• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Local Hauntings

_schnor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm not sure if it's already been done here, but after browsing the local beeb news, I found a little gem from my area - it covers many different regions across the UK so why not read up on your local spooks :)

The image of "Tom" is one I hadn't seen before...
Rose Mary actually posts "updates" on this very
MB from time to time...

The UFO photos... hmmm... lens flare and cloud...
in that order. ;)

TVgeek

Oh there's mystery abounds back at home!

Here's one on a site that usually makes me homesick on a Sunday evening :sad:

http://www.colwyn1.freeserve.co.uk/strange.htm

Interestingly, when the tree was lit up like that around the millenium, I tried to climb up it on New Year's Eve/Day.

Being rather drunk I fell out of it and rolled down the Cayley Embankment, hurting my shoulder and knee and getting caked in mud. :)

I may be being very stupid but I can't seem to get that first link to show any info on any areas apart from Wales..

melf said:
mr dave:-
the link doesnt seem to work for some reason :(

Aye, it don't anymore! :rolleyes: Thanks for letting me know Melf! :)

This one still works, the list of regions down the left of the page is still being compiled so your locality may not be represented yet!

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/

here is a report in my local paper this week:
(not sure if this is the right thread, don't mind if it finds a new home)

From "Ghosts and Witches of the Cotswolds" by J A Brooks:

The road between Burford and Minster Lovell is feared for its strange black cloud which, if it envelops you, generates an overpowering feeling of terror. If animals are caught in it they are driven frantic and some never recover.

and in the same area:

Minster Lovell Hall is haunted by the spirit of Lord Lovell who disastrously chose to support the cause of the pretender, Lambert Simnel, in 1487. After the Battle of Stoke in which the rebellion was quashed he hid in a secret room in the Hall, looked after by one servant who was the only person who knew his whereabouts. Unfortunately this servant died and the hiding-place remained secret until 1718 when it was revealed by structural alterations. Lord Lovell's skeleton was seated at the table; at his feet were the bones of his dog.

:)

Jane.

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / time if known: Unknown
Further comments: This fellow took his own life when he realised that his mistress would never love him. His body was found at the bottom of the large spiral staircase, and it is the same area that he still haunts.

This is so cool, I studied at that site but I don't recall anyone ever mentioning it to me...

Not sure if this fits here
There's a super spooky Mickey Mouse toy living on the Barbican
By Plymouth Herald | Posted: July 06, 2017
Video: 3m 01s.

Plymouth is full of weird and wonderful stories about ghosts - and some seem more credible than others.
But have you ever heard about the legend of Haunted Mickey? It's sure to fascinate you.
It all started in 2012 when Michael Pomeroy, owner of Something Different, on Barbican's New Street, bought a regular 1960s soft Mickey Mouse doll.
It was a seven inch tall soft toy made of foam with a metal inner frame and no mechanical parts at all.

He placed it in a corner against a cabinet as it would not stand by itself - but one day when he returned and turned all the lights on, he noticed Mickey was on the floor about 16 inches from where he had left him.

He went and checked the CCTV footage for that night; which incredibly shows at 03.52am Mickey WALKING about eight inches and falling off the plinth the cabinet stands on. Watch it for yourself in the video below - spooky!
"My first reaction was utter amazement," stated Pomeroy in an interview, "that a soft toy, with no moving parts moved 16 inches by itself."

While Haunted Mickey has become a paranormal phenomenon in itself, Michael asserts that the foam doll is not actually possessed but rather that the paranormal activity comes from whatever spirits occupy the building.

The spirits have shown no interest in any of the other vintage toys so why they have a particular proclivity for the 1964 reincarnation of Mickey Mouse is another mystery on its own.

After a six year tenure, Something Different has moved across the square into a shared shop with Sue Buckingham Vintage Jewellery.

etc...

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/the...the-barbican/story-30427609-detail/story.html

Not sure the 27s. video shows much...

It's pretty indistinct. They must have filmed it with a potato.
It does show something anomalous though.

It's pretty indistinct. They must have filmed it with a potato.
It does show something anomalous though.

And saying it walked is a bit of a stretch. The movement doesn't look natural, though.

One semi local to me from the paranormal database:

Monk Without a Face
na.gif

Kenilworth - St Nicholas church and the avenued path which leads to Bridge Street
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Monk unknown, doppelgangers in 1997
Further Comments: This area is said to be haunted by a faceless monk who once inhabited the nearby abbey. Two people in the St Nicholas graveyard during 1997 thought they were being followed. They stopped, only to realise that the people behind them were them, going through the motions of their own actions moments earlier!

It's interesting, because local stories I've heard from my hometown place the monk in question in the opposite direction. Not southeast towards Bridge Street, but west - up the old high street and down towards Castle Hill.

The houses in that area are very old, some in fact going back to times before Kenilworth Castle was ruined. And the stretch between St Nicholas Church and graveyard and Castle Hill is known locally for being a ghost walk site.

Back in the early 2000s my wife had just moved down to the area from The Wirral, and began renting in a houseshare on Castle Hill. It was 2 houses in that long terrace which had been knocked through into one back in the 80s.

She only stayed there for as long as her initial lease (the landlady was a bit of nightmare by all accounts) but see also got majorly wigged out by the place. Not just because it was cold as hell and a little ye olde world. It came when one of her flatmates saw something.

This would have been 2002, and he was a very sane and rational individual who worked for Warwickshire air ambulance. Late one evening he witnessed (as he described it) a tall dark figure walk in front of him and through the partition door between the two houses, while he was sitting at that the rear of the downstairs living room.

