CyberPunk
Reaction score
What? No white pudding?

Kidz Breakfast: Giant breakfast boosts cafe's business
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-21287000
By David Keller
BBC News Online, Norfolk

The Kidz Breakfast is free if you eat it in an hour, or £15 if you fail

It prompted calls for it to be banned and had one expert warning that someone could die after eating it.

But the "Kidz Breakfast", described as weighing the same as a small child, has remained the talk of a Norfolk seaside town.

Consisting of a dozen sausages, 12 bacon rashers and enough eggs to be produced from a coop of chickens in a week, Jesters Diner's fry-up in Great Yarmouth contains more than 6,000 calories and weighs in at 9lb (4.08kg).

But despite hundreds being sold after it was first put on the menu 18 months ago, only one man has managed to eat "the baby".

"Only one man has finished it - Robert Pinto," said 43-year-old cafe owner Martin Smith, who said he had seen his business boom since his mammoth breakfast hit the headlines a year ago.

"We knew he was coming because he called up and we booked him in. We just thought he was another have-a-go hero. No-one else had even got halfway through."

Robert Pinto finishes his Kidz Breakfast in just 26 minutes
After consuming it in just in 26 minutes, competitive eater Mr Pinto, of Stamford, Lincolnshire, who weighs just 11st (70kg), said: "I don't even like breakfast, I just do it for a laugh."

Kidz Breakfast

12 rashers of bacon
12 sausages
Six eggs
Four black pudding slices
Four slices of bread and butter
Four slices of toast
Four slices of fried bread
Two hash browns
Eight-egg cheese and potato omelette
Saute potatoes
Mushrooms
Beans
Tomatoes

Mr Smith has built up a community on Facebook, with people regularly posting pictures of them gorging on his menu.

He defended the huge meal, saying: "It is what it is. It was done as a laugh and 99% of the population understands that.

"I've not had a single health official phone me up to complain. I'm just one guy with a few staff trying to get people to have a good time. It's a once-in-a-lifetime challenge."

However, Prof David Haslam, from the National Obesity Forum, said: "It is totally irresponsible and sending out the wrong message.

"It should be banned. You can't eat a meal the size of a baby if you want to stay healthy, but if restaurants won't stop providing it, we need to educate the customer not to eat it."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-21287000

Last edited by a moderator:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Who wants to spend an hour eating breakfast?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Cherrybomb

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Looks nice :D

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
ramonmercado said:
theyithian said:

I enjoy a leisurely breakfast/brunch.

I invariably wake up late and eat a banana while putting on my shoes.

I notice one of the quotes that accompanies that article is from some medical bod or other saying 'it should be banned'. Do these people never learn? A great many things are less that healthy/wise, but to ban them is to elevate good sense over free will. People should be quite entitled to drink, smoke, inject or slob themselves into an early grave - that is the consequence of freedom: the right to be wrong - and/or dead.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
theyithian said:

You'd probably spend an hour with the consequences a few hours later as well.

dreeness

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
:(

There's a digusting tv show called "Man vs Food" about some guy who goes to various restaurants that have "challenge" items on the menu, things like giant three foot long bratwurst sausages, or ice cream measured in gallons, etc. It's really cretinous, cheering onlookers shouting "Don't chew, just swallow!" as he snakes a giant sausage down his throat. (Sometimes he vomits, which they don't show but they describe.)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Pietro_Mercurios said:
It's the future of television.

I find myself watching much less 'television' and more films these days, because it's already crap right now.

Heckler

The unspeakable mass
Reaction score
dreeness said:
:(

There's a digusting tv show called "Man vs Food" about some guy who goes to various restaurants that have "challenge" items on the menu, things like giant three foot long bratwurst sausages, or ice cream measured in gallons, etc. It's really cretinous, cheering onlookers shouting "Don't chew, just swallow!" as he snakes a giant sausage down his throat. (Sometimes he vomits, which they don't show but they describe.)

Truely bizarre television, the sort of thing a twelve year old would come up with after too many e-numbers and fizzy pop, a machismo fuelled celebration of gluttony that is like a series of remakes of the Mr Cresote sketch from Meaning of Life. See also Ghost Adventures that seems to be in the similar talk tough, high five everyone, act like a child genre.

Now whilst I'm not suggesting that every show should be presented by a David Attenborough type in hushed tones, I do think that a great many shows aim straight for the lowest common denominator.

ChrisBoardman

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Man vs Food is quite an entertaining program. Adam himself says he "hits thte wall" when he can't eat another mouthfull, that's natuers way of telling you that you are full. It's not dangerous.

Heckler

The unspeakable mass
Reaction score
ChrisBoardman said:
Man vs Food is quite an entertaining program. Adam himself says he "hits thte wall" when he can't eat another mouthfull, that's natuers way of telling you that you are full. It's not dangerous.

One more waaaafer thin mint?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
This seems apt.

English breakfast experiences:

FBqU70NX0AkGVTY.jpeg.jpg

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Who wants to spend an hour eating breakfast?
Someone with nothing better to do. Someone with more teeth than braincells (although the meal described in th OP suggests you won't have many teeth if you eat that sort/amount of food on a regular basis), someone who wants to Instagram there way to fame - and the morgue....

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
There used to be a great pub in Reading called 'Pavlov's Dog', now, sadly, a craft beer pub called 'the boundary', which used to do a variety of breakfasts, the biggest being called 'fat bastards breakfast'.

6d25b300ef5b3605b51262b8bdeb9784.jpg

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
There used to be a great pub in Reading called 'Pavlov's Dog', now, sadly, a craft beer pub called 'the boundary', which used to do a variety of breakfasts, the biggest being called 'fat bastards breakfast'.

View attachment 46616

One of the last team lunches we had before lockdown was in The Pavlov's Dog.
It was cheap and cheerful - not dissimilar to a Wetherspoons.
I see now that reviews of The Boundary are commenting on the price hike - £5-60 a pint!
With the exception of the two 'Spoons and The Monk's Retreat, Reading does seem to suffer from inflated London prices.
We had a team do only last week in the nearby Spinners and a pint of IPA was £5-20.
In the Hope Tap Wetherspoons, where I had a swift pint yesterday, with my 50p off CAMRA voucher, an excellent pint of Twickenham Naked Ladies cost me £1-49p.

Last edited:

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
One of the last team lunches we had before lockdown was in The Pavlov's Dog.
It was cheep and cheerful - not dissimilar to a Wetherspoons.
I see now that reviews of The Boundary are commenting on the price hike - £5-60 a pint!
With the exception of the two 'Spoons and The Monk's Retreat, Reading does seem to suffer from inflated London prices.
We had a team do only last week in the nearby Spinners and a pint of IPA was £5-20.
In the Hope Tap Wetherspoons, where I had a swift pint yesterday, with my 50p off CAMRA voucher, an excellent pint of Twickenham Naked Ladies cost me £1-49p.
The Monks Retreat is a great pub, it was recently taken over (a year or so ago) by a couple of young guys, I had a chat with them and they seem nice. All the bars on the Oracle's canal front are terrible and over priced.