• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Collective Disappearances (Settlements, Crews, Etc.)

Years ago I read of an Eskimo village in Canada that mysteriously dissappeared. The people disappeared, but the village, boats, and dog sleds were still there. As I recall, even the corpses in the cvillage cemetary had dissappeared. I believe that this happened in the 1920s, but I don't remember for sure. I read of this in a book "Fate's Strangest Mysteries".

See:
Angikuni / Anjikuni Lake Inuit Village Disappearance
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ikuni-lake-inuit-village-disappearance.65354/

Last edited by a moderator:
As to whether 'disappearances' are growing smaller in scale, I would imagine that small communities that live ithe worlds various rainforests are under threat all of the time, and no doubt some have ceased to exist. But, like the other cases cited, this doesn't mean that there is some big mystery as to why cultures and people 'disappear'. There are various factors involved - disease, population collapse, invasion or absorbtion by other nearby cultures, etc.. If they literally vanished overnight, then yes, that would be unusual ;) But this process may not be that quick. It becomes mysterious because we don't have enough information about what actually happened.

America's Lost Colony: Can New Dig Solve Mystery?

Willie Drye
for National Geographic News
March 2, 2004

More than four centuries ago, English colonists hoped to carve out a new life—and substantial profits—in the wild and strange land of North America. One group of colonists gave up and returned to England. A second colony, in what is now North Carolina, vanished in the 1580s and became immortalized in history as the "Lost Colony."

Today the prosperous little town of Manteo, North Carolina, surrounds the Fort Raleigh National Historic Site, a national park protecting the place where the English tried to establish their first American colony—before Plymouth, before even Jamestown.

Archaeologists know that the colonists spent some time at this spot on the north end of Roanoke Island, but they don't know much more about those unlucky settlers.

That might change soon, however. A group of archaeologists and historians met in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, earlier this month to launch the First Colony Foundation to raise money for new archaeological excavations in the Fort Raleigh park. They plan to start digging into one of the United States' most enduring historical puzzles early this summer.

Even as the excavation looms, not everyone is eager for the answer to the Lost Colony myster. North Carolina attorney Phil Evans, who helped start the First Colony Foundation, said, "I've always said I'd be just as happy if it was never solved. I like it being a mystery."

First Settlement

The story of the first English colony in North America has been fascinating historians and curiosity seekers for a very long time. The saga began on a summer day 420 years ago when co-captain Arthur Barlowe and a few dozen other Englishmen stood at the railing of their ship and peered anxiously across the water at a strange new world.

They had no idea what to expect, but the odor wafting to them from the small islands off the coast of what is now North Carolina filled Barlowe with wild hopes. The vegetation was at its summer peak, and the aroma was like that of "some delicate garden" full of fragrant flowers, he wrote later.

Barlowe was part of an expedition sent by Sir Walter Raleigh, an English courtier, to find a place for a colony. Roanoke Island, protected from the Atlantic Ocean by the slender sand dunes that came to be known as the Outer Banks, seemed a likely spot.

The soil, Barlowe said, was "the most plentiful, sweet, wholesome and fruitful of all the world." And the Native Americans living on the island were, in Barlowe's opinion, "gentle, loving and faithful, void of all guile and treason."

Based on Barlowe's report and backed by Queen Elizabeth, Raleigh sent an all-male colony of more than a hundred settlers to Roanoke Island in July 1585. For a while things went well.

Among the colonists were a brilliant scientist named Thomas Hariot and artist John White. Hariot set up the New World's first science laboratory, while White made detailed maps and drawings of the Indians and his new surroundings.

Problems soon befell the Englishmen, however. The Indians, angered by the harsh tactics of the colony commander, Sir Ralph Lane, became hostile. Supply ships from England didn't arrive, and food became scarce. So when Sir Francis Drake, on his way home from the West Indies, arrived at Roanoke Island in the summer of 1586, the discouraged colonists opted to return to England with Drake.

When the supply ships arrived shortly after Drake's departure, the crews found only a deserted settlement. Sir Richard Grenville, commander of the supply fleet, left behind 15 men to hold the island and sailed back to England.

Later, at an abbey in Ireland, Hariot started writing a book about the wonderful new land on the other side of the world. But on Roanoke Island, the tiny English garrison left by Greenville was in serious trouble.

The Indians had decided they'd had enough of the foreigners and attacked the settlement. The outnumbered Englishmen scrambled into their boat and fled.

They were never seen again.

Second Attempt

A second colony of about 115 English settlers—including women and children—landed on Roanoke Island in August 1587. They found only the charred ruins of the village. It was an ominous welcome. But the colonists decided to rebuild and make a new start.

John White, the artist who had returned as governor of the second colony, went back to England to gather more supplies. He intended to return to Roanoke Island right away, but war between England and Spain delayed him.

When White finally reached Roanoke Island in August 1590, he discovered that something had gone terribly wrong on the sweet-smelling island of fruitful soil. The colony was gone.

The only clue left was the cryptic word "Croatoan" carved on a tree. The word could have been a reference to a tribe of friendly Indians who lived south of Roanoke Island.

Some scholars think Indians may have killed the colonists; others think the English settlers moved farther inland and married into Native American tribes. A third theory says the colonists were killed by Spanish troops who came up from Florida. No one knows for certain what happened to the colonists.

The site of the settlement began gradually disappearing beneath the vegetation and shifting sands of Roanoke Island.

In 1607 England sent more colonists to the New World. This time they landed up the coast from Roanoke Island and founded a settlement called Jamestown in what is now Virginia. This colony managed to hold on through difficult times, and England had its permanent presence in North America. The Lost Colony of 1587 became a historical curiosity.

