• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Latest Reports Of UFO Sightings

A lot of questions are begged.
I know nothing of video technology, but if zooming on a star/planet creates this sort of visual effect then why aren't there a plethora of such shots (or are there?) Also is the guy a complete nincompoop who doesn't know what his camera can do - or is it a conscious jolly jape on his part?

I used to think Venus as an explanation of some UFO accounts to be very lame - until that is I once saw Venus in a clear early evening summers sky in a rural part of the south of France. Under the right conditions Venus can appear much bigger, brighter and more spectacular than those of us in the more northerly, and/or light polluted regions, get to see. I do, however, find it hard to believe that a New Yorker would be nonplussed by seeing Venus out of his bedroom window - unless the object really did look stranger than just a very bright and prominent star!

As regards biological UFOs: it seems to me that any civilisation capable of creating something which many UFO reports suggest (in terms of their movements and speed) would also be one in which there is considerable interface between biology and technology - almost to the point where the distinction between the two has become blurred. Thus the UFOs would be neither machine nor animal, but specially bred cyborgs that had elements of both, and which would interact directly with their occupants (if indeed, it would need any).

This idea, after all, does appear in our own science fiction. see Vonda McIntyre's Superluminal, for example. From memory there was also a Pertwee era WHO episode (`Ambassadors of Death -?) in which the aliens pilot a large vegetable like craft. Likewise the underrated Earth: final conflict had the Taelons growing their own crystalline intelligent spacecraft.

But I digress, and suspect that Rynner's right. Either that New Yorker was a bit of a dumbo...or thinks that we must be.

There are quite a few videos of Venus that are presented as UFOs; I've seen examples from Mexico and India, as well as closer to home.

A butterfly shaped craft filmed recently in Ohio. Some kind of drone? Batman? Or just CGI? I'm a tad suspicious cause it somehow looks a bit superimposed to me. I don't know enough about the technical stuff to say quite why.

Allegedly it was followed by two military helicopters, but those weren't filmed.

I reckon it's a drone.

The witnesses said it was followed by military aircraft but I didn't see any.
{EDIT: They followed later}
The wings of the butterfly look like the two propeller housings squared of.

That said...if it's real or hoax...I applaud the designer for coming out with an original UFO shape. Very nice.

The triangular cloud footage is quite cool as well.

I wouldn't be so sure it's not made on Earth. If there was helicopters nearby, it might be because of a test flight.

The design reminded me somewhat of a manta ray, minus the tail.

A butterfly shaped craft filmed recently in Ohio. Some kind of drone? Batman? Or just CGI? I'm a tad suspicious cause it somehow looks a bit superimposed to me. I don't know enough about the technical stuff to say quite why.

Allegedly it was followed by two military helicopters, but those weren't filmed.

So they filmed it twice, once in a blue/purple sky and once in an orange sky? Both times flying in a straight line the same direction and at the same distance? And the camera, which is aimed at the object (and thus set for infinite focal distance because nothing else is remotely in frame), suddenly and repeatedly goes blurry (focal length changes)?

That BW pic. Considering the artefacts going on in the background, the edges look suspiciously crisp.

I'm on my knees praying that this won't turn out to be yet - yet another fiendish CGI set up, hatched by some wannabe games graphic artist looking for something to put in his portfolio.
Just a few random responses:

* The motion of the thing suggested to me something that was gliding on the air rather than self-propelled. I thought of a handglider, at first.

* It doesn't put me in mind of a butterfly but something more like a bat, or indeed a manta ray as suggested above. Something biological anyway.This is not a classic UFO shape (except insofar as it is broadly delta shaped) but there have been other reports that tally with this. Some of the Phoenix Mountain lights from March 1997 fit this general description. Also I'm sure i've heard the word `Manta ray` used before somewhere with regard to UFO descriptions.

*Why should it be a drone? Drones are small and are either quadcopters or look like mini-planes. If it's a drone, then what sort of drone would it be - and what would it be used for?

*There are two shots of the object moving away from us, and then one still shot of what appears to be the underside of the object. The province of this shot, and the discrepancy between this and the moving image is not explained by the narrator (or not that I caught, anyway). Hmmm....

*If the still shot of the underbelly is indeed of the same object, the the narrator is right to insist that this is (probably) not a terrestrial craft. The lights or markings look distinctly unusual in that they serve no obvious purpose.

* I didn't see anything that would suggest that it's a CGI - however, I'm computer graphics illiterate and have been shown to be wrong before. All I'll say is that if it's not CGI then it's something quite exotic.

