• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Let's Play 'TOP THIS!'

I'd guess one of the members of your family lobbed the chop as a joke.. maybe they'd just seen "Poltergeist" with the very disturbing chop scene.....

adamantius410 said:
ladysixxx said:
Pork CHOP sorry.

Now, by ay chance does your family own a large cat? I'm envisioning some small, hairy family member jumping up on the dining table and onto the edge of a plate, catapulting (no pun intended) a pork [something] into the air and into the next room, and everybody's attention being attracted by the sound at the same time.

First thing I thought of, too: cat out sight stalking pork chop.

Don't think I can top many of the previous posters, but here goes anyway.

1- Seen several UFO's, including what looked like a huge worm appearing over the Humber estuary.

2- I've heard or seen all of my deceased cats.

3- Watched an ashtray move around on a pub table all by itself.

4- Had an odd experience involving a childs hairband and a cheese sandwich.

TheCavynaut, tell us more about the hair band and the cheese sandwich! - I'm intrigued!

Basically, I'd made myself a cheese sandwich, left it on a plate in the kitchen while I took two cups of coffee into the living room for me and my wife. I went back into the kitchen and was surprised to see a childs hair band sitting on top of my sandwich! It couldn't have fallen from anywhere as there was nowhere for it to fall from. I wondered if one of my cats had perhaps been playing with it and had flicked it up in the air, but both cats were asleep in the living room.

Writing this has reminded me of a couple of other things about our kitchen. A few months ago, my eldest daughter claims that she saw a small boy in the kitchen who vanished before her eyes. And my wife and I once heard a strange howling noise from the kitchen.

Ok...nothing out of the ordinary, well, obviously out of the ordinary(!) but not for here...

-I lived in a haunted house until I was 4 -I don't remember anything spooky but my family (and friends and relatives) all experienced different phenomena.

-Whilst living at above house, and for a few years after I moved, I also had floating down stairs dreams -more like leaping down 15 steps at a time, but with a floaty kind of control. Always based in the stairwell from the first house (flat) to the street.

-When I was about 5 or 6, I awoke to see a large shadow of the 'devil's fork' (as I called it) on my bedroom wall. I ran through and slept in my parent's bed.

-I heard a male voice clearly say my name. With only me in the room (well apart from the hamster, and I'm certain it wasn't him). :)

-I (and 3 others) witnessed a wine glass fly off a shelf -not topple, or slide -it was actually propelled somehow. (this was in a theatre upper circle bar, where I worked -it is reputed to be haunted anyway)

-I had a weird episode of sleep paralysis combined with a very lucid dream. Obviously all explainable, but totally freaked me out at the time.

-I picked up the phone to call my sister, dialed the number and held the phone to my ear. Without any rings, I could hear my sister saying, 'hello? hello?'. It transpired that she phoned me, and before the telephone had a chance to ring, I picked it up to call her. Again, not fortean really, but a weird coincidence nonetheless.

OK, am plumbing the depths here....if anything else springs to mind....

I spoke to my eldest daughter about her sighting earlier this evening. Turns out that the boy was looking in through the kitchen window, nd was not actually in the kitchen.

My wife and my three daughters have all experienced odd things in this house,..they've seen figures, heard movement, and had objects thrown at them. Strange thing is, they seem to accept it as fairly normal, if a little unnerving.

Some fabulous experiences here, I've just been reading through them all.

My own are rather weak compared to others, but have still left a lasting impression on me.

I always think of my childhood as quite detached from reality, like I was more connected to "other things" but slowly lost contact with that as I got older...I guess a lot of people might say that kind of thing but I truly felt the world was larger and more interesting than meets the eye. I still do, but I don't feel it's as easy to contact that side of the world these days...

I used to frequently hear my name called when lying in bed by a male voice (quite close, ie: it would need to be by someone standing next to the bed). I guess you could chalk it up to a waking dream scenario but I clearly remember one night, I must've been around 10 or so, having only just turned the light off and hearing it very loudly and clearly, so much that I froze in fright. I definitely wasn't asleep or even feeling that sleepy (that I recall, anyway).