Recent Clues

Souvenir seekers have been digging on Roanoke Island at least since 1653, when trader John Farrar and three friends from Virginia landed on the island and left with artifacts from the English colonies.

Union soldiers stationed on Roanoke Island during the Civil War dug for artifacts, and in 1895, Philadelphia journalist Talcott Williams, who was also an amateur archaeologist, did some excavations in the area now enclosed by the national park boundaries.

Professional archaeologists have done several excavations since the late 1940s. They found artifacts undoubtedly left by the colonists, including remains from Hariot's science laboratory. But they didn't find the site of the colonists' village.

The members of the First Colony Foundation hope to learn more about Hariot's laboratory and the location of the village. Their curiosity has been piqued by several clues.

In 1982 Evans—who was then a student working at the Fort Raleigh National Historic Site—discovered the remains of an old well thought to be from the 16th century. Evans found the remnants in Roanoke Sound, an indication of serious erosion on the northern end of the island.

In 2000 National Park Service archaeologists using ground-penetrating radar discovered rectangular-shaped objects buried beneath several feet of sand. (Park Service staff did not excavate the objects, but suspect they could be related to Hariot's work.) In 2002 a swimmer stepped on a 16th-century ax head in shallow water just off the northern end of Roanoke Island.

Finding the well and the ax head offshore has prompted some members of the First Colony Foundation to wonder if the site of the colonists' village eroded away and now is submerged. Underwater archaeologist Gordon Watts says that at least 600 feet (180 meters) and perhaps as much as a quarter-mile (0.4 kilometer) of the island has gone underwater since the 16th century.

"That's one fact that you cannot ignore," Watts said. "If you're doing a comprehensive search for the 1585-1587 settlement, you can't ignore the possibility that the site is now underwater."

Like any classic mystery, however, there's polite disagreement among some of the experts about where the village might have been. Acclaimed archaeologist Ivor Noël-Hume, who led an excavation in the Fort Raleigh National Historic Park in the 1990s, thinks it's highly unlikely the village site is now underwater.

"That's only a personal view, I do assure you," Noël-Hume said. "I wouldn't want to discourage further excavations. But I think you're going to find the remains of the settlement on a piece of land."

Noël-Hume says he'd like to see an excavation done in an area of sand dunes near the beach on the northern end. That could be "very informative," he says.

Virginia archaeologist Nick Luccketti, who also has worked at Fort Raleigh, says he has a reason to believe that maybe the village site hasn't been lost to erosion. "I've talked to collectors who have walked the beach on the north end for 30 years, and they don't have any 16th-century European artifacts in their collections," Luccketti said.

Despite their disagreements about where the colonial village may have been, the experts concur that the English effort to plant colonies on Roanoke Island was a milestone in U.S. history.

"It earned its place in American history when Thomas Hariot worked in the science center and sent back a report that said America is worthy of commercial investment," Noël-Hume said.

Luccketti thinks lessons learned at Roanoke Island helped ensure the survival of the Jamestown colony 20 years later. Hariot told the Jamestown colonists about the Native Americans' extreme fondness for copper ornaments, and so the colonists brought copper with them. When the Jamestown colonists were on the verge of starving, they traded copper to the Indians for food, and that saved the Jamestown colony from extinction, Luccketti says.

Still, Evans thinks the mystery of the Lost Colony also is important because it lures people into the story of Roanoke Island.

"As long as the Lost Colony is unexplained, it stays fascinating for a lot of people," Evans said. "It's their entry into the story. They go in trying to figure out what happened to the colonists, and then they learn history. I don't want to take away the mystery. That's what makes it different and exciting."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/03/0302_040302_lostcolony.html

I can remember reading a story somewhere about a whole village disappearing.

I am pretty sure it was an eskimo/inuit (not sure what to call them) village in the north of Canada.

If I remember correctly a hunter/tracker dude had seen something strange in the sky in the general direction of the village a few days before he arrived there.

When he got there everyone was gone, some hundreds of people I think.

I also think the graveyard had been emptied, apparantly everyone was dug up even though the ground was frozen and this would be an obviously hard thing to do.

Anyone heard of this tall tale ?

See:
Angikuni / Anjikuni Lake Inuit Village Disappearance
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ikuni-lake-inuit-village-disappearance.65354/

Hmm most of these disapperances don't seem to mysterious to me. Most of them seem pretty easily explained, i.e. the Roanoke case. As for the Neanderthals, I personaly think that they were just absorbed into the sapien population through interbreeding (we all know a chap or two who fits the description pretty well), the Etruscians, to the best of my recollection were conquered by the Romans and absorbed into their culture, and The easter Island people...I think the favorite theory right now is that the island could not support their population and they eventually died off gradually. I'm sure that the other ancient diapperances have explinations but a lack of written history (Anastasi and Ankor Wat) or the extreme dubiousness and antiquity of the records (lost tribes of Israel [I mean the holy writings are NOT reliable as historical evidence]) makes it difficult to come up with teneable theories leaving the field open for a forteana field day. I'm not saying mass disaperance dosen't happen, just that the simplest explination is usually true. History is messy enough without whole civilizations mysteriously vanishing.

The Etruscans did not disappear, but were conquered by the Latins (soon to be Romans) who effectively absorbed them into their culture - much as the Gaels did with the Picts in Scotland, or indeed, as happened with the Lombards and Goths on Spain and Italy much later on. The 'hearland' region around Tuscany was referred to as 'Etruria' or 'Etruscan' by Romans for some time, and the Romans had knowledge of their language, which, as with Latin today, became an archaic language that fell out of popular use.

