• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Let There Be More Light: The Pink Floyd Thread

As happens, whilst browsing for something entirely unrelated, this has come up randomly on YouTube and it's rather good...

Screenshot_20210101_225041_compress54.jpg

This seems to be a new YouTube upload and the contemporary 'Swinging Sixties' London footage is...

...just Fab... :)

Pink Floyd - On Thin Ice Documentary (2020)

Syd's talking voice August 1967
The self-obsessed American gets nowhere because he, the interviewer, has no idea what's going on. So Syd is baffled, literally, by the incomprehensibility of this person. Syd was clear in his mind. Perhaps a bit too clear for this guy. The cultural divide is astonishing. They barely share a language.

Syd's talking voice August 1967
The self-obsessed American gets nowhere because he, the interviewer, has no idea what's going on. So Syd is baffled, literally, by the incomprehensibility of this person. Syd was clear in his mind. Perhaps a bit too clear for this guy. The cultural divide is astonishing. They barely share a language.

It's quite uncomfortable listening - I think Syd was not in a good place at this time, shortly after his breakdown & on the way out of his main man role in the band. The interviewer is aware of this & tries to tread carefully but has no idea how to talk to him & ends up waffling..

The audio is shite. I hate it. It's a 1976 performance of a Dogs version. It is awful.

Frustrated by endless retakes of the "Love Scene" in Zabriskie Point by a demanding Antonioni, things got a little NSFW. Needless to say, this outtake has never had an official release...

The Pink Floyd originals in 2003 talking about DSoTM upon the release of Guthrie's 5:1 surround remaster SACD, which I havent yet listened to.
Enjoy.

Studio cuts from Maben's Pompeii film. This is during production of DSoTM.

Pink Floyd reform, in support of Ukraine (and express disappointment at Roger Waters).

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/apr/07/pink-floyd-reform-to-support-ukraine

A poignant and memorable song, with some classic Gilmour guitar.
Hear hear. I have it on heavy rotate right now. It’s a BDG song fo shiz.

Exeter, we’re all updated here thanks Bruv. Been a Floyd aficionado since 1985. Not as long as some, but long enough to know most of the ins n outs. Enjoy the thread. :bananas:

What do we think, broze? Will David, Nicholas and Roger ever create a final patch of brilliance before another of them goze the way of the dodoze? I remain in hope. It did happen in 2005 despite all negatives. It can happen again.

Imagine a truly brilliant piece like Amused To Death with David Gilmore on lead guitar and shared lead vocals. It would be a fitting end to our time in the sun as a western civilisation.

Hear hear. I have it on heavy rotate right now. It’s a BDG song fo shiz.

Exeter, we’re all updated here thanks Bruv. Been a Floyd aficionado since 1985. Not as long as some, but long enough to know most of the ins n outs. Enjoy the thread. :bananas:
For me it was - shock horror - the Gilmour/Mason incarnation and the 'Delicate Sound of Thunder' tour of the late 80s that grabbed me. This was cemented by Gilmour/Mason/Wright incarnation and the 'Pulse' tour. This may be a Cardinal Sin and I am ready to say my Hail Marys or indeed face my excommunication from this thread.... but I have never really warmed to Roger Waters

I think even he would get that. I’ve never really cooled to Rog. He’s a seminal influence on my politics. I love the guy.

My only claim to Pink Floyd 'fame' is that I was working at Saunton Sands Hotel in North Devon when they set up the beach for the "A Momentary Lapse of Reason' album cover (1987?). The band weren't there but Storm Thorgerson was. The London-based crew ignored the warning of the locals and in their first attempt with all those deck chairs etc were nearly lost to the tide and the whole thing had to be set up again.

Saunton Sands beach was of course one of the filming locations for 'The Wall" a few years earlier and the band did stay on that occasion (there photos of them on one of the walls). I was told by staff that Bob Geldof was 'in character' and behaved like, well, you can imagine... On one occasion a huge dish of paella replete with local seafood was bought out for his whole table and he promptly grabbed it for himself and scoffed the lot :)

That’s cool. :cool:
AMLOR was the first album that really bopped me in the synapses. The cover was trippy. Gods bless Hipgnosis.

Which is the most striking album cover for you.

I think there’s only one that trumps all the others. It was Storm’s concept, natch.

Watch the DSOTM Classic Albums doco for deets. They all of them to a man looked at his various options and went THAT as one.

Which is the most striking album cover for you.

I think there’s only one that trumps all the others. It was Storm’s concept, natch.

Watch the DSOTM Classic Albums doco for deets. They all of them to a man looked at his various options and went THAT as one.
'The Delicate Sound of Thunder' for me and what has to be the ultimate Pink Floyd album name, too!

Back