• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kooky Kent

Yes, well done! (None of the keywords I tried found it!)
I used Google. "Fortean times forum, isle of grain" found it for me.

And I agree. It would make an excellent headquarters!

Are you meaning this post?

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/the-lone-coastguard.53104/page-112#post-1445059

From what I could work out from your post, it might be right?
Yes, it wasn't a thread as I thought, but a sub-set of posts in the Lone CG thread. (And older than I'd thought too.)

The posts involving Grain Tower are then 2226, 2232, 2233, 2235, 2240, 2241, and 2252. (These include media links, with videos, etc, and another mention of the wreck of the ammunition ship SS Richard Montgomery, which is pretty creepy in itself!)

Glad to have helped. :)

Edit: emoticon went horribly wrong...

This sounds fascinating, do you have anymore details?

Unfortunately, not. My grandad died just shy of his 100th birthday (lived on his own, without any outside help until just after his 99th. Tough as old boots.)

He was from a seafaring family from Chatham - male members of which had served in the Royal Navy since its inception. (Well, so they liked to claim - but very possibly true.) Those who weren't in the Senior Service joined the Merchant Navy. He was ostracised by his father and brothers for the singular crime of joining the Royal Engineers.

I've been looking online to see if any of the names jogged my memory, but I can only tell you that it was probably one of the smaller Medway forts and was by the time of this incident possibly only intermittently used, or had been de-mothballed. (Annoyingly, my grandad would have remembered, and probably told me; he had an amazing memory for detail - unfortunately my own isn't so good.)

If one ignores the sepia tones and the neo-Gothic merlons and crenels, one is left with a startling modern building for something designed in the 1880s.

I'm sure I've posted this elsewhere, but some timeslip cases here;

https://countrysidebooks.co.uk/blogs/news/the-terrifying-time-slips-of-kent

Good post, but I find this part—either the phrasing or the occurence—odd:

Mrs Warburton did not stay but she certainly did not recognise anything amiss either then or indeed for several days. Even the rather formal and slightly off-key clothing made no immediate impression on her. Nor did the fact that although the customers were talking there was no noise from them that caused her to question her senses. Nor did she notice that there was no smell of coffee.

So the implication is that there was no smell of coffee, and although she didn't notice the absence at the time, she later realised this was the case.

I don't say it's impossible, but does our sensory perception usually operate like this? I'm not convinced mine does. Without an eidetic memory (or comparable powers of recall for the other four senses) phenomena like smell tend to be experienced predominantly in the here-and-now; I find my ability to return and interrogate past sensations extremely limited, especially with smells and tastes which I experience much less keenly than sight and hearing.

If you were to ask me, say, whether I had smelt the burning leaves on the air, I think if I hadn't noted it at the time, my response would be based more on contextual guesswork than on a re-examination of the experience past: my memory produces sketches based on ephermeral sense-data and then discards most traces of the raw sensation itself—I can't add much to them after the fact.

Good post, but I find this part—either the phrasing or the occurence—odd:

Mrs Warburton did not stay but she certainly did not recognise anything amiss either then or indeed for several days. Even the rather formal and slightly off-key clothing made no immediate impression on her. Nor did the fact that although the customers were talking there was no noise from them that caused her to question her senses. Nor did she notice that there was no smell of coffee.

So the implication is that there was no smell of coffee, and although she didn't notice the absence at the time, she later realised this was the case.

I don't say it's impossible, but does our sensory perception usually operate like this? I'm not convinced mine does. Without an eidetic memory (or comparable powers of recall for the other four senses) phenomena like smell tend to be experienced predominantly in the here-and-now; I find my ability to return and interrogate past sensations extremely limited, especially with smells and tastes which I experience much less keenly than sight and hearing.

If you were to ask me, say, whether I had smelt the burning leaves on the air, I think if I hadn't noted it at the time, my response would be based more on contextual guesswork than on a re-examination of the experience past: my memory produces sketches based on ephermeral sense-data and then discards most traces of the raw sensation itself—I can't add much to them after the fact.
Yes that is an odd thing now you mention it. Could it be possible that there just simply wasn't a coffee smell (maybe windows/doors were open for eg- it was June) and she only thought it strange after the fact, when she was at home making her own coffee perhaps? I agree though, it's not something I think I would have considered days later.

The Doctors actions are also a tad strange;

''Remarkably, Dr Moon seems not at the time to have been either alarmed or even mildly surprised by the changed scenery, by the quite oddly dressed man approaching him or the fact that his car was missing. What preoccupied him was the thought of Lord Carson's prescription. He simply turned away, without any concern, to go back into the house.''

I'm pretty sure that I'd have gone outside to see what on earth had happened!

Back