• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kona Deep

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I may well be over-inflating a chat topic, but I recently got stuck beneath an absurdly hot sun and in need of water and was forced to buy the most expensive bottled water I've ever paid for outsider a bar: Kona Deep. As I drank the stuff, I read the virtual essay printed around the edge that sought to justify the price tag:

What is deep sea drinking water?

The term deep sea drinking water refers to water that is extracted from the ocean, usually at depths of 1000 feet or more and then processed to make it palatable and healthful.

Isn't sea water too salty to drink?

Kona Deep® 100% Hawaii deep sea drinking water has most of the salt removed through a process of reverse osmosis. Remaining salt (sodium) is just the right amount to keep the water tasty and healthy.

What makes Kona Deep® so special?

Kona Deep® is extracted from a depth of 3000' off the coast of Kona, Hawaii. The depth plus Kona's unique location at the end of the Global Conveyor Belt means the water for Kona Deep is naturally free of pathogens, chemicals and pollutants and rich in nutrients and minerals.

What is the Global Conveyor Belt?

The Global Conveyor Belt is a deep undersea current that travels continually around the globe. Moving very slowly (a complete circumvention can take thousands of years) water in it rarely nears the surface. On its journey the water comes in contact with many undersea conditions and volcanic events and as a result picks up significant levels of nutrients and minerals.

Why is Kona Deep® good for me?

We all need water (a couple of quarts or liters a day for most people) to survive and thrive, and bottled water is the best way to guarantee that the water we drink is clean and safe. Kona Deep® is premium bottled water. It is processed from water that is naturally free of pathogens and chemicals, and rich in nutrients and minerals that are readily absorbed by the body. While being both refreshing and delicious, the nutrient makeup of Kona Deep® makes it beneficial to the human body.

http://www.gotdeep.com/faqs.htm

And, like a shampoo advert:

Drinking Water Inverse Pyramid:

Deep Sea Drinking Water
is at the pinnacle of the
"Drinking Water Reverse Pyramid"
where deeper is most
definitely better.

http://www.gotdeep.com/pyramid.htm

pyramid_.gif

Is there any discernible reason why drinking water from the deep ocean is good for me? I like the idea, but it instinctively sounds like pseudo-scientific rot!

For the record, it tasted nice. That said, I would have settled for iced pond-water at that point... Mad dogs & Englishmen...

edit 'healthful'? Is that considerate literate in the US?

Last edited:
It's yer volcanos, innit!
Volvic is a brand of mineral water. Its source lies just to the north of the Puy de Dôme. The water's distinctive mineral content is due to the nearby volcano which last erupted in 5760 BC.

etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvic_(mineral_water)
As Wiki says, "This article does not cite any references or sources.
...This article is written like an advertisement. Please help rewrite this article from a neutral point of view." ;)

Some peole will always buy the most expensive example of any type of merchandise, on the grounds that it must be better. Good luck to anyone who can extract money from such knobheads, and if a bit of pseudo-scientific bullshit helps the transaction along, so be it. 8)

Bullshit of the highest order...

naturally free of pathogens, chemicals and pollutants and rich in nutrients and minerals.

What do they think nutrients and minerals are if they're not chemicals.

On its journey the water comes in contact with many undersea conditions and volcanic events and as a result picks up significant levels of nutrients and minerals.

Including heavy metals and all the stuff that sinks down from the surface....

Timble2 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't drink it. :cross eye

My wee contains a lot of nutrients and minerals. Perhaps I should spin a yarn about 'healthful yellow water' and sell it by the pint... I might get a few takers. :lol:

Timble2 said:
Those are the added nutrients! :D

Regarding the term "healthful", I recently had a stint editing copy for nutritional education material, and that word was considered correct as long as it is referring to an item/object that is healthy, and not a person, I believe. :oops:

Mythopoeika said:
My wee contains a lot of nutrients and minerals. Perhaps I should spin a yarn about 'healthful yellow water' and sell it by the pint... I might get a few takers. :lol:

If you run it through a reverse osmosis unit you probably could!

It all seems like b******s of the first order to me. For a start, reverse osmosis removes everything from water; I know some fishkeepers who use RO water and they have to remineralise it before they can put fish in it.

As they say 'most of the sodium', either it's not all being run through RO, so you get the problems that you've all mentioned of heavy metals, etc, etc or they're remineralising it with with something else...which is highly unlikely to be the same sodium as they took out. Unless they're purifying the waste from the RO process somehow.

Pseudo scientific mumbo-jumbo, I think (now there's a surprise for you all ;) )

In fact, my wee is probably safer to drink.
It's been filtered through my kidneys and contains none of that nasty bottom-of-the-ocean slime...

Mythopoeika said:

There are people who think that drinking your own urine is good for you.

(I'm not one of them)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urophagia

Is this where we mention Sarah Miles?

gncxx said:

I used to think she was a sex goddess, but having read about her unusual practices, she won't get near me, even if she asks nicely!

Ginando said:
gncxx said:

I used to think she was a sex goddess, but having read about her unusual practices, she won't get near me, even if she asks nicely!

Well, she's not so much the sex goddess now...

12 x 1 Litre bottles: $35 at last inspection!

"Pure Deep Ocean Electrolyte Mineral Water"

Back