• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

LOA (The Law Of Attraction)

This is intriguing. Care to elaborate? (You can PM me if you're willing but don't want to discuss it publicly.) ...

Just for clarification ... The transitions involved were relatively mundane, but the outcome(s) at each stage, and particularly at the culmination / final stage, were treated as remarkable by friends and family. We're talking "life-changing", but not anything like "paranormally magical" or "spiritually transformative". Still want to hear about it?

Just for clarification ... The transitions involved were relatively mundane, but the outcome(s) at each stage, and particularly at the culmination / final stage, were treated as remarkable by friends and family. We're talking "life-changing", but not anything like "paranormally magical" or "spiritually transformative". Still want to hear about it?

Of course! :)

I can attest to the veracity here. I suspect lots of us get lazy on the journey and drop our discipline along the way. I can see my entire framework of personality crumbling and I tell myself I must have been cursed, but, if I'm honest, I am merely unwilling to put in the effort to bind up my lifethreads and do the work I know I am capable of. And this after a career as pretty much a positive enabler for the paths of my students. That isn't ironic. It's just poor motivation.

Don't be too hard on yourself, it's not always easy to see where the most advantageous path lay, or where the weaknesses are. These are blind spots to most of us, especially if our lives have been complicated ones.

My clearest example of this is a bit esoteric but pretty blatant at the same time - I once worked a spell to stop someone's pernicious gossip. It did stop, too, within days - because law enforcement suddenly took an interest in the person. I certainly didn't intend that to happen, I just wanted them to stop saying terrible things! But given the stubborn nature of the gossiper, this was the path of least resistance I hadn't bargained for.

Nothing came of the law enforcement issue, BTW, though the gossiper did seem to learn their lesson. All the same, getting the authorities involved was never something I had in mind.

I don't particularly like the base idea of "law of attraction". I think that it tends to make people judge themselves and others - you must have done something terrible to have that happen to you.

Life happens. We do not choose where or under what circumstances we are born. There are those of us who have not been born in a third world or war torn country. We do not choose how our childhoods unfold. It is not fair to say that LOA had any part in some of our life experiences.

I do believe that if you really want something, you can use visualization, spells, rituals and other tools to help focus on what is necessary in aiding you to achieve it. But you have to actively work toward that goal. If you want a new job, for example, you would research what qualifications are needed, who is hiring etc.

You can change how you view an experience from a negative to a positive outlook. And research has shown that optimists fare better with downturns in life than pessimists...

But there is no such thing as if you think positively, that you will grow another limb (if you lost one in an accident). Nor did you lose that limb because you are a terrible person and deserved it as per LOA.

Sorry for making a thread and buggering off in the meantime not to respond.

Some points on here are interesting. I agree that if there was law of attraction, why aren't starving kids being saved and why do bad things happen to good people? Also to add, if there was a way of getting everything we wanted all of the time, imagine what an easy life we would have?

I find law of attraction can be dangerous if you can even call it that word, for people believe that they can manifest exes back to them and in the real world that doesn't seem logical. There could be an ex of ours right now manifesting trying to get you or I back but that doesn't mean that our minds will change and we will mysteriously be manipulated in wanting them back magically.

If there is a law of attraction I don't think it works the ways these naive people believe, I think it's what you send out is what you attract, but that's common sense. If I grew up being abused the likelihood of myself going into abusive relationships when I am an adult are pretty high because it's what I'm used to and what I feel I deserve, I also connect in some weird way to the abuser because they had abuse to to be an abuser, whether it's having control or power to protect themselves from people or learnt behaviour.

And as said above, law of attraction isn't so positive if it's a case of 'well you didn't manifest enough or accurately so unfortunately this is why that didn't work out'. It seems a bizarre concept to me and not as positive as is made out as people worry if they are manifesting or completing the exercises to the best ability. I'd rather live life knowing if something is supposed to happen it will or it won't.

From a skim read, this sounds ludicrously close to the “Spacestar Ordering” used by Matt Berry as Douglas Reynholm in the excellent telly comedy series The IT Crowd:

“Douglas became a Spaceologist after meeting the founder of Spaceology Beth Gaga Shaggy on holiday. Spaceology, or spacestar ordering, is the belief that anything can be achieved by "the twin scientific principles of star maths and wishy thinking," or in layman's terms wishing to the stars and planets.”

https://theitcrowd.fandom.com/wiki/Douglas_Reynholm

maximus otter

Positive thoughts and actions may lead to good outcomes. But no amount of thinking will change other people or their actions.

