• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

LOA (The Law Of Attraction)

Everything I've ever wanted as opposed to needed has been bad for me. I've often had reason to feel glad later when my foolishness was thwarted. :chuckle:
I'll admit that some things I have wanted and got, despite warnings from others, have ultimately proved bad for me, but boy, would not have missed the experiences for the world.

Oh another thing - Karma.....

I have had some bad experiences in my life relationship wise. 2 exes.

Both of them did awful things in different ways/circumstances. If there was karma surely they would both be suffering in relationships where they were being gaslighted/their partners were having affairs/they were generous and ended up with nothing left/they were being controlled/bullied/threatened/they were ghosted etc?

Both of them seem to be doing well now. Couldn't help myself but searched/found both of them on social media and they are both married now. I didn't contact them because I have no intention of every wasting any more time with them than I already have and I have nothing to say to them at all.

I long to meet someone special to enjoy life with. But nothing seems to happen. I have tried dating etc, tried not looking, tried evening classes and going out socially, going out alone to places (I am actually really fed up with my own company by now. Thank **** I have a cat in my lodgings to talk to). I just don't meet anyone right for me. Before lockdown I had finished a temp job/got fed up with going out and fed up with everything. Lockdown was actually quite welcome for me. I am applying for jobs/going for interviews and doing my best but nothing so far. The thought of having to go out every day to work/spend time with other people actually fills me with dread in reality.

I used to love meeting people and being social - when I was in relationship no 1 I ended up in London and liked the transport being so much better for getting out and about. But there are downsides to London too.

As you get older you end up being the oldest single in the group and there aren't any other singles there apart from much younger people who have no reason to want to pair up with you.

I have put a lot of work into learning new skills, applying for different jobs, trying to look on the positive possibilities that might be out there. I have worked so hard - and many people would see all my qualifications as success (especially as I was written off at 11). But they seem to have lead me into a line of work that hit a dead end and when I tried to learn new things/change that didn't work out. Many people would see me leaving that work and trying something new as success - but it didn't lead anywhere positive.

My experience so far is not very positive. And some of the learning new skills/getting qualifications etc was 10 years ago. I didn't manage to make enough money in those new skills/jobs to carry on. I have transferable skills, and apply for different jobs but I suspect when employers have others with directly related work experience they would rather take them on.

Being on my own I need to earn enough to live on. And in reality by the age of 50 I anticipated having a much more happy life with a companion, pets and home to live in, friends and social life. I never thought I would be on my own living like Miss Havisham (minus the wealth of course).....

If I could go in a time machine and warn myself I would.....

But Law of attraction/karma......
Pah - only 2 exes. You've done well then, compared to my illustrious past. :hahazebs:

As Victory, RJ and Brownmane have said, try not to look back, or judge yourself harshly, or think you have failed, easier said than done I know. It's a trite old comment, but there is some truth in the suggestion of being more kind to yourself.
My view is that social media is partly responsible for people comparing their life to what they see there, and unable to comprehend that what they see is usually wholly artificial.

The big rule in my life is that every few years, everything changes.
Opportunities, bereavement, the sudden needs of others, maybe a windfall - factors outside my control step in to jiggle things up a bit and I have to deal with it all.

I'll admit that some things I have wanted and got, despite warnings from others, have ultimately proved bad for me, but boy, would not have missed the experiences for the world.
There's the rub. You know you shouldn't, you know you'll come off worse, but DAMN it's* fun. :chuckle:

*Or as often in my case, 'he'. ;)

Last edited:
Pah - only 2 exes. You've done well then, compared to my illustrious past. :hahazebs:

As Victory, RJ and Brownmane have said, try not to look back, or judge yourself harshly, or think you have failed, easier said than done I know. It's a trite old comment, but there is some truth in the suggestion of being more kind to yourself.
My view is that social media is partly responsible for people comparing their life to what they see there, and unable to comprehend that what they see is usually wholly artificial.
I had 1 ex I spent many years with. I thought we would eventually get married and grow old together. Instead he left me for someone from a married couple we befriended. He never admitted it (even when I calmly asked him) but all the evidence was there. I would have forgiven him if he had apologised and agreed to end the relationship with the other person. I can look back at the last year or so of that relationship and the hell I was in as that relationship developed in secret and I was gaslighted/blamed for anything he didn't like. He changed a lot of his likes and dislikes during that period - suddenly he liked what she did......
After all the years we spent together I was nobody to him overnight. I saw him out with her. He never even acknowledged my existence.
He was with the person he left me for for a while but is married to someone else now.
I can imagine him travelling light into the new relationships, ready to acquire/put on his uniform in his new role.....
I think he is a bit like an empty person. He fills himself up with all the things the women like in order to appear a perfect match. But it is more like he is putting on a uniform and appearing to be that.....I don't reckon anyone knows the real him. I think he just uses other people for as long as suits him and then moves on. I don't think he has a real emotional attachment to anything other than himself.
Some of his behaviours with me were disturbing/frightening. I even think he is possibly a psychopath.

The second relationship was with someone I knew and liked. But I wasn't really in a good place for a new relationship. And he had baggage/issues from his previous experiences. I think he wanted to mould me into what he wanted. Some of his behaviour was disturbing too at times. I suspect he wasn't well. I ended our relationship as gently as I could. His final act of nasty-ness was very cruel and sick.

Other than that I had a few crap dates. I met an odd fellow. He turned out to be someone out for a few dates/ghosting.
But now I have spent more of my life alone than with another person. Sadly, life with the right person is what I have always craved.

But I seem to be an anti-magnet.....

Do us all a favour, stop dating assholes.

Do us all a favour, stop dating assholes.
That is why I haven't dated since around 2002.
Doesn't stop me feeling part of me is not living though - were humans meant to be solitary?

I think I could cope with being a relationship failure if I had been successful career wise, but no.....just a total failure.... :hahazebs:

I had 1 ex I spent many years with. I thought we would eventually get married and grow old together. Instead he left me for someone from a married couple we befriended. He never admitted it (even when I calmly asked him) but all the evidence was there. I would have forgiven him if he had apologised and agreed to end the relationship with the other person. I can look back at the last year or so of that relationship and the hell I was in as that relationship developed in secret and I was gaslighted/blamed for anything he didn't like. He changed a lot of his likes and dislikes during that period - suddenly he liked what she did......
After all the years we spent together I was nobody to him overnight. I saw him out with her. He never even acknowledged my existence.
He was with the person he left me for for a while but is married to someone else now.
I can imagine him travelling light into the new relationships, ready to acquire/put on his uniform in his new role.....
I think he is a bit like an empty person. He fills himself up with all the things the women like in order to appear a perfect match. But it is more like he is putting on a uniform and appearing to be that.....I don't reckon anyone knows the real him. I think he just uses other people for as long as suits him and then moves on. I don't think he has a real emotional attachment to anything other than himself.
Some of his behaviours with me were disturbing/frightening. I even think he is possibly a psychopath.

The second relationship was with someone I knew and liked. But I wasn't really in a good place for a new relationship. And he had baggage/issues from his previous experiences. I think he wanted to mould me into what he wanted. Some of his behaviour was disturbing too at times. I suspect he wasn't well. I ended our relationship as gently as I could. His final act of nasty-ness was very cruel and sick.

Other than that I had a few crap dates. I met an odd fellow. He turned out to be someone out for a few dates/ghosting.
But now I have spent more of my life alone than with another person. Sadly, life with the right person is what I have always craved.

But I seem to be an anti-magnet.....
But you cannot control anyone else, you can only control yourself. Just because those men were wrong for you, doesn't mean there aren't others who are right for you.
And excuse me for saying so, but those men sound so gloomy - sounds like you need some really happy people around you, happiness is one of the most important things in life, just my opinion.
You may not think so now, but one day you may look back and ask yourself what on earth you saw in them. How about attending some self-esteem classes, learn to work on yourself, the heck with those experiences, that is a reflection on them.
Seeing a good therapist is a help in self-discovery and moving on to a positive life.
Please find a recommended doctor / therapist, they really do help, I'm only speaking from my own experience, Good Luck!

