• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Large Snakes

Yeah! I'd like to see an anaconda swallow Bono and Geldof.

Wow ... Here's one for the Irony thread ...

An Irishman wishing for a giant snake to swallow two fellow Irishmen, and expressing this on 17 March - the day Irish folks and fans around the world celebrate the patron saint famous for eliminating all the snakes in Éire. :thought:

:evillaugh:

Wow ... Here's one for the Irony thread ...

An Irishman wishing for a giant snake to swallow two fellow Irishmen, and expressing this on 17 March - the day Irish folks and fans around the world celebrate the patron saint famous for eliminating all the snakes in Éire. :thought:

:evillaugh:
The irony, hehe.

Yeah! I'd like to see an anaconda swallow Bono and Geldof.

Bono should be eaten by a giant snake, yes I fully agree but not Bob, he has made some great music over the years and should be kept away from snakes just in case he ever gets round to making some more.

Although judging by The Great Song of Indifference he probably wouldn't care too much about being eaten.

A big one caught in Queensland...

snake.jpg

Five-metre albino Burmese python caught on 'little old lady's' doorstep on Gold Coast
A five-metre exotic snake found on the Gold Coast is likely to have been imported illegally to Australia, according to a snake catcher.

Tony Harrison was on Monday called to a house in Oxenford, where the 80-kilogram albino Burmese python had slithered onto a woman's doorstep.

"This poor little old lady answered the front door of her house and there's this snake sitting on her doorstep," he said.

"There is a black market here in Australia; lots of people breed and sell stuff that's not supposed to be here.​
"I'd say that somebody's just had it for a pet for years and it's just pushed its way out of its enclosure."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...tep-on-gold-coast/ar-BB11yYqA?ocid=spartandhp

Oh dear, it's really disappointing that a body like National Geographic uses the term "poisonous" rather than "venomous". What hope of educating anyone, if they can't get the basics right?
To most either word gets the point across, w/o hangups on details. I.e.: If it was stated that a poisonous snake, scorpion or whatever was ready to strike I wouldn't care which word was used. But hey I was an engineer not a linguist.

This report is 18 months old, but gives you an idea of the number of Burmese pythons & the sizes of them inhabiting the Everglades ecosystem of Florida.

The numbers are in for Florida’s python elimination program and they are ridicules. The state hired hunters to go into swamps and remove the unwanted snakes. After they tallied up all the inches and pounds the final numbers were astounding.

According to News Channel 4 out of Jacksonville, hunters killed over two miles worth of snakes with a weight approximately 10.4 tons. In total, 1,711 snakes have been captured during the program which is attempting to get rid of Burmese pythons that continue to do severe damage to the Everglades ecosystem.

Hunters were paid $50 a snake and $25 dollar bonus per foot for snakes over 4 feet. So an 8 ft snake would be worth $150 bucks. Also, a snake found guarding a nest with eggs is worth an additional $100.

https://thehuntingnews.com/numbers-...RSEZPdGfoBgleqo8LcnOcuuFIDiRjICrfVQh5Q81a444Q

To most either word gets the point across, w/o hangups on details. I.e.: If it was stated that a poisonous snake, scorpion or whatever was ready to strike I wouldn't care which word was used. But hey I was an engineer not a linguist.

Although I'm an enthusiast for "good" English myself, I agree with you. The distinction between poisonous (don't eat it) and "venomous" (don't let it inject you with venom) is important in some contexts, although the distinction between the two words is not widely known.

In the case of snakes, most of us are unlikely to consider eating one, but would try quite hard to avoid being bitten by one. Therefore we can understand the meaning from context.

However, it is possible to imagine a non-venomous snake that would be poisonous if you ate it. I don't know if such a species exists.

... However, it is possible to imagine a non-venomous snake that would be poisonous if you ate it. I don't know if such a species exists.

There's at least one snake species that's both venomous and poisonous - Rhabdophis tigrinus formosanus (aka Asian tiger snake).

It's a venomous predator that dines on toads which are themselves venomous and / or poisonous (I'm unclear about the toads).

Toxins from the toads are sequestered in special glands from which the snake can issue them as surface tissue poisons / irritants if threatened.

https://www.snakesoftaiwan.com/Rhabdophis tigrinus formosanus/species_rhabdophis_tigrinus.htm

Mr Biffo, aka Paul Rose gives us part one of his recollections in taking part in the toughest CFZ expedition to date.

Nice big scorpion, yikes. Although they say the smaller the scorpion the more potent the venom,since it can't rely on large pincers to obtain prey.
More potent venom is usually packed by scorpions with smaller pincers.

Back