• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Nicolas Cage Thread (Was Left Behind)

I must admit I was sceptical about a meta Nic Cage movie, but...

This trailer has a few jokes that made me laugh, so cautiously optimistic.

Nicolas Cage, thespian...

Nicolas Cage Doesn’t Consider Himself an Actor: ‘I Like the Word Thespian’​

Also on this episode of Variety's Awards Circuit Podcast: Vicky Krieps and Mia Wasikowska discuss their intertwined roles in Mia Hansen-Løve’s 'Bergman Island.'

Nicolas Cage is an Academy Award winner known for turning in memorable, completely original performances in a wide range of beloved movies: The action hit “Face/Off,” the searing drama “Leaving Las Vegas” and the wonderfully surreal “Adaptation.” Even after acting for several decades, Cage manages to surprise and find completely original ways to approach roles. And yet he doesn’t prefer the term “actor.”
“For me it always implies, ‘Oh, he’s a great actor, therefore he’s a great liar,’” Cage says. “So with the risk of sounding like a pretentious asshole, I like the word ‘thespian’ because thespian means you’re going into your heart, or you’re going into your imagination, or your memories or your dreams, and you’re bringing something back to communicate with the audience.”
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/nicolas-cage-pig-face-off-podcast-interview-1235144614/

I'm a little disappointed he doesn't now want to be known as a fantabulous wonderspinner or something, but thespian is a perfectly respectable word for his profession.

received_313651180539100.jpeg

A new interview with the great man:
Article

He says his cat is his best friend. He has another cat who, er, isn't. And he has a pet crow called Hoogan who swears at him from inside his geodesic dome. Of course he does.

Anyway, he's gothing up for his next role as Dracula in Renfield, which according to the article is a comedy (which explains Awkwafina being in it).

Nicolas Cage gets the best reviews of his career - for playing himself (sort of).

Nicolas Cage’s ‘Unbearable Weight’ Gets Rare Perfect Rotten Tomatoes Score, a Career Best​

After its premiere at the South by Southwest festival, Cage's new comedy has received a massive critics' score (so far).

BY JAMES HIBBERD
Plus Icon

MARCH 15, 2022 6:04AM

Nicolas Cage is getting some of the best reviews of his career … for playing Nicolas Cage.
The actor’s new comedy The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent currently has a rare 100 percent critics‘ score on aggregate site Rotten Tomatoes.

The reviews follow the film’s world premiere at the South by Southwest festival on Saturday night in Austin, Texas.
As there are only 15 reviews so far, it’s probable that the score will dip as more reviews are added. But for now, it’s the highest-scoring film of the 170 Cage-credited titles on the site.

In the film, Cage plays a fictionalized version of himself who’s offered $1 million to appear at the birthday party of a mega fan (Pedro Pascal). But the fan may not be as he seems, and “Cage” soon finds himself going down a funhouse mirror rabbit hole of his past roles and finding himself in a Cage-style action movie.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...t-perfect-rotten-tomatoes-reviews-1235111572/

Nic learns about "Cageing":

And so do I. I have no idea what this is, and am still unsure. Putting Cage's face up in schools?

I did like the bit where he said he'd phoned an obsessive fan who put up photos of his face around his town. "He wasn't a weirdo!" Well, you've set a very high bar, Mr Cage...

How can they possibly refuse?

Nicolas Cage Tells Warner Bros. He’s Ready to Join ‘The Batman’ Sequel as ‘Terrifying’ Villain​

Nicolas Cage has a message for Warner Bros. executives: “I’m down for Egghead.” The Oscar winner is talking about playing the villain Egghead in a potential sequel to Matt Reeves’ “The Batman,” which is quickly approaching the $500 million mark at the worldwide box office. Warner Bros. has yet to officially announce “The Batman” sequel, but Reeves and cast members like Robert Pattinson have all expressed a desire to make a follow-up movie. Cage told reporters at SXSW he’s interested in joining.
“We have this new [movie with] Robert Pattinson as ‘The Batman,’ which I’m excited to see. I haven’t seen it yet but I think he would be terrific.” Cage said (via IGN). “The villain that Vincent Price played on the 1960s show, Egghead, I think I want to have a go at Egghead. I think I can make him absolutely terrifying. And I have a concept for Egghead. So let them know over at Warner Bros., I’m down for Egghead.”
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/nicolas-cage-warner-bros-the-batman-sequel-1235206460/

The Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent: In some ways this reminds me of Being John Malkovich but it's not as highbrow and they find another way of getting into Nick's head. Cage is obviously sending himself up as he chews up the scenery trying to convince a director to give him a role. He is getting roles but not the ones he wants. in spite of his hard work he's in debt, another divorce, he owes his hotel $600,000. So he takes a job appearing at a billionaire's birthday party for $1 million. But nothings that simple, the billionaire has shady contacts and the CIA are involved. Thus begins an adventure that resembles one of Cage's more unfortunate film choices but in this case it's hilariously funny as it turns into a buddy movie.

A younger "Nicky Cage" (Wild At Heart vintage) constantly appears and berates the older Cage about how he is still a great star, even slapping him around Perhaps those who cringe at Nick's very appearance on screen will appreciate him afresh after this, you may even agree that Paddington " is a greater film than The Cabinet of Dr Caligari. Great comedy action film with more than a touch of Meta-Self Referentialism about it. Written and Directed by Tom Gormican. 8/10.

Primal, Nick Cage is a hunter, illegally exporting rare animals from Brazil including a white jaguar. He has to share a ship back to the US with a captured Jihadist and his US guards. You can guess what happens. I gave up after 40 minutes but my attention had drifted before that. Cage probably ate up more scenery than the jaguar later in the film but I really don't care. It was just formulaic and predictable.Directed by Nick Powell. Saw it on Legend, I'll give it 4/10 for the cute parrot.

Primal, Nick Cage is a hunter, illegally exporting rare animals from Brazil including a white jaguar. He has to share a ship back to the US with a captured Jihadist and his US guards. You can guess what happens. I gave up after 40 minutes but my attention had drifted before that. Cage probably ate up more scenery than the jaguar later in the film but I really don't care. It was just formulaic and predictable.Directed by Nick Powell. Saw it on Legend, I'll give it 4/10 for the cute parrot.
If it has a cute parrot, I'm in.:cool:

And in a Fortean twist, he's haunting everyone's dreams...

I saw Dream Scenario today. I’m not a great Cage film fan & often find he goes well over the top in his performances but this one is surprisingly good & Cage is good in it, playing somewhat against type.

Starts off as as weird & amusing as more & more people find he features in their dreams for no apparent reason but as it goes on it becomes more disturbing. He’s not looking for the attention but as social media kicks in he finds he becomes something of a star as the word spreads.

At first his dream appearances are innocuous but suddenly he starts to attack & terrify people in their dreams & becomes vilified & turns into an outcast as a result. Things gets quite nightmarish for him & his family.

Social media fame/infamy & cancel culture feature.

Good performances all round. I liked it.

I saw Dream Scenario today. I’m not a great Cage film fan & often find he goes well over the top in his performances but this one is surprisingly good & Cage is good in it, playing somewhat against type.

Starts off as as weird & amusing as more & more people find he features in their dreams for no apparent reason but as it goes on it becomes more disturbing. He’s not looking for the attention but as social media kicks in he finds he becomes something of a star as the word spreads.

At first his dream appearances are innocuous but suddenly he starts to attack & terrify people in their dreams & becomes vilified & turns into an outcast as a result. Things gets quite nightmarish for him & his family.

Social media fame/infamy & cancel culture feature.

Good performances all round. I liked it.
I'm looking forward to caching this when it streams. I've always been fascinated by the occasional dream I have that involves people I've never met. I don't know why my brain invents people for dreams or where it gets the templates for them. So this idea of a guy turning up in different folks dreams is amusing to me.