The Etruscans, who spent most of their time before the Latins conquered them, mimicking the Greeks in any case, became Romans, and many of their cultural achievements - such as the sewer system in Rome - became a part of Roman culture. The mystery surrounding them lay in the difficulties in translating the Etruscan alphabet.

there is a controversial theory according to which one sign of the etruscans' heritage (that is, a sign of their <permanence> in tuscany, as opposed to a sudden and unexplainable disappearance) is a particularity in the pronunciation of nowadays tuscan dialect. going a bit off topic, it must be said that tuscan dialect is not strictly a dialect: it is actually the base for italian and it offers the standard for the correct pronunciation of vowels.
well: the only really <dialectal> feature in tuscan is the so called <gorgia toscana>: the sound <c> in front of a, o and u at the beginning of a syllable is pronounced as <h>, so that <casa> becomes <hasa>. the same happens, in some areas, with <t>, which becmes t-h, and even with p. some linguists think this may come straight from the etruscan language, while others think it's a much more recent phenomenon.

Archaeologists plan search for lost Roanoke Settlement

The search for the settlement site of Sir Walter Raleigh's Roanoke colonies of the 1580's, including the mysterious "Lost Colony," will resume later this year if plans now being made by archaeologists and historians are realized.

Feb. 7, First Colony Foundation, a non-profit incorporated in North Carolina in 2003, held an organizational meeting at the Sir Walter Raleigh Rooms at Wilson Library on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. An initial board of directors was formed and bylaws were adopted. The board discussed developing and securing funding for a multi-year archaeological and historical research program. The First Colony Foundation will hold its first annual meeting June 26, at the Elizabethan Gardens on Roanoke Island.

First Colony Foundation hopes to build on research performed by pioneer historical archaeologist Jean C. Harrington, surveys by National Park Service archaeologists John Ehrenhard and Lou Groh, and excavations by Ivor Noel Hume, former chief archaeologist of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. Harrington's excavations resulted in the reconstruction of an earthwork fort at the Fort Raleigh National Historic Site. In the 1990's Noel Hume and his team discovered the site of a science center, perhaps America's first, which was used by English scientist Thomas Hariot and European metallurgist Joachim Ganz during the period of the first Roanoke colony from 1585-1586. The discovery that both the fort and the science center have been found on the same site raises further questions about what really happened. No archaeological evidence of the town mentioned by first colonial governor Ralph Lane or the houses mentioned by John White, the second governor and grandfather of Virginia Dare, has yet been found. One of the primary objectives of First Colony Foundation is to search for this domestic side of the settlement.

The core research team consists of board members Dr. Eric Klingelhofer, Mr. Nicholas Luccketti, and Dr. Gordon Watts. Both Klingelhofer and Luccketti were part of the Noel Hume team in the 1990's.

Dr. Klingelhofer, a professor at Mercer University in Macon, Georgia, adds field research on sites associated with Sir Walter Raleigh in both Ireland and the Caribbean to his involvement with the excavations on Roanoke Island in the 1990's. Mr. Luccketti, principal archaeologist of the James River Institute for Archaeology in Williamsburg, Virginia, brings a reservoir of experience in excavation of early English colonial sites, including the rediscovery of the original 1607 settlement at Jamestown. Dr. Gordon Watts, a retired professor from East Carolina University and director of the International Institute for Maritime Research, adds an underwater dimension to the search for the first time.

Also on the initial board are William C. Friday, retired President of the University of North Carolina, William S. Powell, retired UNC professor of North Carolina history, Jon Kukla, director of the Patrick Henry Memorial Foundation in Brookneal, Va., Robert Davis of Washington, DC, Alastair MacDonald of Williamsburg, and Phillip Evans, former National Park Service ranger at Fort Raleigh, now of Durham.

The board voted noted Roanoke scholars David Stick and Ivor Noel Hume as honorary members.

The archaeological team is currently putting finishing touches on their research proposal for the first three seasons of fieldwork. Once this is completed, board members will work on securing funding and coordinating the research with the National Park Service and the State of North Carolina,

http://obsentinel.womacknewspapers.com/articles/2004/06/18/features/2roanoke.txt

At Roanoke, is the tree (or trees) where the word Croatoan was carved still in existance? Or did somebody at least cut it off the tree(s)?

Today, the north end of Roanoke Island is regularly visited by historians and archaeologists hoping to uncover new evidence as to the fate of the colony. So far, none has been forthcoming. The post and the tree bearing the carvings have long since vanished, although many of the live oaks in the National Historic Site were seedlings during the colonists tenure.

http://www.coastalguide.com/packet/lostcolony01.htm

Search for America's "Lost Colony" Gets New Boost

Search for America's "Lost Colony" Gets New Boost

Willie Drye in Manteo, North Carolina
for National Geographic News

October 13, 2005
On a recent rainy morning in Manteo, North Carolina, three veteran archaeologists sat down at a waterfront restaurant to discuss America's oldest mystery—the disappearance of England's first New World colony 415 years ago.

The archaeologists—Eric Klingelhoffer of Mercer University in Macon, Georgia; Nick Luccketti of the James River Institute in Williamsburg, Virginia; and Gordon Watts of the International Institute for Maritime Research in Washington, North Carolina—are planning a search for artifacts from the so-called Lost Colony.

The scientists' hopes have been stoked by recent research that turned up more than 200 possible artifact sites that could yield crucial clues.

