• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lexicon From Dreams

MrRING

Android Futureman
Have you ever dreamed a word in your dreams, either in print or said by a dream character, that you never heard before? Then you discover that it's a real word?

I had that happen this week. In the dream, the word "kilke" was written on a newspaper that somebody was reading. I wrote down the word when I woke up so as not to forget it. It turns out it's a Finnish word for tingle or jingle (according to an online word database) as well as showing up in some Muslim sites (something called kilke raza (which calls itself the true prophet is Islam, but I'm frankly afraid to click the link).

So what is the deal? I'm not a scholar of Finnish or Islamic culture, so I don't think it was something I knew beforehand. Did I tap into the world mind, and does other dreamers on a regular basis? Or is it pure coincidence that I saw a jumble of letters that formed a word in another language?

If anybody else gets a dream word that you subsequently look up and find it to be a real word from another language, please detail in this thread... I'm curious to know how common it is!

I think I may have reported this on another thread on here. On 2 separate outback bus tour trips half dozing I had words in my head that subsequently turned out to be aboriginal names for places.
One I looked up that didn't seem to fit was cummeragunja which turned out to be a mission that closed down in the 1930's.

Novel words typically appear in my dreams only as proper nouns (odd personal or place names), and even then they're not commonly encountered.

The one major exception is a novel (to me) word spoken as if it would have particular significance to me, but which I've never located in the circa 25 years since the dream.

The scene was a university classroom, in which a number of students and I were seated and discussing something vaguely anthropological. The meeting adjourned, and everyone rose to put on their coats and leave. A young woman (not correlated with anyone in my "real life") approached and addressed me by name. She told me she and some friends would be getting together that evening for dinner and conversation, and she invited me to come over and join them. She said she was sure I'd be interested, because "We're going to have _yavoni_." (Phonetically: yah-VON-ee) She emphasized 'yavoni' with an arch of her eyebrow as if it were something of special status or significance.

In that moment (in my first-person dream orientation) I took that to indeed be attractive, but I couldn't put my finger on exactly what yavoni was. In the moment, I had the distinct impression it was some rare treat (delicacy, spirits, etc.)

I accepted the invitation, but ... The dream ended while I was on my way to this party after sunset. I never saw / received the promised 'yavoni'.

In the decades since, I've searched far and wide for any 'yavoni' (or close phonetic equivalent) all over the Web and across multiple languages and spellings. I've found a couple of given / personal names that are phonetically similar, but never a common noun.

that's weird, I'm sure that 'yavoni' rings a bell! Don't know where from, though....
I've had a similar thing. I was dreaming that I was running barefoot through the woodland in the hills near my home. It was early on a sunny spring morning in the dream, with the trees and bushes fresh with new green leaves. I had the distinct sensation of having recently had a burden lifted from me, and I was running with joy and ease, effortlessly leaping over any obstacles in my way.
I suddenly became aware of movement to my right, and I stopped, hiding down behind a bush. Warily into the sunlight came a magnificent stag, stepping onto the path. I suddenly leapt up, shouted 'Holoi!' and the stag belted away, me chasing it joyously.

And then I woke up.

However, the word stuck in my head, and I'm still puzzled by it. The closest meaning I've found is 'Whole' in Ancient Greek.

Whenever I read an unfamiliar word in a dream, and if I remember it, I look it up online. Haven't had a good definition yet, though.

Reported several of these on here over the years, but a new one last night which, if it has any meaning at all, needs help in identifying.

I've not recorded my dreams in months, but going away to sunny Krakow this evening the friend who's going with me asked if id had any precog dreams about it. So last night I recorded all dreams through the night. None are set obviously in Poland but if their trivial details turn up when I'm there I'll be sure to report it.

The thing of interest to this thread is that I woke from one particular dream session with a sing-songy word echoing in my head. I've no idea how to spell it but "someone" was whispering to me "carogency/caragentzy/Carigenczi. Or any other combination of letters that might spell out those syllables. car-a/o- jen - si.

