• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kids Today

A pair of Florida children escaped from a group home, broke into a house, and used weapons found therein to engage in a gun fight with law enforcement officers.
A 12-year-old boy and 14-year-old girl broke into a home, found weapons and opened fire on deputies, sheriff says

Deputies in Volusia County, Florida, shot a 14-year-old girl on Tuesday night after she and a 12-year-old boy fled a group home, broke into a house, found multiple guns inside and then opened fire on deputies, according to Sheriff Mike Chitwood.

The girl was shot in the abdomen and the arm and is in stable condition, while the boy surrendered and was not injured ...

"I don't know what to say. Where have we gone wrong that a 12-year-old and 14-year-old think it's OK to take on law enforcement?" Chitwood said.

The sheriff's office on Wednesday released over nine minutes of edited video showing footage from body cameras and a helicopter looking down at the scene. ...

Charging affidavits for the juveniles indicate they are charged with attempted murder of a law enforcement officer and armed burglary. ...

The affidavits include details from an interview with the boy in which he admits to shooting repeatedly at officers using a handgun, a shotgun and an AK-47 that they had taken from the home. He told investigators that they saw deputies outside the home, at which point the girl said, "I'm gonna roll this down like GTA," referring to the video game "Grand Theft Auto," according to the affidavits.

The boy "told detectives he knew they were cops when he shot them because he wanted to harm them. There are the words of a 12-year-old," Chitwood said at a news briefing. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/02/us/florida-deputies-shooting-teen/index.html

A 9-year-old Utah girl and her little sister decided to go to California to swim in the sea. They stole the family car in the pre-dawn hours and made it about a dozen miles before crashing head-on into a tractor trailer rig. Amazingly, they survived the crash unscathed. Whether they survive their parents' reactions has yet to be determined ...
9-year-old driver and younger sister, who told police they were driving to California for a swim, unharmed after crashing into semi in Utah

Police officers were in for a shock when they responded to an early Wednesday morning traffic accident in Utah between a four-door sedan and a semi-truck.

The driver and passenger in the car were both children.

Officers arrived at around 5 a.m. on Wednesday "and discovered the person behind the wheel was a 9-year-old girl," the West Valley City Police Department said ...

"The young girl and her 4-year-old sister apparently snagged the keys to the family car while their parents were sleeping," police said.

"The girls drove about 10 miles from their home in West Jordan" and managed to get on a highway and a freeway approaching West Valley City ...

Before exiting the freeway, the car hopped a median and slammed "head-on into a semi truck," said police. ...

A video clip of the crash scene taken from an officer's body-worn camera was released by West Valley City police. It shows the front end of the red sedan crushed, wedged against a semi-truck, which appeared to have been pulling two trailers. ...

The department said there were no injuries, adding "We suspect in large part because those little girls at least remembered to wear their seatbelts."

The girls told the officers that "they were headed to California because they wanted to 'swim in the ocean'" ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/03/us/children-drive-crash-into-semi-utah-trnd/index.html

A 9-year-old Utah girl and her little sister decided to go to California to swim in the sea. They stole the family car in the pre-dawn hours and made it about a dozen miles before crashing head-on into a tractor trailer rig. Amazingly, they survived the crash unscathed. Whether they survive their parents' reactions has yet to be determined ...

FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/03/us/children-drive-crash-into-semi-utah-trnd/index.html

There was something on the news, possibly as far back as the 90s, where a tiny kid (aged 4-6) took his parent's car to the video store in the small hours. I think he managed to get it there without crashing. How the hell could he reach the pedals and see over the wheel or even dashboard.

There was something on the news, possibly as far back as the 90s, where a tiny kid (aged 4-6) took his parent's car to the video store in the small hours. I think he managed to get it there without crashing. How the hell could he reach the pedals and see over the wheel or even dashboard.
Probably inspired by 'short stack' from 'Indiana Jones' with boxes on the pedals :)

I wonder how many times a clutch pedal has foiled a child's plans.

I suspect most of the cars stolen by children and 'driven', are automatics. They will have watched what their parents do long enough to know how to turn on an engine and put the car into 'drive'.

"We have children who have gained twenty, thirty and forty kilograms in one year," says Jan Boženský, head of the children's department of the Vítkovice Hospital in Ostrava.

The situation was not good even before the pandemic, he said, but it made the obesity problem in children even worse. "The change in lifestyle will not only be reflected in this year, but I am afraid that the younger children in particular will suffer for years to come," says the doctor.