The researchers have also reached a long-term agreement with the U.S. National Park Service to help with the hunt on park land, where the Lost Colony may be located.

It's only the latest boost in a search that has lasted some 400 years.

England's efforts to colonize the New World started in 1585 on Roanoke Island on the coast of what is now North Carolina. When ships carrying badly needed supplies from England reached Roanoke Island in 1590, they found the settlement abandoned and only a few inconclusive clues as to the fates of the colonists.

For four centuries, historians, archaeologists, writers, and tourists have visited the island to ponder this tantalizing, enduring mystery and the gap it has left in American history.

"It's like if we lost all the evidence of Neil Armstrong, and all the moon landings were just forgotten about, and 400 years later we had to figure it out," Klingelhoffer said. "This was the English beginning in the New World. We trace our origin to those folks standing on these sandy shores and wondering what to do."

Possible Sites

A lot has changed on Roanoke Island since the ill-fated colony vanished.

The town of Manteo has grown on the northern end of the island, where the colonists may have lived. And as much as one-half mile (0.8 kilometer) of the land where the colonists' village may have sat has been lost to erosion.

Watts, an underwater archaeologist, found about 230 possible artifact sites during a recent magnetometer survey of the waters just off Roanoke Island.

Watts and his divers intend to check all of the sites, but so far they haven't found anything from the 16th century. Still he's not discouraged.

"I don't think for a minute that all the evidence [from the English colonists] has been discovered," Watts said.

"It's here somewhere. If we're able to start and continue our effort annually, eliminate the possibilities one by one, it's inevitable that we're going to blunder into some evidence that puts us on the trail."

What Happened?

England actually made two failed attempts to plant a colony on Roanoke Island.

In July 1585 more than a hundred English settlers backed by Sir Walter Raleigh and Queen Elizabeth I launched the colonization effort. The first group included Thomas Hariot, a scientist who set up the New World's first scientific laboratory.

But relations soured with the Native Americans in the area, and when Sir Francis Drake's fleet arrived at Roanoke Island in the summer of 1586, the colonists decided to return to England with him.

A second colony of 116 people arrived at Roanoke Island in August 1587. This is the group that disappeared virtually without a trace.

Amateur and professional archaeologists have been searching for artifacts since the 17th century.

The Fort Raleigh National Historic Site now protects at least part of the area occupied by the colonists, and several professional excavations have been done in the park since the 1940s.

The earlier excavations uncovered artifacts undoubtedly left behind by the colonists, including the site of Hariot's laboratory.

But the site of the village—and conclusive evidence about the fate of the colonists—has eluded historians and archaeologists.

Race Against Time

In 1982 Phil Evans, a student working at the Fort Raleigh National Historic Site, found the remains of an old well thought to be from the 16th century. But Evans made the discovery in the waters of Roanoke Sound, an indication of possible erosion since the time of the colony.

Evans, now an attorney in Durham, North Carolina, helped establish the First Colony Foundation to raise money for renewed exploration and excavations on Roanoke Island. The foundation has made an agreement with the U.S. National Park Service to search for artifacts.

But the archaeologists are now racing against more than erosion. New upscale housing developments in Manteo are claiming more land.

"If [the village site] is not on Park Service land, the increased pressure of development is a serious threat," said Luccketti, the Virginia archaeologist. "We have to try to find [the village site] ahead of development."

Lost Colony

Ancient map gives clue to fate of 'Lost Colony'
A new look at a 425-year-old map has yielded a tantalising clue about the fate of the Lost Colony, the settlers who disappeared from Britain's Roanoke Island in the late 16th century.
7:52AM BST 04 May 2012

Experts from the First Colony Foundation and the British Museum in London discussed their findings Thursday at a scholarly meeting on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Their focus: the "Virginia Pars" map of Virginia and North Carolina created by explorer John White in the 1580s and owned by the British Museum since 1866.

"We believe that this evidence provides conclusive proof that they moved westward up the Albemarle Sound to the confluence of the Chowan and Roanoke rivers," said James Horn, vice president of research and historical interpretation at the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and author of a 2010 book about the Lost Colony.
"Their intention was to create a settlement. And this is what we believe we are looking at with this symbol – their clear intention, marked on the map ..."

Attached to the map are two patches. One patch appears to merely correct a mistake on the map, but the other – in what is modern-day Bertie County in northeastern North Carolina – hides what appears to be a fort. Another symbol, appearing to be the very faint image of a different kind of fort, is drawn on top of the patch.

The American and British scholars believe the fort symbol could indicate where the settlers went. The British researchers joined the Thursday meeting via webcast.
In a joint announcement, the museums said, "First Colony Foundation researchers believe that it could mark, literally and symbolically, 'the way to Jamestown.' As such, it is a unique discovery of the first importance."

White made the map and other drawings when he travelled to Roanoke Island in 1585 on an expedition commanded by Sir Ralph Lane. In 1587, a second colony of 116 English settlers landed on Roanoke Island, led by White. He left the island for England for more supplies but couldn't return again until 1590 because of the war between England and Spain.

When he came back, the colony was gone. White knew the majority had planned to move "50 miles into the marine," as he wrote, referring to the mainland. The only clue he found about the fate of the other two dozen was the word "CROATOAN" carved into a post, leading historians to believe they moved south to live with American Indians on what's now Hatteras Island.

But the discovery of the fort symbol offers the first new clue in centuries about what happened to the 95 or so settlers, experts said Thursday. And researchers at the British Museum discovered it because Brent Lane, a member of the board of the First Colony Foundation, asked a seemingly obvious question: What's under those two patches?