But you cannot control anyone else, you can only control yourself. Just because those men were wrong for you, doesn't mean there aren't others who are right for you.
And excuse me for saying so, but those men sound so gloomy - sounds like you need some really happy people around you, happiness is one of the most important things in life, just my opinion.
You may not think so now, but one day you may look back and ask yourself what on earth you saw in them. How about attending some self-esteem classes, learn to work on yourself, the heck with those experiences, that is a reflection on them.
Seeing a good therapist is a help in self-discovery and moving on to a positive life.
Please find a recommended doctor / therapist, they really do help, I'm only speaking from my own experience, Good Luck!
I looked back and wondered at how my 17 year old self could have been interested in No 1. I read all the letters he wrote to me in the early days before destroying them....I must have seen what I wanted to see at the time. Hormones/feeling cared for/wanted swept me away.
And I wanted not to end up in a relationship with affair/divorce like my parents - ha ha, that worked out really well.
It was me dragging a heavy weight behind me and I couldn't see it.
Second one was not well.
Third one not looking for real relationships.

There were some fun times in the past with/without number 1. I thought he was a fun person, but I think he just sat around going along with things around him while it suited. It was always me taking us to new adventures, going out, visiting places, moving, going to college, getting jobs etc.....

I looked back and wondered at how my 17 year old self could have been interested in No 1. I read all the letters he wrote to me in the early days before destroying them....I must have seen what I wanted to see at the time. Hormones/feeling cared for/wanted swept me away.
And I wanted not to end up in a relationship with affair/divorce like my parents - ha ha, that worked out really well.
It was me dragging a heavy weight behind me and I couldn't see it.
Second one was not well.
Third one not looking for real relationships.

There were some fun times in the past with/without number 1. I thought he was a fun person, but I think he just sat around going along with things around him while it suited.
Please find a great therapist who can help you out of living in the past, and look for something happy to do every single day -
Look forward, move on.

@Earthly oddity, I do agree with the several suggestions to have a visit with a therapist. Having someone who can help you to see things objectively with no criticism can really help. The visits can be one time only, or as needed.

In the past, I have gone to a counselor when I greatly needed it. I maybe went for six months (only six sessions). She helped me put things into perspective and I did work with CBT techniques which helped me to learn at lot about how I can change my perception from a negative one to a more realistic one.

It is difficult when you are seeing everything in a negative sense. Your brain actually starts to hardwire itself into these patterns. But it can also learn new patterns.

The brain and research being done with it, is particularly interesting to me.

Take care:bpals:

Hey, I just want to say, I am going to stay off this thread. Before I get banned from it for deviating from the purpose! I really will make this my last post on this thread.....
I do appreciate your suggestions too.

I have humour/can actually laugh at some of my bad experiences. I can even laugh at myself too. I am not just a grumpy sod. I have a friend that said I should try doing stand up comedy. Maybe one day I will.....

I have had some CBT in the past. I would have liked to try something different but when I asked for this I didn't seem to get much help from the doctor....Then the pandemic took over.

I think my age is not making me feel great either....I am conscious of time running out....and the statistical likelihood for finding the person for me is probably decreasing....
I may end up being one of those women who ends up in a old peeps home dancing with another woman coz all the men are dead.....:oops: :rofl:

I am ok. At least that is what the cat says...... :hahazebs: :rofl:

@Earthly oddity, I do agree with the several suggestions to have a visit with a therapist. Having someone who can help you to see things objectively with no criticism can really help. The visits can be one time only, or as needed.

In the past, I have gone to a counselor when I greatly needed it. I maybe went for six months (only six sessions). She helped me put things into perspective and I did work with CBT techniques which helped me to learn at lot about how I can change my perception from a negative one to a more realistic one.