It didn't really have any specific features, he told us. No face to speak of. Just a figure which appeared out of nowhere and walked between the two houses. He got up to look where it had it went (and to see if it was still there) but it was gone. He was properly freaked out by it, he told us. He was alone in the house at the time and had to check every room he could (some were locked - as it was a multi person residence) because he was afraid there was some kind of intruder or something.

He refused to even contemplate that he had seen a ghost, but didn't know how else to describe it.

Funnily enough he decided not to renew his tenancy, soon after. :)

Speaking to some of the neighbours at the time we discovered this was a well known occurrence. This was known as a monks walk between the church and castle. The houses on this side of the street had been build later, and it was presumed that they had built on top of of an original path once walked by monks between the two sites.

Can't comment on the doppelganger thing, though. Never heard of that. Mind you, St Nicholas Church sits at one end of the Abbey Fields - a large Park. In 1997 I was a college student in the town. I can think of quite a few people who used to hang around Abbey Fields in those days, taking Acid. I'd think that more likely responsible. :)

Last edited:
All,

Here's one from the town where I grew up:

Berwick Advertiser

The Jack Dee story particularly interests me because I heard him taking about it on R4. He reckoned the house was so haunted that they had an exorcist in. Whoever it was came, did their stuff and went, but one part of the place remained 'disturbed'.

Turned out, they'd had every room blessed except the attic, which was still active. They had the exorcist back pretty smartish and all went quiet, this time for good.

I see that the first link that I posted above has gone the way of all flesh.

Here's a follow-up to the story from the same local paper, along with a brief mention of two further local hauntings.

The haunting was first noticed when the Berwick BHF branch decided to rent some of the upstairs space above the Marygate shop.
Debbie describes some of the classic signs of the supernatural that have become part of the staff’s normal routine.
“Things move,” she says. “We often hear footsteps going up and down the stairs, and wandering around on the floor above. I went into my little office upstairs one day and the files on my top shelf were all falling. Well, falling in slow motion, as if they were being taken down by something I couldn’t see.
“Only this week we were locking up, with everybody upstairs getting their coats together. Suddenly the downstairs door just creaked open and then closed, completely on its own.

“And just this Saturday I was working up here on my own. I heard footsteps in the kitchen, and when I called out, there was nobody there.”

Here's the shop in question.

"I went into my little office upstairs one day and the files on my top shelf were all falling. Well, falling in slow motion, as if they were being taken down by something I couldn’t see." :pop:

I could make up some details if you wish. There was a difficulty that arose in trying to quote the story. Except for the (miniscule) quote marks, the words look like my own, but they are from the story that Calgacus03 posted :
https://www.berwick-advertiser.co.uk/news/haunted-shop-staff-scared-stiff-ghost-2355707
As of this post, no further stories have been located regarding this particular ghost or what the planned stay over brought. (I'm sleepy.)

The stuff that used to happen at my old family home was too much sometimes as my mothers boyfriend said he had a girl inside him and we had to get the priest in back in 1999 to clear the place but sadly the boyfriend continued his alcoholic way of life and died some years back but I think the priest did get rid of the Smoke swirling mist which I used to see in 1990 on a number of occasions but I still have nightmares of the attics.

Trawling through the endless channels looking for something to watch I stumbled across a programme called Hidden Realms on Prime. It jumped immediately to Episode 2 of the first series so I must have seen episode 1 before. Lo and behold it opened with some scenery I immediately recognised as being the old Rivenhall Airfield. This is where our syndicate has shot for over 25 years and where we have been members for the last 10 years or more.
Chris Halton, the host, made his way through bunkers and Nissan huts, some of which are there still and some that have now gone. During the shooting season we beat through those huts and have even taken refuge on cold winter nights when Roost Shooting. He told many stories of the paranormal encounters he has experienced in those huts whilst me and the trouble and strife looked bemused. In all the years shooting that land and beating through the old huts we have experienced diddly squat.

I now look forward to next season when I can pay a little more attention whilst passing through the old huts.

Trawling through the endless channels looking for something to watch I stumbled across a programme called Hidden Realms on Prime. It jumped immediately to Episode 2 of the first series so I must have seen episode 1 before. Lo and behold it opened with some scenery I immediately recognised as being the old Rivenhall Airfield. This is where our syndicate has shot for over 25 years and where we have been members for the last 10 years or more.
Chris Halton, the host, made his way through bunkers and Nissan huts, some of which are there still and some that have now gone. During the shooting season we beat through those huts and have even taken refuge on cold winter nights when Roost Shooting. He told many stories of the paranormal encounters he has experienced in those huts whilst me and the trouble and strife looked bemused. In all the years shooting that land and beating through the old huts we have experienced diddly squat.

I now look forward to next season when I can pay a little more attention whilst passing through the old huts.
Have you ever encountered him while going that way?

There is a lane near where I live (Shelford Lane) that local old boys have warned me about - apparently if you're driving along it sometimes a road goes off it (sometimes it's not there!) to the south and apparently according to said old gentleman it's a really bad idea to take it! Does this count as a ghost road?

There is a lane near where I live (Shelford Lane) that local old boys have warned me about - apparently if you're driving along it sometimes a road goes off it (sometimes it's not there!) to the south and apparently according to said old gentleman it's a really bad idea to take it! Does this count as a ghost road?

If it's the Shelford Lane I'm thinking of it is very, very local to me - might go for a drive up it tonight after work!

If it's the Shelford Lane I'm thinking of it is very, very local to me - might go for a drive up it tonight after work!
I used to drive along it regularly when the pub at end of it was open (was my local) but must admit never saw anything unusual

Back