Researchers say the patches attached to White's excruciatingly accurate map were made with ink and paper contemporaneous with the rest of the map. One corrected mistakes on the shoreline of the Pamlico River and the placing of some villages. But the other covered the possible fort symbol, which is visible only when the map is viewed in a light box.

The map was critical to Sir Walter Raleigh's quest to attract investors in his second colony, Lane said. It was critical to his convincing Queen Elizabeth I to let him keep his charter to establish a colony in the New World. It was critical to the colonists who navigated small boats in rough waters.

So that made Lane wonder: "If this was such an accurate map and it was so critical to their mission, why in the world did it have patches on it? This important document was being shown to investors and royalty to document the success of this mission. And it had patches on it like a hand-me-down."

Researchers don't know why someone covered the symbol with a patch, although Horn said the two drawings could indicate the settlers planned to build more of a settlement than just a fort.

The land where archaeologists would need to dig eventually is privately owned, and some of it could be under a golf course and residential community. So excavating won't begin anytime soon. But it doesn't have to, said Nicholas Luccketti, a professional archaeologist in Virginia and North Carolina for more than 35 years.
Archaeologists must first re-examine ceramics, including some recovered from an area in Bertie County called Salmon Creek, he said.
"This clue is certainly the most significant in pointing where a search should continue," Lane said. "The search for the colonists didn't start this decade; it didn't start this century. It started as soon as they were found to be absent from Roanoke Island ... I would say every generation in the last 400 years has taken this search on."

But none have had today's sophisticated technology to help, he said.
"None of them had this clue on this map."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... olony.html

(I've corrected a formatting error on the webpage.)

Of all the supposedly useful messages they could have left, it had to be the deeply unhelpful CROATOAN. Could they not have given more detail on a bigger post? It's almost as if they wanted to disappear.

Review of "Roanoke: Search for the Lost Colony"
10/27/2015

Have you ever wondered what it would be like if the giant-hunting Vieira brothers remade an episode of America Unearthed virtually scene by scene? No? Tough luck. You’re getting it anyway.

When we last left Jim and Bill Vieira, they were hunting for giants on the History Channel series Search for the Lost Giants. That show was a ratings disaster, and the Vieira brothers displayed the kind of stilted delivery and anti-charisma that might have destroyed careers on network television. However, it is an iron law of cable TV that once a person has been granted a TV series, it becomes statistically impossible not to be given another show due to cable executives’ embrace of the sunk cost fallacy. Therefore, last night the Vieira brothers presented a 2-hour special about the Dare Stones, a 1930s hoax that claimed that the lost colonists of Roanoke decamped for Georgia. If there is one thing History loves more than recycling hosts, it’s recycling the same few subjects over and over again.

If all of this sounds familiar, it’s because H2’s America Unearthed did an episode on the Dare Stones a few seasons back, and I wrote about all of the reasons that the Dare Stones are obvious fakes back then. From my earlier review, here is the background on the Dare Stones:

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/review-of-roanoke-search-for-the-lost-colony

Review of "Return to Roanoke: Search for the Seven"
3/28/2017

In October of 2015, the History Channel broadcast a documentary in which Jim and Bill Vieira, who came to prominence on the channel in a series documenting their fruitless search for Nephilim-giants, evaluated whether the so-called Dare Stones were genuine artifacts of the Roanoke colonists’ dramatic flight from a bloodthirsty tribe of Native Americans as they escaped into the heart of Georgia. In that show, the brothers concluded that the Dare Stones were forgeries, though they held out hope that the first stone uncovered near Edenton, NC in 1937 was the one and only genuine Dare Stone, carved by the hand of Eleanor Dare herself. That was eighteen months ago.

Return to Roanoke: Search for the Seven tells us in its own narration that the show was meant to air one year after the October 2015 Roanoke: Search for the Lost Colony to which it is a sequel. You would think that History would have aired it last fall, when American Horror Story: Roanoke had made the lost colony a pop culture phenomenon again for a couple of months. Why it was delayed six months and dumped on a spring Sunday with little promotion I could only speculate. Perhaps part of the issue is that the documentary is by turns dull and confounding, and its dramatic “revelation” in the last two minutes is, at best, underwhelming and at worst deceptive.

This documentary doesn’t make much sense unless you watched the 2015 show it builds upon. To that end, you should read my review of that older show before reading this one since I don’t feel like repeating myself nearly as much as this show repeated the previous one. If you did not see that show, you were likely baffled and dumbfounded by what was going on for most of the run time. The show was apparently filmed in spring or summer of 2016 and kept on a shelf for nine months or so. I will confess to remembering little of the first show, and I needed to read my own review to remember it, so dull was it. ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/review-of-return-to-roanoke-search-for-the-seven

The dig at Hatteras Island:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ony-roanoke-hatteras-outer-banks-archaeology/

The Archaeology site dedicated to Hatteras has also gone quite for a year:

http://www.cashatteras.com/Products.html

Anyone on Facebook? This appears more active:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/dighatteras/about/?ref=page_internal

It was lead by British Archaeologist and TV presenter Mark Horton:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Horton_(archaeologist)

work was carried out by supervised local school kids:

http://www.cashatteras.com/CAS-CHSS-Project.html

All in all sees like wishful thinking without too much solid evidence:

evidence. https://indiancountrymedianetwork.c...ood-between-croatan-tribe-and-lost-colonists/

This sums it up well:

http://www.coastalreview.org/2016/05/14460/

Horton seems to be losing some credibility here. Finding a few artifacts hardly makes a joint Native/Roanoke European settlement on Hatteras fact and does not solve the mystery.