It is difficult when you are seeing everything in a negative sense. Your brain actually starts to hardwire itself into these patterns. But it can also learn new patterns.

The brain and research being done with it, is particularly interesting to me.

Take care:bpals:
Brings to mind what my Mum always said, "Before you walk out the door in the morning to start your day, stand up straight, pull your shoulders back, and put a Smile on your face!"
I do that every morning without thinking now, and it has helped me more than I can say, it somehow puts a happy face on things.

How about putting a leash on the cat and taking it for a nice long walk in the area?
Bet you'll meet quite a few people!

How about putting a leash on the cat and taking it for a nice long walk in the area?
Bet you'll meet quite a few people!
Going off topic even further I remember seeing a young woman taking a walk in our local park. She was attracting a lot of attention and walking past saw that she had a huge long haired cat in her back pack. The cat was loving the attention.

That is why I haven't dated since around 2002.
Doesn't stop me feeling part of me is not living though - were humans meant to be solitary?

I think I could cope with being a relationship failure if I had been successful career wise, but no.....just a total failure.... :hahazebs:
You're not a failure. You're still around, connecting with us. :)

Going off topic even further I remember seeing a young woman taking a walk in our local park. She was attracting a lot of attention and walking past saw that she had a huge long haired cat in her back pack. The cat was loving the attention.
I was just giving Earth Oddity a new way of meeting some interesting people.
I always walked our cats on leashes, people always stopped to talk, the cats loved it, they are just like dogs and want to get out.

Yes most cats don't like being restrained.
I s'pose you have to start them early with it. Most of my cats have been rehomes so I haven't had them from a young enough age to train them to it.

Not that I'd consider it anyway. If I felt a need to parade a pussy around the park on a lead I'm sure one of our esteemed posters would oblige.
Like the deleted Leatherman smiley only with a bell round his neck.

I s'pose you have to start them early with it. Most of my cats have been rehomes so I haven't had them from a young enough age to train them to it.

Not that I'd consider it anyway. If I felt a need to parade a pussy around the park on a lead I'm sure one of our esteemed posters would oblige.
Like the deleted Leatherman smiley only with a bell round his neck.
My feline friend uses the law of attraction - she lures me to cuddle her with her invisible eyebeams.........

She is very gentle/loving. She would not be up for a walk on a leash though - she likes a stroll in the garden but doesn't go out for very long. She likes her home comforts.

My feline friend uses the law of attraction - she lures me to cuddle her with her invisible eyebeams.........

She is very gentle/loving. She would not be up for a walk on a leash though - she likes a stroll in the garden but doesn't go out for very long. She likes her home comforts.
Have you put pics of her on our "Cats and People" thread? Sorry, I don't know how to do links for threads.

I am curious as what people's opinions are of LOA, and apologies if this topic has already been discussed.

When I was addicted to psychic readings on an ex lover, you'd be amazed at the amount of readers who threw in LOA and free will to protect themselves.

I talk about psychics because they most commonly use good old LOA as an excuse to cover up for their fake fraudulent readings by saying 'well you have free will', or 'haven't practised LOA properly'.

I met lots of people when addicted to readings who were told by readers to practise LOA and they would get their ex back and whatever else they wanted just by following affirmations and being positive, good karma etc.

I was told many crazy things by psychics such as I need to look at myself in the mirror each day and tell myself that I love myself and many other bizarre requests, and picture myself with the ex telling them that I'm letting them go for them to come back when they are ready. I will admit, at my deepest, darkest times when I was desperate for my ex partner to return, I did practise some.. Lesser bizarre affirmations (par the above ones!).

What I found was, LOA can be quite dangerous. You see when you are telling someone, 'yes! Your ex will be back as long as you follow LOA', it puts enormous amounts of pressure on the person... They worry if they are completing the affirmations correctly, if they're thinking about the ex too much and what about the ex they're thinking (which is bound to happen), if they have done this and that, and what I found was the ex hardly ever returned to them anyway. So they are thinking, 'I'm completing LOA, it's so great! I feel good because it's all peace and positivity, but am I doing it properly and why is nothing happening?'.

