• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

@lantis TV: US Secret Dig In Antarctica -- Spoof Alert!

A

Anonymous

Re. The story from today's FT Breaking News, 'Spectacular Ruins' in Antarctica Captured on Video' from: Paranormal.com It looks like it's an ingenious and annoying marketing spoof:

ORIGINALLY posted in Q&A on @LANTIS TV SIte:

Q.
Is this dig in Antarctica for real?

A.
As the world's exclusive link to the secret U.S. dig in Antarctica and "earth's coolest entertainment," @lantisTV is one of the most creative combinations of fantasy and reality in entertainment today.

Every week tens of thousands of Internet subscribers anxiously await news updates on a fictional archeological dig in Antarctica. World-class archeologists are even submitting their resumes to @lantisTV in hopes of joining the expedition. And educators who “get it” are using @lantisTV as a valuable learning tool to capture the attention of jaded students.

The social mission of @lantisTV is to produce works of imagination and impact that shape the world's vision of reality. Via books, movies, TV, the Web and other media, @lantisTV aims to entertain, enlighten and empower audiences the world over.

Find the site on: [email protected]

Edit: The other '@lantis' site is just a holding site. Thanks to for checking, HC. :yeay:

Guillermo del Toro is apparently working on filming H.P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness". From the rumors I heard, it was going to be updated to be in the current era instead of the 1920's. (Personally, I think making it a period piece would be neat, particularly since it leaves the doors open to the NAZIs going back 10 years later).

This is one story that I really look forward to seeing a good film version of. Most of the film versions of HPL seem pretty schlocky to me, although I haven't actually seen some of the latest crop.

This really sounded like some sort of marketing covert op for the above. But then, we had that weirdness with lake Vostok & evacuations & other unexplicable stuff last year (or was it 2001?).

Off thread, but Fortean - your posts just gave me an intense deja-vu experience, right down to the cup of coffee I'm drinking. Weird.

Or has something about this fictional dig been posted before? Now I'm just confused.

Maybe some of you should be a little less paranoid.

Sometimes, just sometimes, the marketing opportunities are covert inasmuch as they are scried sponsorship offers for research, thereby validating the public approval of the project concerned.

Or maybe I know you all too well.

Eh? Come again?

Are you saying that this is a trial balloon floated by someone who wants to know if the public approves of archeological expeditions to dig up massive ancient ruins in Antartica?

Doesn't that assume that there are massive ancient ruins in Antartica to be dug up?

Or are you saying that someone wants to know if the public would go see a fictional movie about the same?

Thanks for the intelligent response PhiloT.

All I am saying is that if you had both entrepreneurial skills and a fortean thesis, but limited cash to support your research, you might want to test public reaction before soliciting organisations for financial back-up. After all, no-one likes to back a loser.

I think the above Q&A quote from the @lantis.tv site pretty much explains the entertainment part of the equation. If you go to the site and consider signing on for the ride, you'll probably read the rider about the marketing research end of the deal.

Post Script: I've removed my erroneous reference to an @lantis holding site in the original post.

Guillermo del Toro is apparently working on filming H.P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness". From the rumors I heard, it was going to be updated to be in the current era instead of the 1920's. (Personally, I think making it a period piece would be neat, particularly since it leaves the doors open to the NAZIs going back 10 years later).

This is one story that I really look forward to seeing a good film version of. Most of the film versions of HPL seem pretty schlocky to me, although I haven't actually seen some of the latest crop.

This really sounded like some sort of marketing covert op for the above. But then, we had that weirdness with lake Vostok & evacuations & other unexplicable stuff last year (or was it 2001?).

Depressing account of what happened to his attempts to make At the Mountains of Madness here [text is transcription of video]:

http://collider.com/guillermo-del-toro-mountains-of-madness-artwork-video/#rating

I would loved to have watched it.

Back