• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Let's Play 'TOP THIS!'

rynner said:
Creamstick1 said:
One particularly strong memory takes place on Hogmanay - every year the electricity on our street would go out for a few hours. I can clearly remember going to ask our upstairs neighour for some candles, and floating back down the stairs - I'd jump from the top (stone steps about 12ft high), and at the moment I'd reach the apogee of the jump, slow my descent and land softly at the bottom.
There's a whole thread on this -
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1313

I've done that but have never considered it to be fortean.

SameOldVardoger said:
We'll send a team round to investigate you right away! 8)

SameOldVardoger said:

In that case, may we inquire as to what you considered it to be?

I'd like to thank everyone who has come out and played in this thread. I'd like to invite the lurkers to join in. You don't have to have a lot of Fortean events to post. Heck, start with, "I've seen a flying saucer..." and let the next person one up the ante. :) Let's make this the best and longest running thread in the forum. After all, we're all here for a reason, right? I know everyone has at least ONE story to tell. And everyone is waiting to hear it. :D

OldTimeRadio said:
SameOldVardoger said:

I think I might have formulated myself slightly wrong. English is not exactly my first language.

It's more that I have never thought about it. I remembered this floating thing now after reading about it in this thread. At the time I didn't think of it as a weird thing for some reason. Thinking about it now, it probably is something which the brain experiences as floating.

Hi everyone, I guess I will add some too;
1) When I was very young..2 or 3 I had an "old hag" experience. ( I think) Being that young I thought she was a "witch"..the stereotypical big nose, scraggly hair , she was saying awful things to me.
2) I have seen 2 shadow creatures, I don't know what else to call them.
3) I have heard a mans voice in my house when only my daughter and I were home...and she heard it twice at the same time as me so I know i'm not crazy.
4) I have seen a man, with a baseball cap on, walk past my livingroom window. It was winter and there was snow on the ground, when I went out to check there was no footprints.
5) One time my daughter and I came home from town and it was dark. As we pulled into the driveway we both noticed the light on in my son's room. Thinking he was home i came in and went to his room...the light was off and he wasn't there.
6) My daughter had a pet guinea pig that lived in a huge 55 gallon aquarium. This aquarium was on a wooden stand so it was quite heavy...one day she tried to open the door to her room and somehow it had been shoved over to where it was blocking the door. She had been in there only minutes earlier.
7) At one period in my life i was very depressed. One night i was just sitting on the couch alone late at night feeling very sorry for myself, when something squeezed my shoulder and held on for at least a minute.I wasn't sure how to take that one.. whether it was saying "i'm here you will be OK" or if it was more like "haha I have you and I wont leave"..I just sat there frozen till it stopped.
8) Living in Nevada I have seen strange lights in the skies as well.

I have had a few more minor weird things happen as well, but I won't bore y'all with them all. Cool thread I am enjoying reading everyones experiences.

SameOldVardoger said:
OldTimeRadio said:
SameOldVardoger said:

I think I might have formulated myself slightly wrong. English is not exactly my first language.

It's more that I have never thought about it. I remembered this floating thing now after reading about it in this thread. At the time I didn't think of it as a weird thing for some reason. Thinking about it now, it probably is something which the brain experiences as floating.

I'm not so sure.
I remember as a kid being asleep one minute and then at the top of the stairs the next. I'd jump off the top stair and very slowly float down and land in the hallway. It was all very slow motion. The reason I suspect it wasn't merely a brain thing was that I'd then walk around the rooms downstairs which were empty and the lights were off. As a little kid with early bedtimes, I never really saw the house unlit.

I did this for a while and at one point went outside and sat on the roof. I suspect that going to school helped me unlearn this ability.

NevadaNightOwl said:
6) My daughter had a pet guinea pig that lived in a huge 55 gallon aquarium. This aquarium was on a wooden stand so it was quite heavy...one day she tried to open the door to her room and somehow it had been shoved over to where it was blocking the door. She had been in there only minutes earlier.

Good stories! But how big was the guinea pig to need a 55 gallon aquarium?! If it fitted snugly in there it could have moved the structure by itself!

