Lightning Strikes

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Back in the mid-Nineties we had an office block in Boringtown centre. In the car park were three huge trees. From memory, they were eighty to a hundred feet tall.

One night there was a lightning storm, and the centre tree was struck and exploded.

The following day I was walking the beat, and visited the locus. The ninety (?) foot tree was now a ten-foot (?) stump. Splinters ranging from finger-size to feet-long spears had been blasted for hundreds of feet in all directions, some buried deep into the ground. I well remember that one of the six-foot lances had been blown 50 yards (?) away, and had penetrated the tile roof of a nearby flat block. Anyone unfortunate enough to have been in the area would have had an excellent chance of being kebabbed.

I carefully preserved a piece which I still have, because of the old tradition that - as "lightning never strikes the same place twice" :rolleyes: - a house with a piece of lightning tree in it will never be struck by lightning:

maximus otter

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Back in the mid-Nineties we had an office block in Boringtown centre. In the car park were three huge trees. From memory, they were eighty to a hundred feet tall.

One night there was a lightning storm, and the centre tree was struck and exploded.

The following day I was walking the beat, and visited the locus. The ninety (?) foot tree was now a ten-foot (?) stump. Splinters ranging from finger-size to feet-long spears had been blasted for hundreds of feet in all directions, some buried deep into the ground. I well remember that one of the six-foot lances had been blown 50 yards (?) away, and had penetrated the tile roof of a nearby flat block. Anyone unfortunate enough to have been in the area would have had an excellent chance of being kebabbed.

I carefully preserved a piece which I still have, because of the old tradition that - as "lightning never strikes the same place twice" :rolleyes: - a house with a piece of lightning tree in it will never be struck by lightning:

maximus otter
You could probably sell stuff like that on eBay. Ancient wood imbued with the mystic awesome explodey energy of thunderbolts or something.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
A guy I know (he was a teacher) was on the top floor of the institution he taught in, close to a window, when the building was struck by lightning. It knocked him to the floor and he claims he was unconscious for around 10 minutes before coming to with severely diminished hearing. He was subsequently medically pensioned off as a result.

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
because of the old tradition that - as "lightning never strikes the same place twice" :rolleyes: - a house with a piece of lightning tree in it will never be struck by lightning:
Excepting though, that this is false.

I really am fascinated by, and extremely sympathetic to, the poor people who have been repeatedly struck. Horrifying.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member