• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Levitating / Flying Within A Dream

Thank goodness there are some other feeble flyers out there ! I sort of drift about aimlessly looking for open doors or windows as someone removes all the handles when I'm not looking.
Having re-read that it seems rather pathetic, must try harder tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never, ever had a flying dream where I am the one doing the actual flapping of wings or soaring or whatever. I have only flown in my dreams in a jet plane on one or two occasions and during both occasions the plane I was in was in extreme danger of crashing...one dream had me somehow within the burned out shell of the jet that had exploded, my feet hung down through the bottom of the plane and I was actually the one giving it power by running down the runway and somehow holding the shell of the plane up with my arms. (almost like the Flinstones cars, you know, foot powered?) Anyhow, the feeling of horror that I felt in each dream was quite intense. A sense of impending doom in each dream as well. That is as close to "flying" as I have ever come.

~Kim~

A friend of mine once hypothesized that most people either have reoccurring dreams about flying or reoccurring dreams about being able to breathe underwater, but for some reason they rarely have reoccurring dreams about both. I took an informal poll and it seems that there are a lot of people that fall into one of these categories. Personally, I have dreams about breathing underwater frequently, but instead of dreaming about "flying" I have these dreadful dreams that I just shoot up into the sky, like gravity no longer works for me, and I keep going higher and higher and can't stop myself. It's like falling in reverse. *shudder*

I have never dreamt about breathing underwater, and have only dreamt that i could fly twice. Once was several years ago, and I could only go straight up, though I did have a degree of control over it. Then a few months ago I dreamt I was walking on the mountains and it felt like I was walking but I had a bird's eye view (I couldn't see myself tho). Strange, but it was sort of nice and relaxing and I can remember looking down as I was 'walking' and going "Hey, there's a castle!". I was pretty high up in the air. I'd love to dream about flying more, but in my dreams I'm more often than not running from 'baddies' :(

I dreamt of flying frequently as a child but these dreams seem to have disappated since I've grown up (LOL). I could take off, hover and land at will. Though I had great difficulty trying to fly higher than tree tops, often knocking into upper most branches and then waking up, disappointed.

Hi this is my 1st post so please be gentle with me! :roll:

On the flying dreams note, i had those too but when i was at secondary school, i would dream i was flying around the sportshall half way between floor and ceiling and everyone below would be watching me, (it was as if i was showing off to them) i remember it feeling fantastic though and used to go to bed at night hoping for this dream!

I've had flying dreams where i have suddenly left the ground for no reason and i'm desperately trying not to plummet down onto a rocky landscape miles below

Around seven or eight, I had a whole series of dreams in which I became weightless and started "falling" up into the sky. I'd be desperately attempting to hold on to things - trees, fences, window sills, radio and TV antennas, chimneys, even roofing shingles - to keep from drifting entirely away. In one dream I dug my fingers claw-like into clumps of crabgrass until I eventually awoke.

I found these dreams exceptionally scary and remember more than once being awakened by my parents because I was screaming in my sleep.

I always have flying dreams. It's really cool! And always flying around 'my' school. Other times I get shot to bits by a machine gun. Strangely warm and comforting! Not a bit like you'd expect (by which time it wouldn't really matter).

What generally happens when I have flying dreams is that I suddenly realise that it's impossible to fly - and fall.

There's a big thread on Sleep Paralysis that should perhaps link here.

H_James said:
What generally happens when I have flying dreams is that I suddenly realise that it's impossible to fly - and fall.

The secret is to be so bad at falling that you miss the ground.

I never dare fly higher than 8 feet or so.
I always think I may forget how to fly and fall
at any second... so cautious, even in dreams...

TVgeek

These two about flying ring a bell:

I grew up having really vivid dreams of being able to fly -- taking off from the ground and pointing myself to go up past the trees and float closer to the ground. They were so real that I believed them, and walked around all day thinking I had this secret power no one else had and that it was really special. Only as I got older did I realize that I must have been dreaming and wasn't really flying. If I had been dreaming something less obviously impossible, I probably would never have realized that my dreams weren't real.

I remember flying. It was awesome. I definitely wasn't asleep or dreaming. I would jump off the couch and fly across the TV room - father than anyone could have ever possibly jumped. I wish I could figure out how to fly again, now that I'm big.

