• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lights on my stairs

Iamroachford

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hiya everyone.

Something strange happened yesterday and as strange as it was my reaction was almost as weird. I'll post and you can decide for yourself.

We live in an end terrace Victorian house. Its a little bigger than a two up and two down but I guess it's along the same lines. We have lived in the house for just over four years and have never really felt that there was anything/one else in here with us. However the events of the last few weeks and especially yesterday have made me think that 'something' is afoot.

We have recently had a baby boy (3 months old) who is being the centre of both my wife and I's world. He's sleeping 12 hours and is not being anything like the monster that people predicted. I digress, last night I put my boy to bed at around 6.50pm, tucked him up and made sure he was settled. I came out of his room and the top landing light was on low which casts light onto the landing but not into the stairwell. I started to walk down the stairs and from nowhere at all, I became aware of someone on the top of the landing. But, there was no oppression or malevolence at all. I stopped but didnt turn round to look which in itself seems strange now, especially as my boy was upstairs.

As I came to the foot of the stairs, I saw what looked like a projection of irregular shaped white/blue irridescent lights hovering over the handle of the door at the bottom of our stairwell. Again, rather than thinking 'What the F**k is that' I simply walked through the door and carried on with my evening. Only today did I think how weird it was.

In addition, my wife has told me that she has seen 'flitting' white lights in our dining room when she has been in the kitchen. She dismissed it as a trick of the light but after my experience, I can't help thinking that something might be occuring. I didnt tell my wife about my 'sighting' as she has to spend most of the day in the house alone - apart for our son.

It just seemed a triffle perculiar.

Although I'm sure there was no triffle involved with the phenomena.....

Your reaction to these apparent events are key to understanding them, I think. As someone who would love to see a ghost, I can't imagine ignoring one if I thought there was one nearby.

Your reaction seemed similar to someone in a dream. As you will no doubt have experienced, we often just 'know' things in dreams, even when we don't see or hear them as part of the dream itself. I'm not sure why you should have had such an experience but it sounds psychological in some way.

It's funny the only time I've ever been spooked by stuff which could be explained as a ghost myself was when something sent a shoebox in a straight horizontal line to the centre of a room I was in then dropped it down on a table, it didn't travel in an arc as it would have if it was thrown or falling off something (see diagram as i can't really explain what happened properly in words)

box.jpg

However, like Iamroachford when I have seen other paranormal things that could be called ghosts I've been rather calm, unspooked and not really been frightened by it at all. I think it was the fact that there was nothing I could see apart from the shoebox moving that was spooky, no lights, so weird presence and no outlines of people or anything (indeed if it was caused by a ghost they'd have had to walk though the coffee table that they placed the shoebox on which made it even more strange. I posted this on a poltergeist thread here in 2002 I think but received only a smarmy reply to it insisting it couldn't have been anything of the sort as I had no girls going through puberty in the house at the time :roll:

Anyway I don't mean to hijack this thread with my experience I was just sharing that experience as an anecdote on how totally unfazeing it can be to witness some sorts of 'ghost' and shocking to witness others.

I have no opinion on what these lights and nonthreatening presences were, but I have seen similar events surrounding newborns attributed to the ghosts of relatives, particularly grandparents and great-grandparents; to angels; and to fairies attracted by small children (which is traditional, but didn't become unthreatening until the Victorian English introduced the twee element to fairies).

There's a thread here somewhere concerning pregnancy, newborns, and small children and events surrounding them, which might have something of interest to you, but I can't for the life of me remember what the thread title was or what forum it was in. You could search for "baby," I suppose.

Yup, I agree entirely. I too have seen weird happenings and felt no alarm at all until well afterwards, when I'd think, 'Durr, did I really see that?' :lol:

oll_lewis said:
I posted this on a poltergeist thread here in 2002 I think but received only a smarmy reply to it insisting it couldn't have been anything of the sort as I had no girls going through puberty in the house at the time :roll:

Bloody hell, if that were the case then Gary Glitter will be getting loads of (platform?) shoe boxes dropped on his table pretty soon.

PeniG said:
There's a thread here somewhere concerning pregnancy, newborns, and small children and events surrounding them, which might have something of interest to you, but I can't for the life of me remember what the thread title was or what forum it was in.
Quite possibly this one.

I didn't want to post this in the original message as I knew what it might insinuate, but we lost my Dad not too long ago and as much as I'm reticent to start making a connection between the lights and my Dad, it's certainly in my mind.

Sometimes lights flicker casting a "flittering" image.. I guess the initial reaction is to blame it on something spooky. Alas, it could be nothing.

But I could understand why you'd be freaked out by it.

I've seen them again. Once tonight and once last week.

Last week I was walking along our landing and as I was approaching our bedroom door, to the lower right of me I saw what I can best describe as a fleeting irridescence that looked like a string of diamonds, perhaps around half a foot long and there seemed to be around half a dozen lights. This sight was hovering around two foot in the air and about halt a foot away from the wall. Again, I really didn't feel threatened or even scared, I just thought , wow, there are those lights again.

And tonight, it was a more subtle sighting - to be honest, every time I see them it's a subtle affair but this was more so. My wife was playing with my baby son in his room and I was too. I got up to go downstairs as I had to put some stuff in the freezer that I had just brought in from the shops. As I came out of the door, I saw a similar sight as before sweep by my face, quite close but there was only a couple of pale lights, I think, it happened so quickly.

I haven't told my wife any of this as it would SERIOUSLY make her unsettled, especially as she spends most of the day in the house with our son. I'm stumped as to what's going on???? There are no reflecive/refracting surfaces or objects within the vacinity of where I saw the lights, I haven't been travelling from light to dark spaces (which might explain lighter after images that you get when viewing bright objects and then the lights going out etc) and as far as I know my vision is pretty sound.

I feel a ghost watch coming on!!!! :)

Of course we have to find some excuse to get your wife out of the house! ;) Whilst leaving your son in the house, as you seem to think there may be a connection to him?! Tricky!

Hello. A bit of an update on things. No more lights around the area on the stairs of my house which in one way is good but in another way is slightly disheartening. BUT!

I was lying in bed a few nights ago and our poor little boy has been suffering with a hellish cold. As such, I have been sleeping lightly and keeping an ear out for him if he needed me.

Now I cant be sure but I heard something that sounded like movement in our room which didnt really register with me at first. I thought that in some way our son neded me and I sat upright. It was 3.26am on the clock. It was immediately that I saw at the side of my wardrobe what I can only describe as a pale wisp of white. It looked like someone had draped a piece of sheer voile in mid air, but way more faint. It moved to he ground and then dissapeared from view beyond the bottom of the bed. And of course what did I do................? I laid back down and thought about what I had seen. That was at 3.27am. I sat and watched the clock change to 3.28am and then 3.29am before I started to think it was a little strange. I got up and half panicy, went to see if my boy was OK - snoring like the best.

I'm sure I wasn't asleep or hypnagogic.

?

Back