• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Let There Be More Light: The Pink Floyd Thread

Apparently entitled, 'Nothing & Sons', is this the genesis of Echoes?
Pretty much. Echoes was made up of pieces of music titled Nothing part 1, 2 etc... Then worked on until it built up to a full piece. Hence its first live outings as "Return of the Son of Nothing".

The above track - part 14 - is the only early section they've officially released.

Destino is an animated short film released in 2003 by Walt Disney Feature Animation1. Destino is unique in that its production originally began in 1945, 58 years before its eventual completion in 2003. The project was originally a collaboration between Walt Disney and Spanish surrealist painter Salvador Dalí
...Which someone has set to Pink Floyd's Time...

Saw them twice - once at Knebworth when they were trying out a quadraphonic system, they did the whole of Echoes for an encore. And at the old (real) Wembley after Roger Waters had gone off on his own.

Saw them twice - once at Knebworth when they were trying out a quadraphonic system, they did the whole of Echoes for an encore. And at the old (real) Wembley after Roger Waters had gone off on his own.

I also saw them twice & was at the Knebworth gig too, also saw them the year before at Wembley Arena [not stadium] when they were doing Dark Side of the Moon.

The quadraphonic system wasn't great - you probably had to be bang in the middle of it to get the best effect. If you were sitting near one of the towers you'd get a great rush of sound which then moved round to the next tower as it circulated.

Not a bad lineup

1591961780645.png

For £2.75!

There's a site about it here with photos etc.

Great thread here, as a Cambridge boy and lifetime Pink Floyd fan I have really enjoyed watching the videos that many of you have linked in the posts.

These days I live in Kyiv and we don't get many decent bands including our city in their concert schedule. Back in 2018 however Brit Floyd came to town, I must admit I was a bit dubious at first thinking how dare they copy Pink Floyd.

After a bit of research I discovered that Damian Darlington, the main singer/guitarist in Brit Floyd used to be in the Australian Pink Floyd and that David Gilmour hired them to play at his birthday one year, this was enough pedigree for me so I went along to the concert along with the wife.

Brit Floyd were note perfect played for 2 1/2 hours and put on a great show. I can thoroughly recommend them should they come to a venue near you once this virus situation abates.

Here they are performing Time in HD so chrome cast it and play it loud.

I also saw them twice & was at the Knebworth gig too, also saw them the year before at Wembley Arena [not stadium] when they were doing Dark Side of the Moon.

The quadraphonic system wasn't great - you probably had to be bang in the middle of it to get the best effect. If you were sitting near one of the towers you'd get a great rush of sound which then moved round to the next tower as it circulated.

Not a bad lineup

View attachment 27142
For £2.75!

There's a site about it here with photos etc.
Apart from the Floyd that gig got me to like Steve Miller and Beefheart. I know that the latter is a bit marmite but I came to really appreciate him - Clear Spot is a great album.

Apart from the Floyd that gig got me to like Steve Miller and Beefheart. I know that the latter is a bit marmite but I came to really appreciate him - Clear Spot is a great album.

Clear Spot is firmly on my list of all time favourite albums. There's an extremely rough recording of the Beefheart Knebworth set on youtube.

Now back to Pink Floyd..

Sunday morning... perhaps appropriate for some church music...?

Pink Floyd "Celestial Voices" Rare Video

A Saucerful of Secrets
French TV, 1969

Pink Floyd - "Cymbaline" Live in 800 Year Old Church

15 June, 1971
Abbaye de Royaumont, France

Pink Floyd - 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' Live 1974

Although attributed as Wembley Stadium, in the comments, someone who was apparently there corrects this to be the Empire Pool, Wembley.

There is an accompanying introduction, which explains:

"Before the studio version of the song was released in 1975 on the, 'Wish You Were Here' album, the band had performed this 'unfamiliar song' live on stage for the audiences during the tour of '74" .

If remastered, the sound quality is fantastic, notably the Roger Waters bass lines and Dave Gilmour's 'crystal clear' guitar solo, with an unusual heavy echo, beginning at 3:35.

