• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lake Monsters Of Michigan

A security video of a Lake Michigan pier filmed during a storm is showing an unidentified large creature. Sturgeon and eel has been suggested.

A security video of a Lake Michigan pier filmed during a storm is showing an unidentified large creature. Sturgeon and eel has been suggested.

This is peculiar isn't it? Monster? Real creature or debris?

It looks like debris to me, it never seems to look like its under its own power. It only moves when pushed or lifted by waves and right at the very end (55 seconds) when it falls off the far side it appears to break into 2 pieces. Shame, i love a good sea monster story.

The first thing to do is figure out where this video was shot. Over at Mysterious Universe:

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019...re-recorded-in-lake-michigan-during-a-storm/#

... the lighthouse is identified as the South Pier lighthouse in Charlevoix, Michigan. This is obviously incorrect - the Charlevoix South Pier lighthouse doesn't look anything like what's visible in the video.

The video cites WWMT (a TV station in Kalamazoo, far to the south). By shifting to the general Kalamazoo area and searching, it would seem the video actually shows the South Haven lighthouse. The original video posted on Facebook (which mysteriously disappeared and reappeared this morning) is now annotated to specify South Haven was indeed the sighting site.

It looks like debris to me, it never seems to look like its under its own power. It only moves when pushed or lifted by waves and right at the very end (55 seconds) when it falls off the far side it appears to break into 2 pieces. ...

I agree about its being inert debris rather than a living creature.

I've found two specific debris theories posted by residents of the South Haven area. One is that it's a length of silt fencing used for beach erosion control. Another is that it might be a large rubber mat of a type known to be used on the adjacent beach for launching boats.

Doesn't look living at all. If it was, though, it would be in sorry shape, half-dead, and would likely have been thrown on shore.

It would not be the first time rubber mats have been implicated as water monsters. Nor will it be the last.

Back