Of course if he can swing it then there's a big book/TV deal in there.

Mark get yourself off the telly and get your bloody trowel out!

What I don't understand about the Hatteras theory is that if say a 100 Europeans survived to live there. Why there was never any mention of it?

By 1650 some 70 years after the disappearance of the Lost Colony, Europeans where not uncommon around the area. Even taking in infectious diseases there was still around 90 Native Americans living on the Island in 1709.

So nothing was mentioned by the Native Americans or the remnants of Roanoke?

Interesting Manteo the "rock star" leader of Croatoans vanished from the history books at the same time of the Lost Colony after falling out with Wanchese of the Roanoke Tribe. Wanchese wanted to oppose the Europeans whereas Manteo did not.

Did the Roanoke tribe wipe them out?

https://sites.google.com/site/disappearanceofroanoke/home/native-americans

No references for this - sorry.

This fleshes out the assimilation with local tribes theory:

http://www.lost-colony.com/magazineNP.html

Based on John Lawson who reckoned he knew of Native Indians who spoke and wrote English with Grey and Blue eyes in 1700.

Here's his book, not had a chance to read it yet.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1838/1838-h/1838-h.htm

A re-evaluation of the 'Kendall Ring' artifact, which may or may not be significant ...

The Mystery of Roanoke Endures Yet Another Cruel Twist
An artifact found 20 years ago turns out to not be what archaeologists thought

It seemed too good to be true. And it was.

Nearly 20 years ago, excavators digging on North Carolina’s remote Hatteras Island uncovered a worn ring emblazoned with a prancing lion. A local jeweler declared it gold—but it came to be seen as more than mere buried treasure when a British heraldry expert linked it to the Kendall family involved in the 1580s Roanoke voyages organized by Sir Walter Raleigh during Elizabeth I’s reign.

The 1998 discovery electrified archaeologists and historians. The artifact seemed a rare remnant of the first English attempt to settle the New World that might also shed light on what happened to 115 men, women, and children who settled the coast, only to vanish in what became known as the Lost Colony of Roanoke.

Now it turns out that researchers had it wrong from the start.

A team led by archaeologist Charles Ewen recently subjected the ring to a lab test at East Carolina University. The X-ray fluorescence device, shaped like a cross between a ray gun and a hair dryer, reveals an object’s precise elemental composition without destroying any part of it. Ewen was stunned when he saw the results.

“It’s all brass,” he said. “There’s no gold at all.” ...

FULL STORY: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/mystery-roanoke-endures-yet-another-cruel-twist-180962837/

Some researchers believe at least a portion of the Lost Colony settlers moved westward to the mainland and occupied a site in what is now Bertie County. This is claimed to have been in addition to however many may have migrated south to what is now Hatteras Island. Here's an update on the digs and acquisition of property at the Bertie County site.

Land deal will preserve site linked to Lost Colony mystery
Efforts to unravel the mysterious fate of North Carolina's fabled Lost Colony could benefit after a preservation group took out its first-ever loan to buy a coastal tract where some colonists may have resettled hundreds of years ago. ...

The 1,000-acre property is so special historically and ecologically that the North Carolina Coastal Land Trust decided to take a risk and borrow $5.3 million for a real estate deal, said Lee Leidy, attorney and Northeast Region director for the trust. It's the first time in 26 years that the trust has done so. The trust plans to turn the property over to the state, eventually, preserving it for future study.

"It was a veritable time capsule of important historical events," Leidy said.

In addition to being the place where historians now believe some of the colonists resettled, the land in rural Bertie County has been home to an Indian village and to the plantation of Gov. Thomas Pollock, who served two stints as governor in the early 1700s. The land, which includes 3.5 miles along Salmon Creek, is important ecologically, with flood plain forests of cypress-gum swamp and bottomland hardwood forest. ...

The nonprofit trust, which has preserved almost 70,000 undeveloped acres since 1992, purchased the land last year and plans to pay off the loans with money from grants. While there's no specific timetable for turning the property over to the state, an official from the N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation will visit the site May 14, Leidy said. ...

Archaeologists now believe that some found their way to the land in Bertie County. The possibility first came to light in 2012, when researchers at the British Museum in London announced they had found a drawing of a fort that had been obscured under a patch on a map of Virginia and North Carolina drawn by White in the 1580s.

The drawing placed the fort in an area of Bertie County where archaeologists have found colonial-era English pottery and signs of a Native American village. ...

Luccketti and Evans believe perhaps up to 12 members of the Lost Colony settled on Site X, possibly as a watch party for incoming friendly or enemy ships. The remains of other small settlements or a single large one could be located nearby in areas where they haven't dug, they said. ...

FULL STORY: http://www.wpta21.com/story/38064902/land-deal-will-preserve-site-linked-to-lost-colony-mystery

Did an entire Canadian village disappear in 1930?

Did an entire Canadian village disappear in 1930?

I wonder if anyone can verify whether the population of an Eskimo village by Lake Anjikuma disappeared without trace in November 1930? I orginally came
across the story in one of those cheap mysteries books which tend to sensationalise such mysteries. However, some research on the Internet did reveal a few sites with information on the supposed event. A trapper
called Joe Labelle stumbled upon the village & could not find a living soul. It has all the trappings of a classic "Marie Celeste"-type mystery with everything
left as if everyone had suddenly walked off, e.g. cooking pots burnt black. Even the dead were supposedly ripped from their burial ground. And to round it off a cigar-shaped UFO was seen beforehand & an eerie glowing light (not the Northern Lights) was seen by Mounties searching for the villagers. I have
grave doubts about this story as it does not appear to be more well-known.

