• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Large Snakes

Lovelorn snakes.

A man in Australia got a shock when he returned home to find two snakes had crashed through his ceiling and were slithering around his Queensland house.

David Tate found one snake in his bedroom and another in the living room on Monday. They weighed 22kg (3.4 stone) between them.
Snake catcher Steven Brown said they were of "exceptional size".

It's thought the two male snakes could have been fighting over a female snake which has not yet been located.
The carpet pythons measured 2.8m (9.1 feet) and 2.5m long.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-53985287

Florida never continues to surprise...

python.jpg

Hunters bag record-breaking python in Florida Everglades
Two Florida hunters set a new record when they caught a Burmese python that measured a whopping 18 feet, 8.8 inches (5.71 meters), authorities in the southern state said Friday, as they encourage more people to eliminate the invasive species.
The Burmese python was captured 40 miles (60 kilometers) west of Miami and weighed in at 103 pounds (47 kilograms), the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said.

"That's a new record!" the agency said in a statement accompanied by a picture of hunters Ryan Ausburn and Kevin Pavlidis, posing at either end of the monster serpent, stretched across a country road.

"The removal of this female snake is a triumph for our native wildlife and habitats," the commission said.

The previous record for the invasive species was 18 feet and 7.6 inches, captured in 2013.

A native of southeast Asia, the constrictors were probably introduced to Florida as exotic pets toward the end of the last century and released into the Everglades, vast wetlands that occupy much of the southern part of the state.
https://phys.org/news/2020-10-hunters-bag-record-breaking-python-florida.html

The other day I saw a snake?Well thats not unusual,snakes are a common place item here,we cope with red belly blacks,taipans,western browns,bandi/bandis,black snakes and the usual tree snakes.I walk around with a length of chain attached to a wooden handle mainly for the taipans as they are so aggressive(here have this to play with).Getting back to the story this black snake 12 feet long (thats nearly 2 of me)as wide as the calf of my leg was lying near the back fence,talk about doing a Harold Holt (bolt).This is the biggest black snake Ive ever seen.My neighbour across the road has trouble with scrub pythons some as long as 30 feet attacking his chooks.Whats the biggest snake any one else has seen?????
30' is surprisingly long, for that matter even 20' a giant. To date only one snake has ever been accurately measured at 30+ that was > 100 years ago on Sulawesi. Here an interesting read on a giant python swallowing a girl and referring to the only confirmed python > 30"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39427462

If this has already been discussed, I have not been able to find it using the search function. (I searched for "Van Lierde" and "Katanga".)

Colonel Remy Van Lierde, a Belgian wartime flying ace who, in 1959 allegedly encountered a giant snake and circled it while his companion took photos.

I have searched for the photo online and mainly found links to the single photo I have included. I must say it doesn't look awfully convincing to me.

I would have thought that this report and photo would at least have attracted as much Fortean attention as say the surgeon's photo of Nessie.

main-qimg-cc04da927c4ea21b687af1480095c92e.jpeg

Two links below, and the following is an extract from one of them:

<<On the episode of Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious World entitled "Dragons, Dinosaurs and Giant Snakes", Van Lierde claims that in 1959 he encountered a giant snake in the Katanga region of the Belgian Congo while returning from a mission by helicopter. He claims to have then turned around and made several passes over the snake in order to allow another person on board to photograph the creature.

Van Lierde describes the snake as being close to 50 feet in length. He claims it was a dark shade of brown and green with a white coloured belly. He claimed the snake's head was 3 feet wide, and that the jaws were of a triangular shape.

Van Lierde claims that as he flew lower for a closer inspection, the snake rose up approximately 10 feet, giving the impression it would have attacked the helicopter if it had been within striking range.>>

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Remy_Van_Lierde

https://reaction.life/the-katanga-snake-brilliant-hoax-or-beguiling-horror/

I remember that snake photo! I thought it was really convincing at the time, but looking at that there's nothing to suggest scale, is there? Could be a couple of feet long, really.

But, it is covered with scales!
Unless you mean the photographer should have been paid scale.
Or that the snake didn't scale the helicopter?

