• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

La Zona Del Silencio (Zone Of Silence; Mexico)

ginoide

Abominable Snowman
anybody heard about this area in mexico? onyx (or whatever your current name is), can you help?

torreon.gob.mx/laciudad/turi ... lencio.php
Link is dead. See later post for archived text of the MIA webpage's content.

there seems to be a movie about it, too:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360234/

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this if it helps.
http://ufos.about.com/cs/spooklights1/a/040703a.htm

"Zone of Silence, Part I
From Apply Now,
Your Guide to UFOs / Aliens.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

Mexico's La Zona del Silencio
If you look at a detailed map of Mexico, just southwest of the spot where the Mexican states of Coahuila, Chihuahua, and Durango meet, you might see an area called "Zona del Silencio," or "Zone of Silence." It's part of the Bolson de Mapimi, which is in turn part of the Chihuahua Desert. 1000 million years ago the area was beneath an ocean, but today it's a forbidding desert where daytime high summer temperatures have reached a reported 122 degrees F.
The Zone itself doesn't have well-defined borders, and tends to move around depending on who's talking about it. Most sources confine it to Durango, but some extend it into Chihuahua and a few even into Coahuila.

Very little information is available about the area before 1970, but there are stories of farmers in the area reporting that "hot pebbles" falling from a clear sky pelted their land. ...

In the 1930s a pilot named Francisco Sarbia reported that his radio ceased to function when he flew over the zone.
According to Warren Smith in his book "Ancient Mysteries of the Mexican and Mayan Pyramids," the Zone of Silences was actually measured in 1969 by an engineer of the Mexican Oil Cartel named Harry de la Pena, who was prospecting in the area for possible oil-bearing geological formations. He and his group found that their walkie-talkies would not work in a triangle-shaped area measuring 3 x 3 x 3 kilometers. De la Pena speculated that large deposits of magnetic iron might be under the Zone, which would account for the poor transmission of radio waves and the sometimes reported short-circuiting of electrical equipment.

The area also has a reputation for attracting meteorites. The Museum of Mineralogy of the University of Rome has a sample of a type of meteorite known as a hexahedrite from the Bolson de Mapimi. This meteorite has been known since 1837 and it weighed at least 2064 kg.

There is also the story that in 1969, a strange meteorite referred to as the "Allende meteorite," first dodged a Russian satellite and then orbited around the Earth before crashing into the area of the Zone.

The Zone's modern notoriety can be traced to July, 1970, when the U.S. base at Green River, Utah test fired an Athena missile. The missile was supposed to land on the White Sands Proving Grounds in New Mexico, but the missile mysteriously overshot White Sands and continued south until it finally crashed into the Bolson de Mapimi. The U.S. went into the area to retrieve its missile with exaggerated secrecy precautions that served more to attract attention to the search than anything. After three weeks of searching, they found it stuck nose-first into a sand dune. They built an airstrip and a spur from the nearest railroad to the site and hauled off their property.

Supposedly, a few years later, an upper stage from one of the Saturn boosters used on the Apollo project broke up over the very same area.

Since de la Pena's visit, the Mexican government built a research facility in the Bolson de Mapimi that has become known as the "Biosphere." The facility has attracted scientists from all over the world, mainly to study the geology and flora and fauna of the area."

THERE ARE MORE PAGES FOLLOWING ON THE SITE...ENJOY

Last edited by a moderator:
GadaffiDuck said:

There is also the story that in 1969, a strange meteorite referred to as the "Allende meteorite," first dodged a Russian satellite and then orbited around the Earth before crashing into the area of the Zone.

i find this one fascinating....any links to how this was xplained to the general public?

just did a google search on "Allende meteorite,"...19,900 refs to it...seems like a lot of work has been done on said rock.

unfortunately can not find any ref: to... first dodged a Russian satellite and then orbited around the Earth before crashing into the area of the Zone.

not that i doubt you for one second...i do find this one very fortean.

I have no idea if the story is true (but my natural sceptical bent of many web references and unsupported assertions leads me to doubt...in an open minded kinda way :lol: ). I'll see what I can find...

very succinctly and elequently put....
cheers mate..thankyou.