I used to suffer quite badly from insomnia when I was younger (from a very young age til around age 12) and used to experience all kinds of strange things whilst being awake and alone in the middle of the night...as above, I suppose some of these could be attributed to dream-connected experiences but some of these certainly took place when I was walking around and otherwise wide awake: outlines of dark figures walking around, a goblin-esque face appearing above my bed and most frequently of all, the NOISES. So many...especially laughing. I used to hear whispering, giggling and laughing almost constantly when sitting in my bedroom at night - it would generally only stop when I'd yell out for my mother of father to come. I seemed to get the impression it was just outside my window, as if beckoning me to come outside and join the fun...but it terrified the bejesus out of me. I've gone over the possibilities a number of times of what it'd could've been (neighbourhood kids having a laugh etc.) but nothing really makes enough sense to be convincing. This happened a lot, almost every night for a while, and there's no place for anyone to have been where I would've heard them etc.

After my high-school best friend committed suicide, I saw him in a dream...the usual spiel "it felt different to usual dream", etc. Not much to say, we didn't say a word to each other that I recall...I found myself in a city-type area, lots of fog, he appeared in front of me and we walked around in silence until he departed again. I felt very comforted by it at the time, though - I can't be sure if there were things said I've forgotten (or was meant to forget) but I definitely can't remember a single word being spoken. Could've been a regular old dream but it felt very different and I'll never believe otherwise.

Strangest experience of my adult life was something that happened with my wife when house-sitting her parents house while they were overseas. I came out of the bathroom and walked down the hallway towards the bedroom and started a conversation with my wife who I'd assumed was in the bedroom at the time; I could clearly see the light shining underneath the half-closed door into the otherwise dark hallway and I could hear general "person moving about" noises. She and I were talking as I approached the bedroom door (I can't recall about what), and as I pushed open the bedroom door, fully expecting to see my wife pottering around, I found the room suddenly thrown into darkness and completely empty.

As I recall, I actually screamed out loud which caused my wife to come running from the other end of the house (where she actually was the whole time, cooking dinner in the kitchen) to see what the hell had happened to me. Once I'd calmed down, I confirmed with her that she hadn't been talking to me (in fact, she hadn't even heard me leave the bathroom and walk down the hallway) and in no way could she have been tricking me. The voice I heard was definitely hers talking back to me, and the light was also clearly on in the bedroom as I walked down the long, unlit hallway...I can't recall for the life of me what we were talking about now. I wish I could, but I doubt it was much of interest either - asking about what was for dinner, etc. I assume.

A very odd and unsettling experience...I've perhaps thought I fell into an alternate reality for a minute or two, only be thrust back into this one upon opening the bedroom door. Who knows...but it was very strange.

Wish I had more to add...I've had a lifelong interest in UFO's but can never recall ever seeing anything I could definitely class as unusual in the sky. That'd be one thing I'd love to see one day, just to be 100% sure...

Oh - I've just remembered one more. One morning, in our old flat (this would've been around 2004), I was sitting on the computer in the spare room. I heard our cat come about halfway up the stairs, stop and meow. Nothing all that unusual about that until a male voice replied "what?", the cat meowed again and the voice repeated again, this time sounding a little annoyed, "what?!". I've then come running out of the room to the stairs to find...my cat and nobody else. Very odd. I honestly thought I'd surprised a burglar in mid-burgle from what I recall but of course, nobody was there.

reversereverb said:
A very odd and unsettling experience...I've perhaps thought I fell into an alternate reality for a minute or two, only be thrust back into this one upon opening the bedroom door.

I wonder whether you fall partially asleep easily and don't know it. Many of your incidents sound like a mix of dream material and reality.

Great stories! Thanks.

ElishevaBarsabe said:
reversereverb said:
A very odd and unsettling experience...I've perhaps thought I fell into an alternate reality for a minute or two, only be thrust back into this one upon opening the bedroom door.

I wonder whether you fall partially asleep easily and don't know it. Many of your incidents sound like a mix of dream material and reality.

Great stories! Thanks.

I suppose that's possible.

I was certainly up and walking around at the time this happened, though - I believe I'd just come out of the shower and was walking towards the bedroom, though I guess I could've drifted off into a sort of "waking sleep". Hard to know, though.

Speaking of sleep walking, I've done my fair share of that too - but less in the last five years or so. Once, my wife found me in the shower, water running, at around 3am...that was probably the highlight, heh. If I could do that without realising, it made me quite frightened of what else I might do (try to walk down the stairs, try to walk onto the road etc.) but thankfully nothing like that's ever happened (and where we live now doesn't have stairs...).

OK, let's restart with a slightly different question:

What's the oldest man-made object you've seen recently?

Today I saw the Rhind Papyrus, which dates from 1600 BC, at the Royal Cornwall Museum! (It's thought to be a copy of an even older document.)
Masters of Mathematics
The Rhind Mathematical Papyrus of Ancient Egypt

The Rhind Mathematics Papyrus is the most extensive mathematical source book surviving from ancient Egypt. It is not a theoretical essay but a series of practical problems encountered by Egyptians in everyday life. It contains eighty four problems concerned with numerical operations, practical problems solving and geometric shapes.