I have very strong memories of... not exactly flying, but more... sort of floating/levitating, as a child. The memories are from multiple different occasions, and I have had dreams as an adult in which the memories appeared, but more like dreaming about remembering it than actually dreaming about doing it. Basically, what i remember being able to do is run along, jump and then sort of "coast" along above the ground, without actually needing to touch the ground. I would occasionally touch the ground with one foot and then "coast" along again (kind of like using the pole when punting), and would cover great distances like that. Occasionally i would go further above the ground, high enough to clear low walls and fences, but probably not higher than 3/4ft or so.

The strange thing about these "memories" is that they are totally isolated, ie purely about travelling in that way, along a street or through a park or whatever, yet not linked to anything else like the particular place i was trying to get to. My theory is that the origin might be in very early childhood (when i had just learned to walk and run), running along and my coat being "caught" like a sail by a strong wind which might have taken me off my feet for a few minutes - perhaps combined with my amazement when i first "discovered" running at how much faster it was and how much less touching the ground it involved than walking.

There are also a lot of things from early childhood which i'm not sure if i actually remember experiencing them, or only being told about/reminded of them...

Then there are the dreams i had in which i saw (very mundane) objects which i am certain i never encountered in reality until several years after having dreamed about them, but that's a separate story...

nataraja said:
I have very strong memories of... not exactly flying, but more... sort of floating/levitating, as a child. The memories are from multiple different occasions, and I have had dreams as an adult in which the memories appeared, but more like dreaming about remembering it than actually dreaming about doing it. Basically, what i remember being able to do is run along, jump and then sort of "coast" along above the ground, without actually needing to touch the ground. I would occasionally touch the ground with one foot and then "coast" along again (kind of like using the pole when punting), and would cover great distances like that. Occasionally i would go further above the ground, high enough to clear low walls and fences, but probably not higher than 3/4ft or so.

I had gliding dreams too, but not about anywhere I knew. One I recall was about gliding through the corridors of a stately home. Of course, I was taking my life in my hands because of the killer robots hanging around there.

I never associated these dreams with real life, though.

Did you ever play that toddler game with your parents, where you're trotting along holding hands with both of them, and you pick your feet up and they swing you along for several running steps? The effect would be much like the gliding memories and dreams a lot of people have.

I have always connected my fly-skipping dreams (you start out skipping, with each skip getting higher and longer, until superhuman feats of near-flying are achieved) to the portion of the "Jolly Holliday" sequence in the Disney version of Mary Poppins in which the characters do something similar. I saw that movie before I was five, which gave the imagery plenty of time to settle.

The Hulk's and early Superman's ability to superleap is also similar to my fly-skipping, but I wasn't exposed to these comics until much later.

Reality does shift throughout your life, because of the brain changes as you grow, fortify, and lose synapses and various dedicated systems; and who is to say which age's set of perceptions most accurately processes objective reality?

I think I have some dream images from my childhood that seem a lot more real than memories of actual events! It's weird how you can forget dreams so easily, but some can imbed themselves in your mind so thoroughly!

A good flying dream. I love how you realy have to launch yourself in the air. I had a ray gun torch combo and was fighting flying Body Snatcher types. I was basically then cornered, (yes in the air), knew my number ws up and realized It was in fact a dream and I could escape - which I did.

I believe it is possible for deep dreamers to create a mode of transport to facilitate faster transition through the "land of dreams".

The creation of such a vehicle happens over many dreams, the dreamer perfecting it as they go.

They seem connected to flight, in that the dreamer is levitating/gliding/flying.

I believe that with practice the vehicle can be done away with entirely, becoming a power instead.

For me, it began many years ago in a dream where I was sat on a tall, four legged, round seated, wooden bar stool.

I learned that if I leaned forwards on my stool, it would move slowly forward, scraping along on two legs as I maintained balance.

With some practice I was able to travel around like that, sat on the stool and leaning forward, able to increase and decrease speed and turn etc.

Then the stool appeared in another dream and I used it as a mode of transport and learned that I could stop the scraping sound that the two legs made by concentrating and levitating me and the stool off the ground slightly. This allowed for much higher speed and no sound.

A while after, I was stool-travelling in another dream when I realised I didn't need the stool at all, I could lean forward whilst concentrating and I would slide forwards whilst slightly levitating, rather like air-skis. I could crouch down and lean forward with my feet close together and travel at speed anywhere I chose, before long I could do acrobatics also.