Sometimes you can work really hard at something but other forces outside of yourself seem to prevent you getting the goal you aimed for.

I find the positive affirmation/law of attraction/visualisation industry rather unwell in the way some practitioners claim that you either don't believe your affirmations or aren't doing them enough if you don't achieve what you want.

Louise Hay says this - basically blaming the reader if they don't get the results they wanted and putting the onus on them to work harder at it or buy another book, CD, go on another weekend retreat etc....or it is their fault for not believing it etc....She build a good business out of it.

What if the universe simply doesn't give "it" to you despite all your affirmations/work? Will all this positive thinking feel worthwhile or will you feel very disillusioned by it all and possibly worse than before?

Louise Hay seemed to suggest that negative thoughts prevented good progress/outcomes and healing - blaming the sick person because they have made themselves unwell by the power of thought.

What really angered me when I listened to some Louise Hay CDs was that she seemed to perpetrate the idea that you could control your health/healing by your thoughts/mind. She made that claim about all sorts of illnesses/ailments and perpetrated the idea of healing by natural remedies/treatments and thought power. I think that sort of claim is very irresponsible/dangerous.

A positive outlook is great.

Visualising how you want things to turn out is also great i.e. rehearsing likely questions ahead of a job interview.

But...it doesn't mean things will happen that way.
You should expect the unexpected.

And it doesn't mean that what you want, is actually good for you.

A positive outlook is great.

Visualising how you want things to turn out is also great i.e. rehearsing likely questions ahead of a job interview.

But...it doesn't mean things will happen that way.
You should expect the unexpected.

And it doesn't mean that what you want, is actually good for you.
That may be the best lesson a person can learn. :cool:
The grass is always greener....

The grass is always greener....
So true. :(

In fact that very phrase was recently used by a colleague in a conversation about his recent-ish relationship break-up.

Colleague was referring to his ex's current preference for some other bloke. As Colleague can be a bitter and vengeful individual who plays nasty pranks I wouldn't want to be in Other Bloke's shoes. ;)

And then there are those who never even have to wish for anything -
I know a woman who lived at home until she got married to a wonderful man, she had lived with her Mother who took care of her every need, had two older brothers who treated her like a princess, she has always had high-paying jobs, her husband has his own business and bought her a beautiful home, he absolutely adores her, she has never had to want for anything. Always drives a brand new Mercedes, designer clothing, she has it all.
And this woman is as beautiful on the outside as she is on the inside. Everyone loves her, as do I.
Is it Fate, or simple Good Luck? I always get the feeling that she has never had one single worry in her entire life, perhaps she was born under a lucky star, if there is such a thing.

Positive thoughts and actions may lead to good outcomes. But no amount of thinking will change other people or their actions.

Sometimes you can work really hard at something but other forces outside of yourself seem to prevent you getting the goal you aimed for.

I find the positive affirmation/law of attraction/visualisation industry rather unwell in the way some practitioners claim that you either don't believe your affirmations or aren't doing them enough if you don't achieve what you want.

Louise Hay says this - basically blaming the reader if they don't get the results they wanted and putting the onus on them to work harder at it or buy another book, CD, go on another weekend retreat etc....or it is their fault for not believing it etc....She build a good business out of it.

What if the universe simply doesn't give "it" to you despite all your affirmations/work? Will all this positive thinking feel worthwhile or will you feel very disillusioned by it all and possibly worse than before?

Louise Hay seemed to suggest that negative thoughts prevented good progress/outcomes and healing - blaming the sick person because they have made themselves unwell by the power of thought.

What really angered me when I listened to some Louise Hay CDs was that she seemed to perpetrate the idea that you could control your health/healing by your thoughts/mind. She made that claim about all sorts of illnesses/ailments and perpetrated the idea of healing by natural remedies/treatments and thought power. I think that sort of claim is very irresponsible/dangerous.
Great points. So, Louise Hays, she apparently did not try hard enough to avoid death. (snark snaark snaaark...)
Yes, these people do real harm.

I know a woman who lived at home until she got married to a wonderful man, she had lived with her Mother who took care of her every need, had two older brothers who treated her like a princess, she has always had high-paying jobs, her husband has his own business and bought her a beautiful home, he absolutely adores her, she has never had to want for anything. Always drives a brand new Mercedes, designer clothing, she has it all.
And this woman is as beautiful on the outside as she is on the inside. Everyone loves her, as do I.
Is it Fate, or simple Good Luck? I always get the feeling that she has never had one single worry in her entire life, perhaps she was born under a lucky star, if there is such a thing.
I think some people get offended if you suggest they are lucky. They feel like their "hard work" or talents are not appreciated.

