• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Let There Be More Light: The Pink Floyd Thread

For what it's worth I thought I'd mention that I was in the town centre of Harlow, Essex the other day and there were some young lads (probably still in their teens) busking with electric guitars, mics, a synth, and a decent PA system. Amongst various pop hits of recent years they also did a set comprising Echoes pt. I & II, One of these Days, Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here. Very good it was too.

I didn't have time to record them as I was rushing to locate a birthday present.

Gilmour's guitar collection has been sold off at Christies. The Black Strat set a new world record ~
https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fdam%2Fimageserve%2F1150020213%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

$3,975,000.
All proceeds went to charity! The man deserves a knighthood.
https://www.guitarworld.com/news/david-gilmours-guitars-shatter-records-at-auction

I'm amazed he sold the Black Strat. Leave it to charity, yes. My favourite bass is staying with me until I'm ready for my box.

Someone paid nearly 4 million dollars for a second hand 50 year old guitar?

This confirms my suspicion that we are living in an artificial simulated universe.

Such an event could not possibly occur in the real world.

Gilmour's guitar collection has been sold off at Christies. The Black Strat set a new world record ~
https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fdam%2Fimageserve%2F1150020213%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

$3,975,000.
All proceeds went to charity! The man deserves a knighthood.
https://www.guitarworld.com/news/david-gilmours-guitars-shatter-records-at-auction

Saw him playing that at the legendary Strat Pack concert at Wembley Arena back in 2004. I remember Marooned being absolutely awesome (as were Gary Moore, Joe Walsh, Brian May, Hank Marvin, Ronnie Wood, Phil Manzenera and all the others.
What a diamond geezer! Shame that Roger Waters turned into such a twat.

Saw him playing that at the legendary Strat Pack concert at Wembley Arena back in 2004. I remember Marooned being absolutely awesome (as were Gary Moore, Joe Walsh, Brian May, Hank Marvin, Ronnie Wood, Phil Manzenera and all the others.
What a diamond geezer! Shame that Roger Waters turned into such a twat.

I disagree about Waters.

I have no doubt that he's a difficult character and his politics are not mine although (perhaps surprisingly) there is some overlap, but I admire his consistency and loyalty to his principles.

Think of how many entertainers flit betweem causes and charities, picking the fashionable ones to increase their exposure and boost their brands.

Roger Waters' advocacy has likely cost him more than it has brought him and made his life more difficult that if he had simply kept his head down and signed the contracts for ever larger cheques.

And musically he ploughs his own furrow. He has his influences, of course, but few other artists are working on the scale he thinks in, nor writing and performing in his style.

Just my opinion.

Good tribute band here. Anybody ever seen them? Wish they'd come home once in a while.

I disagree about Waters.

I have no doubt that he's a difficult character and his politics are not mine although (perhaps surprisingly) there is some overlap, but I admire his consistency and loyalty to his principles.

Think of many entertainers flit betweem causes and charities, picking the fashionable ones to increase their exposure and boost their brands.

Roger Waters' advocacy has likely cost him more than it has brought him and made his life more difficult that if he had simply kept his head down and signed the contracts for ever larger cheques.

And musically he ploughs his own furrow. He has his influences, of course, but few other artists are working on the scale he thinks in, nor writing and performing in his style.

Just my opinion.
Hear hear. 100%
He's the only Floyd I have ever seen live. Have always admired him.

Isn't it just astonishing how accessible everything is nowadays via this digital superhighway. I remember being so desperate for Floydography in the late 80s I paid $180 for a bootleg CD of one of the 1980 Earl's Court concerts. Wouldn't get 20c for it now. Which is one of the ways I convince myself pirate downloading is ok to do. How incredibly fortunate we have been with the freedom of file downloading thus far. I fear we will one day look back the start of this century with fondness for all that was available for fucking FREE.

Anyway, let's listen to some fucking records.

I disagree about Waters.

Think of many entertainers flit betweem causes and charities, picking the fashionable ones to increase their exposure and boost their brands.

Just my opinion.

I guess it's a bit like Cat Stevens. Wrote some good songs in his early, hippyish days. When however he started following a vile ideology and was baying for the head of Salman Rushdie, I lost all interest in his music.

I still enjoy Floyd's (mostly early) music, but the fact that Waters employs imagery not dissimilar to Der Stürmer to further his hatred of the one halfway decent country in the godforsaken shithole that is the Middle-East, has sorely tried my patience.

He openly supports statehood for the likes of Hamas and Islamic Jihad, but opposes that same right for the Jewish people (I.e. Zionism). There is no disguising the fact that he is a bigot.

Isn't it just astonishing how accessible everything is nowadays via this digital superhighway. I remember being so desperate for Floydography in the late 80s I paid $180 for a bootleg CD of one of the 1980 Earl's Court concerts. Wouldn't get 20c for it now.

Tell me about it!

I have about forty Led Zeppelin bootlegs back in Blighty.

That sync is exceptional. I prefer to start the ping at the point where Heywood Floyd (hmm) utters "RADIO EMISSION" in the pre-recorded reveal video = 1:03 here

It meets the rhythm of the scene edit much more precisely for me. Try it and let me know what you tink.

The original Echoes - played live a handful of times as "Return of the Son of Nothing" - opened with space lyrics!

Planets meeting face to face
one to the other cried, how sweet
if endlessly we might embrace
the perfect union deep in space
Heaven might this once relent
and give us leave to shine as one
our two lights here forever one light blending
And in that longing to be one
the parting summons sound is drawn.
I see you got to travel on,
And on and on around the sun.

Just came across this terrific early version from, 'BBC Radio Session', 30 September, 1971.

Interestingly, it features the new lyrics.

Dave Gilmour's guitar interpretation here is different and so fabulous.

Back