• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kids Today

Well he's 4 now and she hoped he'd be trained by now. She's tried charts for rewards, rewards for actions, praise, using cheap pullups that are not so comfy but has had no luck.
My friends with grandsons have found the same thing.
He's not ready. You can't make them do it if their bodies aren't mature enough. Pushing the issue makes it worse.

At least one of mine was four when the penny dropped.
Used to frustrate me a bit but then I'd think It's not a competition. Their body knows what's best for them.

Shaming? Tell him that the big boys do the poop properly, and if he wants to be a big boy, he's got to do it himself.

I think modern kids are beyond shame

How do you know it's not an interoception issue? Not sure if the "let's shame a human being" idea is a joke or not, sorry.

Toilet training is something that everyone (excluding the severely disabled) gets in the end. I did the same as Scargy, and my three all got the hang of it within a week or so, once they were ready. I don't believe any charts, rewards or, god forbid, shaming will work, it's literally just time.

How do you know it's not an interoception issue?
Don't hate me for saying it... everything's about autism for you, isn't it?
We should first assume the kid is the usual type of child.

Well, I picked that word so it wouldn't be as provocative as the word 'normal'.
But there you go, I can't please anybody.

I have no idea on links between interception and autism (truly), but perhaps you might consider the comment that suggests Frideswide is obsessive warrants an apology--on or off thread.

Entirely up to you, of course.

I have no idea on links between interception and autism (truly), but perhaps you might consider the comment that suggests Frideswide is obsessive warrants an apology--on or off thread.

Entirely up to you, of course.
Already did, thank you.

I'm not sure this sort of thing fills me with glee.

E_l05pmXsAQBgOR.jpeg

My grandkids text each other in the same room rather than talk to each other.

I tell them they are lazy.

Tennessee teen allegedly shot mother in head at close range for confiscating his cell phone
Jessica Schladebeck 44 mins ago

A Tennessee teen accused of shooting his sleeping mother in the head allegedly fired off the fatal shot because she confiscated his cell phone.
Shawn Willis has been charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of his mother, Sandy Willis. According to authorities, he was only 17 years old when he crept into his mother’s bedroom inside their Rocky Top home and then used a handgun she kept in her nightstand to kill her.
By the time police arrived on the scene the night of April 20, 2020, Sandy was already dead.
With is father’s permission, Shawn Willis voluntarily agreed to be interviewed by investigators in wake of the shooting. He reportedly confessed to snatching the gun and then going into another room to load it so now to wake his sleeping mother. When he returned, he said he shot her at close range in the head.
Details surrounding the case were mostly unknown, but newly released juvenile court documents obtained by WATE provide some insight into the slaying.
Shawn allegedly told investigators he was annoyed with his mother for taking away his cell phone earlier in the night.
Prosecutors are charging Willis, who has since turned 18, as an adult. He is being held in the Anderson County Jail with a bond set at $1 million.

My 8 year old had ink marks all over his lower right arm earlier this week. My wife asked him “George, what’s that on your arm”?. “Oh, I drew a penis” was his reply. And yes when she looked up close it was in fact a ‘cock and balls’ the length of his lower arm. Thankfully it wasn’t spurting. Apparently he had drawn it in school and had been walking around with his ‘tattoo’ all day!

My youngest has to work from home some days. On Friday when the phone rang her 4 year old asked if it was Nanna. When she said "No" he asked who it was then?
She replied "Mario" and he became very excited because he's a fan of the Mario party games.

sticking nicotine pouches up their arses.

If it does to their arses and foreskins what Skoal Bandits did to the cheeks and jaws of users, some young Swedes are in for a rude awakening!

I had not previously connected the name Skoal with Skol, the Scandinavian toast - and Godawful lager - but the popularity of this habit there seems to have been responsible for the branding.

Browsing for more on the subject of Skoal Bandits suggests that the Web may be burying the traces. You have to dig with +Cancer to find some of the more alarming images. More than gum disease! :(

I'd never heard of this modern Swedish tradition, but, as the article explains, it's one with beneficial effects for children in terms of health, forward planning and financial independence.

Lördagsgodis: Sweden’s Saturday-only candy tradition
By Maddy Savage
https://twitter.com/@maddysavage
8th October 2021

Swedish children look forward to the weekend for their once-weekly candy fix. But beyond being a treat, these Saturday sweets teach a bigger lesson.

[...]

Swedes are so into the norm of buying and eating candy on Saturdays they’ve even got a special word for it: lördagsgodis, which literally translates to ‘Saturday sweets’.

“Lördagsgodis has always been ‘a thing’,” says Robert Lundin, who grew up in the 80s and has just bought marshmallows with his five-year-old daughter. “You wait for Saturday to get your candy. And it's like a small, big event with your parents. And now I do it with my daughter as well.”

The lördagsgodis concept dates to the 1950s. Swedish medical authorities began recommending sweets as a once-a-week treat, to try and limit rising cases of tooth decay as the country became richer, says Sofi Tegsveden Deveaux, an author and lecturer on Swedish culture and values. Swedes’ propensity to “trust the state a lot” encouraged them to follow and stick to the advice to restrict eating sweets to Saturdays, she argues, with the trend evolving into the beloved family-oriented activity that exists today.

Details follow:
https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20211004-lrdagsgodis-swedens-saturday-only-candy-tradition

If it does to their arses and foreskins what Skoal Bandits did to the cheeks and jaws of users, some young Swedes are in for a rude awakening!

I had not previously connected the name Skoal with Skol, the Scandinavian toast - and Godawful lager - but the popularity of this habit there seems to have been responsible for the branding.

Browsing for more on the subject of Skoal Bandits suggests that the Web may be burying the traces. You have to dig with +Cancer to find some of the more alarming images. More than gum disease! :(
As you'll know, Skoal Bandits and the like are banned in the UK on the grounds of their ferocious danger to health.

The company fought hard against the ban especially after securing government funding to build a European distribution centre at East Kilbride. For a while it looked as if we'd be flooded with the stuff.

Do you remember Esther Rantzen campaigning against it? She's someone people looked up to and they listened.

No one batted an eyelid at this sort of thing when I was going to school.

A student bought an old hand grenade into a history lesson, causing part of the school to be evacuated, police have said.

Officers were called to Parkside Community School in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, at 11:00 BST on Wednesday.

Students and staff were ordered to clear the area while a military bomb disposal team was contacted.

The grenade was examined and the team confirmed the weapon had been decommissioned.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-58909456

Indian teen inventor's solar-powered ironing cart

Ironing vendors are common across India. The irons are heated using charcoal, a fuel that contributes to air pollution. But Vinisha Umashankar, a 14-year-old girl from Tamil Nadu, has found a clean solution.

Vinisha's invention has been nominated for this year's Earthshot Prize.
video at link.

Some good 'uns out there.

A group of trick-or-treaters who bought gifts for a great-grandmother are being sought by the woman's family to say thank you.

Brenda Burdon, 86, was visited at home in Denton, Newcastle, by three children called Jessie, Olivia and Walter. She apologised for having no treats to give them when they visited on Thursday but the next day they returned with a card, chocolates and a £10 note.

Ms Burdon's family said they had been amazed by the children's actions. Her grandson Danny Parker said she had bought them some presents as a reward for their generosity, and she was keen to give them the £10 back.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-59116997

Back