Scottish weather kills snake.

A giant snake discovered on a street in Inverclyde has died.

The 14ft (4.26m) python was found by a member of the public in Greenock's Drumfrochar Road on Tuesday. Police were alerted and it was taken to a local vet but later died as a result of spending too long in freezing temperatures. Officers said the owner of the snake had been traced and inquiries were ongoing.

Beverley Naismith, of the Abbey Veterinary Group, which looked after the snake, told BBC Scotland:

"Snakes of this type are generally more suited to temperatures found in South East Asia. They thrive in water and marshland but unfortunately the freezing conditions found on the hills around Greenock are far from ideal. At the temperatures we are seeing in the west coast of Scotland they are unfortunately not likely to survive for more than a few hours. It is a shame as these snakes, whilst can be very large, can make very docile and good pets, but only if looked after appropriately."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-55912864

Scottish weather kills snake.

A giant snake discovered on a street in Inverclyde has died.

The 14ft (4.26m) python was found by a member of the public in Greenock's Drumfrochar Road on Tuesday. Police were alerted and it was taken to a local vet but later died as a result of spending too long in freezing temperatures. Officers said the owner of the snake had been traced and inquiries were ongoing.

Beverley Naismith, of the Abbey Veterinary Group, which looked after the snake, told BBC Scotland:

"Snakes of this type are generally more suited to temperatures found in South East Asia. They thrive in water and marshland but unfortunately the freezing conditions found on the hills around Greenock are far from ideal. At the temperatures we are seeing in the west coast of Scotland they are unfortunately not likely to survive for more than a few hours. It is a shame as these snakes, whilst can be very large, can make very docile and good pets, but only if looked after appropriately."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-55912864
That's so sad :(

I wish people weren’t allowed to keep animals like this. I know there would still be a black market for them though.
Yeah the moment you say no to something then you just end up driving it under ground unfortunately :(

I love snakes. My friend had 2 little grass snakes. They actually felt like stroking those grass arrows we used throw at people at school. They were like puppies and followed him everywhere. My uncles friend back in the 80's had a python and a tarantula. I held them both. The python was much easier to stroke. ;)

I love snakes. My friend had 2 little grass snakes. They actually felt like stroking those grass arrows we used throw at people at school. They were like puppies and followed him everywhere. My uncles friend back in the 80's had a python and a tarantula. I held them both. The python was much easier to stroke. ;)
I use to have 2 imperial scorpians, a honduras curley haired tarantula, a chile rose tarantula, 2 fire salamanders, a chinchilla, a cat and a sand boa, the tarantulas were not good for stroking as the hairs on their abdomens are irritants, the chinchilla was a source of constant amusement as the cat and it would chase each other around the flat, the guidance on handling scorpians read simply, 'DO NOT HANDLE SCORPIANS!', I didnt handle the salamanders as their skin is susseptable to the acids in our hands, but my sand boa at only 7 inches long was very friendly and happy to be handled, it would love to wrap itseft around my fingers and slide around and in between them.

A few obvious fakes just for laughs.

It was courageous of "Africa's Royal British Commandos" to go all the way to Africa's Amazon (less well known than the South American river of the same name) to kill a giant specimen of a species only found in South America. They were fortunate that someone had kept a precise record of the 2,325 animals it had eaten.

It's a pity that these small points cast doubt on some otherwise entirely convincing photos: especially the one of it hovering a foot or two above the grass.:hahazebs::hahazebs:

I use to have 2 imperial scorpians, a honduras curley haired tarantula, a chile rose tarantula, 2 fire salamanders, a chinchilla, a cat and a sand boa, the tarantulas were not good for stroking as the hairs on their abdomens are irritants, the chinchilla was a source of constant amusement as the cat and it would chase each other around the flat, the guidance on handling scorpians read simply, 'DO NOT HANDLE SCORPIANS!', I didnt handle the salamanders as their skin is susseptable to the acids in our hands, but my sand boa at only 7 inches long was very friendly and happy to be handled, it would love to wrap itseft around my fingers and slide around and in between them.
Thats really sweet, you had a lot of animals.

Back