Oddly the meaning or intent of the word, which seemed to be some kind of portmanteau blend of two words perhaps, was apparent to me on waking. It was a positive - perhaps akin to saying lovely or good looking. But there was no remembered plot in which it was used, it was just ringing in my "ears".

A search for English names or terms draws a blank. (you'll find caragency and coregency in google searches, but they're just "car agency" and "co-regency" :p)

Could it conceivably be Polish? Alternatively the dream I was waking from involved a friend of Hungarian parentage, so maybe Magyar is an option.

Any suggestions welcome.

It sounds to me like Romajii-phoneticised Japanese.... (you might not like what it can perhaps be interpreted as saying)

Or any other combination of letters that might spell out those syllables. car-a/o- jen - si.
2018-03-01 15.20.40.png

(or.....'kara' can also mean from, or empty)
2018-03-01 15.18.34.png

So....is this a Manchurian Candidate style post-hypnotic suggestion? I do hope not....:fnord:

I once had a dream about a town in central europe somewhere called 'Zambrokin', which of course doesn't exist, but I liked it.

;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 11.31.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 11.31.57 PM.png
    45 KB · Views: 26
I read some text in a dream last night... something like a Wikipedia entry, the heading was clearly "atitoxic event". Of course, being a dream, as far as I know the word "atitoxic" doesn't exist, and in the dream I didn't bother to read the definition. Oh well, I'll never know what a word that doesn't exist means...

Placeholder: looking for a dream where I wrote a totally made-up word on a bathroom mirror... it's in Covid Dreams somewhere.

In a dream, the phrase "prosetylizing fish" was used.

Obviously proselytizing is the word. I read quite a bit and the word is not unknown to me, but the definition was not clear to me and I looked it up. I would never use the word in conversation, but why the phrase?

I can't remember the content of the dream as I was curious about the meaning of the phrase when I woke.

that's weird, I'm sure that 'yavoni' rings a bell! Don't know where from, though....
I've had a similar thing. I was dreaming that I was running barefoot through the woodland in the hills near my home. It was early on a sunny spring morning in the dream, with the trees and bushes fresh with new green leaves. I had the distinct sensation of having recently had a burden lifted from me, and I was running with joy and ease, effortlessly leaping over any obstacles in my way.
I suddenly became aware of movement to my right, and I stopped, hiding down behind a bush. Warily into the sunlight came a magnificent stag, stepping onto the path. I suddenly leapt up, shouted 'Holoi!' and the stag belted away, me chasing it joyously.

And then I woke up.

However, the word stuck in my head, and I'm still puzzled by it. The closest meaning I've found is 'Whole' in Ancient Greek.
Here is a definition to "holoi":

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/holoi

Apparently it's Hawaiian and can mean to wash or to erase.

You posted about an unknown word "Licene" in the Covid Dreaming thread, but you didn't mention anything about writing it on a mirror. The word was written on a placard, and it washed off when the placard got wet.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ring-the-covid-19-pandemic.67108/post-2148638
Thank you! I was looking for this dream and thinking - I was in a bathroom. I remember seeing the word written but it got wiped off in the wet. Maybe this proves how you've got to get a dream recorded permanently so as to fix in in the head, or you lose it altogether! (Looking for the dream about Rita my French teacher, where my adolescent self surfaced from a few decades ago, and got embarrassing...)

Thank you! I was looking for this dream and thinking - I was in a bathroom. I remember seeing the word written but it got wiped off in the wet. Maybe this proves how you've got to get a dream recorded permanently so as to fix in in the head, or you lose it altogether! (Looking for the dream about Rita my French teacher, where my adolescent self surfaced from a few decades ago, and got embarrassing...)
Lysine? An amino acid. Are you a chemist? I mean chemist as someone who works in chemistry. I just realized that some countries use "chemist" in reference to "pharmacist".

