• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Living In The Past: Retro / Vintage Homes & Lifestyles

When we move one of these days, and I put up all my vintage stuff, I'll post some photos -
Mr. R says my favorite word is 'vintage', and everything I buy looks like it stepped out of an ancient castle - candelabras, huge old cast iron lamps, carved mahogany furniture - everything has to be antique.
All that will be missing is a dragon!

There's nothing like a good bit of lino.
Once saw a very bored Sting on a kiddy programme fielding questions from the audience - "so when did you first know you liked music ?".
'When I was a kid I used to play on the linoleum' replied he - immediately Michaela Strachan butts in 'oooh what sort of instrument is that then ?'
The look of utter contempt he gave her still gives me a warm glow.

My brother and me stayed at Swanage (Dorset) on a trip in 2019 and took the steam train to Corfe Castle. Getting back to the B&B my brother realised he had lost his glasses, so next morning we drove early to Corfe again to retrace our steps. Whilst he made enquiries at the NT Tea Rooms (where thankfully the glasses had been handed in), I tried to get access to the railway platform for a search, but it was too early for the station to open. The Station Master, deciding that unlocking the main doors would be too much faff, kindly let me follow him through his living quarters as a short cut to the platforms. His rooms were private, no-one saw them - but it was pure late 1930's, the coal fire, the rug, the mantle clock, the antimacassars on the small armchair, the lack of a TV - everything you would expect from a Station Master in the age of steam trains, but it didn't feel like re-enactment.

Railway Corfe.jpg

Someone seriously desiring to live in 19th century rural America might be interested in purchasing this closed Missouri historical re-enactment village theme park.
Missouri theme park modeled after 1800s town for sale

A shuttered 1800s-inspired theme park nestled away in a wooded area in central Missouri is up for sale to the tune of $295,000.

Current owner Marion Shipman and his family built the tourist attraction, ... about 55 miles west of the Lake of the Ozarks. ...

When it opened in 1979, guests only had to pay a general admission fee of $3 to get a glimpse of what life was like in the area in the 19th century.

The pioneer-style village sits on 20 acres of land and is made up of more than 20 buildings – including two authentic cabins from the 1830s, a steam-powered grist mill, an old jail, a schoolhouse, a general store, a tavern, a blacksmith shop, a post office, and a cozy one-bedroom cottage that the owner lives in. ...
FULL STORY (With Photos): https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/1960s-pioneer-theme-park-for-sale-in-missouri/
See Also: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...t-attraction-for-sale-Missouri/5561655753802/

Back