• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Let There Be More Light: The Pink Floyd Thread

skinny

Nigh
Vimeo ... everything you tyube isn't.

pF++

Syd_Barrett___WIP_.jpg

good

Let's talk about these three bands called Pink Floyd.

Last edited:
I heart The Sex Pistols. John Lydon is one of the last true scallywags.

However, in musical terms, they don't rate a fucking speck. Well, that's not entirely true. Steve Jones got some raw tone out of his Fender amp. I love that cranky Les Paul chonk. Bodies is one of the true classics of 70s rock.

What really happened to Syd?

What animal really made those hellbird squeeks during the mid-section of Echoes?

How is it that Wizard of Oz synchs so perfectly with DSOTM, or Echoes, or [list song title here]?

These and other ageless questions will be answered, if not conclusively, then hopefully in a quite interesting way.

The Pink Floyd ~ startlingly ordinary people, at day's end. But bloody good at the music thing.

What's the most mysterious thing about this now (totally) defunct progressive rock band?

Take the vinyl of The Wall...

Play "The Empty Spaces" backwards.

Hear the secret message !!

:shock:

skinny said:

What's the most mysterious thing about this now (totally) defunct progressive rock band?
That they kept going after Syd left? :lol:

syd didnt exactly leave ... until a few years ago

live at pompeii reveals a few trade secrets including howling blues hound mme nobbs from memory

If only they'd made a Yellow Submarine-style film of Piper at the Gates of Dawn instead of making everyone miserable with The Wall.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
skinny said:

That they kept going after Syd left? :lol:
Good call. Let's explore the motivations behind that decision.

1. The possibility of commercial success - the appetite had been whetted substantially. If you watch the great Syd doco, Mason states categorically that money was his primary motivation, and in fact that it was probably behind the Syd lockout in the first place. Syd's growing distance from the Market meant he had to go if they were to draw the mainstream audience.

2. There was significant musical talent remaining within the band. Primarily in the form of Rick. Consider the two most popular (among Floyd afficionados, at least) tracks of their entire catalogue ~ Echoes and SOYCD. Remove Wright's contribution to those tracks... he owns the intros, arguably the most important bits, and grounds the melody to an enormous extent throughout both tracks. The Floyd could play, and by the time Syd was gone they had their chops well down. It only took three more years to convince the rest of the world with DSOTM.

3. It's possible, however unlikely, that they felt they owed it to Syd to keep whacking it out. My own impression is that Syd inspired all of the best the band had to offer after his departure. Whether they acknowledged his importance in the early post-Syd stuff is hard to say, but there's no denying that their 70s classics were founded on angst derived from Syd's experiences and his artistic legacy threads through their albums.

4. Dave Gilmour.

Back in 1975 when I was but a lad and we moved down to live in a small English village. I had an old Philips mono cassette recorder of the piano key variety. The two bought tapes that I remember owning were Genesis - Live and Pink Floyd - Relics. I used to wander about the local ancient churchyard and common meadow, listening to Relics on a little mono earphone. The summer of 1975 was one of those idyllic mid-Seventies summers. It was hot, it was sunny, it was dry and it lasted months.

In a churchyard by a river,
Lazing in the haze of midday,
Laughing in the grasses and the graze.
Yellow bird, you are not lonely
In singing and in flying on,
In laughing and in leaving.

Willow weeping in the water,
Waving to the river daughters,
Swaying in the ripples and the reeds.
On a trip to Cirrus Minor,
Saw a crater in the sun
A thousand miles of moonlight later.

When you're in your mid-teens, suddenly transported into an entirely new and pleasant environment, you need no extra drugs.

I was as high as I could be,
When I was in my teens

:lol:

skinny said:
I heart The Sex Pistols. John Lydon is one of the last true scallywags.

However, in musical terms, they don't rate a fucking speck. Well, that's not entirely true. Steve Jones got some raw tone out of his Fender amp. I love that cranky Les Paul chonk. Bodies is one of the true classics of 70s rock.

I always preferred some PiL.

Nice. Not demos, but early studio cuts from the sounds of it. Haven't heard this before. Thanks.

Yeah, after giving them a listen they are definitely more than demos.

Hope they still release these officially (and more) in another Immersion set.

Very much looking forward to anything ascribed to Gilmour/Wright/Mason. They've recycled a lot of their studio cuts from The Division Bell (1994) for the new album "The Endless River" but also added a new tune or two. No high hopes for a conceptual work of genius, but yeah.

Release in early November. :)

Most of the footage in this biodoc I'd not seen before. This is a good intro to the band's history if you've been living on another planet and don't know about Pink Floyd. Most of the interviewees are now dead, sadly.

Mmm the segue from Echoes into Breathe reprise at 22:33 is sweet. ^

I take it we're all aware of the (variable quality) Russian streamed Pink Floyd online radio station? It kind-of reduces/equalises the entire back catalogue (eg even The Wall) to the same 60s compressed Parlourphone feel of 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn'. But it's nice for a pseudo-random Floyd backdrop

Good call. Let's explore the motivations behind that decision.

1. The possibility of commercial success - the appetite had been whetted substantially. If you watch the great Syd doco, Mason states categorically that money was his primary motivation, and in fact that it was probably behind the Syd lockout in the first place. Syd's growing distance from the Market meant he had to go if they were to draw the mainstream audience.

But arguably UmmaGumma - their first truly Syd less album - is the least mainstream work of their entire output. As for Nick Mason, he seems a likeable chap, but not really any kind of creative force within the Floyd. His drumming is competent but uninspired, and he hardly shares any composition credits at all. So I'm not surprised if his own personal motivations were perhaps a little different from the other group members.

Re the Animals Demos, both Raving and Drooling (Sheep) and You Gotta be Crazy (Dogs) were originally scheduled to be on what ended up as Wish You Were Here. You can find plenty of clips of the Floyd performing them live during their 1974 tours.

But arguably UmmaGumma - their first truly Syd less album - is the least mainstream work of their entire output.
Good point. They were definitely floundering to start with but they got there through perseverence and sheer pioneering spirit. UmmaGumma was part of the pathway to their later and ultimate works of creative genius.

Roger Waters talking about stuff. It's a good listen.

Back