• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Hole blown in Plymouth house by lightning strike
By EMooreHerald | Posted: May 27, 2017
Video: 40s.
The moment the lightning bolt struck the house

This is the damage caused to a Plymouth house after it was struck by lightning in last night's storm - a blast that has been captured on video.

The chimney of the property in Mutley has been decimated by the fierce electrical hit.
Firefighters had to be called to the scene, near Alton Road and Abingdon Road, in the early hours.

Earlier, a student who filmed the drama told The Herald how it felt like "fire raining down from the sky" as the bolt missed him and his pals by just metres

This is the damage caused to a Plymouth house after it was struck by lightning in last night's storm - a blast that has been captured on video.

The chimney of the property in Mutley has been decimated by the fierce electrical hit.

Firefighters had to be called to the scene, near Alton Road and Abingdon Road, in the early hours.

Earlier, a student who filmed the drama told The Herald how it felt like "fire raining down from the sky" as the bolt missed him and his pals by just metres

Video: 45 s. More footage of the house being blasted

etc...

altonroad2new.jpg

This morning.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/hol...tning-strike/story-30357398-detail/story.html

It was an absolutely amazing storm I've never seen the like in all my life!

I love a good storm, but even I came in and shut the back door; it was right over us and we have a very tall sycamore at the end of our garden, only about 30 feet away! Such constant lightning, for such a long time was incredible to experience. It was genuinely like a florescent light fitting on the blink for about three hours.

It was a weird because it started with very little lightning, just a unbelievable low, constant, rumble of thunder that just went on and on for about fifteen minutes without a single pause, which was what woke me up; then you had the full on constant thunder and lightening everywhere for at least an hour (I tried counting to see if there was more than a second or two between flashes, and there wasn't, for hours!), then another hour or so of lightning with only very low or no thunder I could hear at all, it was quite spooky.

Annoyingly, I'm dog sitting for a friend this weekend and it was his first night here; wasn't the greatest thing that could have happened! He was very freaked out, poor lad. The rabbit must have been petrified, but I was way too afraid to go and bring him in, it was crazy out there.

I live in a steep valley, and have a very limited view of the sky; I didn't see many bolts, but I saw a couple of flashes so bright that for a moment I was worried about my eyes! Mental, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world, truly awesome.

I recall in Kefalonia a few years ago watching a thunderstorm in the distance. Tempting fate I said "that's boring it's over there." After a 15 hour thunderstorm which closed three shops on the front and a landslide that filled the hotel next doors swimming pool, I realised that perhaps I should have kept my big gob shut.

I was expecting the mother of all lightning storms here, but it's apparently petered out with only a couple of rumbles left to its name.

South West storms cause property damage
27 May 2017

Heavy storms raged over the South West, with heavy downpours and lightning striking properties.
The Met Office said over the four-hour period from midnight to 04:00 there was a "notable" amount of lightning.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service reported strikes at eight properties, and a BT box on a telegraph pole was destroyed.
Cornwall's fire service reported "properties and businesses" had been struck.
The events were caught on camera by members of the public across the region.

The Met Office said it was most likely the storm began to form over northern Spain before moving north over to Devon and Cornwall.

A spokesperson said: "Yesterday's high temperatures in the region, coupled with the approach of a weather front made a good recipe for the stormy conditions."
They added the "high-based clouds" produced a "noteworthy amount of lightning" and intense localised rainfall.

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said it began receiving calls "shortly after midnight" to properties which had been "struck by lightning, activating alarms and on some occasions causing small fires".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40069339

Video and photos on page.

Flash floods and lightning strikes hit Fife
by Michael Alexander
May 27 2017, 10.53pm
© Michael Alexander
flood6-e1495921393982-620x372.jpg

Firefighters work hard to unblock drains after flash floods in Ceres Road, Cupar
Want to read more?Subscribe today from £1 a week

Holidays are coming !
Your Summer adventure awaits. Time to hit the road with Europcar!
Book now
Promoted by EUROPCAR-UK
info-ayl.png
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel

Flash flooding brought dramatic scenes to a Fife street on Saturday evening as a prolonged period of intense thunderstorms left drains unable to cope with residents fearing their homes may be flooded.