People don't obviously just use LOA about exes but I'm just using this as an example for why I think LOA can be very unhealthy and possibly.. Dangerous to delve in.

LOA is (in my opinion) a "fake" form of destiny and free will mixed.. If you succeed with your affirmations, you WILL get the job, the perfect partner this and that. But if you do not, then you won't get your wish fulfilled.

I have never seen LOA work out for people in my experience, I firmly personally -- (and others are welcome to their own opinion) believe that things are either meant to happen or they don't.

It seems crazy to me that psychics/some scientists/Joe Bloggs have told people that they can manifest anything they want, just by LOA. Some things in life we are not meant to have, simply, or are. No LOA or telling ourselves we love ourselves in the mirror will change an outcome.

I also think it's terrible that readers are telling people to practise false hope in that their exes will definitely be back if they follow LOA. Their exes never did come back surprise surprise. Neither did mine.

So, I'm curious to know what others' experiences are of LOA..

Of course it isn't all about wanting exes back, it's just as people may know I put out my story on here earlier this year about my addictions to readings and LOA has made me very sceptical from that. I know all of the tricks of the psychic trade having been addicted, and met people addicted to them.

I really find it hard to believe that you can manifest anything you like, surely you use common sense and work hard at things if you want a brand new shining top range car on your driveway, that it isn't about LOA? It doesn't just land on your driveway because you practised LOA.

I find it all rather ludicrous. All of this being positive and positive things happening to you is crap. I know happy positive people who have had the worst people come in their lives and the worst luck/things happening to them and they still were good people and happy and put out good karma to others, and it seems sometimes the nastiest unpleasant people seem to have laid back happy lives.

Sorry to some if I'm talking waffle, but these are my views on this subject and it would take lots for me to budge my opinion. I have had premonitions once or twice that came true and nothing could stop them, so I do have some part believe in predestined events and things that are meant to happen will do. Of course that is my opinion.
My opinion on LOA, is that it's codswallop.

So called spiritual leaders

I am curious as what people's opinions are of LOA, and apologies if this topic has already been discussed.

When I was addicted to psychic readings on an ex lover, you'd be amazed at the amount of readers who threw in LOA and free will to protect themselves.

I talk about psychics because they most commonly use good old LOA as an excuse to cover up for their fake fraudulent readings by saying 'well you have free will', or 'haven't practised LOA properly'.

I met lots of people when addicted to readings who were told by readers to practise LOA and they would get their ex back and whatever else they wanted just by following affirmations and being positive, good karma etc.

I was told many crazy things by psychics such as I need to look at myself in the mirror each day and tell myself that I love myself and many other bizarre requests, and picture myself with the ex telling them that I'm letting them go for them to come back when they are ready. I will admit, at my deepest, darkest times when I was desperate for my ex partner to return, I did practise some.. Lesser bizarre affirmations (par the above ones!).

What I found was, LOA can be quite dangerous. You see when you are telling someone, 'yes! Your ex will be back as long as you follow LOA', it puts enormous amounts of pressure on the person... They worry if they are completing the affirmations correctly, if they're thinking about the ex too much and what about the ex they're thinking (which is bound to happen), if they have done this and that, and what I found was the ex hardly ever returned to them anyway. So they are thinking, 'I'm completing LOA, it's so great! I feel good because it's all peace and positivity, but am I doing it properly and why is nothing happening?'.

People don't obviously just use LOA about exes but I'm just using this as an example for why I think LOA can be very unhealthy and possibly.. Dangerous to delve in.

LOA is (in my opinion) a "fake" form of destiny and free will mixed.. If you succeed with your affirmations, you WILL get the job, the perfect partner this and that. But if you do not, then you won't get your wish fulfilled.

I have never seen LOA work out for people in my experience, I firmly personally -- (and others are welcome to their own opinion) believe that things are either meant to happen or they don't.

