• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Local & Dialect Words

I was thinking this morning about my Mum because I was making a stew. Now, I call the fluffy suet-and-flour (and sometimes herbs or cheese) things that float in a stew 'dumplings'. But I was remembering that my mum used to call them 'doughboys'. As far as I am aware, dumplings is the usual word and you can buy 'dumpling mix' in packets (which is just flour and suet and you add water).

Mum came from Windsor originally - is it a south eastern word? Or did it arise in the family?
Windsor is super posh,there was an American army camp not far during the Second World War,maybe the word bled over to the locals vocab?

Windsor is super posh,there was an American army camp not far during the Second World War,maybe the word bled over to the locals vocab?
Ha ha, not all Windsor is super posh! My mum grew up sitting on deck chairs because her mother couldn't afford furniture! But there could be a USA crossover - do they call dumplings doughboys in the States?

Ha ha, not all Windsor is super posh! My mum grew up sitting on deck chairs because her mother couldn't afford furniture! But there could be a USA crossover - do they call dumplings doughboys in the States?
Doughboys was a nickname for American troops way back when.I am in Windsor often,I always feel like a peasant :rolleyes:

As far as I'm aware 'doughboy' was an American term for themselves - a plain soldier. As such, I don't know the derivation.

I am in Windsor often,I always feel like a peasant :rolleyes:
tt.jpg

As far as I'm aware 'doughboy' was an American term for themselves - a plain soldier. As such, I don't know the derivation.
Found this section in Wikipedia, which mentions ~
The origins of the term are unclear, though it was in wide circulation a century earlier in Britain & America - with different meanings.
Admiral Nelson and the Duke of Wellington's soldiers in Spain were both familiar with fried dumplings called 'doughboys.'
In America, it was apparently applied to
young bakers boy apprentices as being 'doughboys.' A pre-cursor to the doughnut.

Found this section in Wikipedia, which mentions ~
The origins of the term are unclear, though it was in wide circulation a century earlier in Britain & America - with different meanings.
Admiral Nelson and the Duke of Wellington's soldiers in Spain were both familiar with fried dumplings called 'doughboys.'
In America, it was apparently applied to
young bakers boy apprentices as being 'doughboys.' A pre-cursor to the doughnut.
this is one of those where you realize several usages existed simultaneously... and then wonder which was first....

Back