• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Landscape Of Panic (Patrick Harpur; FT 141)

A

Anonymous

I'm doing some research about cases of panic and unexplained fear, along the lines of Patrick Harpur's article "Landscape of Panic" (FT 141 - on this site). In particular, I'm trying to find out more about the example he mentions of "the last person to die of panic" in the New Forest.

I'm also after any information, stories or links/resources about such subjects as:
  • The God Pan
  • Wotan and The Wild Hunt
  • "Revenge of Nature"
  • Myths/Legends/Ghost Stories about Forests
  • Unexplained deaths due to fear/panic

If anyone could help me on this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

A Book of short stories I read a few years ago covered subjects like Pan-like wood critters, winds of fear, plus other general spooky tales. Obviously all fiction and very romanticised. Awash with Fortean subjects and quite beautifully written, if you can find it....

'Tales of the uncanny and supernatural' by Algernon Blackwood

There was recently, a Fortian article in the Sunday Times in respect of 'illogical' panic. I suspect that there are many supposedly irrational triggers to this kind of fear.

I & my late mother enjoyed visiting old churches, but there were times when we needed to 'bale out' due to sudden panic attacks, often only experienced by one of us. They were illogical, but very real at the time & I have compared the experiences with other people who have had the same experiences at other times, BUT at the same sites!!!!!

BlackDragon said:
I'm also after any information, stories or links/resources about such subjects as:
  • The God Pan
  • Wotan and The Wild Hunt
  • "Revenge of Nature"
  • Myths/Legends/Ghost Stories about Forests
  • Unexplained deaths due to fear/panic

If anyone could help me on this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Frazier's "Golden Bough" touches upon several of these subjects
especially myths about nature.

After reading the article I remembered something about similar effects on mountains and specifically a ghost hound called the Lurcher that was supposed to live in the Cairngorms and terrify people into running off a cliff. But I could find no sign of it, although there was a whole bunch of stuff on the related Grey Man who seems to be a similar phenomenon. Anyway, here are a couple of links I found through google:

Panic on Ben MacDhui
British hobgoblins and spirits - includes interesting set of wild hund variants.

Thanks

Thanks all for your help so far. I'm following some of these up and they're proving useful.

David: do you happen to remember which issue of the Sunday Times the article you mentioned was in?

Breakfast: can I ask, what keywords did you use to search?

I'm still looking for information, so if anyone else can help, I would still be most grateful!.

Cheers

In his book Borderlands, Mike Dash mentions the occurence of Sudden Unexplained Nocturnal Death Syndrome (SUNDS). This appears to be confined to men from SE Asia. Those affected "die abruptly and inexplicably in their sleep...in a manner that suggests they have been killed by sheer terror." Might be worth following up.

Sorry BlackDragon, it was the Sunday Telegraph, (not the Times as I originaly said), BUT, I still can't remember the date. It was I think on the last inside page of the second section & was one of a still continuing series of articles by the bloke who did Fortnian TV. Give me to Sunday & I can at least give you his name .

Regret I can't do better!!!!

david, r u thinking of lional fanshawe?

on the forests thing - mythago wood and it's sequels by robert holdstock has some interesting ideas.

wotan and the wild hunt myths are covered in 'the dark is rising' sequence by susan cooper, although I think in her book it's Hern/Cernunnos that leads the hunt, but perhaps they're linked somewhere?

Try Trees of Ghostly Dread, by Elliott O'Donnell. Also see "Nights in Hyde Park" and "Hauntings in Other Parks and Commons" in O'Donnell's More Haunted Houses of London. And "The Way Meadow, Somerset" in O'Donnell's Some Haunted Houses. Deadly trees and parks are a recurring motif in O'Donnell's books.

Cheers,
Chris

What Mankind needs is a large predator.

No dot23, it's Paul Sieveking the Editor of FT. But thanks for the reminder.

Unfortunately, I still can't find the date of the article in question.

Fraid I can't remember what I searched for- I started with "Cairngorms Haunting" and then narrowed it down from there to Ben MacDhui and so on. If you start with rough searches and then eliminate words that turn up in wrong results (so you get " searchword searchword2 -wrongword " you will find that you fairly quickly get onto the right sort of ground and can then sharpen up your searches precisely.