I have just spent a fruitless 20 minutes attempting to locate anything pertaining to these meteors dodging satellites. Guess what? Can't find a damn thing - which doesn't really surprise me :lol:

There was a paperback on the zone of silence. I bought it some years ago. Released probably in the 1980;s.. There were some interesting chapters, but overall I got the impression the the author was really stretching the material to make it enough to fill a book.

Unexplained Mysteries podcast had a two-part episode on the Zone of Silence. https://www.parcast.com/unexplained
Skeptoid did an episode as well. Mexico's Zone of Silence
Atlas Obscura piece is basically all sensationalism. https://www.atlasobscura.com/articl...where-radio-signals-fail-and-meteorites-crash
There appears to be some legit weirdness here but, as with other paranormal "hotspots", there is a lot of hype that doesn't pan out. I'm not quite clear on the natural explanations but there is a dissertation I'm going to check out:
http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/...hern-mexico-scientific-marvel-or-just-fiction
https://www.researchgate.net/public...d_Researchers_in_the_Mapimi_Biosphere_Reserve

The link in post #1 is long dead. Here's the full text of the English version of the MIA webpage ...

Zona del Silencio

The Silent Zone

In the central part of the Bolson de Mapimí the Silent Zone is located. The enigmatic name is worthy of many of myths that have arisen around the zone. The Bolson de Mapimí, is located in the central-north part of the country, about 180 km to the northwest of La Laguna that has as main cities: Torreon-Gomez Palacio-and Lerdo, that comprises the Chihuahuense Desert.

The Silent Zone is located between Durango, Chihuahua, and Coahuila, between parallels 26 and 28, in the place called: Trino Vertex. The Silent Zone is designated as such because radio waves cannot be transmitted in a normal way, this occurs only in some small sections of the area because magnetic fields exist.

A long time ago, this great piece of earth was underwater in the Sea of Thetis, this explains the marine fossil existence in the Zone. Also in the Silent Zone, there are areas with great meteorite fragment concentration, as well as endemic species. Some of these unique animal specimen that can be found are the turtles of the desert, msny unique reptiles that cannot be foundanywhere else in the world. There is also an abundance of purple cactus which their color is likened to the ozone layer that protects us from solar rays, but have been worn away by the solar wind. Also there is the governor plant, the sabaneta can be found, pastizales, ocotillos, cactaceous magueyales and, some of them endemic, yuccas, candelilla, cactusplants, and mezquite trees. As well, hares and rabbits, mice and rats, kangaroo, foxes, coyotes, and owls. Like the vegetation, the animals undergo special adaptations that allow them to live in the adverse conditions of this hostile region.

The Silent Zone frequently is compared to the Bermuda Triangle, the Egyptian Pyramids, the Sacred Cities of Tibet, Cabo Cañaveral, all being located between parallels 26 and 28 (Hunt 1984). Another version of the Silent Zone was discovered on the other side of the world, in some part of Tíbet or Nepal, a zone with the same characterÌstics existed. The reason why it was considered the a special zone is because it was discovered to be like a pole where the terrestrial energy is concentrated. In 1978, the Reserve of the Biosphere of Mapimí, supported by the program "the Man and the Biosphere" of UNESCO was created, along with the Institute of Ecology, CONACYT and other organizations. The Institute of Ecology gives four simple recommendations to take care of of the Silent Zone:
  • Avoid the extraction of plants, animals, fossils, archaeological arrowheads or other special items
  • Avoid any type of disturbance to the atmosphere, so as not to ignite fires
  • Don´t litter on or around the site. If you take cans and food, pick up any waste and take it with you.
  • To keep the gates closed of the fences of the corrals of farms.
SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:

https://web.archive.org/web/2006051...ism/alrededores/zona_del_silencio_english.php

See Also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapimí_Silent_Zone

The purported mysteries associated with this area seem to have surfaced in conjunction with the search for, and recovery of, a 1970 Athena missile launch from Utah which completely missed its intended White Sands destination and veered off into Mexico.

The Wikipedia entry cited above provides a link to a White Sands Missile Range document describing the incident. That link is dead. The document can be accessed (in PDF format) from a Utah historical organization site at:

https://history.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/UHQ-The-Athena-That-Got-Away.pdf

Back