Air-skating is something that takes concentration to do, at times when my concentration wanes I feel/hear my shoes/socks/barefeet scraping the ground/wall/ceiling/surface and I slow down slightly. Loss of concentration can lead to a full stop and I have to walk/run/swim normally.

I've spent 20 or so years air-skating in my dreams, at times actually flying higher than a few inches (excluding stunts).

It goes without saying that I have never skied or skated, but I have flown a 737-simulator, a balloon, a glider and a helicopter (as well as being a passenger on many larger planes).

I believe it is possible for deep dreamers to create a mode of transport to facilitate faster transition through the "land of dreams".

The creation of such a vehicle happens over many dreams, the dreamer perfecting it as they go.

They seem connected to flight, in that the dreamer is levitating/gliding/flying. ...

Very interesting. I can't fly in dreams, but can float. I can float much faster if I have some apparatus, whether it's a broomstick or surfboard or frisbee...whatever. It's never been clear why this is, you'd think it would hardly matter in a dream.

They seem connected to flight, in that the dreamer is levitating/gliding/flying.

I believe that with practice the vehicle can be done away with entirely, becoming a power instead.

This applies to me in a couple of ways and I'm glad I'm not the only one.

While I'm lucid in my Dream-World, my favorite mode of transportation is the invisible, self-propelled hoverboard. I literally start levitating around 6 inches off the ground and with just tiny movements I can take corners, speed over curbs, etc. I've learned to love this.

Lastly, while not technically a vehicle, I've learned that if I want to fly in my dreams, I have to run up the Invisible Steps. Once I have my first foot placed on "nothing", I can gain momentum and keep running up the steps until I'm flying.

Still, flying is difficult to control for me, but the invisible hoverboard is second-nature. It took a while to evolve, however.

I have a question for anyone who is able to fly in dreams. How do you achieve it?

I go through phases of being able to fly in dreams, but whenever I do, I use exactly the same technique.

With my arms at my side I slowly raise them so they are out stretched, whilst at the same time lifting my left foot off the floor and then my right. Then without moving my arms I push with them. Is like there is a force coming out of my outstretched arms that propels me. To go higher or faster I just increase the force, to slow down or descend I reduce the force. I don’t fly like superman, I am always upright with my arms outstretched.

EDIT: Sometimes I bring my arms in as if I’m treading water when I want to hover.

in some dreams I can also skim across the floor just mm above the surface. It feels akin to ice skating, but without the bruises.

I have a question for anyone who is able to fly in dreams. How do you achieve it?
Your post has now been included in a newly-created thread dedicated to flying or levitating within dreams. There are differences in how flying is accomplished. Check the earlier posts to see some of the various ways other dreamers manage to levitate / float / fly.

Didn't we have a 'Floating Down Stairs' thread?

A similar feeling but when apparently awake. Most likely kids' recollections of dreams.

I can sometimes fly in dreams but it's always an effort. I can only get a little way off the ground and fly at about walking speed. So it's all a bit of a waste of time, really, to be honest. I do it by sort of jumping and lying down on the air, so I am flying in a horizontal position, about a foot off the ground.

I fly in dreams occasionally but it only works if I flap my arms very hard. When I stop flapping I sink. When I wake up I am reminded how very funny this is.

I could fly very fast in my dreams when I was a kid. I just imagined myself to be a rocket.
I don't have dreams these days, haven't really had many since my 20s. Sadly.

I see my earlier musings have got lost in the post.

Anyway, I continued to have dreams where I could float/fly. After a few of these, I found I could control my flight to an upward ascent, like swooping, but eventually I had to come down.

I’m mostly on this thread to tell you that I used to read Omni magazine and way before there were threads on the internet, there were letters printed out with each issue. Someone there suggested starting an Omni Flying Club and relate their experiences. Many suggested their rudimentary floaty hops, with a bit of dream control became a more practised flying experience while others suggested they’d controlled their dreams to a level where they were swooping and flying all over the place.

Me? I got halfway to all that. My flying experiences (in dreams) amount to saying ‘Watch this’ and stepping off a building and gliding around for a bit, rising for a few moments and then slowly descending. Which are quite the best dreams to have. *

*Other best dreams may available.

Back