I second dot23's recommendation of Robert Holdstock's "Mythago Wood" sequence because they are totally fantastic.

Link to new thread

Ah *this* is the thread I was looking for when I posted this:

Unfortunately for you I wasn't felled as a result of my experience. Sorry! ;)

For a fine fictional Wild Hunt try Moon of Gomrath by Alan Garner.

david, r u thinking of lional fanshawe?

I think you'll find that it's Lionel Fanthorpe, Church of Wales Reverend, Rennes expert and sometime exorcist ( he ghost-busted my local Odeon).

And, yes, presenter of Fortean TV (new series in the offing, anyone?)

Can anyone pinpoint the particular issue this appeared in? Only a couple of years ago, but I can't get to my FTs at the moment.

I want to show it to a friend who has never experienced any kind of panic in his life and can't really appreciate how overwhelming true panic is.

cheers in advance!

From the site's archives:
Landscape of Panic
Link is dead. See later post for access to the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheQuixote said:

Landscape of Panic

Thanks for that - I didn't realised it had been archived. I can't believe it's such an old article - it's making me feel old! - I only thought it a couple of years old at the most.

Thanks again.

Has anyone read an excellent (i suppose opinions differ) story by Algernon Blackwood called "A touch of Pan"? It's one of my favourites because it rather reminds me of being on mushrooms, but it's about a couple of aristocrats who hate their social world being transported into a wild dance with invisible people in the middle of a forest at night. Pan comes along, and looks different to all of them, but gives them a very pleasant feeling :). Then they magically and invisibly lead some jaded and boring acquaintances to the same place, where they suspect sounds and become incredibly frightened :)

Found a nice little article on the subject:

Panic on the streets of Staffin

Link is dead. See later post for more info ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
I'm doing some research about cases of panic and unexplained fear, along the lines of Patrick Harpur's article "Landscape of Panic" (FT 141 - on this site). ...
Landscape of Panic
Link is dead. See later post for access to the article.

Harpur's article is no longer hosted online. Here's the full text of the article ...
Landscape of Panic

We tend to think of nature as being essentially benign and long since tamed by man,but its gods and spirits can still inspire fear. Patrick Harpur recounts some everyday tales of daylight terror. ...

A friend of mine once pointed out to me the place in the New Forest where “the last person to die of panic ” had been found; the corpse crouched against a tree, its teeth bared in a rictus of fear. This had happened in about the 1920s, he thought; but it sounds, despite its rural setting, very like what we now call an urban legend. I wonder how many other woods or wild places are credited with a death by panic –the idea that someone, out in Nature, can be suddenly overwhelmed by a seemingly causeless irrational terror. It is a state named after the Greek god Pan because it is he who personifies the wilderness, inhabiting caves, dells, grottoes and woods; he who, with a terrible shout, causes the wayfarer to flee uncontrollably.

The sudden onset of panic is not only found in myth and legend, however. On a sunny summer ’s afternoon in 1953, my father and uncle were sea fishing off some rocks near Waterville in Co Kerry. Both were young veterans of the Second World War; my dad had been decorated more than once for bravery. At one point, my uncle told me, his line had snagged on something underwater. As he tried to tug it free, he had the distinct feeling that something was holding it. A kind of horror began to creep over him, as if the something were intelligent and terrible. He glanced over at my father who, deathly pale, was already watching him. As one, they threw down their rods and ran “for their lives,” not stopping until they were back at their hotel.

Common sense tells us that, in Ireland,the cause of panic might lie closer to home than Pan.The Tuatha de Danann , also known as the Sidhe, the fairies, or, more in hope than expectation, the ‘Good People’, are as likely to harm as help us, dealing us a blow or ‘stroke’, abducting our children, blighting crops if we offend them. And we can, famously, offend them simply by trespassing on one of their haunts, whether a fairy ‘fort ’or rath, or one of the ‘threshold zones ’they favour, such as fords, bridges or sea shores. They do not want too much to be known about them, according to the poet WB Yeats; and folklorist Katharine Briggs notes that they are dangerous if they see you before you see them. Incidentally, while twilight is traditionally the liminal time preferred by the fairies for their appearance, Pan ’s hour is noon. If incidents of panic do not literally occur at this time, they do take place in the heat of the day.