Does anyone know anything about security.com who have posted this?(I couldn't find much out about them - which implies they are not all that big, or are new). Do they have a history of BS? The narrator sounded sincere enough, and even quite likeable - but of course this fact signifies very little.

I want to believe, but don't need to believe - and await further input.

Does anyone know anything about security.com who have posted this?(I couldn't find much out about them - which implies they are not all that big, or are new). Do they have a history of BS?
SecureTeam? Yes to that last question.

The story is a little odd. Why would you try to take pictures of a bridge at night through the window of a moving car? Also where is the bridge? Without it in the shot there's no hope of judging the size of the UFO. It looks a bit like a gold ring to me.

The story is a little odd. Why would you try to take pictures of a bridge at night through the window of a moving car? Also where is the bridge? Without it in the shot there's no hope of judging the size of the UFO. It looks a bit like a gold ring to me.
Or a segmented glow-worm of some kind. Or maybe some security or warning light on the bridge itself.

Doesn't look at all saucery. And if the witness managed to lose his other photos, I'm not going to worry about it.

Coal said: "I'm getting web-page unavailable for that link"
Funnily enough, the page opened in TWO tabs on my computer. I must have got Coal's version as well as my own! :p

What do we make of this recently-posted UFO video from the USA?

Yes...apparently just posted yesterday, and over 2million views.

No, you're welcome.

BUT: surely this is just far too good? Not in a techie, evidently CGI way. It's just fascinating to watch...and to wonder if it's real.

Has anyone got any first impressions? I don't like the first-person intro start. But the alleged sky video footage was impressive....hmmmm

I'm interested in these rocket sightings. We've had rockets/missiles for a long time now. Why haven't we been seeing these sights since the 50's? Is it some new kind of propulsion system which is easier to observe at night? A plasma drive maybe?

We've had 3 or 4 very similar videos now - Norway, Russia and now the US (I think there was another but I can't remember). What type of missile is it that makes this large ploom? It looks to be travelling quite slowly too. I know nothing about rockets but wonder:

1. Why night time over heavily populated areas?
2. What type of rocket is it?
3. What is the purpose of the US military firing off a rocket anyway? They have fired thousands of them. Did they forget to look?

I'm interested in these rocket sightings. We've had rockets/missiles for a long time now. Why haven't we been seeing these sights since the 50's? Is it some new kind of propulsion system which is easier to observe at night? A plasma drive maybe?
I think that's a good point.
This case - and the case of the rocket seen over Norway in 2009 - are odd because of the strange blue colouration of the flame.

I read today that it was an unarmed Trident missile fired from a submarine. There are three types of Trident: Nuclear, Conventional (with tungsten rods payload) or Conventional (without payload).

I wonder if they are being fired at night IN ORDER to draw attention. The US government know that the sighting would go viral and send a message to the Russians?

I still personally think that we're looking at a new type of propulsion system which is easier to observe at night.

I read today that it was an unarmed Trident missile fired from a submarine. There are three types of Trident: Nuclear, Conventional (with tungsten rods payload) or Conventional (without payload).

I wonder if they are being fired at night IN ORDER to draw attention. The US government know that the sighting would go viral and send a message to the Russians?

A message to the Russians and ISIS, probably.

Such tests must be regular to check that your deterrent still works, but normally they would be conducted much further out to sea, so your suggestion that this one was 'IN ORDER to draw attention' is probably correct. The missile was observed from several states because of the height reached, but I'm certain it was never 'over heavily populated areas', just as fireballs are often reported over a wide area.

but I'm certain it was never 'over heavily populated areas', just as fireballs are often reported over a wide area.

I agree that it probably wasn't over landmass but rather fired along the coast. Reports came in from witnesses in San Fransisco and Arizona (which is quite a distance from the Californian coast). My point being though that is was fired where there were thousands of witnesses and that if the launch went, how shall we say... tits up, then at that altitude it could quite possibly make landfall. California is one of the most populated areas of the US.

Tit for tat from the Russians it would seem.

"Russia reveals giant nuclear torpedo in state TV leak"

The Kremlin says secret plans for a Russian long-range nuclear torpedo - called "Status-6" - should not have appeared on Russian TV news.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34797252

And this the day after Putin says he doesn't want a new arms race!

I am posting this one mainly for the first 3-4 minutes. The first minutes contain nightvision footage of the sky.
Perhaps we're not supposed to see this with ordinary telescopes or cameras.

There are a lot of UFO footage after the nightvision footage. 45 minutes of it.

More nightvision footage:

Back