend-nursery-workers-say/

Paywalled, but you get the gist.

maximus otter

I can imagine a whole community of imaginary friends packing their bags and moving out of town, trying to find somewhere that has no Internet or mobile phone access.

It would have been more trendy to use a flying drone, but I suppose a passé radio-controlled car was the better approach.
Boy suspected of using remote control car to smuggle drugs

California authorities have arrested a 16-year-old boy suspected of using a remote-controlled car to transport $106,000 worth of methamphetamine across the border.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reported Tuesday that the boy was arrested Sunday near the Otay Mesa Port of Entry in San Diego.

Border patrol agents say they believe someone on the south of the U.S.-Mexico border was able to slip the car filled with drugs through a gap in the fencing and then drive it to the teen waiting on the other side.

Authorities say an agent found the boy hiding near the border Sunday with a toy car and 50 packages of methamphetamine weighing more than 55 pounds (25 kilograms).

Authorities say the car would have had to make multiple trips to transport the drugs.
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/1736c14e4ada4b2ab3df5de95e7cb6ee

t would have been more trendy to use a flying drone, but I suppose a passé radio-controlled car was the better approach.

Authorities are pretty much on to drones carrying/transporting drugs. It was actually a good idea except that the teen didn't check his surroundings out in advance. I wonder how long they were doing that before they got caught.

Authorities are pretty much on to drones carrying/transporting drugs. It was actually a good idea except that the teen didn't check his surroundings out in advance. I wonder how long they were doing that before they got caught.

A drone would have been a stupid approach to try at the border - it's too easily detected.

It probably wasn't a great idea to sit in one place until the "recipient" had accumulated that large a load of contraband. It would have taken a while for the R/C car to transport the packages, and that would have increased the probability of the boy being spotted and surveilled for suspicious behavior.

Well. I'd just use a dog. Put a large raincoat on it, and tape me drugs inside. I'd walk the bugger for a few months till the border guards got used to seeing it. Actually several dogs. But they'd all look pretty much the same. Something harmless looking like a giant poodle. I'd call them all Jim Bowen. After that chap from that thing. Spray the drugs with Cologne to throw the sniffer dogs off the scent.

Or I'd just drive through the border with me drugs in the inner tube of my tyres. Specially made, obviously. They wouldn't have to last long. Swop 'em over a mile each side. Pretend I had a puncture if anyone passed by.

Or just use an unknowing mule. Say a hitchhiker. Chat to them, find out what hostel they were staying in. Get em out of the car to take a photo of me at a Service Station. Meanwhile my mate slips my drug consignment in their suitcase. Then if they get caught at the border, plead ignorance. Then quietly retrieve the drugs by sending them into say a shop to buy me something, while I either get the drugs out, or just drive off and leave them there. Go through their luggage, nick their passport, and set myself up with a nice little false identity. Then anonymously call the Mexican police, and say I'd seen them looking all shifty and they'd tried to sell me drugs in the toilet of the service station. Put on a posh accent. The police pick them up and what do they find? The drugs I've planted in their back pocket, that's what! Plus an obviously fake passport and some obviously fake currency in a wallet!

Or just drop 'em off before the border. Let some other bugger take em through. Tail them, then intercept them as they get out. Take 'em down an alley and tell them to open their blinking suitcase. Give 'em a little cut on the cheek with me blade, and say, keep it to yourself, mate. And by the way, I took some photos of my drugs in your suitcase with your nametag on. Plus there's traces on your clothes from when I was being all friendly and gave you that hug. So I'd keep quiet if I were you. Unless you want me to slice off your Jacobs.

Now, here's 50 quid. Go forth and prosper!

Last edited:
Back