Dream Scenario: Nicholas cage as Paul Matthews is mostly restrained considering what he's going through. he only really chews up the scenery in the dreams and once in real life when students vandallse his car. Interesting the way his appearances in dreams move on from him being just an observer of people in violent/threatening scenarios to the poinr where the film pivots into horror and he attacks, strangles, stabs people in what have now become nightmares. He goes from having disinterested students in his class to being their favourite professor but then gets effectively cancelled by them. Their dreams/nightmares become their lived experience. An interesting critique of cancel culture infuses the film, sometimes explicit but also implicit in other scenes. A Hipster PR firm firm is also used to satirise the industry, they want him to advertise Sprite and get into Obama's dreams. As he turns from hero to zero they want to push him at the Jordan Petersen demographic. Paul Matthews is basically a frumpy middle aged male, always in an anorak, he has to be asked to take it off when he;s being seduced. He holds grudges and perhaps unfairly, even irrationally believes that an old grad school colleague has stolen his ideas. An interesting observation of the male midlife crisis taken to a Fortean level. See this film! Written and Directed by Kristoffer Borgli. 8.5/10.

In cinemas.

'Another decent Cage film' shocker. I Watched Red Rock West tonight - a noir-ish thriller in which a down on his luck ex-marine Cage looking for work is mistaken for the contract killler hired by a bar owner who happens to be sheriff in a small Wyoming town, to kill his wife. Cage decides to take the up-front half-payment for the job then do a runner & leaves town.

It goes pear shaped when he comes across the actual contract killer - Dennis Hopper in familiar manic/menacing role - & subsequently gets lured by the femme fatale wife - Lara Flynn Boyle - who is quite foxy, into going back to town to get a stack of money from the husband’s safe..

The large sum of ill-gotten money is the motivation behind the murder scheme. The ending is a bit shite but the build-up is pretty good, as is Cage’s performance. He plays a basically good guy who gets out of his depth & has to juggle escaping the killers with the temptation of the alluring wife.

Neon's Longlegs Marketing Keeps Getting Creepier
Over the last few Fridays, distributor Neon has released small teasers for an upcoming horror movie called Longlegs.
Longlegs is directed by Oz Perkins, who previously helmed 2020's Gretel & Hansel. Cage has the role of a serial killer being investigated by a new FBI agent named Lee (played by It Follows’ Maika Monroe). The more Lee digs into his killings, the more she finds something off and occult is going on with him, along with a potential link between them. All three of the teasers thus far have been unsettling, but engaging: fans online have spent time trying to decode the symbols within each teaser, and there’s been a general positive reaction for Neon’s restraint with revealing what this movie is.
https://gizmodo.com/longlegs-nicolas-cage-neon-teasers-1851183814

Woman finds shrine to Nicholas Cage under her house

A woman was left in stitches after finding a hidden shrine dedicated to Nicholas Cage under her house. The shrine, complete with candles, goblets and movie memorabilia, was discovered when she called workmen to lay new cables.

The cable technicians found at least 12 photos of Nicolas Cage hanging from the ceiling, a kneeling rug, candles, a goblet, and a box full of items from his films. She had lived in the house for a year before discovering the shrine, leaving her wondering who among the previous homeowners installed it.
1706046852864.png

Pig: Whilst Nick Cage hogs the limelight. He doesn't chew up the scenery as much as he could have gotten way with, he's just pig in the middle, Cage plays Rob, a truffle hunter who used to be a famous Portland chef. He went a little crazy and off grid after his wife died, now he lives in a remote cabin with his prized foraging pig, who is a friend to him as well as a working animal. Rob sells truffles exclusively to Amir ((Alex Wolff) who sells them on to high end restaurants. Rob is attacked one night and his beloved pig is stolen. Along with Amir he travels across Oregon and on into Portland in search of his fine swine. A road movie where they encounter a series of eccentric characters and old friends of Ron, some meeting both criteria. There is even a sequence where Rob engages in an odd twist on Fight Club in order to get information on the pigs whereabouts. Some really good acting by Cage as he portrays a recluse who has been out of society for 10 years and must now readjust in order to achieve his objective. A moving film with a line of dark humour and some savage violence. Written and directed by Michael Sarnoski . 7.5/10.

Recorded it from Film4 a while back.

Back