• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Living Dinosaurs!

Piscez said:
Thats the horned toad. Squirts blood at enemies. Kinda gross.
Disclaimer: photo contains no blood squirtage.
horntoad.jpg

sorry, but that looks more like a horned lizard to me (something to do with it having a tail) - as far as i know, most frogs and toads lose the last vestiges of their tails in the transition from tadpole to mature growth (unless he's been to a re-tail shop:hmm: )

The only amphibian to retain a vestige of tail is the axolite?(real spelling would be nice!!?? please:blush:

thanks very much. Couldn't remember how to speel it. Have a useless dictionary but it's crap!! anyway you knew what I was on about:yeay:

Slytherin

Hi, credits not mine, stole it directly from another crypozoology forum, looks better there because I had to reduce the size to post it... cryptozoology.com I think, but I can't be sure

Yeah, its a lizard. But its called a Horned Toad. Like a Fisher Cat isn't a cat.
I've seen it as Horny Toad too.

Like in Old Yeller? It's a tragic tragic film, but I just can't help sniggering when little Travis swaps the dog for his horny toad...

sorry :D

Cheers for the info, Swan. :) I think it looks rather good as dino pics go, though it's almost certainly a fake, just coz photos of cryptids don't get that good. I don't recall seeing that exact dino in Walking with Dinos but he does look like he was made with the same technology. Still, feathers... Wicked!

Watching 'Creation Science In The 21st Century' Tonight on T

An interesting site, called drdino.com puts forward the creationist argument for dinosaurs being recent (pre-flood) creations of God and that some, like Nessie and the Lake Champlain Monster, are still alive.

Some, no doubt, often seen pictures here,
www.drdino.com.

The site is full of other weird and wonderful, anti-evolutionist stuff (and anti-US Government. Of course they can't be 'anti-American' because they're Fundamentalist Christians).

re androman

the last photo-lake erie creature- I've never seen that!! woooo! now that is interesting, a little pleiasaurus. cool.

melforkbeard said:
The only amphibian to retain a vestige of tail is the axolite?(real spelling would be nice!!?? please:blush:

Well, all newts and salamanders have tails... you might be thinking of the axolotl keeping its gills into adulthood (neoteny) which occurs in a few other salamanders as well.

There is one family of frogs, the Ascaphidae, called 'tailed frogs', which appear to have a tail, but it's actually a sort of penis.

Re: wow

vampira said:
thats cool...i always thought it was impossible that all dinosaurs died out...but why don't these ones leap out and snack on some tasty humans?!?:confused:
can someone explain this to me?? im only 13...:( wise beyond my years...:rolleyes: lol
You ever hear how sharks often let a man go after attacking? The theory is that the shark uses its mouth as "hands," if you will; in essence feeling something it is not used to seeing (the human), and letting an attacked human go once it realizes that said human is not food. That could be a reason the Rex didn't attack: it didn't recognize humans as its normal food source.

A better reason, imho, that the Rex didn't attack is because it had a huge-ass rhino to eat instead. Why eat puny humans when there's a friggin' rhino to munch on?

The pictures of the Pleisosauraus dragged up by the Japanese trawler look like something out of a Harryhausen pic. Still, they are the most convincing thing there IMO. I see no reason why such things wouldn'tsurvive today at great depths in the Pacific.

Tuataras

Tuataras (Sphenodon punctatus and Sphenodon guntheri ) are not dinosaus though, they are a living fossil and were around in their current form around the same time as the dinosaus but are not bird hipped so are not dinosaurs (capesh?).

Tuataras are in danger of extinction as they are now only found on a few isolated islands in new zealand. :sad: mind you this has probably been the state of affairs for several hundred years and they're baring with it at the moment.

everything you might want to know about Tuataras
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20031023011413/http://www.kcc.org.nz/animals/tuatara.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Tuataras

Lord_Flashheart said:
Tuataras (Sphenodon punctatus and Sphenodon guntheri ) are not dinosaus though, they are a living fossil and were around in their current form around the same time as the dinosaus but are not bird hipped so are not dinosaurs (capesh?).

What about saurischians? Not all dinosaurs were 'bird hipped'.

actuly saurusins do have hips that are vaugely akin to bird hips. to such an extent in fact that some ealy palaeontlologists thought that they may stand on hind legs and use their long necks to reach the tops of some incredibly tall and now extinct species of tree. thankfully someone had the good sence to point out that that was crap, because of weight distribution and there was no evidence of tees ever getting anywhere near that large.

anyway tuataras hips are reptilan and that's what I was getting at :D

That's sauropods, you nutter! Saurischians are 'lizard hipped' dinosaurs!

Actually your both right, cos technically Sauropods (along with Theropods) are both Saurischians, but... I'll shut up now

Thanks for posting all of these chumpanzie. I won't have time to read them for a few days but they really do look fascinating.

Old articles like this are as good as it gets with cryptozoology.

Thanks old rover, i knew a true fortean would appreciate them. More to come as i find them.

Anonymous~ said:
I'm not sure. What I am sure of though is that the director of that movie should be fed to dinosaurs, assuming they ever are cloned. :D

OH YEA ! ... I LOVE SATURDAY AFTERNOON B MOVIES ON SIFI CHANNEL.. BUT THE GUY WHO MADE THAT MOVIE NEEDS TO BE TIED TO A TREE UNDER A FULL MOON AND COVERED IN BBQ SAUCE..... LOL

I've just discovered something I'd been heretofore unaware of: there's a whole subculture of fundamentalist Christians who mount cryptozoological expeditions to Papua New Guinea in search of living pterosaurs and dinosaurs to prove their young-earth-creationist worldview. Quite interesting stuff, with a lot of eyewitness sightings, albeit collected by researchers with a clear bias.

https://creation.com/theropod-and-sauropod-dinosaurs-sighted-in-png
http://www.livingpterosaur.com/

...and many more

Always Papua New Guinea, isn't it? Wasn't there a pterosaur spotted in the US of A a few decades ago, out in the desert? Might have been Mexico. Sorry if that's not vague enough, but I read about it in one of those Peter Haining books - I think the punchline was that the witnesses managed to clip off the tip of one wing and keep it. Is this ringing any bells?

Always Papua New Guinea, isn't it? Wasn't there a pterosaur spotted in the US of A a few decades ago, out in the desert? Might have been Mexico. Sorry if that's not vague enough, but I read about it in one of those Peter Haining books - I think the punchline was that the witnesses managed to clip off the tip of one wing and keep it. Is this ringing any bells?
Yep, Texas seems to have had a few sightings. Interestingly, some of the creationists claim that the Marfa lights, usually the province of UFOlogy, are in fact bioluminescent pterosaurs!

Wasn't there a pterosaur spotted in the US of A a few decades ago, out in the desert? Might have been Mexico.

I remember a telly programme about a team of scientists (the Smithsonian?) who reconstructed a life-sized pterosaur as a remote-controlled glider. They - IIRC - flew it in desert terrain.

I've tried Googling, but come up dry.

maximus otter

I remember a telly programme

I've tried Googling, but come up dry.

maximus otter

Not quite it but maybe on the right track
comments mention a film called Wargames.

I also remember a tv programme about it, radio controlled model and all that.

Back