Using practical mathematics and ancient scripts from everyday situations visitors can learn about Egyptian society and way of life.

The papyrus forms the centrepiece of an exhibition that include fascinating artefacts from our own collection as well as other museums in the South West.

The papyrus is on loan courtesy of the British Museum's Partnership UK scheme, supported through the generosity of the Dorset Foundation and the Golsoncott Foundation.

26th July - 11th October

http://www.visitcornwall.com/site/whats ... us-p622663
More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhind_Papyrus

The dig hasn't got down to the really old layers at Gault yet, but some of the artifacts I was washing a couple of weeks ago were probably four to five thousand years old. I believe we've got some holes down as far as 8,000 YBP, but I'm not sure I've seen any of that lately, haven't been able to go out much.

I'm supposed to be in the lab right now, but I didn't dare drive this morning. Damn vertigo...

reversereverb, when you see your first UFO, you will be blown away. I saw mine a few years ago, and the delight and ecstacy you feel is incredible.

Ghosts, ectoplasm, haunting

Similarly, I have a single event to relate & feel awed by all you 'talented' people, I'm keen to relate a haunted-house classic: I lived in an old farmhouse 45 miles from Brisbane, Queensland. All the sharers I lived with mentioned that there was a presence, benign but spooky, in the house. Due to domestic disharmony, changing circumstances etc, everyone moved out and I was quite happy there, on top of a lonely hill, in my 'Last Resort'. When I watched TV something often drew my attention down the passage, as if a flicker in the corner of my eye. I have never had any kind of spooky experience, but entertained the idea that something was present, if only visible to the peripheral vision. One day I moved a heavy kitchen bench, to eradicate what I'd found to be a rats' nest. I cleaned up under it and moved it through 90 degrees. A few days later, on a still country evening, in warm mild sub-tropical weather, I was preparing food at this bench, and a white 'sheet' drew past me, accompanied by an absolutely freezing draught. It touched my face and front, to the extent that I drew back sharply, gasping in the icy chill. Now, there was nothing visible, no sound. I checked the doors and windows: closed. I stood there and simply spoke to the air: 'Message received. But, sorry, the bench stays where it is!' I never had any odd happenings again.

volfie said:
I'd like to thank everyone who has come out and played in this thread. I'd like to invite the lurkers to join in... :D

Hey there. I',m a lurker ( :D ) and I've had some interesting experiences:
1. My dad had always been looking for the rare book "Old Jules". It is a first hand account of my great great aunt (on my dad's side) and the story of her father Jules's life with the Indians in early America. He told me of this when I was about 11 I think, and told me he'd never been able to find it. I remembered the title and author (my ancestor) just in case I ever saw the book so I could tell him about it.
Fast forward a few years and it hadn't been brought up again.
Then I distinctly remember one day driving with my mom home from church and stopping at a stoplight. While there I got the most intense feeling that the book was somewhere around this area! I simply KNEW it was! Very distinct and positive feeling. I started looking around and noticed a new shop I had never seen before that was selling used and rare books! I told my mom that the book Old Jules was there in that shop and we needed to stop and get it for dad. Bless her heart, she humored me and turned into the parking lot. I excitedly jumped out of the car, not even waiting on her, and ran into the shop. I started scanning shelves and lo and behold: There it was! I remenber how strange I felt to have suddenly KNOWN that this rare item was around. She soon came into the shop and was just amazed that I was standing there holding the long sought for autobiography. My dad sure enjoyed his Easter present that year!

2.)I was about 25 and staying for the weekend at my parents home. I tend to sleep with my head in the covers, and in the morning My mom come into the room to wake me up as she normally doen when I visit. I lay there not wanting to leave the warm covers for a few minutes, then finally emerged from my coccoon...Only to find it was still pitch black and not morning tome at all!!!! :shock: What the? I was very confused, but got up anyway and went upstairs. No lights were on in the house. I peeked into my parents bedroom in case my mom needed me and had just gone back into their room. Nope. Silent except for my parent's light snores. I looked at the clock and it was 3:30 in the morning. There was no way anyone would've woken me up at that point. Then I started thinking: I hadn't actually heard my mom say anything as she had allegedly come into the room, or seen her for that matter since I'd had my head under the covers. Was it really her afterall? I was absolutely positive SOMEONE had come into the room but I didn't feel the least bit threatened by whoever had come into the room and woken me up. It felt totally normal and serene-caring actually. I stayed up for maybe half an hour or so to listen to the noises of the house, and wondering what the hell had just happened. Then I went back to sleep. I told everyone in the house about it the next day and everyone denied having gone downstairs. Hmm. A most curious and distinct event.