6) My daughter had a pet guinea pig that lived in a huge 55 gallon aquarium. This aquarium was on a wooden stand so it was quite heavy...one day she tried to open the door to her room and somehow it had been shoved over to where it was blocking the door. She had been in there only minutes earlier

I hope it could swim!! :)

volfie said:
I'd like to thank everyone who has come out and played in this thread. I'd like to invite the lurkers to join in. You don't have to have a lot of Fortean events to post. Heck, start with, "I've seen a flying saucer..." and let the next person one up the ante. :) Let's make this the best and longest running thread in the forum. After all, we're all here for a reason, right? I know everyone has at least ONE story to tell. And everyone is waiting to hear it. :D
It's an excellent thread Volfie. Pay no heed to the jaded "forteans" who deride it. Everyone has had experiences we can't explain. It's the fact that we can't explain them that makes them interestingly fortean. It doesn't mean we all believe in whatever fluffy-bunny nonsense explanation is going, it means we have experienced things we find interesting and worth sharing. It's what this board is about.

volfie said:

Thing is, it looks as though most people who've got one story to tell actually have far more than one, covering a myriad of phenomena. I think we ought to share the experiences out more fairly, one apiece. That would sort out any scepticism.

I've experienced:

Timeslip (at Waterloo station)
2 x sightings of ghosts: grandmother, one in a cemetery, plus a few auditory experiences
Cigar shaped UFO back in the 70s, along with a bunch of other people
Oppressive presence in a converted stable block
One very boring precognitive dream about a Kim Wilde autograph

But I'm still not convinced these things exist.

gncxx said:
NevadaNightOwl said:

Good stories! But how big was the guinea pig to need a 55 gallon aquarium?! If it fitted snugly in there it could have moved the structure by itself!

Hehe..he was normal size for his kind. I used to have salt water fish...failed miserably at that so I let my daughter convert it to a home for her piggy "TBear".

Hmm...nothing very impressive

1. Seen an ABC on Dartmoor
2. Seen a UFO (but not in detail, it was literally a UFO in that I could not be certain what it was and it moved unusually. This was also at age 13 when I was in my X-Files phase.)
3. Felt my dead rabbit brush against me as if climbing up my jumper like her used to.
4. Felt a "presence" in a couple of places
5. Not strictly paranormal, but I had a scary sleep paralysis experience once

My husband has a much better list, he saw one of those "black stick men",some weird stuff when messing about doing seances and some very scary moving toys that should not have been moving independently in his parents' house as a child.

I had a couple of things, and all after I came to live in this country.
1) landphone ringing itself, at about seven in the morning.
2) TV switching itself on, twice. It was an old TV, from the 80's.
3) Teddy Bear moving on its own accord (Unless it was my husband's prank, but he never said it was)
My husband, on the other hand had the lot :!: :
First, the mildest. At seventeen was ghosthunting and slept in a cemetary, very deeply as it was alcool induced. There was a strange mist around him.
The day his mum passed away, he was driving a bit recklessly and as he was going to crash into something, an unexplainable force stopped the engine and saved his life. Then, the car started again. He's an engineer and knows what is he talking about.
Later, he saw ABCs driving around the White Horse Area, in OXON, and in the same place, a night in winter, a strange light.
Better, still, the first time we went to Australia and in a British Airway plane, for a long time, the air hostess told him 'Hello Mr C... Happy to see you again here ! You are back to visit Australia' or something like that !
As he is quite on the superstitious side (You understand why), I didn't tell him about Poltergeists, as it could have spooked him.) :shock:

AsamiYamazaki said:
I've experienced:

Timeslip (at Waterloo station)
2 x sightings of ghosts: grandmother, one in a cemetery, plus a few auditory experiences
Cigar shaped UFO back in the 70s, along with a bunch of other people
Oppressive presence in a converted stable block
One very boring precognitive dream about a Kim Wilde autograph

OOooh a timeslip I so wanna hear it
{can't decide if I want to hear the Kim Wilde one or not but I did used to like her in the 80s}

Sarah_P said:
My husband has a much better list, he saw one of those "black stick men",some weird stuff when messing about doing seances...

