Let's Get To Know (and possibly see) Our Fellow Forteans

MercuryCrest

Justified & Ancient
We used to have a similar thread here....Feel free to ask questions of us all.

Things like:
-How do you pronounce your username?
-Where did your avatar come from?
-Why do I feel like I know you from a past life?
-And so on....

I'll start: Frideswide, how do you pronounce your own username? I pronounce it in my head "Fried-Es-Wide", but I'm guessing that that's wrong....

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
I'll start: Frideswide, how do you pronounce your own username
I'd always mentally translated it as being 'Freedes-videy'....am I anywhere close? Probably being too Latinate.

Perhaps I shouldn't, erm...intrude, with my theories, in general.

Though they might be true, for me, I don't think people should protect what they believe are their own sacred cows.

As an existential pixel-fixer, my avatar is a genderless, ageless bovine ninja/phantasm. Ermintrude was, and is evermore, a truly-aware creature, on that eternally-spinning world of The Magic Roundabout.

More people are killed every year by cows than are killed by sharks. Not out of malice: if ever, just from being over-protective. Or if in escape, to briefly evade the executioner that seeks to turn us into steak and shoes.

As a species, we cows possess immense power, deep intelligence, enormous responsibilities to provide eternal resources even unto death, and yet are respected by no-one. We exist, largely unseen, prisoners of society, in concentration camps that are built just behind fast-food resturants.

Beloved by all, and certain to fall.
Small, but perfectly-informed.
Doubtful, yet always trustworthy.
Never, ever, what, where or who You think.

Half the lies I tell are untrue.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
I'll start: Frideswide, how do you pronounce your own username? I pronounce it in my head "Fried-Es-Wide"
Frides-wide :D with a slight hesitation in the middle to be the ES lololol

hence my intimates call me Frides, or fridesy ;) Mind you, I'm under the impression that anyone who calls me Frides or Fridesy must be an intimate so that isn't diagnostic! :rofl:

@MercuryCrest are you really floating down a real Ganges?
My username is pronounced 'Mith-o-po-ik-uh'.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
And i apologise for calling Mythopoeika, Mythopedia and i always saw Frideswide as frieds wide, guess i may be wrong as well

Peripart

Antediluvian
I don't really know how my slightly-too-camp username should be pronounced. I appropriated it from a John Barnes book (not the World in Motion rapper, the other one), and I assume that the final "T" is not silent, but who knows?

My current avatar comes from a door I walked past in Oxford, via the camera on my old phone. The only previous one I recall using was taken from the cover of Roger Taylor's Fun in Space album - if you spot a member of an entirely unrelated forum using that image as their avatar, there's a slight possibility that it might be me...

And you don't know me from a past life. It was that other bloke, the one who looks a bit like me, and I was miles away when the unpleasantness happened.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Coal. As it sounds. Insert your own joke here about 'fossil fuels'. Ex-electronics design engineer ('ex' about 12 weeks) with poor physics degree. Current reading for MSc in Psychology. Occasional anarchist. Opposed to unearned privileges and something of a republican. Inclined to take no-one's word for it at all. Occasional fisherman and blogger. You're either learning or stagnating...is kind of my motto, today anyway.

The avatar is "Wade's Stone". I like Wade, he seems like a decent fellow and he could throw big rocks at people who got in his way.

I rather like it here.

Ringo

Sanitised for your protection
Can we also add a question:

Are you male or female? I sometimes get it wrong. As I read posts, I realise that i make assumptions about the author and then get all cofused when they mention their wife/husband etc.

So, I'm male.
I'm not sure how you pronounce Ringo normally as I only ever hear it screamed loudly, in the throws of ecstasy. I wish. It's pronounced just as you would think. As in, the drum-bashing, mop-haired, least popular Beatle.

Shady

Shady is also female and she is single and a cook in a Residential/dementia home, she likes cats and scifi also loves action films, without screaming. falling, pathetic women in them

Frideswide

Staff member
Shady is also female and she is single and a cook in a Residential/dementia home, she likes cats and scifi also loves action films, without screaming. falling, pathetic women in them
Frideswide likes and admires Shady :) I loved working in a dementia home - i was activities manager - and the food was SO important in people's quality of life. From burn's night suppers to offering someone a beautifully presented fairy cake for afternoon tea......

Frideswide

Staff member
My current avatar comes from a door I walked past in Oxford
is it off a narrow street running north from a main shopping street? on the west side of that street?

Shady

Frideswide likes and admires Shady :) I loved working in a dementia home - i was activities manager - and the food was SO important in people's quality of life. From burn's night suppers to offering someone a beautifully presented fairy cake for afternoon tea......
You are correct, it is important, and i love to cook, tomorrow i will be doing a homemade shepherds pie with cheese and tomato topping, with chips and garden peas, or fish cake chips and peas, and for pudding is a homemade mince pie with almond custard :D Anyone wanna come ? :p

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Ever since the great critic Anne Billson pointed out that most women in action movies are there to be kidnapped, I notice it every time I watch one.

Anyway, Gee-En-See, Eric the cowardly loudmouth from the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon, if I was on Earth in a past life I would never have come back, and male.

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Anyway, Gee-En-See, Eric the cowardly loudmouth from the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon, if I was on Earth in a past life I would never have come back, and male.
So, GNC...you have been identifying yourself as a king-sized canary for some years now. Care to explain?
(I'm assuming, of course, that you are not actually a giant bird) ;)

As for myself-
1.Oo-la-loom (intoned, preferably, in James Mason's voice. :p)

2.Francesca Woodman
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesca_Woodman

3.I have spent many lifetimes as that nosy neighbor who's always up in y'alls business.

4.Female.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
I'm female, love reading about the unexplained and mysteries. I like sci fi movies and talking or listening to people. If I am asked to help I make suggestions.
I have 2 married daughters with lovely husbands and one daughter who lives with me.
My oldest granddaughter has just been accepted into Law.