• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Digging Up Threads Of Fortean Excellence!

We didn't have a car when I was young, so any late night journeys were udertaken by bus or train, but I loved that feeling of a little community travelling together through the night. I only ever felt it when heading back towards home, though. On an outward bound journey the feeling was different somehow, so I'm guessing it had something to do with anticipating a cosy arrival at home after dark travels.

Thank you for reminding me of some of those older threads. There's some real oddness in them, thar hills. One of my favourites from long ago, was the interdimensional gas station.

Oh, also the ventriloquist dummy and his bottle of milk (i think it was called?) scary stuff.

Does anyone remember a thread (of was it a letter sent into FT?), in which a uni professor claimed to have taken some students to a quarry to look for fossils. The group see a small, strange creature and a flash of bright light which gave them all terrible headaches, and, iirc, lead to one of the group having a miscarriage. I've searched and searched and cant find a trace of it.

Does anyone remember a thread (of was it a letter sent into FT?), in which a uni professor claimed to have taken some students to a quarry to look for fossils. The group see a small, strange creature and a flash of bright light which gave them all terrible headaches, and, iirc, lead to one of the group having a miscarriage. I've searched and searched and cant find a trace of it.

Finding this story was driving me a bit mad, so I went through all my old back copies of FT to see if it was a letter rather than a thread. It was a letter. For anyone interested it was in FT283 in IHTM.

Finding this story was driving me a bit mad, so I went through all my old back copies of FT to see if it was a letter rather than a thread. It was a letter. For anyone interested it was in FT283 in IHTM.

I'm glad you located the source. I spent some time searching for anything even remotely similar to the scenario you described, but I never found anything close enough to suggest as a possible match here on the forum.

could you paraphrase more? any clue as to Institution?

could you paraphrase more? any clue as to Institution?

Sure :) The letter was titled "Dwarf with attitude" and was from a geology teacher called Jacqueline Riler, from Birmingham Uni. On 9th March 2011 she took a class of students to a local quarry (which isnt named), they spot a "strange looking individual... 4ft to 4ft 6inches tall, covered in darkish one piece garment". She goes on to say "...It pointed an object towards us, this object glowed red, then blue, then off-white..... Six students & I are reporting heavy headaches and trouble sleeping & concentrating since the event...... one student has mysteriously miscarried."

It so happened that during past few days, my newsfeed had suggested an above average range of material, coincidentally befitting the forum.

In highlighting some of the articles - particularly concerning archeology - noticed I was often, 'breathing life' into long dormant topics.

Also, when searching for the appropriate genre, there were sometimes a number of associated, latent threads which came up.

More than once, wondered why discussions on an interesting subject had abated years ago.

If you search for a topic of interest, might bring forth unexpected gems from forum antiquity. :)

A proverbial treasure trove herein.

Been spending some time there of late...

Screenshot_20200207_011754_compress47.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone needs cheering up they might read our Unwhinge thread in its entirety. Laughs and puns galore.

Example: I described being given a carrier bag full of raw turkey necks. Posters: Wattle you do with them? Gobble them down!
Well, it made me giggle again!

The thread about a 'We are with you' message appearing on TVs has put me in the mood for some spooky tv weirdness. Any suitable recommendations? (The search tells me TV is too common to be searched for)

Of course! I'd forgotten about that one- I think I might even have posted on it at some point! If I had a working memory I'd be dangerous :p Thanks!

As well as the second link I edited into my post after you saw it, there's also this one..

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/tv-broadcasts-from-the-future-phantom-websites.15348/

:)

I also forget I have posted on threads. I start reading something, think "ooh this is interesting" then am surprised to scroll down and discover I've already replied to it.

Last edited:
I also forget I have posted on threads. I start reading something, think "ooh this is interesting" then am surprised to scroll down and discover I've already replied to it.

I do this. I sometimes read something and think "what is this dribbling idiot on about?" and then realise it's me :(

I do this. I sometimes read something and think "what is this dribbling idiot on about?" and then realise it's me :(

For me it's usually a case of "oh, that's exactly what I was about to say... oh wait, I already did" :D

Or else you think 'Who posted THIS? It's BRILLIANT! That's EXACTLY what I would have - oh it's me.'

Edit ' just saw this and... great minds think alike!

Ironically, if not completely surprisingly, it was actually your second link I'd posted on. Not the first one. Lol.

Thanks again, they are both crackers

There's a spookiness in there somewhere ;)

And you're welcome, it was fun searching them out :)

Back