It seems crazy to me that psychics/some scientists/Joe Bloggs have told people that they can manifest anything they want, just by LOA. Some things in life we are not meant to have, simply, or are. No LOA or telling ourselves we love ourselves in the mirror will change an outcome.

I also think it's terrible that readers are telling people to practise false hope in that their exes will definitely be back if they follow LOA. Their exes never did come back surprise surprise. Neither did mine.

So, I'm curious to know what others' experiences are of LOA..

Of course it isn't all about wanting exes back, it's just as people may know I put out my story on here earlier this year about my addictions to readings and LOA has made me very sceptical from that. I know all of the tricks of the psychic trade having been addicted, and met people addicted to them.

I really find it hard to believe that you can manifest anything you like, surely you use common sense and work hard at things if you want a brand new shining top range car on your driveway, that it isn't about LOA? It doesn't just land on your driveway because you practised LOA.

I find it all rather ludicrous. All of this being positive and positive things happening to you is crap. I know happy positive people who have had the worst people come in their lives and the worst luck/things happening to them and they still were good people and happy and put out good karma to others, and it seems sometimes the nastiest unpleasant people seem to have laid back happy lives.

Sorry to some if I'm talking waffle, but these are my views on this subject and it would take lots for me to budge my opinion. I have had premonitions once or twice that came true and nothing could stop them, so I do have some part believe in predestined events and things that are meant to happen will do. Of course that is my opinion.
While I think LOA is codswallop, I would like to think there is a believable spiritual way of manifesting money, as I have a lot of repairs I need to do to my home.
I am 55 and the only people I know with money at my age, are those who saved.
I invested wrongly, so, as I realise I did wrong, I hope I can "somehow" manifest the money to put things right.
I don't want riches, just enough, debt free, enough money to feel freedom and safety, and I am happy without the luxuries I WANT, yet the money I NEED would bring me peace of mind, so I can stop obsessing about feared imminent disasters ands get on with working on my goals.
There is a video on YouTube about the dark side of new age gurus.
They manifest money, ok, as they charge hundreds for people to attend LOA workshops, but they rip off vulnerable desperate people who need money, and who don't get it, they also accuse them of not thinking positive enough when their LOA practice does not work.

Last edited:
A standard online reference regarding this states sonething along the lines of "The Law of Attraction is one of the most powerful laws in the universe. What you think about is what you bring about into your life. You can improve your life drastically by improving the thoughts that you dwell upon and the actions that you take"

Now (setting-aside for the moment that truly-extraordinary claims really do require utterly-extraordinary evidence) and focussing just upon the expectations & desires: importantly, from the perspective of the supplicant.

• “The law of attraction states that whatever you focus on, think about, read about, and talk about intensely, you’re going to attract more of into your life.”
My problem with this, is, quite-aside from mechanism...what about all those other sentient individuals in the universe? What if their desires & expectations are in diametric conflict with yours? Who gets the prize?

• “Ask for what you want and be prepared to get it...it’s unlimited what the universe can bring when you understand the great secret that thoughts become things.”
But that's a key LOA problem. If this thought-becomes-things concept does actually work (somehow....) then how much time need elapse, in waiting? To deliver? A thousand milliseconds? Or minutes/hours/days?

• “What you think, you create. What you feel, you attract. What you imagine, you become.”
Does this only apply to positive things, within the belief set? If so, in what sense? I may desire all sorts of things, but in a more-absolute frame of reference, attaining these wants could (conceivably) spell my end. Does the universe somehow know this, too, and therefore benevolently fails to deliver?

We then start to fall-down an inferential trap of deconstructive doubt (inescapably: don't you agree?)
I believe I attracted bullies at school, by the scared vibe I gave off. In that way I believe in LOA.
Low self esteem attracts abusers.
Creative people who actually produce creative stuff, or creatively influence others, attract positive people.
Moaners attract miserable people, misery loves company, so, in that respect, on an energetic level, yeah, LOA does exist, but as for these new age gurus, they are grifters who just prey on the desperate, in debt, poor people and take fees for workshops and feed them loads of bullshit.

