• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Living UFOs (Cryptozoology)

Xanatic said:
Yeah, different sky falls have been theorized to have something to do with living aliens. For example if there are giant jelly fish up there, maybe it is their corpses that are star jelly.

Not sure if there is a better place (couldn't find one) but here is Mark Pilkington's most recent piece in the Garudian:

The blobs

Mark Pilkington
Thursday January 13, 2005
The Guardian

"It appeared larger than the sun, illumined the hemisphere nearly as light as day. [And when it fell] a large company of the citizens immediately repaired to the spot and found a body of fetid jelly, four feet in diameter," Scientific American, 1846.

This description of a spectacular meteorite fall is a fine example of the phenomenon named by Welsh shepherds, pwdre (sometimes powdre) ser or "the rot of the stars" and also known as star slough, star shot, star spawn or star jelly. These gelatinous blobs, usually whitish, translucent and foul smelling, have been associated with meteorite falls for centuries. In 1656 the metaphysical poet Henry More observed that "the Starres eat those falling Starres, as some call them, which are found on the earth in the form of a trembling gelly, are their excrement". Often found in early mornings, the jellies usually dry up quickly, disappearing to almost nothing as the day warms up.

Most meteors, composed of rock and ore, burn up instantly on hitting the Earth's atmosphere, so gelatinous material wouldn't stand a chance - this is certainly not space gunk. Since at least the early 18th century, the most common earthbound explanation for the mystery goo has been that it is something vomited up by birds or animals; the Welsh naturalist Thomas Pennant, writing later that century, considered this the answer.

Currently popular is the idea that the grey gloop is frog spawn barfed up by amphibian-eating creatures, though no frogs' eggs have ever actually been identified within it, and most finds are a good deal larger than your average frog. A recent refinement of the concept is that if a frog is swallowed prior to ovulation, its regurgitated egg duct - which swells dramatically when wet - holds the properties necessary to identify it as pwdre ser.

But that doesn't mean that jellies never fall from within the atmosphere, as frogs, fish and other critters are occasionally wont to do. In 1995 a translucent jelly-like substance - "enough to fill a kettle" according to the finder - was discovered in a garden in Horley, Oxfordshire; while in 1983, Reading, Massachusetts was pelted with a greyish-white jelly which, when analysed, proved not to be waste from an aircraft, as was first assumed. Clearly better lab analysis is what's required, though we'd prefer that you didn't send your goo samples to Life.

Source

I found some pwdre ser in my garden when I was about 13.

I was naturally very intreaged, being slightly geeky and knowing about pwdre ser having read about it in several books on the unexplained I poked and prodded at this near see though jelly for a good minite with a stick and attempted to lift it up too (not with my hands) it was very slippery. I then went to the kitchin to get a jar to put it in, bythe time i came back out it had gone leaving no trace.
This was a mystery what could it be? debreis from a meteorite? frogspawn? (it looked like frogspawn without tadpoles growing in it but it was a lot thinner in consistancy)

the mystery was solved though when my cat decided to make some more pwdre ser out of it's bottom a few minites later :hmm:
Animals tend to produce mucus like this when they have a lot of hard stool in their system and put off removing it, and it could explain many if not all cases of pwdre ser I think.

Lord_Flashheart said:
I found some pwdre ser in my garden when I was about 13.

the mystery was solved though when my cat decided to make some more pwdre ser out of it's bottom a few minites later :hmm:
Animals tend to produce mucus like this when they have a lot of hard stool in their system and put off removing it, and it could explain many if not all cases of pwdre ser I think.

I found some too, about 20 years ago, while wandering around my neighborhood after a big summer afternoon thunderstorm, checking out the damage. It was about the size (and, roughly, the shape) of one's head, resting in the wet grass near a utility pole/streetlamp. I was about 20 at the time, so my memory and perception was reasonably mature. I poked it, too (squishy, viscous; not particularly sticky though).

I lived (then as now) in the middle of the US, and have a fair amount of experience around large animals. Cows don't poop this big. Horses don't poop this big. Bison don't poop this big. Elephants do, ...but then you'd have to explain the elephant being on my street (practically in front of the picture window through which I was watching the storm) in the middle of a town in North America, in the middle of a big storm. I didn't see any meteor-like activity, either. Or any large frogs (or mobs of spawning regular-sized frogs).

I won't say that what appears to be pwdre sur is never mucous; I'll just say that if what I saw was mucous, then I still want to know what produced it in the first place.

T

What you saw sounds more gelatinus and perhaps larger than the mucusy gel (although mucusy gel can potentially build up in such a large amount, much larger than a stool if the blockage and irratation is suficient). You may have seen a slime mold (a quite rare occurace I belive although, I'm no expert on fungi so i might be wrong) so don't worry you probably weren't prodding something that had come out of somethings arse.

Slime molds are another possible explanation for pwdre ser too :)

edited for a wording error

BUMP

I still want to believe in giant sky jellyfish.
Link is dead. No archived version found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bisto~ said:
From one of the links Lupus psoted

"On September 11, 1948…thousands of birds of different species were killed or injured when they crashed into the Empire State Building in New York City"

A sign of things to come? No but strange anyway
Just about 5 minutes before I read that, a bird crashed into my window, just a few feet from where I'm sitting! Spooky, eh? ;)

I recall seeing a programme about flying rods a few years ago.
Whatever your view on them, there were several that looked to be huge, much, much larger than an insect or bird.

his isn't the programme, but it does have some great shots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amnNgXRK_vo

I have been capturing sky creatures on video for years.

Last edited:
Back