Emergency sandbags were placed at several front doors and at the entrance to a school playground.

flood10-1024x768.jpg
© Michael Alexander
Emergency flood defences at front doors in Ceres Road, Cupar
Thankfully, as firefighters brought in pumps and worked hard to clear drains, householders in Ceres Road, Cupar, were able to breathe a sigh of relief as the rains eased and the localised flooding subsided. The road was temporarily closed but re-opened by 10pm.

One resident said: “We were really worried because we got flooded eight years ago.”

flood7-1024x768.jpg
© Michael Alexander
Ceres Road in Cupar was closed until the localised flooding could be cleared
Another resident said: “We walked across there five minutes before. I’ve never seen rain like it!”

Meanwhile, a block of flats at Abbey Park Avenue in St Andrews was struck by lightning.

flood4-1024x768.jpg
© David Scott Raynor
Firefighters check the roof of the flats at Abbey Park Avenue in St Andrews after it was struck by lightning
Firefighters attended but no fire was found.

There were also reports of localised flooding at the Old Course – in stark contrast to the blistering heat when former US President Barack Obama visited on Friday.

ADVERTISING
flood9-1024x768.jpg

Localised flooding at the Old Course in St Andrews
The Met Office issued a yellow warning for rain in south-east Scotland on Saturday morning which expired at 11pm on Saturday night.

Weather forecasters had warned that scattered heavy and thundery showers would develop in the afternoon, some accompanied by hail and thunder.

flood5-1024x768.jpg
© Michael Alexander
Dramatic skies persisted after the worst of the thunder storms passed
It was predicted this could lead to to some localised flooding, especially on the roads with some travel disruption possible.

The intense thunderstorms with multiple fork lightning swept through Fife between 5pm and 8pm before easing.

flood3-1024x768.jpg
© Michael Alexander
Dramatic skies over Fife as the weather cleared into the North Sea
Showers were predicted to die away through Saturday evening into Sunday

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/436135/flash-floods-lightning-strikes-hit-fife/

Violent storm sweeps across south east of England

A severe storm swept across the south east of England overnight, bringing intense thunder, lightning and heavy rain to the region.
More than 120,000 flashes of lightning were recorded over northern France and south-east England in just 12 hours.
Between 18:00 BST on Sunday and 06:00 there were up to 500 flashes a minute.

A house in Staplehurst, Kent, was hit by lightning just after 02:00, which exploded cables and set the roof on fire.
In Folkestone, also Kent, another house was struck causing a power surge and total electrical failure to the home.

People who witnessed the dramatic conditions took to social media to share their thoughts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40083149

Video and photos on page.

Here is a little movie I made of a lightning strike I captured last summer from my boat.

In the slow motion, there is some interesting things going on, but I'm not sure how much has to do with the camera, or what? Please let me know what you think.
:)

Here is a little movie I made of a lightning strike I captured last summer from my boat.

In the slow motion, there is some interesting things going on, but I'm not sure how much has to do with the camera, or what? Please let me know what you think.
:)

Nice capture and great boat :)

Out of curiosity, have you ever seen or heard of lightening ricocheting off of water ? .. I ask because I once worked as the night man at a sea side hotel that was hit by lightening .. later, a local told me that the bolt that hit us 'bounced' off the water first. I'm sceptical but who knows ? ..

have you ever seen or heard of lightening ricocheting off of water ?

Last year was my first year on the water, so I've never seen it myself. And I'm not sure I've ever heard of an actual example being verified, but I've always heard that a bolt hitting water can do almost anything, not just dissipate like you might think would happen in a large body of water.