But there are some people who work hard/have talents/don't have the luck/don't get the same results....

Some people do seem to be lucky. Some people do seem to have bad luck.

The only lesson I think I have learnt is that maybe I left it too late to make positive changes in my life. I can try as hard as I want, but I think external forces are preventing me from getting the outcomes. I don't expect every thing to work out how I want. But how come not one thing works out?

Yes, sometimes we don't know what is best for us. But nothing I seem to try for ever happens. It is as if the more I try to reach for something, it is being pulled or pushed further away....and not aided by me getting older and having less time to get there.....

Anyway, that is just my experience/feelings.....

Yes, I have really tried to use positive affirmations and for a time I felt they were helping me, but.....
after some time I felt exhausted, depressed because nothing seemed to be changing and it was like I was just trying to fool myself against all the available evidence in the world that it was going to happen.....and unless you have a magic money tree, you have to admit that all that work/positive thinking is not working and perhaps never will. And you feel worse than you did before because you feel conned, depressed and exhausted.....You have had to go "backwards" and return temporarily to a job you hate - and that feels bad. You try to be positive about that/work hard but end up feeling exploited/used.

That knocks your self esteem...

And then you get told to do CBT which seems very similar to the magical thinking of law of attraction.....

It is all very well making changes to yourself/changing your actions.
But the outside world is what it is.
I just don't fit into it and am not successful or happy.

Anyway I shall shut up now - I think maybe I should leave this thread alone because it will make me feel worse if I come back to it again!

One does not know what happens to people after they are born.

One of my grandsons has Dyslexia, but he has over come this learning problem with age.

I know of a child who died from a brain tumor.

Who is going to be rich and lucky is like asking where did the universe come from.

My wife and I started off really poor with only a bed, kitchen table and TV in our first apartment.

But we always optimistic things would get better and they did.

Edit—-

Talk about bad luck, my father was carrying our wedding gifts in his car and someone stole his car and our wedding gifts.

We never received our wedding gifts and his car was never seen again.

Last edited:
The only lesson I think I have learnt is that maybe I left it too late to make positive changes in my life. I can try as hard as I want, but I think external forces are preventing me from getting the outcomes. I don't expect every thing to work out how I want. But how come not one thing works out?
Don't give up. Keep on with your changes and your ambitions. Keep going.

On the work front, be pragamatic.
If the perfect job happens, then great.
If it doesn't happen, there might be something else which is not bad at all and you quite like it.

I hope that does not read as patronising, it certainly is not mean to be. It comes from my experience of work.

Last edited:
Don't give up. Keep on with your changes and your ambitions. Keep going.

On the work front, be pragamatic.
If the perfect job doesn't happen, there might be something else which is not bad and you quite like it.

I hope that does not read as patronising, it certainly is not mean to be. It comes from my experience of work.
I so agree - keep moving forward, I have had jobs that didn't seem to be the right fit at first, but they worked out to be the best thing.
Meeting new people, making new friends, changes of scenery are all important. Sometimes if we don't fit in one place, somewhere else is meant for us.

... It is all very well making changes to yourself/changing your actions.
But the outside world is what it is. ...

This is the key point ... No amount of self-development (-realization; -improvement; etc.) will make a difference until and unless you act on it and leverage the results out there in the "outside world."

Yes, it's scary to take that first step, make adjustments / sacrifices, and risk failure. However, there will be no journey from where you currently sit until you do so.

It's cost me a lot of time, effort, drudgery, personal losses, existential angst, etc., over the last half-century of formulating a sort of life plan, choosing the elements / themes to serve as objectives, screwing my courage to the sticking point, and repeatedly setting out to stubbornly take the next step leading to those objectives. On the other hand it's been a "long strange trip", the quest itself was entertaining and enervating ("Getting there is half the fun!"), and I've accumulated a lot of experiences and 'war stories' to remind me I actually *lived* my life.

I'm proud to look back and see that I ended up realizing all the essential elements of the vision I set for myself. Things could have gone a lot differently at several of the key junctures along the way. Some of the most significant advances would be accurately characterized as lucky breaks. However, I didn't (and still don't) frame those advances as something the external world gifted me (either as "luck" or reward for hard work), but rather opportunities I evaluated and elected to seize (in some cases, at even more "expense").