My supervisor at Cambridge, the Yeats scholar Tom Henn, had an experience similar to my father ’s which he describes in his autobiography ive Arches. As a teenager, in 1915, he was fishing a tributary of the Shannon near Paradise –his family ’s estate in Co Galway – when, as he writes,“an overpowering fear attacked me, utterly cold in quality, and terrible because of its irrationality in that sunlit, lonely place. I remember that I dashed out of the water, up and out of the hollow and ran and ran, sweat-sodden, till after a mile or so I came within sight of a cottage.There was nothing following me.”

According to her autobiography Time out of Mind, the medium and author Joan Grant – her two books about ancient Egypt, Winged Pharaoh and The Eyes of Horus, were received psychically – was staying with her husband Leslie at a shooting lodge, near Grantown-on-Spey in Scotland, in August 1928. One day they' went to Rothiemurchus. intending to climb towards the Cairngorms. However, it was a beautiful September day, too hot for serious hiking, and so they settled for a gentle walk. Nothing could have been farther from my mind than spooks," wrote Joan, "when suddenly I was seized with such tenor that I turned and in panic fled back along the path. Leslie ran after me, imploring me to tell him what was wrong. I could only spare breath enough to tell him to run faster, faster. Something - utterly malign, four-legged and yet obscenely human, invisible and yet solid enough for me to hear the pounding of its hooves, was trying to reach me. If it did I should die, for I was far too frightened to know how to defend myself. I had run about half a mile when I burst through an invisible barrier behind which I was safe."

Some years later, the local doctor told Joan that two hikers had been found dead at the exact location of her terror. Both men were under 30; the weather had been fine; they had spent a good night under the shelter stone on the highest ridge (they had written to that effect in the book that was kept up there), "They were found within a hundred yards of each other sprawled face downward, as though they had fallen headlong when in flight." The doctor performed a postmortem on them both. "Never in my life have I seen healthier corpses" he said. "Not a thing wrong with either of the poor chaps except that their hearts stopped. I put 'heart failure' on the chit, but it is my considered opinion that they died of fright."

To be seized by panic depends in part on who you are, it seems, since Joan's husband was oblivious to the centaur-like pursuer. Yet the encounter also attaches to a particular place if the case of the dead hikers is anything to go by. On the other hand, Tom Henn subsequently went fishing several times at the place of his panic and experienced nothing like it again. Like all anomalous events, panic is partly to do with us and partly not, partly from within us and partly without.

Plutarch reported that a mysterious cry rang through late antiquity: "Great Pan is dead!" Pan's death signifies the death of Nature as an animate power, the withdrawal of the gods and daimons. But gods cannot die: thus Pan may well have moved north to head, in the form of Wotan, the Wild Hunt [see FT136] which from time to time swept like a destructive wind over the European countryside, maiming or deranging anyone in its path. He took cover behind the horned and hoofed Devil of the Christians. He haunted the literary imagination - in English poetry he outnumbers his nearest Greek rivals (Helen, Orpheus and Persephone by nearly two to one. Above all, he lived on in our nightmares, as Ephialtes - "he who jumps up" and then presses down on us so that we can neither move nor speak. Indeed. since our modem mythologies of religion and science have outlawed Pan, the creative voice of Nature has fallen silent and he is forced to appear inwardly, in the caves and grottoes of the psyche, as an overwhelming instinctual force.

Yet was Pan perhaps present in the following tale from crop circle lore? In May 1990 Gary and Vivienne Tomlinson were out walking near the village of Hambledon. They paused to watch the wind blowing over a cornfield. Vivienne, a 36-year-old housewife from Guildford, had always been fascinated by the sight and sound of wind and "can lose herself watching it". Suddenly the wind changed. It seemed to blow from two directions at once, gathering strength, its whistling growing louder, "almost like a high-pitched pan-pipe sound. Then we felt a wind pushing us from the side and from above," Vivienne reported. "It was forcing down on our heads so that we could hardly stay upright, yet my husband's hair was standing on end. It was incredible... The noise was tremendous. We looked for a helicopter above us but there was nothing. Gary still shivers at the memory' and how his hair stood on end." Is this an account of Pan's primaeval, paralyzing, hair-raising 'shout'?

