• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Likes [Poll]

The Like Button ...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, it's very handy for that - the original point of it on this board, I think. As far as I know, this site doesn't collect them and sell them to marketers. (Though heaven only knows what they'd try to sell based on our posts here!)

Does anyone but me use the like button to signal non-aggression before replying? I do this so the person I'm replying to knows that it's meant in a friendly way. They won't have to worry they're about to read something vicious or nasty.

I hadn't even considered them being collected and sold!

The non-aggression thing... yes I see what you mean and I have probably done that, too, now that you mention it. Sort of "I'm about to reply with something witty*/sarcastic but meant in good humour but I do hope you won't take it the wrong way hence my pre-emptive 'like' of your post first".

And... I will confess to actually using the 'like' in reverse of this, as a means to gauge the tone of a reply to one of my posts, if I'm not sure about it. Did they 'like' the post they have responded to? Yes, in which case there can be no harm meant by their reply.

*whether I end up as witty as I intend is another matter.

... Does anyone but me use the like button to signal non-aggression before replying? I do this so the person I'm replying to knows that it's meant in a friendly way. They won't have to worry they're about to read something vicious or nasty.

That's a tactical intention for a "Like" I don't believe I've heard anyone admit before ... :thought:

okay! now, you see my strategy of self-censoring (the original post by me is already deleted, but because you quoted me, now the content is still available! I've put in a lot of anti-FEMA propaganda like this, 2 years ago, but the original posts can't be traced back to me, because I've already deleted them. whatever residue is left, are quotes by other members..

Last edited:
Yes, it's very handy for that - the original point of it on this board, I think. As far as I know, this site doesn't collect them and sell them to marketers. (Though heaven only knows what they'd try to sell based on our posts here!)

Does anyone but me use the like button to signal non-aggression before replying? I do this so the person I'm replying to knows that it's meant in a friendly way. They won't have to worry they're about to read something vicious or nasty.

yes, I do that too, it's like saying 'thank you for replying/quoting me, at least, you're welcome'..

Yes, most definately, it can defuse a possible bad situation, that was unintended.

Back