• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lagarfljótsormur

This topic interests me I must say - there are some unusual sightings in a relatively new place (geologically speaking) where the culture allows/permits such things. I must go to Iceland one of these days for a poke around.

This topic interests me I must say - there are some unusual sightings in a relatively new place (geologically speaking) where the culture allows/permits such things. I must go to Iceland one of these days for a poke around.

It looks like such a stunning place. Our eldest son went there around 3 years ago and the pictures he's shown us are jaw dropping. Unlike anything I can experience here at home plus quite a number of Fortean phenomena to explore... the worm, Elves etc. If you have access to Amazon Prime, watch the documentary that lordmongrove writes about in his original post. The scenery is sublime, the lake where the worm supposedly lives is like a mirror (no boats allowed).

It looks like such a stunning place. Our eldest son went there around 3 years ago and the pictures he's shown us are jaw dropping. Unlike anything I can experience here at home plus quite a number of Fortean phenomena to explore... the worm, Elves etc. If you have access to Amazon Prime, watch the documentary that lordmongrove writes about in his original post. The scenery is sublime, the lake where the worm supposedly lives is like a mirror (no boats allowed).
Ah, now I understand why I couldn't view the original.

This was solved.
https://www.livescience.com/18464-icelandic-river-monster-mystery-solved.html
The object is not moving forward in the water, it is stationary. Also, it never made biological sense - reptilian motion in a near-frozen river?

"This behavior is completely consistent with an ice-caked fishing net or piece of cloth caught on an underwater branch or rock -- and completely inconsistent with a living animal. With this new information it seems most likely that the video was not a hoax after all: Kjerúlf happened to notice a natural, inanimate object in the water and decided to videotape it."

This was solved.
https://www.livescience.com/18464-icelandic-river-monster-mystery-solved.html
The object is not moving forward in the water, it is stationary. Also, it never made biological sense - reptilian motion in a near-frozen river?

"This behavior is completely consistent with an ice-caked fishing net or piece of cloth caught on an underwater branch or rock -- and completely inconsistent with a living animal. With this new information it seems most likely that the video was not a hoax after all: Kjerúlf happened to notice a natural, inanimate object in the water and decided to videotape it."

It was a fisherman's net coiled up by the current and stiffened with ice. I was never taken in by it from the word go. However the other stuff at the lake is interesting. The escaping gas seems to be behind allot of it.

I think it is interesting as a thing in itself. A definitely got a second of oh WOW!!!!!!!! and then saw it was stationary. But the articulation and the clarity made for a thrilling moment!

Back