Mike Palmer
Something I wrote in 2011 on anther website. It is still my view of the matter.

Here is another example of failing to check things out, this time by believers in the occult and the paranormal: the story goes that in November of 1931, a fur trapper in Canada's Northwest Territories, was near an Eskimo village of about 2000 souls, and since he knew the inhabitants, he decided to stop and visit. He found the entire village deserted and indications were that they had left quite suddenly. Meals were left half-eaten, and the men's rifles (their most valued possessions) were left behind as well. The trapper contacted the RCMP and they came to investigate but could find no cause for the disappearance. The story dominated the world press for weeks at the time, and then was displaced by other news. The disappearances were never solved.

This story is repeated as the Gospel truth on various occult and paranormal websites and speculation abounds as to what caused the disappearances.

The only problem is that the story was a complete fabrication. I checked with the RCMP, and their historian was kind enough to say that the RCMP had no record of any such occurance. Others I have written to have said that they were acquainted with bush pilots in the region and the pilots have no information or any camp-fire tales on any such thing. Likewise, a search of newspapers for the time-frame failed to turn up anything on the story in spite of the alleged attention that it received from the world press. Google searches fail utterly to turn up any references to the story except for paranormal and similar websites.

Yet the story gets repeated on occult and paranormal websites in spite of there being no supporting evidence, much like (forgive me here!!) alleged government wrong-doing does on preparation and patriot websites, and for the same basic reason: some people just want to believe this stuff.

A new hunt for The Lost Colony but time is short:

All the scientists, however, concur that today's rising seas are swiftly wearing away Roanoke's northern end. Klingelhofer feels urgency to locate the town "before coastal erosion removes all traces." But if history has anything to teach, it is that Roanoke will not readily reveal its secrets.

Archaeologists start a new hunt for the fabled Lost Colony of the New World
By Andrew LawlerJun. 6, 2018 , 11:50 AM

ROANOKE ISLAND IN NORTH CAROLINA—In 1587, more than 100 men, women, and children settled on Roanoke Island in what is now North Carolina. War with Spain prevented speedy resupply of the colony—the first English settlement in the New World, backed by Elizabethan courtier Sir Walter Raleigh. When a rescue mission arrived 3 years later, the town was abandoned and the colonists had vanished.

What is commonly called the Lost Colony has captured the imagination of generations of professional and amateur sleuths, but the colonists' fate is not the only mystery. Despite more than a century of digging, no trace has been found of the colonists' town—only the remains of a small workshop and an earthen fort that may have been built later, according to a study to be published this year. Now, after a long hiatus, archaeologists plan to resume digging this fall. "I firmly believe that our program of re-excavation will provide answers to the vexing questions that past fieldwork has left us," says archaeologist Eric Klingelhofer, vice president for research at the nonprofit First Colony Foundation in Durham, North Carolina.

The first colonists arrived in 1585, when a voyage from England landed more than 100 men here, among them a science team including Joachim Gans, a metallurgist from Prague and the first known practicing Jew in the Americas. ...

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...ly_2018-06-06&et_rid=394299689&et_cid=2099238

Meanwhile ... Annual excavations on Hatteras Island have yielded evidence that a substantial contingent - if not all - the surviving Roanoke Colony members migrated to Hatteras Island and co-existed (and possibly merged with ... ) the friendly Native Americans there. A new book has been published on their work and results.
Lost Colony of Roanoke found: groundbreaking evidence released in new book

... The Roanoke colonists left a clue, the word “Croatoan” carved into a wooden post. The Croatoans were a friendly tribe residing on Hatteras Island. They were also the home tribe of Manteo, a Native American who learned English and acted as an interpreter.

Scott Dawson, a native of Hatteras island and hobby archaeologist, grew up hearing the stories. ...

Dawson created the Croatoan Archaeological Society. He wanted to see if they could find the colonists on Hatteras, where they all but said they were going, and where no one has really looked for them — until now.

“The colony doesn’t know they’re lost. In their mind someone is coming back with resupplies,” he said.

Dawson reached out to experts for help. His mission sparked the interest of a well-established British archaeologist, Professor Mark Horton from the University of Bristol.

“I think it’s a really interesting point. you know. Why are a bunch of Brits working on the site in North Carolina? I suppose the answer is it’s our history and heritage as much as it is yours. It’s part of that shared story,” explained Horton. “I’ve been excavating 16th-century sites in England for a very long time and thought, well, maybe I could bring a new perspective on this problem because we know what this stuff actually looks like.”

They began digging in 2009 and have returned every year since.

The team consists of local volunteers to world-renowned specialists in a variety of fields. ...

Under layers of dirt, the team found what they came for: 16th-century English items. They found copper rings, sword handles, earrings, a Nuremberg token, writing slates, glass. The only logical explanation is they had to come from the Lost Colony.

The female items are particularly telling. The 1587 colony was the only one to bring English women.

There is evidence to support other theories. Horton says there might not be just one answer to their fate.

“When these colonies become abandoned, you get massive political eruptions and disagreements and people walking out and things,” said Horton. “So it’s not unlikely that one group might have gone up the Chesapeake, up the Albemarle. But I’m pretty confident one group at least, probably the pretty substantial part, came out to Hatteras Island.”

Horton argues it also makes a lot of sense for the colonists to have gone to Hatteras.

