• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Let There Be More Light: The Pink Floyd Thread

The Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A) is hoping to replicate the success of its David Bowie exhibition with a major retrospective of Pink Floyd.

The Pink Floyd Exhibition: Their Mortal Remains, marking 50 years since the release of the band's first single, will include a laser light show and previously unseen concert footage.

The "immersive" show will feature 350 objects and artefacts, including instruments and original artworks.

It will run from May to October 2017.

The V&A promised "an immersive, multi-sensory and theatrical journey through Pink Floyd's extraordinary world" which will "chronicle the music, iconic visuals and staging of the band, from the underground psychedelic scene in 1960s London to the present day".

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37228496

The Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A) is hoping to replicate the success of its David Bowie exhibition with a major retrospective of Pink Floyd.

The Pink Floyd Exhibition: Their Mortal Remains, marking 50 years since the release of the band's first single, will include a laser light show and previously unseen concert footage.

The "immersive" show will feature 350 objects and artefacts, including instruments and original artworks.

The V&A promised "an immersive, multi-sensory and theatrical journey through Pink Floyd's extraordinary world" which will "chronicle the music, iconic visuals and staging of the band, from the underground psychedelic scene in 1960s London to the present day".

Oh to be in the British Isles. There's a Bowie show here in November which I'm very keen to catch. It was on earlier this year and I missed it.

Anybody seen a decent Floyd cover group? I hear the Australian Pink Floyd Show is very good. Shame they never visit Australia.

I enjoyed "Meddle" yesterday. Wonderful album. Probably my favourite of theirs.

Although "Ummagumma" and "Saucerful..." run extremely close joint-seconds.

I love this (and the V&A for presenting shows like this) and I shall most certainly visit. My only issue is that their first single was released fifty years ago (next year). That means I'm 50 years old, next year!!!!!!!!!!! I swear up and down that I'm 30! 30 I am and 30 I shall remain - fetch me my hair dye!

Thanks, sherbs. In headphones heaven right now.
Flaming is a great first track. "You can't see me, but I can you". I took a lot of comfort from this song when Syd passed 10 years ago.

Nope. I didn't recognise it in any way at all. It was a delightful experience to hear something so old and so Floyd for the first time.

This hour of music is spectacular. I will definitely be investing in the remaster. It has a wonderful sequence, and hearing Gilmour's early work in a radio edit is also very special. I'd have picked all of those songs exactly for an hour of Floyd music from the era.

Relics is just superlatively good - a time capsule of what Pink Floyd once was. Everything from this era is bubbling over with inspiration and earnest enthusiasm.

From my seat at the back, I couldn't tell who was singing Comfortably Numb last night, until Gilmour introduced him afterwards. Turned out it was this guy...

I'm not that fond of Green is the Colour or Cymbaline. I've heard lots of pre DSOTM bootlegs where they get dragged out to 15 minutes worth of plodding noodling. I prefer the more energetic early pieces like Saucerful of Secrets or One of these Days.

A taster from the boxset out today...
Pink Floyd’s seminal work ‘Echoes’ was created by the band in a conscious desire to use a freeform jamming approach to composing new material. Accordingly they ended up with more than 20 pieces of music, of which this is one. All the pieces were originally called ‘Nothing’, and the collation therefore ‘Nothing, Parts 1-24’, followed by ‘Son Of Nothing’ and ‘Return of the Son of Nothing;’ before Roger Waters’ lyrics were added and the final work dubbed ‘Echoes’.

I treated myself to the double CD sampler The Early Years. I thought it was a tad patchy as these things tend to be.

The highlights for me were the live versions of Embryo and Atom Heart Mother. There's also a studio version of Careful With That Axe Eugene that sounds different to the one on Relics. However I could easily live without the fragments from Zabriskie Point.

Sadly no Scream Thy Last Scream or Vegetable Man. You'll have to shell out £400 for the full set to get those.

I know Division Bell isn't as popular as other albums and it shouldn't be, it's not as good.
But, me personally, if I could somehow tatoo an audible song on my heart, Keep Talking would be one of them. But then I'd have to remove it for the dozens of other songs I keep there

However I could easily live without the fragments from Zabriskie Point.
They could make a decent album of all the ZP stuff, but here we just get the offcuts - some of which were welcome as they'd never been bootlegged.

Sadly no Scream Thy Last Scream or Vegetable Man. You'll have to shell out £400 for the full set to get those.
Yeah, real mystery why they didn't include those two.

I know Division Bell isn't as popular as other albums and it shouldn't be, it's not as good.
But, me personally, if I could somehow tatoo an audible song on my heart, Keep Talking would be one of them. But then I'd have to remove it for the dozens of other songs I keep there
Keep one for ya here.

TDB has its moments. I got it in '95 as I was starting to read Tolkein's Lord of the Rings trilogy and it was as a suitable accompaniment. I don't get through the whole album in one sitting often. High Hopes is hella fun to play along to on the stratocaster.

Back