• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kissing

carole

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
. . . how did it originate?

Did it develop from the mother feeding her child by mouth?

Why does it have sexual, social and non-sexual affection significance?

Does kissing exist in all cultures - eg, do eskimos really rub noses?

How long have people been kissing for? Did neanderthals do it, did the ancient Egyptians do it?

Carole

Thanks for that Angel, as you suggest I'll pass on the tobacco but a little passion fruit would be acceptable.:kissers:

Oh Pete, you are very welcome. But you know, with regard to the passionfruit, I don't think the Polynesians kissed until the missionaries came. I'll look into it.

I'll be back with a passionfruit and an answer in no time.

I don't think the Polynesians kissed until the missionaries came.

Maybe I shouldn't read to much into that statement.

Uh-oh, Pete, bad news:
"The Inuit, and other peoples in Polynesia, Tonga, Malaysia, Borneo and New Zealand kiss by rubbing noses, as their mouths are used for more industrious tasks."

So you can eat this passionfruit and rub my nose....not an erogenous zone in my opinion.

p.younger said:
I don't think the Polynesians kissed until the missionaries came.

Maybe I shouldn't read to much into that statement.

Oh I'm sorry Pete, I just read that out loud and cracked up. Oops.

Fallen Angel said:
Uh-oh, Pete, bad news:
"The Inuit, and other peoples in Polynesia, Tonga, Malaysia, Borneo and New Zealand kiss by rubbing noses, as their mouths are used for more industrious tasks."

Oops again. Honestly that was accidental. Both times.

'Industrious tasks????' :confused: :eek!!!!:

Barbara Merz, an American Egyptologist, speculated that the ancient Egyptians might have rubbed noses because the hieroglyphic sign for kissing was a pictogram of the upper half of the face.

Carole

A former GF didn't like beards. (I told her to shave, but......)

So 'passionate' sessions started with a sort of sideways/upside down nose rubbing, leading to mutual nose-kissing, leading to more serious snogging, leading to ... mind yer own business, yer mucky sods...!

The (occasional?) female aversion to beards may explain why some societies rub noses rather than conjoin gobs, but doesn't explain the Inuit, since they have very little facial hair due to the centuries-old practice of plucking facial hair (which has led, IIRC, to the current Inuit male having little or no beard growth - same as the American Indian, who passed that way in times gone by). Facial hair plucking was a response to freezing temperatures - facial hair keeps you warmer when it's cold, but is NBG when it's that cold that your breath freezes on it as you exhale, effectively throttling you!)

BTW, Victorian saying - a kiss without whiskers is like beef without mustard.

Fallen Angel said:
So you can eat this passionfruit and rub my nose....not an erogenous zone in my opinion.
That just means you're not doing it right. I've found it to be a great way to build up to actual kissing, and can be used as a form of tease. Of course, it's also a good substitute for situations where kissing is either impractical or unsuitable, or if, like me, you're just a rotten kisser.

As for the beard question, I understand it can be uncomfortable for women if the beard, and particularly the moustache, get in the way while kissing. This is why I have tried to keep it neat and trim when the possibility of a good snog is on the cards. However, the beard can have other advantages later in the proceedings if you know what to do with it.

(For the record, it's been a long time since a good snog was on the cards, and as a result I am currently getting a mouthful of my own whiskers everytime I try to eat. Time to get the clippers out again.)

EDIT:
Forgot to mention something relevant to the original topic. I've seen footage of apes (chimps and gorillas) kissing. Usually just a peck, but it does suggest that touching lips goes back a fair way. Or it could be that all the footage I've seen is of apes that have been influenced by contact with humans (which is possible). If the former, that would suggest that the absence of kissing in Inuit and Polynesian cultures would be a later adaption to the fact that they use the mouth for other things.

Well in these here parts, they use the mouth for prawn vindaloo
and still think they are going to get a snog. :cross eye

They're the last football team I'm going out with. And this time I
mean it! Maybe. :p

AGoogle on history, kissing turned up about 200,000 sites!

But it's quite interesting just reading the little extracts Google provides with each link - some are rather gruesome! Ew!

As for for trimming facial hair, this can make the whiskers bristly rather than furry!

I think the nose makes a very good guide for kissing.

When breaking away from a passionate kiss, eyes still closed, I follow her nose with my nose until noses are tip to tip (maintaining contact at all times). There is a moment of close range eye to eye (and nose to nose) contact then a brief but naughty smile from both parties then eyes closed again use the nose to guide me back for a stronger kiss then moving down to her neck and .......... :likee: :kissers: :wow:

Ahem! Nuff Said .. .. . ..

I always presumed the Inuit and their kin rubbed noses rather than kissed because it was too bloody cold for a snog. Imagine going for a particularly passionate kiss, only to find your saliva had frozen together. Likewise, a noserub is a great way to warm up a frostbitten conk. (I said conk).

homing device ...

Chriswsm said:

When breaking away from a passionate kiss, eyes still closed, I follow her nose with my nose until noses are tip to tip (maintaining contact at all times). There is a moment of close range eye to eye (and nose to nose) contact then a brief but naughty smile from both parties then eyes closed again use the nose to guide me back for a stronger kiss then moving down to her neck and .......... :likee: :kissers: :wow:

Ahem! Nuff Said .. .. . ..

I always thought the nose was a pretty good homing device in the dark to make sure you plonk your chops in the right general area .... better than giving an unsuspecting eyeball a good suck!

And the rest of it sounds wonderful! <sigh> what a lucky woman your girlfriend is!!

She is not really my GF (even tho I last saw her yesterday night). She is someone elses GF (she used to be my GF a long time ago)

If her current BF finds out I am in deep trouble (good job he works late hehe).