There's no guarantee that taking such risks "out there" will necessarily lead you where you want to go. There's also no guarantee that if you arrive where you wanted to go you're going to be happy being there.

In contrast, it's a sure bet that you'll never shift the direction and trajectory of your life without making yourself go "out there" and quest for your goals.

Over the last 40-some years a number of family members and friends have complimented my successes and asked how they, too, could achieve similar progress. Once I coached them on what had to be done, only a minority of them ever took that first step to go out and actively try it. All of those who tried achieved some sort of personal advancement. Many of those who didn't try spent the rest of their lives complaining about their lot in life and blaming it on a cruel world.

I' ve come across people like that. But many of the "virtues" you mention are actually quite superficial. It is of course very easy to be beautiful on the inside if you have all that going for you (although even that seems to elude some in that category). One wonders if these characters could actually cope with the inevitable major life challenges that most face and if the superficial façade would come tumbling down around them as a consequence. Even from a teenager I've never been jealous of these characters, because, behind it all, I've always suspected there will be insecurity and fear that their "lifestyle" ( I hate that word) will come to an end, or they totally lack the perception that it might.

I' ve come across people like that. But many of the "virtues" you mention are actually quite superficial. It is of course very easy to be beautiful on the inside if you have all that going for you (although even that seems to elude some in that category). One wonders if these characters could actually cope with the inevitable major life challenges that most face and if the superficial façade would come tumbling down around them as a consequence. Even from a teenager I've never been jealous of these characters, because, behind it all, I've always suspected there will be insecurity and fear that their "lifestyle" ( I hate that word) will come to an end, or they totally lack the perception that it might.
Exactly what I think, they probably would never be able to deal with normal life, and probably will never have to.
I actually admire how she 'skates' above it all, with nothing really touching her.
And I have also seen Karma come around, speaking of the Law of Attraction. Very strange how that works, don't know if Karma is always watching, but it seems to.

Exactly what I think, they probably would never be able to deal with normal life, and probably will never have to.
I actually admire how she 'skates' above it all, with nothing really touching her.
And I have also seen Karma come around, speaking of the Law of Attraction. Very strange how that works, don't know if Karma is always watching, but it seems to.
Oh another thing - Karma.....

I have had some bad experiences in my life relationship wise. 2 exes.

Both of them did awful things in different ways/circumstances. If there was karma surely they would both be suffering in relationships where they were being gaslighted/their partners were having affairs/they were generous and ended up with nothing left/they were being controlled/bullied/threatened/they were ghosted etc?

Both of them seem to be doing well now. Couldn't help myself but searched/found both of them on social media and they are both married now. I didn't contact them because I have no intention of every wasting any more time with them than I already have and I have nothing to say to them at all.

I long to meet someone special to enjoy life with. But nothing seems to happen. I have tried dating etc, tried not looking, tried evening classes and going out socially, going out alone to places (I am actually really fed up with my own company by now. Thank **** I have a cat in my lodgings to talk to). I just don't meet anyone right for me. Before lockdown I had finished a temp job/got fed up with going out and fed up with everything. Lockdown was actually quite welcome for me. I am applying for jobs/going for interviews and doing my best but nothing so far. The thought of having to go out every day to work/spend time with other people actually fills me with dread in reality.

I used to love meeting people and being social - when I was in relationship no 1 I ended up in London and liked the transport being so much better for getting out and about. But there are downsides to London too.

As you get older you end up being the oldest single in the group and there aren't any other singles there apart from much younger people who have no reason to want to pair up with you.

I have put a lot of work into learning new skills, applying for different jobs, trying to look on the positive possibilities that might be out there. I have worked so hard - and many people would see all my qualifications as success (especially as I was written off at 11). But they seem to have lead me into a line of work that hit a dead end and when I tried to learn new things/change that didn't work out. Many people would see me leaving that work and trying something new as success - but it didn't lead anywhere positive.

My experience so far is not very positive. And some of the learning new skills/getting qualifications etc was 10 years ago. I didn't manage to make enough money in those new skills/jobs to carry on. I have transferable skills, and apply for different jobs but I suspect when employers have others with directly related work experience they would rather take them on.

Being on my own I need to earn enough to live on. And in reality by the age of 50 I anticipated having a much more happy life with a companion, pets and home to live in, friends and social life. I never thought I would be on my own living like Miss Havisham (minus the wealth of course).....

