LOA (The Law of Attraction)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
This is intriguing. Care to elaborate? (You can PM me if you're willing but don't want to discuss it publicly.) ...
Just for clarification ... The transitions involved were relatively mundane, but the outcome(s) at each stage, and particularly at the culmination / final stage, were treated as remarkable by friends and family. We're talking "life-changing", but not anything like "paranormally magical" or "spiritually transformative". Still want to hear about it?

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Just for clarification ... The transitions involved were relatively mundane, but the outcome(s) at each stage, and particularly at the culmination / final stage, were treated as remarkable by friends and family. We're talking "life-changing", but not anything like "paranormally magical" or "spiritually transformative". Still want to hear about it?
Of course! :)

Ulalume

tart of darkness
I can attest to the veracity here. I suspect lots of us get lazy on the journey and drop our discipline along the way. I can see my entire framework of personality crumbling and I tell myself I must have been cursed, but, if I'm honest, I am merely unwilling to put in the effort to bind up my lifethreads and do the work I know I am capable of. And this after a career as pretty much a positive enabler for the paths of my students. That isn't ironic. It's just poor motivation.

Don't be too hard on yourself, it's not always easy to see where the most advantageous path lay, or where the weaknesses are. These are blind spots to most of us, especially if our lives have been complicated ones.

My clearest example of this is a bit esoteric but pretty blatant at the same time - I once worked a spell to stop someone's pernicious gossip. It did stop, too, within days - because law enforcement suddenly took an interest in the person. I certainly didn't intend that to happen, I just wanted them to stop saying terrible things! But given the stubborn nature of the gossiper, this was the path of least resistance I hadn't bargained for.

Nothing came of the law enforcement issue, BTW, though the gossiper did seem to learn their lesson. All the same, getting the authorities involved was never something I had in mind.

brownmane

Ephemeral Spectre
I don't particularly like the base idea of "law of attraction". I think that it tends to make people judge themselves and others - you must have done something terrible to have that happen to you.

Life happens. We do not choose where or under what circumstances we are born. There are those of us who have not been born in a third world or war torn country. We do not choose how our childhoods unfold. It is not fair to say that LOA had any part in some of our life experiences.

I do believe that if you really want something, you can use visualization, spells, rituals and other tools to help focus on what is necessary in aiding you to achieve it. But you have to actively work toward that goal. If you want a new job, for example, you would research what qualifications are needed, who is hiring etc.

You can change how you view an experience from a negative to a positive outlook. And research has shown that optimists fare better with downturns in life than pessimists...

But there is no such thing as if you think positively, that you will grow another limb (if you lost one in an accident). Nor did you lose that limb because you are a terrible person and deserved it as per LOA.