Lysine? An amino acid. Are you a chemist? I mean chemist as someone who works in chemistry. I just realized that some countries use "chemist" in reference to "pharmacist".
Interesting: the last contact I had with chemistry in any formal study sense was at school. I honestly thought "licene" was a made-up word!

Last week one of my dreams had the word 'scrimgeour' going around in it, a word I don't remember hearing - but Rufus Scrimgeour is a character in Harry Potter (played by Bill Nighy in the films).

Haven't read a Potter book in more than a decade (gave up when I could barely lift them!) or seen a film in four or five years, so no idea why it was kicking around in my subconscious...

Interesting: the last contact I had with chemistry in any formal study sense was at school. I honestly thought "licene" was a made-up word!
I always try to think of how certain words, even if not real, might be pronounced, then I look up alternate spellings. With *oogle nowadays, it assumes that you have mispelled a word, or can attach it to another language.

As kids, my siblings and I would always use funny, and what I thought were made up words such as goulash. Not until later did I know it is Hungarian. I did watch cooking shows, so probably picked them up from there.

Last night I had a high fantasy dream (almost entirely gone) which featured Johnny Depp as a dragon in human form (it's the first time I can recall an actor turning up in one of my dreams, and I haven't seen him in anything for ages). I do remember he summoned a dragon's egg into being and then reached out and placed it on a rocky island on the horizon, as if perspective didn't exist. Various foreign-looking words cropped up on signposts in the dream but the only phrase I brought back with me was "panzer bjorn" which was frequently mentioned (I never saw it written so am guessing how to write it) and meant "dragon-born" - i.e. someone who had a dragon as a parent. I wish I could remember the whole dream. When I woke up I had "panzer bjorn" stuck annoyingly in my head for ages.

Last night I had a high fantasy dream (almost entirely gone) which featured Johnny Depp as a dragon in human form (it's the first time I can recall an actor turning up in one of my dreams, and I haven't seen him in anything for ages). I do remember he summoned a dragon's egg into being and then reached out and placed it on a rocky island on the horizon, as if perspective didn't exist. Various foreign-looking words cropped up on signposts in the dream but the only phrase I brought back with me was "panzer bjorn" which was frequently mentioned (I never saw it written so am guessing how to write it) and meant "dragon-born" - i.e. someone who had a dragon as a parent. I wish I could remember the whole dream. When I woke up I had "panzer bjorn" stuck annoyingly in my head for ages.

It means “armoured bear”, characters which appear in Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy. Actually spelt panserbjørne.

maximus otter

Reminds me of the lucid dream I had back in '20... <sucks cigar and stares into the distance>

I posted it in the Vivid Dreaming During Covid thread. I was lucid and talking to a man and I asked him to say something that I could remember when I woke up. His first attempt was 'aircraft', to which I told him to try something else and he came up with 'scutage'.

I had no idea what that meant and asked on here, where @Mythopoeika posted the wiki link.

Turned out that it was probably a word used in the audio book that I was listening to that night. But interesting how my mind managed to work it into the dream!

Copying this across from the What Did You Dream of Last Night thread.

Not a dream really, but I woke up "remembering" the phrase: Ursula Faskelyne, the walking death. I don't know any Ursulas, Faskelyne doesn't seem to be a name (Maskelyne was a well known magician) so what the ****?

I wonder if that's what happens to mediums in a trance and makes them think they've contacted the dead?

Some years ago, as already described, I dreamed of a new word; etemeteasal.

It describes the process of looking with envy upon someone in a highly elevated social position (especially a monarch, as in Game of Thrones) and resentfully thinking 'I should be there!'

It can be a dangerous condition. Anyone looking too etemeteasal on Royal Petition Day might be summarily parted from their heads.

All totally imagined by me after a late curry or summat. :dunno:

Forgot about this thread. The other day I wrote down the phrase 'gycar reco' in my notes app when I woke up because I heard it sung insistently in a dream. I don't think it means anything.

Back