Although audio only, that might be for the best as there are no video distractions and it's all about the musical nuances of this early version, for example, I also note in the adjoining comments:

19:37 'Emily tries, but misunderstands'.

Just so good, I thought it worth a mention.

Tushar Lall’s arrangement of Wish You Were Here and Comfortably Numb (originally composed by Pink Floyd) on Indian Classical Instruments. This is his humble attempt to portray the power and versatility of Indian Classical instruments. This is a tribute to the original makers of this song - and we thank them for their incredible contribution to music.

I recently came across the following and wondered if maybe worth a mention. It rarely features and a composition (here, with accompanying animation) I had bever heard previously.

Wikipedia explains the background:

List of unreleased songs recorded by Pink Floyd

[...]

"Oenone"

A lengthy instrumental in the Zabriskie Point film, intended for a sex scene. Three takes were recorded (under the working titles "Love Scene No. 1", "No. 2" and "No. 3"), each somewhat different from the others, but all sharing the same eerie organ-and-guitar motif. The term "Oenone" refers to a Greek mythological character, namely the first wife of Paris of Troy. Early bootleg appearances list the song as "Oneone", sometimes thought to be a misspelling of the mythological character, but more likely a phonetic tip of the hat to Zabriskie Point's director Michelangelo Antonioni.

What follows is a miscellany of mostly early material I have bookmarked along the way.

Wishing to avoid any duplication, I have looked back through all previous posts and hope this has been achieved (no guarantees!).

Some of these videos may be familiar, some may not and in either event, I trust will be enjoyable.

I was particularly surprised how many of the early 'official' videos I hadn't seen before.

I didn't think we had music video in those days...

...................................................................................................

And that was so far as I had written earlier this morning.

At which point, decided it would be preferable posting each video in sequence of the song's release date.

So, I checked with Wikipedia and realised there was a major issue - something I had never previously thought about....

...the 'B' sides...

Then I noticed some of these I may never have heard, or if so, long forgotten...

Consequently, I decided to track down contemporary live footage of them all.

What I now have to offer is a mixture of both 'official' videos and concert film.

It transpired that the one song I rediscovered and which has such heartfelt memories of its time, is the only track without either an original video, or film of it performed live - if anyone knows otherwise then please...

That would be the hauntingly exquisite Julia Dream.

Instead, I discovered a live recording for BBC radio, which is a slightly different version and perfectly acceptable alternative.

When I heard this song again earlier and for the first time in what must be... dunno... 45 years?... it hit me so hard it was unexpectedly overwhelming.

There, in an instance, I was back with old pals from schooldays, my bedroom, 16th floor of Glasgow skyscraper flats, listening to Relics for the first time.

There's an old Glasgow phrase and to enquire if we would all have been completely and utterly stoned, 'is like asking if the Pope is a Catholic'.

Anyway, reminisces aside, we have the band's first five single releases, all dating from 1967.

As this is already rather longer than ever intended, I shall post them separately.

Arnold Lane
Candy and a Currant Bun

See Emily Play
The Scarecrow

Flaming
The Gnome

Apples and Oranges
Paintbox

Unearthed Floyd from 1967 - well, as a backing band!
Pink Floyd collectors will be very excited to learn that a recording, thought lost forever, featuring Pink Floyd as a backing band, has been found after many years. It will be available for auction on 16th October in Wessex, England at 12pm BST.

The recording is Early Morning Henry, the auction house is Wessex Auction House, the songwriter/artist is William “Billy” Butler and the backing band was none other than Pink Floyd.

It was recorded on 23rd October 1967 at Abbey Road Studios. The recording sheet is below showing Pink Floyd were recording Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun at the time.

https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/early-morning-henry-pink-floyd

Just bought a brand new copy of the Immersion special edition of Wish You Were Here for a fraction of the original price!

Only listened to the 5.1 and quad versions of Welcome to the Machine and all I can say is wow! There are a couple more Immersion sets available... I may go for them next month.

Here's a rather well-combined conglomeration of things you've already seen with a sprinkling of things you haven't. It's watchable for the most part.

Back