The wind continued to swirl around them, and they saw the corn being pushed down, forming a circle. "The corn swirled and then gently laid down. There was no feel of wind now or sound. It felt strange watching these ever-faster gathering gathering whirlwinds. They just seemed to increase; they were enveloping us quickly. I panicked, grabbed my husband's hand and pulled him out of the circle." Her instincts were sound; whoever steps into a fairy ring or joins a fairy revel is liable to be trapped.

As the personification of Nature, Pan is ambiguous. He is the protector of herdsmen and shepherds; fishermen and hunters. His benign face persuades those of us with a Romantic view that Nature is a smiling realm of peace and healing. But his dark, frightening side connects us with our own deepest instincts of fear and flight. This may not be a bad thing. If we are out for a gentle stroll in the country and, suddenly, 'we find that the world we thought was passive and dead is alive, animate and watchful, of course our first reaction is panic. It is we who are then passive, paralysed, as the world begins to move. No wonder we run as soon as we can.

But this may be only the way we are whenever we break away from civilisation, out of our safe habitat and into the wilderness. Pan helps us to stay in touch with instinct, to break out of the defensiveness that can lead to paranoia, to prevent the protective city wall from becoming a prison. Pan introduces a bit of necessary wildness into our lives; he gives body to our airy-fairy spirituality; he injects the nymphs of sweetness and Iight with a bit of hoof and goat-stink. That Pan can be good for the is evidenced by Apuleius' tale of Eros and Psyche in which Pan saves Psyche - the soul - from suicide after Eros has abandoned her.

Nevertheless, the perils of an encounter with Pan should not be underestimated. In Memory Hold-the-Door, John Buchan - the former governor general of Canada and author of such adventure stories as The Thirty-Nine Steps - recounts how in 1910 he set out to climb a small peak called the Alpspitze in the Bavarian Wettersteingebirge above Partenkirchen. Accompanied by a young forester named Sebastian, he reached the top at about nine in the morning (having left at 2 am). They breakfasted in a mountain inn before beginning the six-mile walk back down to the valley. "It was a brilliant summer day with a promise of great heat. But our road lay through pleasant shady pine woods and flowery meadows" wrote Buchan. "I noticed that my companion had fallen silent, and, glancing at him, was amazed to see that his face was dead-white, that sweat stood in beads on his forehead, and that his eyes were staring ahead as if he was in an agony of fear, as if terror were all around him so that he dared not look one way rather than another. Suddenly he began to run, and I ran too, some power not myself constraining me. Terror had seized me also, but I did not know what I dreaded; it was like the epidemic of giggling which overcomes children who have no wish to laugh. We ran - we ran like demented bacchanals, tearing down the glades, leaping rocks. bursting through thickets, colliding with trees, sometimes colliding with each other, and all the time we never uttered a sound. At last we fetched up beside the much-frequented valley highway, where we lay for a time utterly exhausted. For the rest of the road home we did not speak: we did not even dare to look at each other".

What, wonders Buchan, was it all about? "I suppose it was Panic," he surmises. "Sebastian had seen the goat-foot god or something of the kind - he was forest-born, and Bavarian peasants are very near primeval things - and he had made me feel his terror." It is a terror, salutary or fatal, which we are always open to whenever we stray off the beaten track; a horror we are liable to hook whenever we sink a line into the depths.

SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:
https://web.archive.org/web/20011209094750/http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/141_harpanic.shtml

Last edited:
I have a book, cant recall the author, `A Forest By Night`

He spent several years out all night in Epping forest, watching badgers.

So, he was more familiar than most with night woods.

yet he describes several incident like that, all inexplicable.

I have a book, cant recall the author, `A Forest By Night`

He spent several years out all night in Epping forest, watching badgers.

So, he was more familiar than most with night woods.

yet he describes several incident like that, all inexplicable.
I used to live in Epping Forest, the author is Fred Speakman, one of the Forest ponds is named after him.

Is that the pond where the little dog was allegedly et by a pike??

Is that the pond where the little dog was allegedly et by a pike??
Not familiar with that story but I suspect not as the pond like many of those in the forest is an old gravel working (in this case from 1894) and up until its depth was increased in 1985 it was less than 30cm deep. It seasonally dries out as well. There are something in the order of 109 ponds in Epping Forest.

Back