“To go out to the point of the Outer Banks where you can see vessels passing by most easily,” continued Horton. “We know that the Native American communities there were friendly. It was a good place with one’s allies in a place where you could potentially be rescued.”

Dawson says they believe they’ve now located the “survivor’s camp” where the colonists would have set up when they first arrived to Hatteras from Roanoke, before they eventually integrated with the Croatoans. The team was supposed to excavate the site this spring, but the coronavirus pushed the work back to 2021. ...

Dawson compiled all their findings over the past decade into a book, “The Lost Colony and Hatteras Island.” The book was launched this past Monday. The book doesn’t just cover the Lost Colony but includes all the Native American-related discoveries as well. Native Americans have inhabited the island for thousands of years. ...

“I think it’s almost a duty to learn about it. This is the birth of America. This is the real story.”

FULL STORY: https://www.wavy.com/news/north-car...groundbreaking-evidence-released-in-new-book/

The "Roanoke assimilation" explanation was the usual one, wasn't it? Not sure this is a new theory.

I've not heard of the Roanoke but the word 'Croatoan' carved into a tree rings a bell. It was mentioned several times in Haven, a five series prog on the SyFy channel that was based on a book 'The Colorado Kid' by Stephen King. I don't know how close the series was to the book because I cannot find a copy in English. Doubt it adds anything to the Roanoke story but at least it shows King knew about it.

https://havenmaine.fandom.com/wiki/Croatoan

The "Roanoke assimilation" explanation was the usual one, wasn't it? Not sure this is a new theory.

It's the most obvious one - seeing as how they carved "CROATOAN" on a tree as a clue.

Curiously (as the story I posted today indicates) it's the one theory nobody invested much effort in exploring. I suppose the cynical interpretation is that this would require prioritizing searching for Native American evidence, and this wasn't as attractive a proposition as looking for direct evidence of the missing colonists.

The English colonists who settled the so-called Lost Colony before disappearing from history simply went to live with their native friends — the Croatoans of Hatteras, according to a new book.

O5UYZLCU5ZGO5GQQGK63Z3Z6HU.jpg

A piece of writing tablet from the 1500s indicates English settlers assimilated with the natives. The lead tablet has impressions on it that show an Englishman shooting a Secotan Indian chief

“They were never lost,” said Scott Dawson, who has researched records and dug up artifacts where the colonists lived with the Indians in the 16th century. “It was made up. The mystery is over.”

A team of archaeologists, historians, botanists, geologists and others have conducted digs on small plots in Buxton and Frisco for 11 years.
Dawson and his wife, Maggie, formed the Croatoan Archaeological Society when the digs began. Mark Horton, a professor and archaeologist from England’s University of Bristol leads the project. Henry Wright, professor of anthropology at the University of Michigan, is an expert on native history.

Teams have found thousands of artifacts 4-6 feet below the surface that show a mix of English and Indian life. Parts of swords and guns are in the same layer of soil as Indian pottery and arrowheads.

The Lost Colony stemmed from an 1587 expedition. Just weeks after arriving, White had to leave the group of settlers — including his daughter, Eleanor Dare, and newborn granddaughter, Virginia — to get more supplies from England. White was not able to return for three years. When he arrived at Roanoke Island in 1590 he found “CROATOAN” carved on a post and “cro” on a tree.

White later wrote of finding the writing on the post, “I greatly joyed that I had found a certain token of their being at Croatoan....”

A bad storm and a near mutiny kept White from reaching Hatteras. He returned to England without ever seeing his colony again.

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/vp-nw-not-lost-20200817-qgmblubzt5dyjm3jrcop25ssoq-story.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony#Lost_Colony

maximus otter

The English colonists who settled the so-called Lost Colony before disappearing from history simply went to live with their native friends — the Croatoans of Hatteras, according to a new book.

O5UYZLCU5ZGO5GQQGK63Z3Z6HU.jpg

A piece of writing tablet from the 1500s indicates English settlers assimilated with the natives. The lead tablet has impressions on it that show an Englishman shooting a Secotan Indian chief

“They were never lost,” said Scott Dawson, who has researched records and dug up artifacts where the colonists lived with the Indians in the 16th century. “It was made up. The mystery is over.”

A team of archaeologists, historians, botanists, geologists and others have conducted digs on small plots in Buxton and Frisco for 11 years.
Dawson and his wife, Maggie, formed the Croatoan Archaeological Society when the digs began. Mark Horton, a professor and archaeologist from England’s University of Bristol leads the project. Henry Wright, professor of anthropology at the University of Michigan, is an expert on native history.

Teams have found thousands of artifacts 4-6 feet below the surface that show a mix of English and Indian life. Parts of swords and guns are in the same layer of soil as Indian pottery and arrowheads.

The Lost Colony stemmed from an 1587 expedition. Just weeks after arriving, White had to leave the group of settlers — including his daughter, Eleanor Dare, and newborn granddaughter, Virginia — to get more supplies from England. White was not able to return for three years. When he arrived at Roanoke Island in 1590 he found “CROATOAN” carved on a post and “cro” on a tree.

White later wrote of finding the writing on the post, “I greatly joyed that I had found a certain token of their being at Croatoan....”

A bad storm and a near mutiny kept White from reaching Hatteras. He returned to England without ever seeing his colony again.

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/vp-nw-not-lost-20200817-qgmblubzt5dyjm3jrcop25ssoq-story.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony#Lost_Colony

maximus otter
Fascinating!!

Shhh - don't tell the people in Jamestown or Plymouth, they never like to hear they weren't the first English settlers! :cool2:

Back