• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Le Loyon / Phantom of Maules: Mystery Figure In Swiss Woods

mrpoultice

Fen-dwelling Slodger
All very creepy...

A SINISTER figure has reportedly been caught on camera lurking in the woods in western Switzerland.

Dressed in a military uniform with a gas mask covering his face, the figure, known as 'Le Loyon', is said to have been haunting the woods for the past decade. He apparently walks the same route every day.

However, there was no evidence of his existence until local news website Le Matin published the first known photograph of the mystery man last month, and now police are trying to track him down. But is it for real?

"I came across him near the marches," an unnamed amateur photographer who tracked him down told Le Matin. "I approached him up to a dozen metres away.

"He had a military cape, boots and an army gas mark - an antique type, I think. He measured more than 1.9m. He stared at me then turned his back on me and left in silence."

Other locals have also told of their frightening encounters with the man.

"It scared my children," a woman said. "He came out of the woods with his military clothes. We saw neither his face nor his eyes behind his big dark gas mask. It was scary and I know women who are venturing alone in the forest."

Another local resident, Marianne Descloux of Maules, said she also saw him: "It was a rainy Sunday. He had on a cap, a dark cloak and gas mask. What goes on in his head? I don't know. It was unpleasant. I hope I never run into him again."

The figure was also reportedly spotted clutching what appeared to be a bunch of flowers.

"Families simply won't go into the forest any more," a farmer said.

Police want to speak to Le Loyon to ask him to be less threatening, although he's shown no signs of aggressive behaviour.

Such is the hysteria, that he has been called 'Switzerland's answer to the Loch Ness monster'.

"The situation is delicate because we basically have nothing against this person," Guy Savary, the municipal official in charge of forests, said.

"But since he arouses these fears, we are going to hold meeting to see if we can find a way of locating him, and discouraging him from behaving as he does."

Some believe he could be suffering from a nasty skin condition, is mentally ill or a hermit.

So what do you think, is it a hoax?

Source, and with photo News.com.au

Mr P

Is it just me, or does this story seem a little bit desperate?

The poncho doesn't strike me as particularly sinister - not least because it appears to have the reddish markings I would associate with a Swiss army issue camouflage. I'm not sure that wearing items of military surplus while out walking the woods marks you out as a nutter - nor indeed does going for a walk in the woods every day. Or being just over 6 feet tall. Or carrying a bunch of flowers.

The only element which possibly just about saves it from being a complete non-story seems to me to be the gas-mask - which hardly gets a mention.

Hold on, it's not April is it?

Isn't the quality of the photo very typical. Whether it's Le Loyon, Nessie, the abominable snowman or the Jersey Devil.

The quality sucks. :hmph:

I dare say walking in the woods in camo gear with a gas mask is how someone out there gets their jollies. :lol:

I see some reports are claiming that this chap is Switzerland's equivalent of the Loch Ness monster.

I think the Swiss need to get out more.

Or they need to stay in more so they don't get mistaken for a monster.

Swiss cammo is very pretty, I think.

At least hes not wearing a ghillie suit and carrying one of those WW2 swiss rucksacks made from a rather shaggy pony skin, that and a big throwing axe.

Like my friends do.

I think the swiss should get out more too

Update ...

The last alleged sighting of Le Loyon was in November 2013. His apparel and a note (described as a possible 'suicide note') were found in the forest:

https://www.lematin.ch/faits-divers/loyon-decide-suicider/story/26871281

The full text of the note (in French) can be accessed in this commune information bulletin dated December 2013:

http://files.newsnetz.ch/upload//3/1/31752.pdf

The note seems to announce the end of the 'Phantom of Maules', and it points to the publicity from the publication of the photo (see post #1) as the cause.

I just heard about this now. Looking up this story I read about another strange person:

Perhaps it is worth reminding ourselves of the Green Man of Pennsylvania, sometimes referred to as Charlie “No Face”. During the 1950s and 60s, sightings of the Green Man would often occur near State Route 351 near the Peters Creek area. Many bored teenagers would often venture up to this region at night. All had hopes of seeing the faceless man, who also had no right arm.

Indeed, many knew of this bizarre ghost-like monstrosity.

In reality, however, the Green Man was Charlie Robinson, a local man who as a boy would climb a railway bridge in order to see a bird’s nest. In doing so, he would suffer horrific burns from the electrically charged wires above. Although there were no long-lasting health effects, Robinson would often only venture out at night. And even then, many not familiar with his story would run in shock at the sight of him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Robinson_(Green_Man)
https://www.ufoinsight.com/le-loyon-the-mystery-masked-man-of-the-swiss-woodlands/

Back