• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Komodo Dragons Eating People?

When I went to Komodo 30? years ago I was told the story of the Swiss naturalist who had gone missing on the island and only his camera found.I saw the lady on Flores with a scarred thigh where a dragon had tried to drag her off as she slept.

Komodo dragons are only found in the wild on a handful of Indonesian islands where they are estimated to have roamed for millions of years. They draw visitors from around the world and in recent years authorities have grappled with how to manage conservation and tourism in the national park.
Two of the dragon islands are now out of bounds to visitors,one of them is Flores where I saw the lady who had been attacked,$92 for a permit to visit the park (used to be free).

When you watch a tv programme about, say, sharks, they will always tell that great white sharks really don't eat that much people (which is true), that traffic accidents, bees and pet poodles kill more.
An important factor here being that most people are not in the sea, and all sharks are.

This said, I do have to wonder how someone can think sticking their hand to tiger cage is a good idea.
There was a notorious incident in Blackpool (a famous seaside place that's noted for fresh air and fun) where a young lad poked a stick with a horse's head handle through the bars of a lion's cage. He was lulled into complacency by the lion being in a somnolent posture, as I recall.

An important factor here being that most people are not in the sea, and all sharks are.

There was a notorious incident in Blackpool (a famous seaside place that's noted for fresh air and fun) where a young lad poked a stick with a horse's head handle through the bars of a lion's cage. He was lulled into complacency by the lion being in a somnolent posture, as I recall.

Back