If I could go in a time machine and warn myself I would.....

But Law of attraction/karma......

Both of them did awful things in different ways/circumstances. If there was karma surely they would both be suffering in relationships where they were being gaslighted/their partners were having affairs/they were generous and ended up with nothing left/they were being controlled/bullied/threatened/they were ghosted etc?

Both of them seem to be doing well now. Couldn't help myself but searched/found both of them on social media and they are both married now. I didn't contact them because I have no intention of every wasting any more time with them than I already have and I have nothing to say to them at all.

I long to meet someone special to enjoy life with. But nothing seems to happen. I have tried dating etc, tried not looking, tried evening classes and going out socially, going out alone to places (I am actually really fed up with my own company by now. Thank **** I have a cat in my lodgings to talk to). I just don't meet anyone right for me. Before lockdown I had finished a temp job/got fed up with going out and fed up with everything. Lockdown was actually quite welcome for me. I am applying for jobs/going for interviews and doing my best but nothing so far. The thought of having to go out every day to work/spend time with other people actually fills me with dread in reality.

I used to love meeting people and being social - when I was in relationship no 1 I ended up in London and liked the transport being so much better for getting out and about. But there are downsides to London too.

As you get older you end up being the oldest single in the group and there aren't any other singles there apart from much younger people who have no reason to want to pair up with you.

I have put a lot of work into learning new skills, applying for different jobs, trying to look on the positive possibilities that might be out there. I have worked so hard - and many people would see all my qualifications as success (especially as I was written off at 11). But they seem to have lead me into a line of work that hit a dead end and when I tried to learn new things/change that didn't work out. Many people would see me leaving that work and trying something new as success - but it didn't lead anywhere positive.

My experience so far is not very positive. And some of the learning new skills/getting qualifications etc was 10 years ago. I didn't manage to make enough money in those new skills/jobs to carry on. I have transferable skills, and apply for different jobs but I suspect when employers have others with directly related work experience they would rather take them on.

Being on my own I need to earn enough to live on. And in reality by the age of 50 I anticipated having a much more happy life with a companion, pets and home to live in, friends and social life. I never thought I would be on my own living like Miss Havisham (minus the wealth of course).....

With my history of clinical depression when young, I know exactly where you're coming from. No one knows how many times I have wished I could go back in time and speak to my younger self, I would be living / working in a happier, better place with a different life.
I have learned to live in today, and only the future matters really, because I cannot change the past. And I too hope that a better job comes along, I keep applying every single day, sooner or later the right thing will come along.
Also I avoid looking back, doesn't do much good. As for relationships, those were just the wrong people for you, there are lots of them, try to get out there and put a smile on your face which will attract some friendly conversations. Making new friends is always the best way to meet lots more new people. Finding others who have the same interests as yourself is always a great help, whether it's fishing or cooking, whatever. Maybe take up a class on some interest, volunteer in a neighborhood animal organization or at the local hospital, keep busy helping others, avoid being alone for great lengths of time, it leads to brooding. Be interested in everything - you never know where it might lead to!
Just some advice from someone who's been there.

Last edited:
@Earthly oddity

You don't know if your ex partners are happy.

You've seen their social media posts....which only show what they want others to see.

Please don't look again, what do you care if they are happy or not?

You truly have done all the right things, but keep doing them.
The last two years have been irrelevant for socialising and meeting people.

I knw it ieasier said than done, and I don't know what line of work you are lookign for.
But perhaps learn a software package that is in demand now, and put together a website showing what you can produce with that software...if it is photography video editing audio editing etc.

Might even want to try group therapy - there are lots of folks out there who feel the same, great place to perhaps meet non-judgmental and like-minded individuals who are also searching for a better life.

I have discovered, in my life, that the most difficult thing to learn and do is to show compassion for yourself. This idea of LOA sets many people up for feeling discontentment and believing that they have failed with their lives. Take time to consider whether you would judge a friend as harshly if s/he expressed that s/he didn’t feel that anything was working out for them.

I know that I judge myself much worse for petty things and give myself little credit for coming through difficult times than I ever do to friends and family, and even strangers. To show yourself compassion and to allow you to treat yourself as if you are a good friend is the best thing you can do for yourself and to find what is right for you in your life.

This is what imo LOA totally misses. But then, again, people couldn’t become “gurus” to tell others what they should be doing to make their lives better.

Jumping off my soap box now:)

Back