As a layman on the subject, I think seawater, especially, is pretty conductive, but there is no clear path to ground in a body of water, so the electricity can take any random path. So, imho, there is a possibility that it could've ricocheted from the water to land, or building, searching for ground.

But please, don't take my very un-knowledgeable word for it! I'm sure there are lots of members who have a much better understanding than me on the subject!

However, lightning also does really weird things, so who knows what's possible?
Here are quite a few true lightning stories. (and lots of other nifty lightning facts, etc on the side of the page.)

http://www.ec.gc.ca/foudre-lightning/default.asp?lang=En&n=9C477A05-1

This new evidence illustrates how a lightning strike is more complex than a single bolt from sky to ground ...

See the 1st-Ever High-Speed Footage of Lightning Striking a Building

At first, the flashes of lightning appear like glowing tentacles spreading across the night sky. Then, an enormous and blinding flash illuminates the frame. But this isn't just any footage of a lightning storm — it's the first time that high-speed video of lightning hitting a building has been captured, according to a new study.
In addition to making for a dramatic show, the research could help improve lightning rods, a technology that hasn't changed in 200 years, the scientists said.

The video shows a tree of electrical discharges branching from a storm cloud and descending toward the ground. As the discharges near the ground, a weaker electrical column starts climbing from a lightning rod on a multistory building. When the rising discharge meets one of the downward leaders, as scientists call the sky-to-ground dischargers, a powerful flash blinds the camera's view. ...

SOURCE: http://www.livescience.com/59317-lightning-strikes-building-high-speed-footage.html

Last year was my first year on the water, so I've never seen it myself. And I'm not sure I've ever heard of an actual example being verified, but I've always heard that a bolt hitting water can do almost anything, not just dissipate like you might think would happen in a large body of water.

As a layman on the subject, I think seawater, especially, is pretty conductive, but there is no clear path to ground in a body of water, so the electricity can take any random path. So, imho, there is a possibility that it could've ricocheted from the water to land, or building, searching for ground.

But please, don't take my very un-knowledgeable word for it! I'm sure there are lots of members who have a much better understanding than me on the subject!

However, lightning also does really weird things, so who knows what's possible?
Here are quite a few true lightning stories. (and lots of other nifty lightning facts, etc on the side of the page.)

http://www.ec.gc.ca/foudre-lightning/default.asp?lang=En&n=9C477A05-1

There is quite a lot of iron stone on our beach, maybe that could create the right conditions for bouncing lightening ?.

Golfer from Rushmere dies in hospital after being struck by lightning
3 June 2017

A man has died after he was struck by lightning on a Suffolk golf course.
Philip Shard, 60, died in hospital last week after being struck and collapsed while playing golf at the Fynn Valley Golf Club, Witnesham last Saturday.

The club said it was a "tragic incident". A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said crews "treated a man, believed to be in his 60s, who was in cardiac arrest".
Mr Shard was married and lived in Rushmere, near Ipswich.

The spokesman added: "Following treatment at the scene, he was resuscitated and taken to Ipswich Hospital by land ambulance in a critical condition."

Tony Tyrrell, club owner and secretary, said: "Everyone at the club is horrified by it. It's a dreadful thing to have happened and our thoughts are with his family.
"He only became a member a couple of months ago and he quickly became well known to the regulars."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-40144471

The Plymouth home that's still picking up the pieces a month on from the epic lightning storm
By Herald_Miles | Posted: June 23, 2017

Everyone in Plymouth remembers the incredible lightning storm that lit up the skies above the city and drew massive attention last month.
Readers were desperate to capture the phenomena and post up their best pictures and video - in the safety of their homes.

But some were left counting the cost as thunder and lightning wreaked havoc.
And even now - the effects of the freak weather that hit Plymouth that night are still being felt.