Oooh, *interested* could your husband come on and tell us about those, or would you relay them, if he didn't mind discussing them?
Thanks. :)

akaWiintermoon said:
Sarah_P said:
My husband has a much better list, he saw one of those "black stick men",some weird stuff when messing about doing seances...

Oooh, *interested* could your husband come on and tell us about those, or would you relay them, if he didn't mind discussing them?
Thanks. :)

Me too... Could someone tell me what "abc's" are?

NevadaNightOwl said:

I believe them to be Alien Big Cats. Not alien as in ufos' (Though the phenomina has been seen together.) but in their placing. Like a Lynnx being seen in England, not a natural place for it to be! Hope that helps. :)

Btw, Sarah, sorry OT but I finnaly figured out where your avatar is from, Ginger Snaps the begining right?

akaWiintermoon said:
NevadaNightOwl said:

I believe them to be Alien Big Cats. Not alien as in ufos' (Though the phenomina has been seen together.) but in their placing. Like a Lynnx being seen in England, not a natural place for it to be! Hope that helps. :)

Btw, Sarah, sorry OT but I finnaly figured out where your avatar is from, Ginger Snaps the begining right?

Hehe, yeah. To the others, I will try to convince hubby to dictate it to me, he's told me before but I can't remember it in detail.

SameOldVardoger said:
rynner said:
Creamstick1 said:
One particularly strong memory takes place on Hogmanay - every year the electricity on our street would go out for a few hours. I can clearly remember going to ask our upstairs neighour for some candles, and floating back down the stairs - I'd jump from the top (stone steps about 12ft high), and at the moment I'd reach the apogee of the jump, slow my descent and land softly at the bottom.
There's a whole thread on this -
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1313

I thought everything was floating on Hogmanay - y'all have it in Sweden? :_pished:

akaWiintermoon said:

Great movie eh? It was shot around Toronto and it reminds me of Dave Cronenberg's, who also works around T.O., earlier gore fests like The Fly.

Okay, we can't let this thread die, c'mon, don't expand on just one story, Expand on all-where were the UFO's-ABC's-Ghosts?

cpepinc said:
Okay, we can't let this thread die, c'mon, don't expand on just one story, Expand on all-where were the UFO's-ABC's-Ghosts?
Already posted in other threads, probably.....

ive really only got a few:

i had an action figure thrown (with somr force) at me while home alone as a child.

ive seen a few ufos (unconfirmed - could have been anything, i suppose)

had a few precognitive dreams (i dreamed in great detail the first few levels of super mario bros 3 well before it came out. kinda lame, yeah, but very weird when i got the game)

felt dead cats get into bed with me (not multiple cats at a time, but different ones on different occasions - i could tell them apart because they had very distinctive ways of getting onto my bed)

ive seen what ill call fairies for lack of a better terms. and a few other things.

had hundreds of streetlights go on or off as i walk under. i mean high hundreds. its calmed down lately, but it still happens at least once a week.

lost and gained time (the lost is similar to any story of lost time. as for gained: i was with some friends and we checked the time because someone had to leave at a specific time. it was definitely 3:00. we even checked on the tv weather channel to be sure, cause we couldnt believe it was still so early. we went outside, played some hackey sack, sat around and talked for a while, and when we went in to check the time, it was a few minutes before the last time we checked, again even on the tv)

and been followed by a disembodied pair of headlights (it was daylight and they came closer than i needed to clearly see there was no car attached to them, or even two motorcycles. scared the hell out of me, but they just turned off onto a side road.)

i... think i just gave myself the creeping horrors. i didnt think there were really that many.

I'm liking the disembodied headlamps story! Could they have been a kind of remote control device? I don't know what, though.

Ihonna said:
Later, he saw ABCs driving around the White Horse Area, in OXON, and in the same place, a night in winter, a strange light.

Wow, you'd think without thumbs cats wouldn't be able to even start a car :D

Back