• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Let There Be More Light: The Pink Floyd Thread

Pure Floyd that.
The audacity of using that ancient amphitheatre as a natural subwoofer pumping their sonic brilliance deep into the cosmos. Love it.

Yup. I hope Pink Floyd thanked the Romans for their foresight.
Or even the Ancient Greeks for the original design.

Synchronicity, I've been planning to watch that
I am old enough to remember watching the original, when it was first shown!

Vague (very!) recollection that would have been on its cinema release.

UPDATE

Resulting from above, YouTube has suggested I might also like the following.

Somehow, never even knew this French production existed...

Fantastic 4K quality...! :twothumbs:

In late 1967 Pink Floyd stayed at Alice Cooper's house before appearing on American Bandstand: on both occasions Syd Barrett completely baffled his hosts

A little fortean story I'd never heard: Syd Barrett apparently displayed telepathic abilities:

"He never talked," guitarist Glenn Buxton [of the Alice Cooper band] told Trouser Press in 1977. "But we’d be sitting at dinner and all of a sudden I’d pick up the sugar and pass it to him, and he’d shake his head like ‘Yeah, thanks.’ It was like I heard him say ‘Pass the sugar.’

"It’s like telepathy, it really was. It was very weird. You would find yourself right in the middle of doing something, as you were passing the sugar or whatever, and you’d think ‘Well, damn, I didn’t hear anybody say anything!’ That was the first time in my life I’d ever met anybody that could actually do that freely. And this guy did it all the time."

More resurfaced bootleg footage - this one from the last date of '77 In The Flesh tour, and possibly captures Roger's infamous spit at a rabid fan.

Here is the infamous second film source of Montréal 1977 that appeared online a few months ago, synced up to a multi-recording matrix done by Davide Capolongo, as well as a colour correction. This is the legendary concert where Waters was so fed up with the rowdy American crowds that he ended up spitting in the face of a fan who was climbing up the front of the stage.
The clip of Waters at 14:08 during 'Money' shows him yelling angrily at somebody in the crowd, and giving them the middle finger. At 14:16, during the "quiet bit" to 'Money', Waters is seen lunging forward, in a spitting motion. This is very likely to be the historical moment captured on film.

The clip of Waters at 14:08 during 'Money' shows him yelling angrily at somebody in the crowd, and giving them the middle finger. At 14:16, during the "quiet bit" to 'Money', Waters is seen lunging forward, in a spitting motion. This is very likely to be the historical moment captured on film.
Interesting, but, to quote Roger Waters - I've got admit that I'm a little bit confused. I always thought 'Dogs' from Animals references this incident with the line 'who was trained not to spit in the fan'. But Animals was released in January 1977, with the incident apparently happening in July of that year. Is it just coincidence?

EDIT: a lot of people online are skeptical about this video because most eyewitness account place the famous gob during 'Pigs (three different ones)'.

Last edited:
Interesting, but, to quote Roger Waters - I've got admit that I'm a little bit confused. I always thought 'Dogs' from Animals references this incident with the line 'who was trained not to spit in the fan'. But Animals was released in January 1977, with the incident apparently happening in July of that year. Is it just coincidence?
Yes.
EDIT: a lot of people online are skeptical about this video because most eyewitness account place the famous gob during 'Pigs (three different ones)'.
I've only seen the interview with Wray Ellis, where years later he listens to a bootleg and links it to Roger saying "C’mon boy... come back... all is forgiven... just a bit further... there’s a good boy..." but the counter-argument is this is Roger calling back the inflatable pig.

https://www.brain-damage.co.uk/pink...966-onwards/pink-floyd-montreal-july-6th.html

I think what sets Gilmour apart from our other guitar heroes, and what draws me most, is that his style features so much air. It's full of oxygen. Really kicks in from TDB through his last 2 albums. This doco focuses on the most recent and gets in behind those spaced-out eyes. Quite an insightful production.

A man named Grimble Gromble

1702981265262.png

Back