My Ex's never seem to leave me alone LOL

I always strive to be a Sexy, Romantic, Fit and Funny Chriswsm :blah:

Before I wore contact lenses full time, it used to be rather dicey having a snog with another spec-wearer. Sometimes you used to get tangled up like deer locking antlers . . .:kiss: :blush: :cool:

Carole

That is sound advice there Carol especially if there is long hair involved as well.

I always take mine off (and my specs) :laughing:

Surely the main reason people snog is because they can.

I've heard snogging wasn't even invented until a couple of hundred years ago. Apparently in the Middle Ages, knights used to kiss fair maidens on the back of the hand, and that was it. Surely this is bunk. I find it hard to believe that it doesn't go back thousands of years, if not hundreds of thousands. I just made up this little poem for you. It is called On the Antiquity of Snogging

Adam and Eve
I truly believe
Took a walk in the fog
And had a snog.

Another angle on this. You know these grey aliens people talk about. The classic description is big black almond-shaped eyes, two holes for a nose, and just a slit of a mouth. Note the slit of the mouth. No lips! So the reason they are so up-tight and malevolent, always abducting people and performing experiments on them is obvious - they've never done any snogging! You heard it here first, OK. Or is this theory perhaps a bit too outlandish even for the FT? We are possibly the only race for hundreds of light-years around that can snog each other. Isn't that fab? Praise the Lord for lips.

:kissers: :kissers: :kissers: :kissers: :kissers:

Big Bill Robinson

Big Bill Robins said:
So the reason they are so up-tight and malevolent, always abducting people and performing experiments on them is obvious - they've never done any snogging! You heard it here first, OK. Or is this theory perhaps a bit too outlandish even for the FT? We are possibly the only race for hundreds of light-years around that can snog each other. Isn't that fab? Praise the Lord for lips.
We like original thinkers here, Bill, right or wrong!

But what really frightens me is that you might be right - the aliens really are emotionally stunted...

rynner said:

But what really frightens me is that you might be right - the aliens really are emotionally stunted...
When you talk about a species whose idea of foreplay is an anal probe, occasionally followed up with nasal implants, emotionally stunted doesn't quite cover it.

Of course, Bill's theory does explain why the aliens are so interested in sex with human females. It's because their own females are ill-equipped for snogging. (Of course, human females are the most beautiful in the universe, mainly because they're not weird aliens from another planet.)

(Of course, human females are the most beautiful in the universe, mainly because they're not weird aliens from another planet.)

You sure ? I heard they came from Venus.

rynner said:

Maybe they've moved on to better things? Although what, I can't imagine . . .

Maybe they're frightened to french kiss in case they get a human pregnant . . . :p

Carole

When breaking away from a passionate kiss, eyes still closed, I follow her nose with my nose until noses are tip to tip (maintaining contact at all times). There is a moment of close range eye to eye (and nose to nose) contact then a brief but naughty smile from both parties then eyes closed again use the nose to guide me back for a stronger kiss then moving down to her neck and ...

I suppose this had to happen sooner or later ...

Someone's taken scientific interest in head-leaning behavior when moving in for a kiss ... :gent: :chimp::kiss:

Why Most of Us Lean to the Right When We Kiss
Your brain is an organ of two halves – the left side and the right side. And there are many brain functions, such as language skills or which hand you write with, which are organised mostly in one side of the brain or the other.

Simple behavioural tests have now allowed us to see how this organisation is revealed through biases in how we see and interact with the world – and each other – often without us being aware of it.

Examining how people perceive a diagram of variously orientated linesand angles provided clues that people typically have a subconscious bias for seeing things set out in clockwise orientations.

... After looking at recent research in visual psychophysics and visual neuroscience, we saw various perceptual and behavioral phenomena in which humans can have a directional bias.

Many of these turning behaviours are seen early in life. For example, infants have an initial bias for turning the head to the right (and consequently extending the left arm outward to compensate for that movement).

Some previous research found that such an instinctive turn to the right extends to adulthood – when an adult kisses another on the lips, their heads tend to automatically lean to the right. But is this an extension of the bias that humans are born with, or do people simply learn to kiss that way? ...

It started with a kiss ...

Scientists said they have found literary evidence that kissing was practised in the earliest Mesopotamian societies and may even have contributed to the spread of of cold sores

Research finds humans were kissing as early as 4,500 years ago

Babylonian clay model showing an erotic scene from 1800 BC (The Trustees of the British Museum/PA) THU, 18 MAY, 2023 - 22:10

Humanity’s earliest recorded kiss dates back to around 4,500 years ago in the ancient Middle East – 1,000 years earlier than previously thought, according to researchers. Scientists said they have found literary evidence that kissing was practised in the earliest Mesopotamian societies and may even have contributed to the spread of of cold sores.

In their article, published in the journal Science, the researchers said the findings suggest kissing was common across many cultures and did not originate in a specific region. They said this contradicts a previous hypothesis that the earliest evidence of human lip kissing came from a specific area in south Asia 3,500 years ago.

Dr Troels Pank Arboll, an expert on the history of medicine in Mesopotamia at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark, said: “In ancient Mesopotamia, which is the name for the early human cultures that existed between the Euphrates and Tigris rivers in present-day Iraq and Syria, people wrote in cuneiform script on clay tablets. Many thousands of these clay tablets have survived to this day, and they contain clear examples that kissing was considered a part of romantic intimacy in ancient times, just as kissing could be part of friendships and family members’ relations. Therefore, kissing should not be regarded as a custom that originated exclusively in any single region and spread from there but rather appears to have been practised in multiple ancient cultures over several millennia.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-41142610.html

Back