3.) The next time I spent the night at my parents house was maybe a month or so later. By then I had convinced myself that I had been visited by a spirit or ghost the last time I was there, and was laying in bed praying that nothing strange would happen this time, when at that very moment I felt someone blow right into my ear from maybe 2 inches away :shock: (I could feel the wind and hear their breath, but I was completely alone in the middle of the room!) The hairs went up all over my body and I immediately froze in shock and closed my eyes scared of what I may see if they were opened! A minute or so later I found the courage to move and burried myself under the covers like a scared child!!! Hee hee.. Crazy, but I swear it really happened!! The next time I was there I heard knocking on the walls, so I spoke outloud to the room and said that I wasn't afraid of whoever was "hanging out" here, but I'm really tired and would like to sleep undisturbed. No problems since. That was 4 years ago.

There have been a few more things that have happened to me, but none as distinct as these occurances. :D

...wow. That's a long first post...

Hey, I own that book! It's a 50th anniversary edition paperback.

Welcome to the board.

Really? Mari Sandoz would be so proud.
Thanks for the warm welcome, PeniG! :D

lumpkinfig said:
3.) The next time I spent the night at my parents house was maybe a month or so later. By then I had convinced myself that I had been visited by a spirit or ghost the last time I was there, and was laying in bed praying that nothing strange would happen this time, when at that very moment I felt someone blow right into my ear from maybe 2 inches away :shock: (I could feel the wind and hear their breath, but I was completely alone in the middle of the room!) The hairs went up all over my body and I immediately froze in shock and closed my eyes scared of what I may see if they were opened! A minute or so later I found the courage to move and burried myself under the covers like a scared child!!! Hee hee.. Crazy, but I swear it really happened!!

Are you sure it wasn't an insect? Sometimes a pesky fly can try to investigate people's ears.

Well of course anything is possible...but it felt and sounded distinctly like someone puffing air into my ear from just a few inches away.
Eh, we may never know. :roll:

Good evening from Southern California,

I have had a few paranormal (or what could be classed as such) experiences that I feel are worth sharing.

1) On vacation in Maui when I was about seven years old or so, my family and I were touring an old sugar cane plantation that offered a train ride that spanned the premises, an expanse of vibrant colored sugar cane fields juxtaposed against a saturated blue sky and tufts of cottony clouds. At a certain point on this train ride, we passed what appeared to be an old tree with one of its large, main limbs missing, appearing to have been sawed neatly off- flat against the trunk. On this portion of the tree, where the naked diameter of the limb lay exposed upon the trunk, I saw (who I thought then) to be Christ's face, gazing Heaven-ward and wearing the same tortured expression he is often depicted as having in paintings of the crucifix. The striking thing about this supposed-Christ image on the tree, though, was that his skin was a dark blue, the exact color that the Hindu god Vishnu is depicted as being. I vividly recall pointing out this "vision" to my parents, and though the tree with the image was in wide view of the train (I mean WIDE as in this train was chugging merrily along BARELY faster than walking-speed and the tree, in all of its unobstructed glory, could hardly have been more than a few feet away from the train) they, along with everyone else on the train seemed not to have perceived it at all.

2) Some time later, when I was in my early years of high school, I was body-boarding on Waikiki-- floating lazily on warm crystal clear waters under the wide expanse of an azure sky, waiting in vain for a marginally-sized wave to come in and carry me to shore. Being that the waves merely rolled passively under my board, I remember spending a lot of time just floating and waiting-- sharing that stretch of ocean with other body boarders and surfers who similarly waited and watched anxiously for the approach of waves from the horizon. Suddenly, from a couple feet or so away from me, a long, snake-like object LEAPT out of the water, folded over upon itself, plunged back into the water and slithered quickly into the refuge of the coral reef that covered the ocean floor. I turned, wide-eyed to the person next to me, a man in his mid-thirties it would seem, who looked at me with a look of disbelief and exclaimed "Holy shit! What was that?!" I shook my head that I didn't know either and scanned the coral reef for any evidence of the creature's whereabouts, but to no avail. The serpent must have been about six foot and moved so fast that I could discern no features other than it was pitch black and slimey-looking, like an eel about the diameter of a garden hose its entire length. It leapt straight into the air, for no apparent reason, and upon plunging back into the shallow tropical waters (depth could not have been more than six feet or so) rapidly "wriggled" its way through the water with horizontal undulations of its body.