Seems of it worked there'd be many fewer starving kids.
While I don't believe in LOA, I do believe if we think in terms of lack, we will not look for ways to manifest money (not LOA) and we will not be abler to afford to feed our kids.

I believe I attracted bullies at school, by the scared vibe I gave off. In that way I believe in LOA.
Low self esteem attracts abusers.
Creative people who actually produce creative stuff, or creatively influence others, attract positive people.
Moaners attract miserable people, misery loves company, so, in that respect, on an energetic level, yeah, LOA does exist, but as for these new age gurus, they are grifters who just prey on the desperate, in debt, poor people and take fees for workshops and feed them loads of bullshit.
I've been expecting to win something on the lottery, and last night got 4 out of 5 numbers on our Cash 5 (only $600, but something).
And you're reminding me of an old friend, she was very unhappy and broke, two failed marriages, and she went to a charlatan 'fortuneteller' who told her she was 'cursed', and that it would cost so many hundreds to remove the curse.
I laughed, but she handed over money she didn't have, for nothing.

As it was free to view on Amazon Prime, I watched the docudrama all about this, called The Secret.

It started off OK and I was willing to believe that positive thinking can influence your life for the better.

When I was in my younger and fairly impoverished days for example, I would often think positively about having a decent house, nice car, a foreign wife and eventually two children (one of each). As it happened, it did work out exactly like that. But I don't believe there was any mysterious universal force behind it. It was me motivating myself to achieve these things (obviously it was just luck that the kids worked out that way).

So motivate yourselves to achieve what you want in life. Nothing wrong with that.
When "The Secret" started suggesting that cancer and other serious diseases could be beaten through positive thought alone though, I felt it was straying into dangerous waters.
I used to wish the LOA was real, as I could do with manifesting a lot of money, not for riches, but for home repairs, to make my modest home, structurally safe.
I don't want luxury.
I never even bothered with "The Secret"
I wish LOA was real and I would get on with affirmations, but I think its rubbish.
I like to think there is a spiritual believable way for me to manifest "enough money" to feel less stressed about my home, rather than wishing I had not invested poorly or not saved hard enough in my twenties.
I like to think that as I realise I erred, the universe will be kind to me, not to provide luxury (would be nice, but not needed) I like to think, I can atone for my mistakes and find a way to manifest "enough" rather than stress about money at my age when I should be chilling out with paid mortgage like others my age. I'd be happy to stay in my small modest flat, so long as I feel money-worry-free and I can somehow afford to fix the structural defects, in other words, I would like what I need, (financial peace of mind) rather than what I want (a nice holiday in Iceland, specialist disability driving lessons and a posh car)

(Emphasis added)

It's important to note that the majority of widely-promoted (and widely-exploited for profit) descriptions of the LOA downplay, obscure, or completely omit this aspect of what's required to obtain positive thoughts' prospective payoff(s). It tends to surface again only in the testimonials of those who've successfully achieved what they once merely visualized, as illustrated by another earlier post ...

(Emphasis added)

My own life experience contains two periods during which I conceptualized a completely new personal order, fixed that vision as my objective, and succeeded in realizing it. The successful outcomes from both these episodes were, and still are, treated as marvels by family and friends.

In both cases, acquaintances asked me how I'd done it and requested guidance on how to do it for themselves. The passive visualization (i.e., daydreaming) first part was no problem. Even with my advice, guidance, and aid the proactive making-it-so part wasn't completed, or sometimes not even undertaken, by more than a third of such inquirers - all of whom were successful.

My point is this ... Thinking positive thoughts constitutes nothing more than passive daydreaming. If you don't focus such daydreams down into a clear vision, you've got nothing specific to pursue. If you don't proactively pursue the vision through effective action, you have no more chance of attaining it than you have of winning the lottery without obtaining a ticket.

Having said that ... Let me circle back to the OP's stated concerns ...

The Pollyanna-style version of the LOA most commonly encountered is itself attractive because it requires no more effort than daydreaming. It skips over any mention of or mandate for personal responsibility and assures the reader / listener need only invest faith in a nebulous principle or protocol by which the universe is no more than one's drive-thru window for wish fulfillment.

