• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Killer Ghosts

I wonder if a 9search could be made in recent local papers and so on?

Isn't the ghost of Lady Margaret, or Lady Eleanor, at Berry Pomeroy in Devon supposed to push people down the dungeon stairs?

There is supposed to be the ghost of a lady in white that can be seen in the windows or walking
across the road at Samlesbury Hall nr Preston she as been blamed for accidents were the driver
as swerved to avoid her, don't know if any have been fatal.

Many years ago we used to visit The Ring O Bells in Middleton nr Manchester, one room was always
locked, the story being that it was very haunted and that a joiner working in there was found dead
in the cellar immediately below a hole in the room floor, the ghost had a reputation for pushing
people often in the mens bogs were fights were started. the thinking being the ghost had pushed
the joiner, I was allowed to sit in the room on one or two occasions but never noticed anything.
The pub is now much modified I believe.

Last edited:
I did a search for "swerve" and got these:

51.488642,-3.567993_
Ewenny Priory
A white lady has been seen here, and almost caused a car to crash as the driver swerved to avoid her on a nearby road. She may be connected to the female spectra at Ogmore Castle.

53.037467,-1.088804
Old Hall Close
This road is built on the site of Calverton Hall, which was the haunt of a white lady. Since the hall was demolished, the figure of a woman has been seen in the area. Drivers have been forced to swerve, only to find out that she is no longer there.

51.518220,-0.210861
Cambridge Garden
A phantom double-decker bus has been seen here at the junction of Cambridge Gardens and St Mark's Road, at 1.15am during May. There is no driver at the wheel, and the lights are turned off and its behaviour forces other drivers to swerve. However, some reports say that after the route of the road was altered to remove a dangerous blind spot, the phantom bus was seen no more.

53.129708,-3.067167
Plas Teg
The mansion is said to be haunted by a girl who drowned in a well while in the process of concealing jewelery within, which were to be used to fund an elopment. One particular room is said to exhibit spectral behaviour, such as the feeling of someone invisible sat on the edge of a guest's bed. The dual carriageway outside is also said to be haunted - one is a knight in armour in the central reservation, and the other is a woman who rushes out in front of traffic forcing drivers to swerve.

51.569892,-0.174000
The Spaniards
Dick Turpin's father is said to have once been the landlord here - and his famous son has been said to gallop at people and swerve away at the last second.

54.258850,-2.776959
Levens Hall
A "Grey Lady" is said to haunt the driveway and has been known to step out in front of vehicles causing them to swerve, although one cyclist went right through her! According to legend, she is a pregnant gypsy woman who put a curse on the hall in the 18th century when she was turned away from the hall when she was starving. It seems that after 200 years her "curse" was broken. She is sometimes seen with a small black dog (although it is also reported playing on its own), and has also been reported on the nearby A6. A small dog has also been seen, especially on the staircase, described as woolly, like an unclipped poodle with bright eyes. It followed a former owner around and even played with her living hounds. A "pink lady" has also been seen, dressed like a 18th century maid but vanishes abruptly, and a black shape seen in a corridor. Three apparitions (a man with a stick and a woman with a child) were seen at the bottom of a bed during the night, and a young girl and flashing lights seen in the gardens.

53.247774,-1.664663
The Old Eyre Arms
A phantom cavalier haunts this pub; he also been seen outside where he steps in front of vehicles. Outside the pub, a spectral horse and coach has also been observed, causing some drivers to swerve.

51.480658,-3.611519
Ogmore Castle
A "White Lady" haunts this castle and is supposed in legend to guard a hoard of gold coins under one of the towers. Another story is that a treasure hunter convinced the ghost to show him where the stash was concealed, and the ghost said that he could take only half of it. Although he agreed, he returned later intent on taking the remaining treasure. The ghost was furious and ripped into him with her talon like fingernails. She took the gold back, and the thief, having been left in a severely wounded condition, died soon afterwards. The spectral lady almost caused a car to crash as the driver swerved to avoid her on a nearby road. Another ghost is that of a coach driven by four horses, seen in the ford by the castle; it is said that during a heavy rainstorm, the coach was washed into the sea and never seen again.

Niiiiice! Shows the value of your work as well :twothumbs:

The Cambridge Garden Bus is the one I've been trying to think of. Somehow the modern bus gives me more shudders than the traditional coach and horses.

Many years ago we used to visit The Ring O Bells in Middleton nr Manchester, one room was always locked, the story being that it was very haunted and that a joiner working in there was found dead in the cellar immediately below a hole in the room floor,
Is he the ghost or is the ghost supposed to have pushed him into the hole? Why was he in there? Was he mending the floor? Or did he step back to eyeball the progress of another job he was doing, and accidently fall into the hole, which stupidly hadn't been covered to prevent such accidents before he went in there?
I know you can't answer these questions, and that you are not the source of the legend, I'm just frustrated when a potentially juicy ghost story is ruined by people overlooking the rational explanation which would occur to them if they had more practical experience with the physical world . . . :comphit:

Assuming my meaning of "ghost" to be the spirit of a former human who died, has there ever been a ghost who actually killed someone? It's such a classic idea used in stories, but I was surprised to see that I couldn't think of a single killer ghost story purported to be true...
While folklore is littered with tales of vengeful ghosts, there aren't that many IRL cases we can point to. There are occasionally purported ghost sightings linked to car accidents. The other thing is, you aren't going to find "death by ghost" listed on many coroner's reports, as we don't know how to correctly diagnose such things scientifically, even if it were true. I suspect that most ghosts are annoying but mainly harmless, but because they are uncanny and cause fear, they get a bad rap. I know there was a ghost that was supposed to kill anyone who damaged his tombstone, but I don't think that stood up to much scrutiny, and was mainly a FOAF story when someone had a coronary after defacing the headstone of the strangler guy. Anyone who remembers this and can put a name to the info, I would be mighty grateful for the assist, as I am unable to remember the details atm.

@IbisNibs, what is a tombstone heart attack?

It may refer to a particular elevated ECG profile that's considered one of the worse things to see on an ECG trace. The line elevates abnormally high and stays there for longer than just a "blip" - leaving an elevated broad silhouette reminiscent of an old tombstone. The occurrence of such profiles in an ECG readout is called "tombstoning."

https://www.healio.com/cardiology/learn-the-heart/blogs/stemi-mi-ecg-pattern

That makes sense, and sounds like a painful way to go.
I just thought that if you had one you were more likely to need your own tombstone. At the time, I wasn't focused on digging up information on the origins of the term.

Bedtime stories is one of my YouTube subs. I always look forwards to their contributions. I suspect I am not alone.

Don't be disappointed Calgacus03. The legend's not ruined, it's just revealed to be another mystery!
Who made the current Busby's stoop chair, and why? Who first owned it? Why did it replace the original Busby's stoop chair?Whatever happened to the original Busby's stoop chair? is it still at large? :hide:

Back