Let The Right One In (NOT Alexa)

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score

Sgt Girth

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
We have Alexas, Alexi, Alexuses! all around the house, including the bedroom. If anyone is monitoring my conversations then I find the thought of them listening into me and Mrs Girth’s bedroom antics quite amusing!

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
I'm unable to mute entirely the 'calls' volume on my tablet, I guess because Google/Huawei fancy a snoop on me. Don't and won't ever use any 'digital assistants' as I find the concept irritating in the extreme.

As I only ever really use it to play daft games whilst relaxing listening to audiobooks in bed, they are going to think I endlessly talk about Romano-British history, Regency shenanigins, castles, the Tudors and other (not) so very interesting topics. If I get targetted ads for trebuchets or ox-ploughs, then I'll know they've been listening in o_O

Eyespy

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
My friend was woken in the small hours by the sound of a male voice downstairs- she lives alone . She recalled that her sone had left an air rifle in his old room so being a fiesty gal, she slipped her dressing gown on, grabbed the gun and crept down stairs. She now realised there were two men talking softly, she flung the door open and switched on the lights, to discover the TV on with a late night chat show.

Alexa had switched the TV on, presumable she got bored.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Alexa issues have have even become a topic for lawyers - especially those working from home under pandemic conditions.
Lawyers Practicing at Home Should Remember Alexa Is Listening

Among the ethical dilemmas posed by attorneys working from home full time due to Covid-19: what to do with Alexa or other voice activated devices that could impinge upon attorney-client confidentiality?

Devices like Alexa or Google Home present “low-level” risks for confidentiality breaches, said speakers at an online ethics panel Saturday at the Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers’ annual meeting.

It’s a concern because they’re always listening to know when you say something to prompt it, said Brian S. Faughnan, a lawyer with Lewis Thomason in Memphis.

To be safe, fellow panelist Joseph A. Corsmeier, a solo practitioner in Palm Harbor, Fla. recommended unplugging voice-prompted smart devices when they’re not being used.

What to do with smart devices is just part of the challenges - and opportunities - technology presents to lawyers working from home during the pandemic. ...
SOURCE: https://news.bloomberglaw.com/us-la...er-alexa-is-listening?context=search&index=26

bugmum

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
No Alexa round here, nor do I use the Siri on my iPhone, but since we have all manner of games consoles I suspect somebody may be carrying out surveillance on us somehow. They're in for a very boring listen...

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
No Alexa round here, nor do I use the Siri on my iPhone, but since we have all manner of games consoles I suspect somebody may be carrying out surveillance on us somehow. They're in for a very boring listen...
You mean bugmum could be a bugged mum?

Robbrent

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The thing is most of our day to day lives are unimportant to them, what they are listening for is key words in order to target you, a experiment needs to be carried out for those like me who have an Alexa (or two) mention some random products and see if they appear on your Amazon account

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Just got a weird one!

Was on a phone call yesterday and it was really bad quality. Have had crackling issues before and I think it is actually my phone. So one thought that went through my mind was I should try out some other phones I have around the place to see if the problem is the phone or the line. And if it is the phone then I may have to buy another one. This all took plae in my mind. No mention to anyone.

This morning I get an email from Amazon with some phone recommendations...

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I got an Echo Dot for Christmas. It's still sitting on the shelf as, despite hours and hours ('Installation is simple and takes five minutes' my arse) of persuasion, it still will not connect to the wi fi.

I only want it to play podcasts and my audio books when I'm doing stuff around the house. I'll just carry on using my phone with the volume turned up to MAX then.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I got an Echo Dot for Christmas. It's still sitting on the shelf as, despite hours and hours ('Installation is simple and takes five minutes' my arse) of persuasion, it still will not connect to the wi fi.

I only want it to play podcasts and my audio books when I'm doing stuff around the house. I'll just carry on using my phone with the volume turned up to MAX then.
It might be something to do with your wifi router. How old is it? What wifi generation is it? Where is it in relation to the Echo Dot?
Also... is the Echo Dot fully charged up before you attempt to connect?
Before you get started, make sure your Echo is plugged in. It may not be fully charged, and you do not want it to die during the setup process. Wait until the light ring on the top of the Echo turns orange before proceeding.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score

Here’s my advice. Get a baseball bat and smash it to pieces. Put the pieces in a blender and reduce to an ‘Eavesdropper Smoothie’.

Here’s a thought. Get some bluetooth wireless earphones if you want to listen to podcasts while carrying on doing your stuff.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
It might be something to do with your wifi router. How old is it? What wifi generation is it? Where is it in relation to the Echo Dot?
Also... is the Echo Dot fully charged up before you attempt to connect?
Before you get started, make sure your Echo is plugged in. It may not be fully charged, and you do not want it to die during the setup process. Wait until the light ring on the top of the Echo turns orange before proceeding.
Yep, we're pretty techie here and we followed all the instructions. Wi fi router is new, it's a mobile router which I thought was the problem, but apparently not, they can run an Echo perfectly well. It's within 30 ft of the Echo but the Echo just doesn't want to talk to it.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Yep, we're pretty techie here and we followed all the instructions. Wi fi router is new, it's a mobile router which I thought was the problem, but apparently not, they can run an Echo perfectly well. It's within 30 ft of the Echo but the Echo just doesn't want to talk to it.
Analogue Boy's suggestion would definitely seem to apply.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
Can't play baseball because of covid anyway. Have to enjoy isolated indoor sports for now. Bash away!

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The things they put on the Internet...