At this point the seller has conned the client into believing two key things: (a) there's a mechanism at work which can be leveraged to beneficial effect and (b) one has only to privately / personally exert the required leverage to obtain that effect for him- / herself.

The seller now has the client in a position of dependence that serves as a sort of trap. If daydreaming alone doesn't seem to be working, all the seller has to do is assure the client he / she is doing it incorrectly, insufficiently, etc. The seller can readily admit it's not working, because the client is already convinced his / her internal processes are the sole causative mechanism required. The client seeks (and pays for ... ) ongoing guidance and assistance in pursuing a state of illusory mastery offered by the party benefitting from the pursuit itself.
I would just like to find a believable way of making the money in time to fix my home so that it does not deteriorate, increasing the cost of repairs.
I do talk to myself out loud, as if the repairs have already happened. I have been doing this for ages.
I do not believe in LOA as per the so called new age gurus.
People get bullied because they attract it, I am an example.
People get respect because they attract it, I know people who get resepct, so why not tangible things? Not by reading "the Secret" or believing new age garb though.
I am good at art, yet I need more money than I can make if I practice it, I want to kick back at my age, with no financial worries.
I want luxury, - I don't need it, so I accept I won't get it.
I need a safe, sound home, this modest home will do me fine, I hope I somehow can find a believable spiritual way to be positive and find a way to make the money I need, not by buying lottery tickets.
I go to bed, imagining the structural problems of my home are fixed, that I have just enough money to feel secure, that I am ok without the holiday and car I want but dont need.

You see, I worry about things like Law of Attraction, and I'm sure I can't be the only one. Because... well, I am, as they say, a bit of a worrier. Always have been, but situations over recent years have made it even worse. And when I found out about this LOA business, not all that long ago, it started to make me feel worse. Because, if I'm understanding it correctly, I've 'attracted' the negative stuff, because I've thought about it and worried about it.

And that just makes me feel horrid cos now I have guilt to contend with on top of everything else.

So I really hope there isn't anything to this LOA business.
Don't beat yourself up.
I am a worrier.
I have money worries.
THE LOA gurus are just out for profit from vulnerable people.
LOA works by low self esteem attracting bullies, high self esteem attracting respect.
I am yet to learn how to attract tangible stuff in a believable way, other than new age guru rubbish.

It seems to me that it takes a possibly genuine effect - things you think about coming into your orbit - and insinuates, if only through a lack of clarification, that it is of a magical rather than psychological nature.

It's often the case that any subject on which you dwell will seem to start popping up left right and centre very quickly..articles in magazines, adverts in shop windows, discussions on tv shows. What's actually happening, in all probability, is that your dwelling and wishing is programming your subconscious mind - which takes in far more information than your conscious mind does - to alert the latter when it encounters relevant material. You're thinking about moving to Australia and what do you know, as if by magic, there's an ad for a company promoting job opportunities in Australia. It's not that the Cosmos placed that ad there to please you but that that your subconsious alerted you to an ad you would normally have no reason to register or retain in your awareness at all.

If there is a "law of attraction/secret" that results in dreams coming true its surely in not merely noticing but positively acting on those relevant things you're now prone to noticing, and the opportunities they present...by filling in that form or attending that meeting or sending off for that product. Doing so may not result in wishes being fulfilled , but failing to do so definitely won't.
What if I want "enough moiety to get rid of my money worries" stuff I need to feel secure, as anxiety buggers up health?
I dont need luxury, I want it, but accept I cannot attract it through LOA.
I would love to order a new kitchen, which I need, yet I need money to pay for it, I need the kitchen to cook healthy foods instead of microwave meals.
I want to manifest income to give me what I NEED, and am ok with not having what I WANT.
Money worries can ultimately result in poor health, I NEED good health.
I want holidays to exotic places, a swanky car, I don't need them, I accept and am happy not to have them.

Back