Herald reporter Kitty Weale went and met the landlord of a seven-bedroom student property in Mutley that's trying to get life back in order.

chimney2.png

Kitty Weale

One stray lightning bolt unfortunately struck a house on Abingdon Road in Mutley, which was caught on video by student Alex Sawyer.
The house is still going through repairs - which the landlord Kevin admits has been a "slow process", due to the external damage to the chimney and internal damage to the homes electric and alarm systems.
The lightning struck the chimney between houses 19 and 21 on the street, leaving a hole on the side which measured around one metre by fifty centimeters.

Thankfully for the landlord, the cost of the damage isn't too bad.
However, the chimney is currently being dismantled and a smaller, more modern one will take its place.

When the storm took place, the family who currently live in number 21 were away in Australia when lightning struck the house and were therefore all safely away from the danger.

etc...

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/the...htning-storm/story-30405145-detail/story.html

Canadian father struck by lightning at daughter's wedding
12 July 2017

No one likes a dull wedding, but one father-of-the-bride's speech was a little too electrifying at his daughter's ceremony last weekend.
JP Nadeau was reportedly struck by lightning mid-sentence in his apple orchard in New Brunswick, Canada.
"And just as I told my new son-in-law 'You're a lucky guy' - Boom!" he told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

Aside from a small scar on his thumb, Mr Nadeau says he was unscathed and the wedding proceeded.
Storm clouds had gathered behind him at the ceremony on 8 July, he said, and his daughter saw lightning strike the ground nearby.
"I had the microphone and the shock jumped into the sound system and my hand just lit up and I saw the spark," he told the CBC.
"And I'm looking at my hand and it's all flared up… It was like I was holding a lightning bolt in my hand, it was amazing."

Everyone was stunned at first, but that didn't stop the happy couple from continuing with the festivities.
"It was a beautiful wedding," Mr Nadeau's wife, Maggy Thomas, told the CBC.
"But that was pretty terrifying for a second."

Mr Nadeau says he's a lucky-unlucky man - in 2015, a cruise ship he was working on near the Falkland Islands caught fire, and he was rescued by the Royal Air Force.
"I've had lots of brushes with death," said Mr Nadeau. "But death keeps ignoring me."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40585510

Lightning hitting water :popc:

(can lightning arc off of water and go on to hit a building .. I'm asking for a friend ..)

Last edited:
Even God is a critic.

Lightning strikes have forced Sir Tom Jones to cancel his comeback concert in York.

The 78-year-old star had been due to return to performing on Friday, with a show at York Racecourse after a series of cancelled concerts due to illness.

York Racecourse apologised and said it took the decision to cancel "given the atrocious weather conditions".

Singer James Arthur also had to cancel his open-air gig in Scarborough on Thursday because of lightning.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-44988512

The Red Lion Hotel in Cromer was struck by lightning about ten years ago while I was on duty there. The whole building 'bounced' for want of a better word (we initially though there's been an explosion upstairs) and I evacuated the building of all customers and residents (a boss turned up and we were testing the heat of each door with the back of our hands before opening them), the fire engines turned up soon after although there thankfully wasn't any fire. The lightning struck the boiler room side of the hotel, staff residence flats experienced dead TV's afterwards and the plastic lettering on that side of the building were blown off. Between us, we found all the letters except the letter E prompting a "does anyone want an E" (ecstasy) joke.

An eyewitness who was on the pier at the time told me later on that the lightning had hit the sea, arced off of it and then hit the hotel which doesn't add up to me. Has anyone here heard of a lightning ricochet off of water phenomenon before?.

Even God is a critic.

Lightning strikes have forced Sir Tom Jones to cancel his comeback concert in York.

The 78-year-old star had been due to return to performing on Friday, with a show at York Racecourse after a series of cancelled concerts due to illness.

York Racecourse apologised and said it took the decision to cancel "given the atrocious weather conditions".

Singer James Arthur also had to cancel his open-air gig in Scarborough on Thursday because of lightning.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-44988512
This kind of thing, It's Not Unusual.

Back