• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Leprechauns

Leprechaun sighting in Mobile causing nationwide phenomenon and profits

Last Update: 3/26/2006 3:26:03 PM

(Mobile, Ala.) March 24 – Remember what happened to Ray Nagin – the now infamous Mayor of New Orleans.

His comments about the Big Easy becoming a “Chocolate City” led to thousands of T-shirt sales poking fun at his remarks. Now – Mobile, Alabama is the subject of a popular T-shirt, all because of a little leprechaun sighted in Mobile’s Crichton Community.

An amateur sketch drawn by a spectator resembles what many of you say the leprechaun looks like. But apparently, not everyone is seeing the same thing. “To me, it looks like a leprechaun to me. All you got to do is look up in the tree. Who else seen the leprechaun,” said one man before a large crowd of spectators. "It could be a crack head that got hold to the wrong stuff and they told him to get up in the tree and play a leprechaun,” said Alice Sellers, a Mobile resident driving by the location.

Randall Rego, a struggling college student near San Francisco, CA, heard about the leprechaun through an e-mail from a friend. He later decided to design a T-shirt sporting the amateur sketch of the leprechaun. In addition to T-shirt sales, you may also be hearing about CD sales in the very near future. A song entitled "I wanna know where” is circulating on the Internet, inspired by the Crichton leprechaun.

Source

T shirt:
www.cafepress.com/randor.51994771

Songs:
www.myspace.com/emceelepracon

Couple call on 'little people' to set world record
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 62931.html
ELAINE KEOGH

Mon, Mar 14, 2011

‘GET IN touch with your inner leprechaun” is the call from Carol and Derek Ward, who want to set a world record for the largest gathering of people dressed as leprechauns.

They need at least 200 “little people” on St Patrick’s Day to secure a place in the 2012 Guinness Book of Records . The record attempt will also raise funds for St Luke’s Hospital in Dublin.

“We need to get in touch with our inner leprechaun and in these times anything that makes people smile is good,” say the Wards, who moved to Ardee, Co Louth, from England 13 years ago.

The couple raise funds every St Patrick’s Day and this year, in an effort to make it fun, have asked families to dress up and create a sea of green before taking part in the Ardee parade at 3pm.

“We have registered with the Guinness people and to qualify, our leprechauns must have the leprechaun hat, beard and green T- shirt and waistcoat and wear black or green trousers,” said Mr Ward.

The couple are taking registrations every day from local schools, groups and organisations as well as individuals and are optimistic they will set a new record.

It is €4 to register or €10 for a family of four. Ms Ward feels passionately about fundraising for cancer care having had a breast cancer scare herself.

“I am a friend of St Luke’s in Rathgar [Dublin] and the staff are just wonderful. Everyone is so nice and as a friend, I help fundraise and come up with ideas for the hospital and patients. Even if it is just giving someone a pillow or a magazine as they go through their treatment, it all helps,” added Ms Ward.

The couple are hoping that they will have more than 300 leprechauns when a head count is done by independent observers on Thursday afternoon. They must all stay in the one place for 10 minutes to qualify and then they will take part in the town parade.

Anyone who wants to take part can register by calling into Malone’s shop in Ardee.

Leprechaun hunt
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/tra ... 35612.html

On March 27th – the first day when the clocks go forward – Carlingford will host the “National Leprechaun Hunt”. Assembling at The Green at 1.30pm, hunters will proceed to the mountain gate.

The hunting area will be marked out and it is expected that up to 50 leprechauns could be found each carrying a reward. An area around the Wishing Well and Slate Rock will be restricted for the protection of flora, fauna, wild animals and, of course, the little people.

The cost of a hunting license is €5. All proceeds on the day to go to Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital Crumlin and local charities. Details from carlingfordleprechaun.ie or phone 042-9373033.

What did the Romans ever do for us?

They gave us Leprechauns!

Leprechauns may be considered quintessentially Irish, but research suggests this perception is blarney.

The word "leprechaun" is not a native Irish one, scholars have said. They have uncovered hundreds of lost words from the Irish language and unlocked the secrets of many others. Although "leipreachán" has been in the Irish language for a long time, researchers have said it comes from Luperci, a group linked to a Roman festival. The feast included a purification ritual involving swimming and, like the Luperci, leprechauns are associated with water in what may be their first appearance in early Irish literature.

According to an Old Irish tale known as The Adventure of Fergus son of Léti, leprechauns carried the sleeping Fergus out to sea. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-49579940

A Leprechaun Whisperer has been interviewed on TV.
He runs a Leprechaun tour in Ireland.
He says there are 236 Leprechauns.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-insists-creatures-dont-problem-lockdown.html
We met a very drunken Irish pot-man in Hays Galleria, Tooley Street, who tried to convince us he had once kept a Leprechaun in a pickle jar.
After he left us alone one of our group said it was all bollocks as the Irish didn’t eat pickles. What makes you say that said another, “They can’t get their head in the jar” was the reply!
I had to remind him that I had an Irish father and, more to the point, I signed his time sheets.

Back