He now sees such cases more often in the office here. One of the new patients is Tereza. She was 12 when the pandemic started. She gained 10 kilograms during the year.

"Just during the year she was home and all the sports clubs were cancelled and she didn't even go to school, so she didn't even have this movement, so she gained a lot of weight. That's why we started to deal with it professionally," says Mrs. Kateřina, mother of Theresa.

https://www.irozhlas.cz/zivotni-styl/zdravi/obezita-deti-koronavirus-pribrat_2106031634_pj

Nine-year-old Flora Rider scoops world marmalade title

Flora Rider became the youngest ever winner of Best in Show at the Homemade Marmalade Awards when she came top of more than 3,000 other entries.

She said she made the preserve with her family on the Isle of Wight as a "fun activity" during lockdown in January.

The Seville orange and orange blossom marmalade has now been reproduced for sale in Fortnum & Mason's stores.

The awards attract entries from countries around the world including Canada, Australia, Japan, Kuwait and Brazil as well as the UK.

Organisers said the judges were "bowled over" by Flora's entry and unanimously declared it the overall winner.

Flora, who described her marmalade as a "little pot of sunshine", said: "I enjoyed shredding the peel and filling the jars but best of all I enjoyed eating the finished marmalade.

"I liked the thought of adding flowers to my marmalade and so using orange blossom seemed like a good idea. The taste of the marmalade was very nice with a lovely floral and honey flavour."
View attachment 41233

Attachments

• 1624638442486.png
    1624638442486.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 1624638530304.png
    1624638530304.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 10
Four year old grandson loves being at home and the other morning asked where they were going as they prepared to go out.
" Nanna's? Shopping? No, we have to go to work and you are going to Childcare. No Mummy, Think up something different".

Teen angst can be lethal. This Houston (Texas) area girl was arguing with her mother while they were driving somewhere. The teen flounced out of the argument and the car (while it was still moving). It's unclear whether she had time to savor self-ascribed triumph regarding whatever point she thought she'd made before another car ran her down and killed her. The driver who hit her has not yet been identified or found.
Teen killed after jumping out of moving car during argument with mom on I-45, HCSO says

A teenager is dead after deputies said she jumped out of a moving car while arguing with her mother Monday night.

Harris County Sheriff deputies responded to reports of a crash on I-45 at FM 1960 around 8 p.m.
Deputies said the teen, who is possibly 15-years-old, was arguing with her mom when she jumped out of the moving vehicle. The teen was then struck by an unknown car that fled the scene, deputies said.

The teen was pronounced dead on the scene, according to deputies.

Investigators at the scene said they haven’t come across a witness that says the girl was hit by a car. The incident is still under investigation. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.click2houston.com/news/...r-during-argument-with-mom-on-i-45-hcso-says/

Teen angst can be lethal. This Houston (Texas) area girl was arguing with her mother while they were driving somewhere. The teen flounced out of the argument and the car (while it was still moving). It's unclear whether she had time to savor self-ascribed triumph regarding whatever point she thought she'd made before another car ran her down and killed her. The driver who hit her has not yet been identified or found.

FULL STORY: https://www.click2houston.com/news/...r-during-argument-with-mom-on-i-45-hcso-says/

That is so tragic. o_O My heart aches for that family.

“…an unknown car that fled the scene...

Investigators at the scene said they haven’t come across a witness that says the girl was hit by a car. The incident is still under investigation…”

Hmmm

giphy.gif

maximus otter

This is really quite bizarre. I'm surprised that the police will even attend incidents such as these, let alone drag the kid off to jail.
If the police were called to arrest them every time someone in my class at school broke wind, there would have very quickly been more coppers than pupils in the room.

Youngest has been having trouble toilet training her boy.
When he found out she was talking to me today he asked to have facetime then went to use the toilet much to her delight.
I used to leave the potty training with my kids until they were ready. Comes a time when they notice the Big Boys and Big Girls nipping to the loo and they want some too. They might have been a couple of weeks behind their cousins but there was no drama. Thank you, Dr Spock.

Well he's 4 now and she hoped he'd be trained by now. She's tried charts for rewards, rewards for actions, praise, using cheap pullups that are not so comfy but has had no luck.
My friends with grandsons have found the same thing.

Well he's 4 now and she hoped he'd be trained by now. She's tried charts for rewards, rewards for actions, praise, using cheap pullups that are not so comfy but has had no luck.
My friends with grandsons have found the same thing.
Shaming? Tell him that the big boys do the poop properly, and if he wants to be a big boy, he's got to do it himself.

Back