3) I witnessed another sea serpent, though this time much closer to home and about a year or two later, one evening in late summer at San Clemente beach in Southern California. After a long day spent at the beach, I revelled in the final light that spilled over the horizon from the sun that dipped below it and watched the waves crest and fall in the dying twilight. After everything around me began to take on a gray sheen, interrupted only by the fringes of deep orange that kissed the edge of the shoreline, but long before my visibility was impaired, I saw something darting and dancing amongst the waves. As each wave crested and curled inward towards the sand, I saw a long, thin, serpentine creature dart quickly and fluidly through the face of the wave. The creature was definitely an aquatic creature by nature, judging by its fluency at gliding just beneath the surface of the water and the speed at which it moved. As it passed effortlessly through the waves, submerging and then reappearing, it would raise its serpentine neck up about a foot and a half out of the water, quizzically turning its head from side to side as if surveying unfamiliar surroundings before plunging itself back into the water. I recall that the width of its head contrasted the thinness of its body sharply and the silhouette of its features looked decidedly amphibian, most notably the protruding eyes, when viewed head-on. The most compelling aspect of this sighting was that on several instances after it dove, it would be visible just under the surface of the water in the face of a cresting wave, moving with beautifully flowing, rapid undulations, a fluency I can only describe as the grace of an animal immersed in its natural environment. Seeing such an unexpected creature at that moment in time, in a rapidly fading monochrome world, and being the only one in my party to have seen it on a populated beach was truly a surreal experience.

Though that's all for now, I am still young and I know that my passage through this intoxicating life and this fascinating world will produce more first-hand experiences that I will someday be able to share with others as truly wondrous moments that punctuated the perceived equilibrium of reality.

GKI

ghostkissedivory said:
Good evening from Southern California,

I have had a few paranormal (or what could be classed as such) experiences that I feel are worth sharing.

Thank you for sharing those stories. Aquatic serpents, eh? I live on the north coast of California -- too cold here for such goings on.

Hello fellow Californian :D

Too cold for sea serpents in northern CA? I certainly hope not-- if I recall correctly, two brothers supposedly had numerous sightings of serpents[s?] in San Francisco. Now whether or not there is any veracity to such claims is beyond my scope of recollection, but then again any certainty in the realm of that which we hold to be Fortean would certainly take the magic out of the mystery, would it not? I read these claims from the brothers themselves on another site devoted to cryptozoology several years ago so please forgive if my recollection is fuzzy.
Well, I digress and I wish you fortune in your pursuits of all things Fortean.
I apologize if you discussed this previously, but have you had any paranormal experiences, especially those that would be of regional interest to Californians?
Thank you for taking the time to respond Elsheva -- talk soon.

ghostkissedivory

ghostkissedivory said:
Hello fellow Californian :D

I apologize if you discussed this previously, but have you had any paranormal experiences, especially those that would be of regional interest to Californians?
Thank you for taking the time to respond Elsheva -- talk soon.

ghostkissedivory

Oh, I've subscribed to these boards for quite some time, so I won't repeat incidents here.

Hadn't heard the serpents in San Francisco story, tho.

Last week I was beginning to think I was going peculiar. I was visiting my friend's house ( where both of us have heard and seen a few odd things) when I saw a bone coloured car come up the drive and go further up past the curtains. I said to my friend "Eric must have come home for his lunch". So we waited and then finally went out and there was nothing there.
Yesterday I dropped in again and as I was sitting on the couch my left hand felt something hard in the crease of the seat and I fished out a key. My friend was really surprised as she vacuums there all the time as she sometimes minds her grandaughter.
Her partner said that it was the key to a wardrobe his Father had had and had been missing for years. He also said his Father had had a bone coloured car and his was silver.
As this was happening I smelled this very sweet perfume but neither of them were wearing any.

I've been inside the Great Pyramid with only three friends, no other visitors and no guide or supervision.

Alas, it was not by night. It was 45⁰c outside and lord knows how hot inside; I was dripping wet when we left.

And no 'Napoleonic experience' occurred.

I've been inside the Great Pyramid with only three friends, no other visitors and no guide or supervision.

Alas, it was not by night. It was 45⁰c outside and lord knows how hot inside; I was dripping wet when we left.

Napoleonic experience? What's that?

Did you get chance to climb mount Sinai at night? I've never seen so many stars.

Back